Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #136
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

Hancock's has Disney fabric on thier site.

I can't sew, but I'm going to try to make a few Fish Extenders.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/shoppi...=0&viewAll.x=1
disneyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #137
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

A lot of people had really nice fish extenders on our cruise. I don't have a sewing machine, and really didn't have the time to hand-stitch one (plus, frankly, I'm just not that creative), but I wanted to participate in the fish-extender gift exchange. So, I went to Michael's and got two 6" canvas bags in lime-green for 99 cents each, and hand-stitched the handle of one to the bottom of the other one. I intended to put some appliques on them or other decorations, but really ran out of time, so all I did was put a couple of buttons that I had had made to give out with our cruise logo on them. I tied the bags to the fish outside with a ribbon from a gift that we had in our cabin, but I had also brought a cloth ribbon to use.

This worked out fine for us. This is nothing fancy, but I wanted to show that you can put anything out there that has a pocket & it can be used. Someone on our cruise had paper bags, and they worked perfectly.

Here's ours with some of the gifts we got hanging from it:

And here's how it looked next to our door.

You can click on the pics for a bigger image.

We gave out magnets & pens that I had made especially for the cruise (we also handed out those pens at our DIS Meet - there were a plethora of them). We got as gifts - dice and beads from Vegas, pin from Oklahoma and some paper, post-it notes that said Rome-ancing the Mouse (our logo from our cruise), taffy from New York, magnets for our door, a UK flag, bottle opener from the Coliseum, more candy, shaped soap, postcards, and other gifts of that type. These were really nice to receive each day. I also got a postcard from a non-DIS neighbor who saw my magnets on my door and gave me a postcard from his native Gibraltar. I thought that was so nice, so I gave him one of our pens. All of the gifts were nice, and I especially liked the ones that represented the area where they were from, and the small gifts of the places we had been, and the magnets that were inside jokes (like the paper of Sally with her propeller hat sitting next to the Pope.

Participating in the Fish Extender exchange really added to our trip.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #138
LoveMickey
Can't wait to feel the "wonder" of the Disney Wonder!

So today I went shopping for the material to make my fish extenders.

I'll make one for my nephew and wife's room too.

Can somenone show me what the back looks like? Do you just take the base material and use it on the front and back?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #139
AZKathy
We don't need to move to a warmer place!
We pile them up in the foyer
Hot for Frank or Doug or Edward from TS ... I'm not picky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMickey View Post

Can somenone show me what the back looks like? Do you just take the base material and use it on the front and back?

Thanks
I cut a 9"x27" piece of base material x 2. I put them right sides in and added a batting and sewed them together leaving a 2 inch opening and turned it right side out. I also included the ribbon in the sewing on the top leaving the ribbon on the "right" sides when sewing them in. I used the batting to make the base a little stronger; you could go without it if you want. Hope this helps.
DVC/OKW '97 OKW 5/1997; OKW 11/1998; OKW 10/1999; DL 5/2000; OKW and VB 6/2001; OKW 5/2002; HIFS/Vistana Resort/OKW: 5/2003; OKW 11/2004, DVC Member Cruise 10/07; Next trip: SS 5/2009[img]http://icons.*************/91/ICONATOR_eaf701068d3af2463b2966070f37e4f1.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/uxv689n9gq0vj2mx.png[/img]
AZKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #140
minnieandmickey
Queen of the run on sentence!

Has anyone thought of making a 2 sided one? I am thinking about trying this, one side that we will use most of the cruise, the other for pirate night.
My life at Disney: DL - started in 1978 too many times to count. First time AP holder in 2012, spent a total of 14 days! WDW- 10th anniversary- May 1999(Dixie Landings), 2005(off site),2006(POP/POFQ),2007(WLV),2008(AKV),2011(OKW) DCL- 3 day Bahamas Wonder 2002, 4 Day Bahamas Wonder 2006, 7 day Western Caribbean Magic 2007, 20 days on the Magic 2008, B2B Panama Canal and 5 day double dip, Sarah's gradapalooza 4 day Bahamas on the Dream and 7 Day Eastern Caribbean on the Magic 2011, DLP, October 2013
Up next Best Aunt and Uncle WDW/DCL, taking DNiece on her first trip!, WBPC Cruise, May 2015, KK Reunion Cruise, Eastern Caribbean, October 2015
minnieandmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:15 AM   #141
LuvtheEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMickey View Post

Thanks
I used the base material for the back of mine. I used bias to finish the edge. I made my own bias, but you can buy it pre-packaged too.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #142
LuvtheEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnieandmickey View Post
Has anyone thought of making a 2 sided one? I am thinking about trying this, one side that we will use most of the cruise, the other for pirate night.
I love this idea!!! I just might have to do this!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #143
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

Just a reminder that one of the guidelines is

1. FOR SALE For sale ads are strictly prohibited on any of the DISboards. Anyone posting such ads will have their post deleted. This same policy applies to links to your ebay/auction listings . "For sale" posts includes requests for donations. If you are participating in or wish to promote a charitable event, please email the webmaster at webmaster@wdwinfo.com for permission first. (You will be asked to provide proof that the organization is legitimate.) Until your request is approved, we ask that you do not post about it on the boards.

It is a fine line when others are posting what they bought and where when the orignial item was shown on this site. This is a great thread full of wonderful ideas, however if any more "sale" posts appear it runs the risk of being closed.

Last edited by MarkRG; 09-04-2007 at 07:41 PM.
WDWLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #144
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Here's the one we used in July. The "P" "D" "Q" represents the last names of the 3 families that cruised together.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #145
jsheridan
Mouseketeer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Here is one I just bought from Ebay for $5.99 + tax! Hope I linked it right. I don't really know how to do this stuff!
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #146
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Here is one I just bought from Ebay for $5.99 + tax! Hope I linked it right. I don't really know how to do this stuff!
It's cute but I think it's going to be too wide. It's twice as wide as the recommended size and may hang out into the hallway.
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #147
eapawsat
Earning My Ears

Still somewhat confused???

I understand what the fish extenders are and that they are for mail, but do you have to be part of a certain "group" to participate? how does that aspect work? TIA
eapawsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:32 AM   #148
mickeyluv
DIS Veteran

When you use the zip tie to secure your fish extender, to what on the fish to you attach the zip tie to? Looking at the fish itself, I can't see where you would put a zip tie.

Also, what are some of the things that people give in fish extenders. I think this is a neat idea but I can't think of anything to give that people would like.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #149
Sandaneli
DIS Veteran

I wrapped the zip tie around the back of the fish, where it is mounted to the wall, and through the hanger on the fish extender. Then either cut it off or wrap the extra around the back of the fish. It worked well and you couldn't really see the tie.

As far as gifts, we were on the 11 night med cruise and had 27 rooms participating in the fish extender gift swap. Some ideas were custom pens with our cruise logo and cruise date. (see July 28, 2007 Rome...ancing the mouse, on the meet board), a deck of disney playing cards, magnets and pins with our logo but you could also use any Disney character, postcards from hometowns or ports of call, a small package of pasta picked up at one of the ports, A small bag of "pirate" things including stickers and pencils etc.., glow sticks, candy, key rings, pads of paper, sticky notes, mardi gras type necklaces, a british flag, dice, and lanyards.

It was great fun to check the fish extender as we returned to our room. You never knew what would be in the pockets waiting for you.

Disney Magic 5N Canada August 2012
RC Allure Inaugural Cruise 7N WC Dec. 2010
RC Explorer 9N EC April 2009
RC Jewel 7N Canada Oct 2008
Disney Magic 7N EC Feb. 2008
Disney Magic 11N Med. July/Aug 2007
Disney Wonder 4N EC Feb 2006
Disney Magic 7N EC Aug. 2004
WDW too many times to count!
Sandaneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #150
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapawsat View Post
I understand what the fish extenders are and that they are for mail, but do you have to be part of a certain "group" to participate? how does that aspect work? TIA
The need for fish extenders happened because groups of DISers on particular sailings included a lot of people/cabins (hence the need for more 'room' for treats). These folks all 'met' on their Cruise Meets thread here on the DISboards and a group of people interested in the treat exchange were formed. Now people who are traveling with their own family/friends group that have multiple cabins do extenders for their group of cabins too.

So yes, you would need to be part of a group of people who agreed to do an exchange.
Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: