Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #421
misscues
only new here
 
misscues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: KY
Posts: 9

Question DSA @ CBR C Beach that is

Hi all,

We leave in a week and I am so glad to have found this board; thanks for all the info. Once I found out about this new policy, I wasn't looking forward to it but your post here are helping to easy that feeling. To be truthful, the only reason we are still staying onsite is the dining plan. Guess we will see how it goes this time.

I know the maps are posted (Thanks) and so on but I also see from the post that there seem to be more, and sometimes less, DSA's then noted on the maps so I thought I should ask how they are at CBeach. Anyone there since this began? We have requested (and paid for) first floor, pool side/view, near DSA in Martinique. Any suggestions? Thanks bunches and have a magical day.

Also, we always smoked before entering a park (ie from bus or parking) is this out now?
__________________
* 9/1985 Ho Jo's maingate * 2/2001 Westgate Lakes wonderful! DD 5th * 10/2003 PORiverside * 12/2004 CBeach * 10/2005 PORiverside Magnolia side * 10/2006 Sea World, Universal @ Double Tree * party 02/2007 Contemporary * DSA 10/2007 CBeach *
* 10/2008 Sheraton Vistana *

Last edited by misscues; 10-06-2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: adding a question to post
misscues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #422
darlak
By the way, if my children ever see this, I'll deny writing it
I think that may just be one of those things southern girls are born knowing how to cook
 
darlak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The River"
Posts: 3,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscues View Post
Also, we always smoked before entering a park (ie from bus or parking) is this out now?

We smoke then too and have continued to do so as recently as last week. It was never a problem.
darlak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #423
KodakFigment
Mouseketeer
 
KodakFigment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 5 minutes from WDW's backdoor
Posts: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscues View Post
Hi all,


I know the maps are posted (Thanks) and so on but I also see from the post that there seem to be more, and sometimes less, DSA's then noted on the maps so I thought I should ask how they are at CBeach. Anyone there since this began?
We were there at the end of August. When I looked at the maps it seemed as though there were DSA's everywhere. But the only ones we saw at Martinique were along the pathway by the lake and one back behind the quiet pool laundry building. We saw a number of people smoking on the balcony and at the entrances to the stairwells. (They did try and hide when they saw others coming )
__________________
Eureka! You've got a Figment



Halfway through the Resort list - but now living only minutes away
KodakFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #424
misscues
only new here
 
misscues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: KY
Posts: 9

Thanks everyone for the info. I will be happy to share any additions when we return.
__________________
* 9/1985 Ho Jo's maingate * 2/2001 Westgate Lakes wonderful! DD 5th * 10/2003 PORiverside * 12/2004 CBeach * 10/2005 PORiverside Magnolia side * 10/2006 Sea World, Universal @ Double Tree * party 02/2007 Contemporary * DSA 10/2007 CBeach *
* 10/2008 Sheraton Vistana *
misscues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #425
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious
 
lisalonglash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lower Mainland, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,218

What a helpful thread!

So, can anyone tell me which buildings/rooms (we're booking 4 rooms for our Grand Gathering next October) at ASMovies are the absolute closest to a DSA? One of our party's smokers is mobility-challenged, so I'd think a ground floor room would be necessary for at least one of the rooms. Thanks!
__________________
Lisa P.
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)



September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
lisalonglash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #426
lillielil
But why is all the rum gone?
 
lillielil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 585

I recently came back from a trip for the first time since the new policy. As a smoker, my problem with it is this:

At resorts, there is often a DSA right ouside one or more of the primary doors to the main building (I toured nearly all the delux resorts and stayed at POP - one thing I checked out at each was the DSA situation). This is disgusting. Even as someone who smokes, I do not want to walk through a cloud of 20 or more people smoking on my way in to breakfast. I never noticed this problem before, and don't know what a good solution is.

The other thing that bummed me out was in the parks, which have had DSAs for a while (which I always found to be convenient and usually well shaded and/or themed). A number of families seem to think that DSA = good place to set up shop with the kiddos to have lunch. Some of these families then glare at smokers, who can't exactly get up and leave to find a less obtrusive place to smoke. This was especially prevalent in the DSA across from Aloha Isle in MK. Again, I don't know what the solution is - maybe more benches outside of DSAs?
__________________
[insert cool sparkly signature with happy countdowns here]
lillielil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #427
darlak
By the way, if my children ever see this, I'll deny writing it
I think that may just be one of those things southern girls are born knowing how to cook
 
darlak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The River"
Posts: 3,212

lillielil, I noticed that same problem at MK during my trip at the end of Sept. It happened almost everytime I sat down across from Aloha Isle to have my Dole Whip Float and then follow it up with a cigarette. The other really bad DSA for that problem seemed to be near the exit of Big Thunder Mountain. My DD's love that ride, but once is usually plenty for me, so I'll sit out the next time and have a cigarette while I wait. Once this mom and dad with 3 kids, including 2 in a double stroller, sat there the entire time complaining about why on earth WDW would allow people to sit there and smoke. I finally asked them if they were aware that they were sitting in a smoking area. They completely ignored me. After that, I just chain-smoked until my DD's got off BTM.

I respect the places where I'm not allowed to smoke, but I'm tired of being made to feel somehow less than human for just wanting to sit and enjoy a cigarette in the places designated for me to do so. My smoking is no more illegal than their rudeness, but somehow their rudeness is considered more acceptable.

Last edited by darlak; 10-12-2007 at 03:11 PM.
darlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #428
lillielil
But why is all the rum gone?
 
lillielil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlak View Post
lillielil, I noticed that same problem at MK during my trip at the end of Sept. It happened almost everytime I sat down across from Aloha Isle to have my Dole Whip Float and then follow it up with a cigarette. The other really bad DSA for that problem seemed to be near the exit of Big Thunder Mountain. My DD's love that ride, but once is usually plenty for me, so I'll sit out the next time and have a cigarette while I wait. Once this mom and dad with 3 kids, including 2 in a double stroller, sat there the entire time complaining about why on earth WDW would allow prople to sit there and smoke. I finally asked them if they were aware that they were sitting in a smoking area. They comppletely ignored me. After that, I just chain-smoked until my DD's got off BTM.

I respect the places where I'm not allowed to smoke, but I'm tired of being made to feel somehow less than human for just wanting to sit and enjoy a cigarette in the places designated for me to do so. My smoking is no more illegal than their rudeness, but somehow their rudeness is considered more acceptable.
I'm glad it's not just me! Now I'm reliving happy memories of Dole Whip Float -N- cigarette... but in my mind I'm erasing all the rude people!
__________________
[insert cool sparkly signature with happy countdowns here]
lillielil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #429
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!
 
Minnie&Nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: MA/NC
Posts: 15,702

As a non-smoker I feel terrible when I read how rude pople can be to smokers.

My son was a smoker, as well as my mother, and while neither smoked in my home (or my mother's for that matter) and it is important for me to have a smoke free balcony/walkway if I am in a non-smoking resort area, I really dislaike how some folks treat smokers as if they are breaking the law.

I agree about the new policy having DSA's near a resort entrance - no one wants to walk through smoke, but I can just imagine some guests giving the smokers dirty looks when it is not their fault. Disney needs to make this better for everyone and hope they realize their mistake and correct it soon!

What imagineer came up with that bright idea?? LOL

I am so sorry for all the non-smokers who continue to treat smokers with disrespect!
__________________
Christine

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #430
darlak
By the way, if my children ever see this, I'll deny writing it
I think that may just be one of those things southern girls are born knowing how to cook
 
darlak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The River"
Posts: 3,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaciBecky View Post
As a non-smoker I feel terrible when I read how rude pople can be to smokers.

My son was a smoker, as well as my mother, and while neither smoked in my home (or my mother's for that matter) and it is important for me to have a smoke free balcony/walkway if I am in a non-smoking resort area, I really dislaike how some folks treat smokers as if they are breaking the law.

I agree about the new policy having DSA's near a resort entrance - no one wants to walk through smoke, but I can just imagine some guests giving the smokers dirty looks when it is not their fault. Disney needs to make this better for everyone and hope they realize their mistake and correct it soon!

What imagineer came up with that bright idea?? LOL

I am so sorry for all the non-smokers who continue to treat smokers with disrespect!
Thank-you. You're the first non-smoker who's ever done that for me. I also hate that Pop's main DSA is located right outside the main exit to and from the lobby area. There is no way for anyone, smoker or not, to enter or exit from those main doors without walking through a haze of smoke. I tried to stick to the DSA's around the lake area, (you know, where all the joggers run!). I only saw 1 DSA at Pop that was covered and it was just one table near the Petals Pool Bar (alway a full crowd there) and it rained everyday we were there for at least a short while. I just took my umbrella and a towel and made the best of it. Most smokers I saw there were in the DSA's. The only one I ever saw not in a DSA was at around 3am. I woke up and went out for a smoke while it was raining and another smoker was sitting in the stairwell at the end of the building. Maybe I should have ratted her out, but I just didn't have the heart to. There are no room doorways anywhere near where she was, so I figured she probably wasn't bothering anyone.
darlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #431
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!
 
Minnie&Nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: MA/NC
Posts: 15,702

If Disney does not make it better for smokers and provide covered DSA's, how can they expect guests not to sit in stairwells (which does not sound very pleasant, but certainly thoughtful of the smoker)?

Darn, at least provide covered DSA's ~ is there not one CM who smokes who can understand and help with the planning?

In a way, I feel Disney is setting up smokers and non-smokers against one another by not providing convenient and covered DSA's...and what was wrong with smoking rooms? Makes no sense, in resorts as large as Disney's, to go totally non-smoking. It is not like one hotel in a city where guests can choose another hotel.

And one of the silliest ideas by Disney was making all along the lake at POP smoking ~ and uncovered at that! It can be a hike for smokers and just causes more friction when non-smokers cannot walk along the lake.

You''ll not find me frowning at smokers - no way. I feel bad and would not want to walk so far from my room to enjoy something that is perfectly legal and acceptable. After all, any of us can have a nice adult beverage in our room!!
__________________
Christine

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #432
darlak
By the way, if my children ever see this, I'll deny writing it
I think that may just be one of those things southern girls are born knowing how to cook
 
darlak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The River"
Posts: 3,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaciBecky View Post
If Disney does not make it better for smokers and provide covered DSA's, how can they expect guests not to sit in stairwells (which does not sound very pleasant, but certainly thoughtful of the smoker)?

Darn, at least provide covered DSA's ~ is there not one CM who smokes who can understand and help with the planning?

In a way, I feel Disney is setting up smokers and non-smokers against one another by not providing convenient and covered DSA's...and what was wrong with smoking rooms? Makes no sense, in resorts as large as Disney's, to go totally non-smoking. It is not like one hotel in a city where guests can choose another hotel.

And one of the silliest ideas by Disney was making all along the lake at POP smoking ~ and uncovered at that! It can be a hike for smokers and just causes more friction when non-smokers cannot walk along the lake.

You''ll not find me frowning at smokers - no way. I feel bad and would not want to walk so far from my room to enjoy something that is perfectly legal and acceptable. After all, any of us can have a nice adult beverage in our room!!

I agree! My DH and I have jokingly said that if Pop would just take one section...say the 90's (where hardly anyone wants to be anyway) and make it smoking optional, we would gladly pay a preferred rate for it and we would be away from all the non-smokers. Heck, if they would make it pet friendly too, we would pay a moderate rate to stay there! We always stay in the 50's or 60's now, but would happily be further away if we could smoke in our room and around the pool.

We've discussed buying an RV just so we can smoke in our living quarters and bring our dogs.
darlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #433
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!
 
Minnie&Nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: MA/NC
Posts: 15,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlak View Post
We've discussed buying an RV just so we can smoke in our living quarters and bring our dogs.
Your furbabies are darling!!

I know a couple of people who bought RV's so they could bring their furbabies to WDW!!

If I could afford it, would do the same thing...and the pups would feel right at home, rather than in a strange hotel room

Over at FW guests with RV's and pets know all the best sites to request.

Gee, I love dreaming of having my babies with me at WDW
__________________
Christine

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #434
wall6363
Earning My Ears
 
wall6363's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 42

Grand Floridian?

Hi,

Staying at the GF in November. Trying to get any information about the DSA smoking areas there. There seems to be less at this resort than some of the others. Has anyone stayed there since the new policy has gone into effect, any information would be helpful, as I am smoker and would like to request a room close to a DSA.

Also I notice they have a DSA on the third floor of the main building which looks like it might be a balcony area, is this DSA for all guests or just the conceirge guest in that main building, because I believe you have to have a special room key that gets you up to that level.

After reading through some of the posts here I feel Disney has done a non service to its non smoking guests and smoking guests by where they have some of these DSA are located, it seems like a no win situation for everyone. I have always smoked in DSA in the parks and feel I have been very considerate of others when smoking on resorts grounds. I always try to find a place out of the way of others. What I don't like as previously posted is when I am following the rules and smoking in the DSA and I am still treated like a criminal by other guests who wander into these areas or walk by and glare, wave there hands etc I feel these types of behaviors are people who are looking to insight smokers who are following the rules and quite frankly should mind their own business and move on. I am hopeful that my upcoming trip I will not have to expierence this, as it seems more people are aware of the smoking issues since this new policy has taken effect.

Thanks Wall
wall6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #435
abaldacci
DIS Veteran
I can smell rain coming
i would have been the black sheep because i was ALWAYS GETTING IN TROUBLE AND DOING EXACTLY what mom told me not to!
 
abaldacci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: gastonia
Posts: 1,547

I just returned from the poly where the smoking rules were not inforced at all and people smoked where every they wanted one man was smoking on a park bench waiting for the bus with tons of people around. I think that is terrible but I follow the rules and did not like walking out to a DSA to smoke so I will stay somewhere that I can smoke in my room.
__________________
abaldacci
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow a mystery
Today is a gift that is why it's called the PRESENT
abaldacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: