Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #361
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang View Post
Hi Everyone,
we stayed at POP Aug 13, to let you know, when we recieved our map there was nothing on there about smoking pits.
but everyone was smoking in smoking pits.
A lot of them is in the sun...ugh ....I think they should have more of them....
Thought you would like to know...
I don't mean to be a dunce, but what is a smoke pit?

I know the POP map has marked DSAs, but are you saying there are also unofficial areas called "smoke pits"? If so, what are they are where are they? (Besides in the sun......)
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #362
ang
"My life, my love, my children"
 
ang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,163

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
I don't mean to be a dunce, but what is a smoke pit?

I know the POP map has marked DSAs, but are you saying there are also unofficial areas called "smoke pits"? If so, what are they are where are they? (Besides in the sun......)
NO, I just call them smoking pits.. The right term is DSA. No there is no unofficial areas....
I recieved 2 different maps..because we switch rooms.. on either of them did it read DSA. They were normal maps that did not list any smoking areas. You just saw them posted.

Most of them are in the sun. Only 2 I remember being in the shade is backside of the main hall; before the walk down the stairs to the main pool. The second, by the bus stop. The ones around the lake are in the sun. The computer pool is the sun. I hit about 6 different ones.
__________________
off site 1994 Port Orleans Resort 1995Caribbean Resort 1996 All Start Movie Resort 1999: All Star Movies Resort 2000 All Star Music Resort 2003 Pop Century 2004 Pop Century aug/2007 Pop Century June/2009 Royal Pacific Hotel 2011/Pop Century 2014

ang is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #363
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,730

Sheesh! That's what I keep tallking about when I mention "miserable DSA locations." One might be miserable for nonsmokers, such as just outside the entry to the main building.....because what nonsmoker wants to walk through a wall of smoke to get to the food court..... But another miserable DSA location could be miserable for the smokers. No shade in high temps is miserable.

I have asthma, can't be around smoke and therefore want the smokers to be enticed to go to the DSAs. I think they need to be mentioned at check-in, well marked, and comfortable. If not, the same old/same old will happen. Most rule-abiding smokers will clinch their teeth and follow the rules, but a few diehards will just blow it off and smoke in their nonsmoking rooms or just outside their (my) door. I think POP needs to order some patio umbrellas......

Thanks for the "smoke pit" explanation. It almost sounded like something that would go nicely with marshmallows.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #364
DAniece
Crazy about the Mouse's House
 
DAniece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southeast U.S.
Posts: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
Sheesh! That's what I keep tallking about when I mention "miserable DSA locations." One might be miserable for nonsmokers, such as just outside the entry to the main building.....because what nonsmoker wants to walk through a wall of smoke to get to the food court..... But another miserable DSA location could be miserable for the smokers. No shade in high temps is miserable.

I have asthma, can't be around smoke and therefore want the smokers to be enticed to go to the DSAs. I think they need to be mentioned at check-in, well marked, and comfortable. If not, the same old/same old will happen. Most rule-abiding smokers will clinch their teeth and follow the rules, but a few diehards will just blow it off and smoke in their nonsmoking rooms or just outside their (my) door. I think POP needs to order some patio umbrellas......

Thanks for the "smoke pit" explanation. It almost sounded like something that would go nicely with marshmallows.
Excellent points...
If the DSA's are uncomfortable and / or inconvenient, they won't be used.
I'm still wondering why so many of the DSA's at Epcot had their benches removed... doesn't entice people to get out of the walking-traffic-flow and stay in one area if there isn't anywhere to sit down.

EG
__________________
10/08 CBR, 4-5/08 Hilton Grand Vacation Club & POFQ, 1-2/08 Hilton Grand Vacation Club x2 & POFQ, 1/08 CBR, 11-12/07 POFQ & POP, 10-11/07 POFQ, 9-10/07 POFQ, 4/07 POR & POFQ, 3/07 POFQ, 11/06 POFQ, 4/06 CSR, 2/06 POFQ, 11/05 POFQ, 4/05 BWI, 2/05 POFQ, 11/04 POFQ, 5/04 AKL, 2/04 POR, 11/03 CBR, 4/03 Dolphin, 2/03 CBR, 11/02 AKL, 4/00 CSR, 7/98 CSR, 2/95 ASSports, 4/90 FIRST TRIP TO WDW Off-Site @ Holiday Inn





DAniece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #365
ransom
DIS Veteran
 
ransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Far Northern Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 4,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAniece View Post
Excellent points...
If the DSA's are uncomfortable and / or inconvenient, they won't be used.
I'm still wondering why so many of the DSA's at Epcot had their benches removed... doesn't entice people to get out of the walking-traffic-flow and stay in one area if there isn't anywhere to sit down.

EG
I hadn't heard about that. Do you recall which of the DSA's had their benches removed?
__________________
Life is a process of turning time into memories.
ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #366
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,845

Quote:
I have asthma, can't be around smoke and therefore want the smokers to be enticed to go to the DSAs. I think they need to be mentioned at check-in, well marked, and comfortable.
I rhink Disney's just trying to 'entice' us not to smoke, without actually banning it
__________________
OFFICIAL 2014 Reading Challenge Participant 32/52
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #367
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
I rhink Disney's just trying to 'entice' us not to smoke, without actually banning it
You may be right.

But.....That's not a very effective strategy. Yes, I'd love it if 100% of the people of the world would stop smoking. I think it would be healthier for them and I know it would be healthier for me. But I am a realist. It's just not that easy for a smoker to abstain from smoking for the duration of their vacation, even if it is made terribly inconvenient. I may pass up a $12 alcoholic beverage because I think it's an "inconvenience" to my wallet, but then again, I can take or leave that drink......water or iced tea is fine. Inconveniencing the dickens out of a smoker will only stop the tiniest percentage from smoking.

I'm just trying to look at this realistically. If quitting smoking was easy, there would be far fewer smokers. So people are still going to smoke. There are plenty of people who cannot be around smoke. It's not that hard to come up with ways to keep these two groups separate for the short time it takes to smoke a cigarette and keep everyone happy. Comfortable DSAs play a big role in that.

If inconvenience was enough to make people stop smoking, then price hikes and public smoking bans would have decimated their numbers long ago. That hasn't happened, so I don't think inconvenience plays much of a role in whether a person smokes or not. JMHO.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #368
DAniece
Crazy about the Mouse's House
 
DAniece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southeast U.S.
Posts: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom View Post
I hadn't heard about that. Do you recall which of the DSA's had their benches removed?
Well, there used to be 2 or 3 benches at the DSA between Japan & Morocco -- now there's one.

I seem to remember that the DSA in the UK was next to benches, now the smoking ash can is away from the benches.

Those are the two that stick out in my mind because we walk by them so often.

EG
__________________
10/08 CBR, 4-5/08 Hilton Grand Vacation Club & POFQ, 1-2/08 Hilton Grand Vacation Club x2 & POFQ, 1/08 CBR, 11-12/07 POFQ & POP, 10-11/07 POFQ, 9-10/07 POFQ, 4/07 POR & POFQ, 3/07 POFQ, 11/06 POFQ, 4/06 CSR, 2/06 POFQ, 11/05 POFQ, 4/05 BWI, 2/05 POFQ, 11/04 POFQ, 5/04 AKL, 2/04 POR, 11/03 CBR, 4/03 Dolphin, 2/03 CBR, 11/02 AKL, 4/00 CSR, 7/98 CSR, 2/95 ASSports, 4/90 FIRST TRIP TO WDW Off-Site @ Holiday Inn





DAniece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #369
ransom
DIS Veteran
 
ransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Far Northern Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 4,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAniece View Post
Well, there used to be 2 or 3 benches at the DSA between Japan & Morocco -- now there's one.

I seem to remember that the DSA in the UK was next to benches, now the smoking ash can is away from the benches.

Those are the two that stick out in my mind because we walk by them so often.

EG
You're right, the UK one was next to the benches -- or at least it was last year.

Thank you for the update!
__________________
Life is a process of turning time into memories.
ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #370
Cindy's Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Cindy's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang View Post
NO, I just call them smoking pits.. The right term is DSA.
I was referring to the DSA's at the WL as "heroin dens", especially the one by the arcade. You're so secluded from everything else.
__________________
(me and DH) (12 yo) (11 yo)


2013 - GF CL (June)
2012 - Off Site
2012 - On and Off Site
2011 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Easter Week: ASMo
2009 - WL
2008 - Yacht Club
2007 - WL (summer)
2007 - CBR (spring)
2006 - POP
2005 - POR
2004 - Nick Hotel

Cindy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #371
Arielsfanmom
Mouseketeer
 
Arielsfanmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jacksonville,AL
Posts: 169

Any one back recently from OKW? I was wondering about DSA's. On the maps they show only by the pools I have read post than you could also smoke out side the building near the parking lots is this correct? I just want to check before I get a big fine. I may just sit in the car instead of walking a while if I am far from a DSA.
__________________
dh me dd6 ds9




Bambi

Take this quiz!
Arielsfanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #372
cc1075
cc
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Way north of Disney - Good Hart, Michigan
Posts: 374

OKW Smoking

I haven't been to OKW yet, but I have spoken with CMs - - - they allow smoking outside of every building. Also the pools and several smoking areas down by Olivia's. They have not had any complaints or problems that I know of at OKW. I think of all the resorts they will probably have the best and most smoking areas.
cc1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #373
DrmWvr1299
the world IS a carousel of color
 
DrmWvr1299's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Dayton,Ohio
Posts: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy's Mom View Post
I was referring to the DSA's at the WL as "heroin dens", especially the one by the arcade. You're so secluded from everything else.
Tell me more about the DSA's at WL. I know where the arcade is located but for the life of me can't figure out where there would be a DSA.
__________________






Disbrother, Charlie 7-15-09
DrmWvr1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #374
Cindy's Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Cindy's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrmWvr1299 View Post
Tell me more about the DSA's at WL. I know where the arcade is located but for the life of me can't figure out where there would be a DSA.

When walking past the arcade, the DSA is immediatly after it. The outer wall of the arcade is (or the end of the building) it where it is, there is a garbage can there, make a right. Its after the "end of the building" but WAY before you get to the busses.

I haven't had coffee yet, so I'm thinking that this description isn't making much sense.
__________________
(me and DH) (12 yo) (11 yo)


2013 - GF CL (June)
2012 - Off Site
2012 - On and Off Site
2011 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Easter Week: ASMo
2009 - WL
2008 - Yacht Club
2007 - WL (summer)
2007 - CBR (spring)
2006 - POP
2005 - POR
2004 - Nick Hotel

Cindy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #375
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran
 
DVCconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: BWV & VB & OKW
Posts: 5,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1075 View Post
I haven't been to OKW yet, but I have spoken with CMs - - - they allow smoking outside of every building. Also the pools and several smoking areas down by Olivia's. They have not had any complaints or problems that I know of at OKW. I think of all the resorts they will probably have the best and most smoking areas.
Yes...their called balconies!
__________________
Dare to do what dreamers do

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: