Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #271
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2my3kids View Post
I place the tags on the handles of all checked in luggage at the airline?
Do it at home. No need to wait 'til you're at the airport.

But maybe that's not what you're asking.

Put one DME tag on each suitcase that you will have the airline load into the plane for you (checked luggage). Your carryons need no DME tags, because DME won't be handling them.
Quote:
We are flying Airtran they are partners with Disney correct?
The only way airline matters at all is for the way home. On the way TO Disney, everyone on every airline gets exactly the same treatment, perks, etc.

And by the way, nobody at your home airport, including AirTran employees, know anything about DME, and they don't have to. DME exists only in Orlando.
Quote:
Do I need to take the yellow tags off our bags on our flight home?
Need to? No. But you might as well, because those tags are useless the second your bags are delivered to the inside of your resort room on your arrival day.
Quote:
Will Disney know if our flight is delayed?
The flight when you arrive in Orlando? Yes, they'll know. They are hooked into the airport's/airlines' computer systems, so even if your flight is delayed and arrives at 3:00 a.m. there will be Disney people to check you in and get you onto your DME bus.

The flight when you leave Orlando? No, Disney won't know. That's not really their responsibility. And anyway, they need to schedule the bus pick-ups in advance, so they aren't able to push your bus pick-up back one hourif they hear that your flight is delayed one hour, know what I mean?

Quote:
How early do we need to leave POP to get to the airport for our trip home?
3 hours, +/- 15 minutes. On the morning of the day PRIOR TO your departure day, you'll get DME departure info at your room, and this will include your scheduled DME bus pick-up time.

ENJOY!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:51 AM   #272
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

Thank you...You helped so much..

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #273
jeannief
Mouseketeer

I've read about 5 pages and didn't see this asked. My flight down has changed but my ME tags arrived. Should I call Disney and tell them the flight change (earlier flight) or will having the tags suffice?
thanks!
jeannief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #274
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannief View Post
I've read about 5 pages and didn't see this asked. My flight down has changed but my ME tags arrived. Should I call Disney and tell them the flight change (earlier flight) or will having the tags suffice?
thanks!
No, you don't have to call Disney unless there has been a huge change to your flights...I would say anything over 8 hrs. Even that shouldn't be an issue as long as you are arriving on the same day.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #275
jeannief
Mouseketeer

Thanks! It's only a few hours so we're good.
jeannief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #276
heidica
Hooked on Disney! Is there a cure? Never mind I don't want one!!

Quote:
I got my tags today.. Okay some of my questions may sound silly but we have never flown before. Well my husband has for bowling tournaments but he is not help. I place the tags on the handles of all checked in luggage at the airline? We are flying Airtran they are partners with Disney correct? Do I need to take the yellow tags off our bags on our flight home? Will Disney know if our flight is delayed? How early do we need to leave POP to get to the airport for our trip home?
Thanks everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
And by the way, nobody at your home airport, including AirTran employees, know anything about DME, and they don't have to. DME exists only in Orlando.
Need to? No. But you might as well, because those tags are useless the second your bags are delivered to the inside of your resort room on your arrival day.
You DO need to remove the yellow tags for your flight home or you run the risk of your luggage being sent back to Disney at the Orlando airport. When the Orlando airport sees those yellow tags, they send the luggage to the Disney people working at the airport. So at the beginning of your trip, once you are in your hotel room and have all your luggage, remove the yellow tags. I would also remove the white tags from the airline. You will get your new tags once you fly home and it will have have correct destination airport on them.
Disney 7 day Cruise Nov 2002 (1st cruise ever )

heidica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #277
mjh8955
DIS Veteran

Question ME and resort change

I did a search to try and find the answer but didn't have any luck...

I have an opportunity to upgrade from a value to a moderate first week of October. Our ME luggage tags arrived today. Is it too late to upgrade now since we already have our tags for the value resort (August 23)??
Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #278
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh8955 View Post
I did a search to try and find the answer but didn't have any luck...

I have an opportunity to upgrade from a value to a moderate first week of October. Our ME luggage tags arrived today. Is it too late to upgrade now since we already have our tags for the value resort (August 23)??

But you have something like 9 weeks! Plenty of time for the DME subcontractor to send out new DME tags. Plenty of time. After you make your resort change, call DME directly at 866-599-0951 and inform them of the change.

NO WORRIES!
Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #279
Marie14625
Mouseketeer

OH, I am glad we have the option of claiming our own luggage if we choose. I was a bit nervous that our luggage would not make it to the resort with us.
So, if we have to option of just claiming it ourselves, I will feel better.
Marie14625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #280
Marie14625
Mouseketeer

OK, I am playing catch up here, and trying to find out so much info at once that my head is spinning.
Anyway..I have read alot of the posts here, but did not find answers to my specific questions...so forgive me if they have been answered.
I have noticed that we have the option to claim our own bags, rather than putting the tags on.
But here are my questions...
We are a group of 6 people, staying in three separate rooms at our resort. Are the tages coded somehow to give the handlers a clue as to where they go?
How long does it take for our bags to arrive at our resort? Are they on the bus with us? Our arrival in Orlando is 11AM. If we catch a bus right away, and go right to our resorts, how long do we wait for our bags to arrive? We all would like to be able to gett settled in and our bags unpacked before we start park hopping...but we don't want to be just sitting around waiting for them to arrive, either.
Any help will be appreciated.
Marie14625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #281
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie14625 View Post
We are a group of 6 people, staying in three separate rooms at our resort. Are the tages coded somehow to give the handlers a clue as to where they go?
Since you have 3 rooms, I assume you have 3 reservation numbers. Each room has a separate reservation.

A DME tag has all kinds of information pre-printed onto it, such as your name, the "master" name on the reservation (if that is you, then your name is on there twice), your reservation number, another long number, the name of your resort, a 2-letter code inside a Mickey-head, and a few barcodes. It is the barcode that is the real work-horse here.

Each tag's barcode is scanned. The barcode is, essentially, your reservation number. When the barcode is scanned, it gives DME (and eventually your resort) access to your reservation information ... that's how they know which bags to put into which rooms.
Quote:
How long does it take for our bags to arrive at our resort?
Disney says to expect them to arrive in your room about 3 hours after you yourself arrive at your resort.

Quote:
Are they on the bus with us?
No.

DME luggage is separated from the rest of the luggage pretty much right after it's unloaded from the aircraft. DME-tagged bags are brought to a Disney luggage sorting facility on the grounds of the airport. From there, they are loaded onto DME luggage delivery trucks. In other words, luggage handled by DME (upon arrival in Orlando) never goes near a DME bus.

The bags are scanned 5 separate times between aircraft and inside of your resort room, and the delivery trucks are tracked by GPS ... in other words, Disney knows where your bags are at all times. It's a pretty cool-sounding hi-tich system.
Quote:
Our arrival in Orlando is 11AM. If we catch a bus right away, and go right to our resorts, how long do we wait for our bags to arrive? We all would like to be able to gett settled in and our bags unpacked before we start park hopping...but we don't want to be just sitting around waiting for them to arrive, either.
Well, if you land at 11 a.m., you can reasonably expect to be at our reosrt by 12 or 12:30 p.m. That means you can reasonably expect your checked luggage to be brought to your room by 3 or 3:30 p.m.

You specifically do not have to wait for your bags. They will be brought to the inside of your room whether you are in there or not.

Also, keep in mind that because you are arriving several hours before check-in time, there is a chance your rooms won't even be ready yet. In that case, if you waited to get your own luggage, you'd just have Bell Services store it for you, anyway, know what I mean? If your room isn't ready and you have all your luggage, would you wait around the resort for a few hours for the purpose of unpacking your bags? Probably not.

I know that the luggage handling provided by DME is new and strange to you, but it's just same stuff different day for Disney. They've been doing it for over 2 years now, serving probably about 4.2 MILLION guests by now (about 480 days times an average of 5,000 guests per day). There are no widespread problems. I mean, any system can't be absolutely perfect, but like I said, there are no widespread problems.

If you do choose to get your own bags, DON'T put the yellow DME tags on your bags. If you put those tags on your bags, then those bags won't be at baggage claim for you to get them. Kepp in mind that if you go to baggage claim and wait for your bags, you quite probably will delay yourself getting to your resort, as you quite probably missed the next available bus for your resort (don't worry, the buses run continually, so it's not like there won't be another one in 20 or 30 minutes or whatever).

You'll do what you feel most comfortable doing. Hopefully, with all the info you've received on this thread (and others), you can make an informed decision that you are the most comfortable with.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #282
Tallprincess
Earning My Ears

Flying to Disney to get married :)

Hi I have a question, we are flying into Orlando November next year. It will be my first time staying at a disney hotel and therefore my first time taking the Disney Magical Express. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Im a bit of a rookie when it comes to yr bus service.

We are actually going over to Disney to get married. My fiance proposed to me in front of Cinderellas Castle last year.

I am disabled due to multiple sclerosis, so I will be travelling with my wheelchair. What do I have to do with that? Sorry I know nothing about this its my first time.
Tallprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #283
Tallprincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallprincess View Post
Hi I have a question, we are flying into Orlando November next year. It will be my first time staying at a disney hotel and therefore my first time taking the Disney Magical Express. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Im a bit of a rookie when it comes to yr bus service.

We are actually going over to Disney to get married. My fiance proposed to me in front of Cinderellas Castle last year.

I am disabled due to multiple sclerosis, so I will be travelling with my wheelchair. What do I have to do with that? Sorry I know nothing about this its my first time.
I am from the UK and im flying in with Virgin Atlantic.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 AM   #284
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Welcome to the DIS boards TallPrincess!! I can't give you an answer to your particular question, but if you ask over on the Disabilities board they may, probably will in fact, have some good info for you. Hope your wedding is all that you hope it will be, and that you are here on the DIS for a long time to come!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #285
Tallprincess
Earning My Ears

Smile

Hi Di

Thank you so much for your kind words, it was very nice of you say those things .

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: