Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2007, 07:11 AM   #376
DoOverDreams
DIS Veteran

Smoking on Balconies at Dolphin?

Hey all. Happy Saturday. Question here that I hope someone can answer. My DH and I are coming down in January staying at the Dolphin (that darn Lotusphere conference....lol). We always stay in the Dolphin and have gotten smoking rooms with balconies.

When we called the conference hotel site we were told that no smoking is allowed on balconies anymore. All the smoking rooms are balcony-free.

Does anyone know if this is true? We've been getting conflicting reports between the conference hotel folks and the Dolphin directly.

BTW, we're booking through the conference site cause we're saving about $100 a night that way.

TIA
DoOverDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #377
Orelover
Mouseketeer

I would follow whatever the Dolphin is saying. I know somewere on this thread someone else confirmed by e-mail from the Dolphin that they will continue to have smoking rooms and have no plans in the future to change that, however they did not mention balconies. If the Dolphin says they have smoking rooms with balconies I would be more inclined to believe them than the conference site.

Member since '99
Orelover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #378
DrmWvr1299
the world IS a carousel of color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy's Mom View Post
When walking past the arcade, the DSA is immediatly after it. The outer wall of the arcade is (or the end of the building) it where it is, there is a garbage can there, make a right. Its after the "end of the building" but WAY before you get to the busses.

I haven't had coffee yet, so I'm thinking that this description isn't making much sense.

Thanks for the info, I do know where it is now.

Disbrother, Charlie 7-15-09
DrmWvr1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #379
darlak
By the way, if my children ever see this, I'll deny writing it
I think that may just be one of those things southern girls are born knowing how to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orelover View Post
I would follow whatever the Dolphin is saying. I know somewere on this thread someone else confirmed by e-mail from the Dolphin that they will continue to have smoking rooms and have no plans in the future to change that, however they did not mention balconies. If the Dolphin says they have smoking rooms with balconies I would be more inclined to believe them than the conference site.
I am the poster who reported that The Dolphin still has smoking rooms. I didn't ask specifically about balconies, so they didn't mention that in their response to my email. I can say that I had a 2-day turnaround from the date of my email to the date of their response. I would suggest emailing them directly with your specific questions.

Last edited by darlak; 09-12-2007 at 11:08 AM.
darlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #380
Tim68
Earning My Ears

Hi all. Appologies for going slightly off topic. Does anyone know if there are smoking areas at Orlando International Airport. Thanks very much.

Tim
Tim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #381
krbq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim68 View Post
Hi all. Appologies for going slightly off topic. Does anyone know if there are smoking areas at Orlando International Airport. Thanks very much.

Tim
When we were last there (Oct. 2006) we could only find one. It was near the entrance on the Departures level at the Terminal. For passengers just arriving by plane, take the escalators to that level, then back to Arrivals to claim your luggage (you'll have time while waiting for your bags to be unloaded). We were told by airport employees that there are no smoking areas on the Arrivals level anymore.

At the very end of the security video of Lisa Nowak (the astronaut who stalked and attacked another woman at the airport) she is seen walking through that smoking area, so I assume it was still there in February 2007 (you can see the ashtray in the video).
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #382
Mercy
never been tagged ... until now!!

Hi, going to book a WV room at the YC. Since my DH is a smoker, I was going to request a first floor room near one of the DSA's so he wouldn't have to walk thru the whole resort just to have a cigarette.

I assume he would be able to just walk out the sliding door to the outside, right? Where in the resort would be a good place to request this? We've never stayed here before.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #383
krbq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
Hi, going to book a WV room at the YC. Since my DH is a smoker, I was going to request a first floor room near one of the DSA's so he wouldn't have to walk thru the whole resort just to have a cigarette.

I assume he would be able to just walk out the sliding door to the outside, right? Where in the resort would be a good place to request this? We've never stayed here before.
Looking at the YC map, the DSA's closest to the first floor rooms appear to be near the tennis courts, the quiet pool, and the laundry room. Another poster on this thread stayed at the YC recently and, if I recall correctly, said she used the one near the tennis courts the most. If you're booking a water view room, the DSA near the laundry room would probably be the closest.
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #384
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

DSAs at ASMovies?

We're booking 3 rooms at ASMovies for next October. According to WDW Reservations person, the only rooms left are standard (all the preferred rooms are gone - already?!).

Which building/rooms should we book to be as close as humanly possible to a DSA?

Thanks much!
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
lisalonglash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #385
cc1075
cc

Booked for 2008 October?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonglash View Post
We're booking 3 rooms at ASMovies for next October. According to WDW Reservations person, the only rooms left are standard (all the preferred rooms are gone - already?!).

Which building/rooms should we book to be as close as humanly possible to a DSA?

Thanks much!
Do you mean this October 2007 or next October 2008 - - if you meant 2008 perhaps the CM was mistaken. Hard to believe they are already booked 13 months in advance!! If they are, we all had better start making our reservations years in advance!!!
cc1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #386
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

Yep, for next October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1075 View Post
Do you mean this October 2007 or next October 2008 - - if you meant 2008 perhaps the CM was mistaken. Hard to believe they are already booked 13 months in advance!! If they are, we all had better start making our reservations years in advance!!!
Evidently, that's was the Reservations Agent said. I asked my SIL if she was sure that's what she said and my SIL confirmed it LOL
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
lisalonglash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #387
Cindy's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonglash View Post
Evidently, that's was the Reservations Agent said. I asked my SIL if she was sure that's what she said and my SIL confirmed it LOL
I would call Disney myself and make sure that your reservations are for 2008 and NOT 2007. Just to be safe.

2013 - GF CL (June)
2012 - Off Site
2012 - On and Off Site
2011 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Easter Week: ASMo
2009 - WL
2008 - Yacht Club
2007 - WL (summer)
2007 - CBR (spring)
2006 - POP
2005 - POR
2004 - Nick Hotel

Cindy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #388
LBelle
I'm soooo jealos
That's the best tag everr!!!!!
Well boys and girls...time for me to rip this popsicle stand
Awwww.....the long ago days of Jello shooters

We just returned from a week at All Star Music (which was WONDERFUL!!!! beats POP hands down!). Anyhoo...NOTHING was said in regards to the resort having DSA's upon check in. People pretty much smoking everywhere. If not for the info. on the DIS, I would never have known there had been any change. For the most part, we kept our smoking to one of the 2 DSA's...which were not marked except that there were ashtrays. No problem late at night smoking by the pool area. We just steered clear of people and nobody was bothered. People were ALWAYS walking around smoking. Just some info. for you all.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #389
Cindy's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBelle View Post
We just returned from a week at All Star Music (which was WONDERFUL!!!! beats POP hands down!). Anyhoo...NOTHING was said in regards to the resort having DSA's upon check in. People pretty much smoking everywhere. If not for the info. on the DIS, I would never have known there had been any change. For the most part, we kept our smoking to one of the 2 DSA's...which were not marked except that there were ashtrays. No problem late at night smoking by the pool area. We just steered clear of people and nobody was bothered. People were ALWAYS walking around smoking. Just some info. for you all.
You know, I felt the same way at WL. If it weren't for the DIS - I would have had no idea that you can't smoke outside. Sometimes too much information isnt' a good thing

2013 - GF CL (June)
2012 - Off Site
2012 - On and Off Site
2011 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Easter Week: ASMo
2009 - WL
2008 - Yacht Club
2007 - WL (summer)
2007 - CBR (spring)
2006 - POP
2005 - POR
2004 - Nick Hotel

Cindy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #390
tracipierce
DIS Veteran

Hi,,, got back from POP last week and have to say that they were pretty much enforcing the no smoking rule! Similar to what others had posted, there was nothing mentioned at check in about where you could and couldn't smoke, but it was stated on the information we were given. Luckily my room was facing a DSA, even though I had to go down the stairs from the 4th floor to get there! (it was quicker than taking the elevator which was at the other end of the building) Late at night it was very tempting to have a cigarette on the balcony/walkway outside of the room, but I didn't. Which turned out to be the right decision as there was a guy a few doors down who did and got into trouble. Security came and warned him one night that he was not allowed to smoke there,,, but the next night he did it again and he got fined !
He was ranting about it the next morning in the smoking area, but hey he had been warned already :

We did get a couple of non smokers sitting on the bench at the DSA then wafting their arms about dramatically whenever someone lit up!!! Why oh why sit in a smoking area and then complain about the smoke??

There does seem to be different attitudes to smoking at different resorts we noticed. We went to AKL to eat at Boma, I went outside and asked a CM where could I go to smoke and he told me that as long as I was outside I could smoke anywhere... I was told the same at the GF, but at POP, I saw a few smokers being told that they needed to move to a DSA if they wanted to smoke.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: