Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #256
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer View Post
I was not trying to work the system, only get one of the stated benefits of staying on site and save time.

We were going to rent a car and go straight to typhoon lagoon. Having even 1 person ride DME would slow us down since you do not know how many stops the bus will make to get to your hotel or when the bus will leave. Plus, you still have to get from the hotel to TL. We have express service with the rental car so that should be fast.

I see the need to check in so they get your bags. I also thought by telling the driver you will not be riding would help them. I do not want them to be looking for us. He would merely check our names on his checklist and consider us transported to the hotel. It would make more room on the bus for others and save them a minute amount of fuel. Disney is not hurt, only helped.

I'm trying to think of why you need to be on the bus. It isn't a security thing, since the bags go on a different bus. I understand they do not want to be a baggage service. However, it is a benefit of staying on site (and competitive advantage). All conditions are met, except physically being on the bus. The only reasons I can think of is to limit cars on the property.

I understand rules are rules. I am only trying to underestand their reasoning.
I may have used the wrong wording. If so I apologize if I came across as harsh. That wasn't my intent at all.
As far as why the rules are the way they are...Disney has stated that they are not a luggage transfer service. That having your bags delivered to your room is a side perk of riding the bus. So, if that's what they say, that's what they say. Most of us feel that Disney started DME in order to keep more people on-site, without rental cars. If you have a rental car, you can quite easily head to Universal and spend your vacation dollars there. Disney sure doesn't want you doing that. So, if they allow you to book DME, but use it only to get your luggage to your resort, while you go off and rent a car, it has defeated the purpose of the system. You have used their system to transport your luggage, but rented a car at the same time. THat is what they are trying to avoid.

I think that we are going to see changes made to the DME system. Perhaps if you want to just get your bags delivered, they may add a charge to your room bill for the service. If you ride the bus then fine, you get free delivery. It's all computer generated...it shouldn't be all that difficult to track who is, and isn't, on the buses. It's Disney's park, it's their transportation system, they get to make any rules they want to. If we don't understand the 'why' of the rule, they don't much care. As I said before, Disney eventually finds that there are loopholes in a particular system and they close them.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #257
flyer
Earning My Ears

Very good points about being a captive audience w/o a rental.

One other interesting pont. I just received the DME booklet and luggage tags in the mail. Nowhere in it does it say you must do both DME and luggage service.

After people referred to it here, I finally found it buried in the FAQ on the website. I may have broken the rules without even knowing it.
flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #258
arizonacolbys
Owner of 2 Crazy Labs!

Has anyone had experience with switching resorts close to your trip when using DME?

We upgraded from POP Century to Wilderness Lodge under the 45 day mark - we just received our DME Tags, but they list POP on them instead of WL. When I called the DME line to inquire about this, she told me that they really just go by the bar code & taht is linked to our ressie at WL, not POP, so our luggage should arrive at the correct resort & they don't need to send out new tags. She asked me to cross out POP & write in WL, which I've done.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Does this sound correct, or should I call back & request new tags? TIA!
All Star Movies: Jan 2000 & Sept 2001 ~Poly & WL: Dec 2002, Contemp: March 2003 ~ POP - Sept 2004 (w/Jeanne!!), Jan 2005, May 2005 & Sept 2006! ~ BWV - Oct 2006, POP & CBR: Jan 2007 ~ WL: Aug/Sept 2007 ~ Poly & SSR: August 2009 - Maddie's 1st trip! ~ POR: Jan 2010 - girls only while hubby served in Iraq ~ SSR: Dec 2010 - Evelyn's 1st trip! ~ POP - May 2011 ~ AKLV - Sept 2012 ~ OKW: Dec 2013 ~ Upcoming trip - Dec 2014!!
arizonacolbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #259
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

You got perfect advice.

The barcode gives them access to your reservation number, and in the database your reservation number is for your current reservation at your current resort.

You cross out the old resort name (and the 2=letter code inside the Mickey head) so that a hard-working, do-gooder CM doesn't see your Pop-tagged bags in the AKL area and moves them from the AKL area to the POp area, thinking he's done his good deed for the day.

You'll be just fine. Take this advice from one of the few people on this board who knows the correct pronunciation of your town ... I lived in Cleveland Heights for a few years.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #260
arizonacolbys
Owner of 2 Crazy Labs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
You got perfect advice.

The barcode gives them access to your reservation number, and in the database your reservation number is for your current reservation at your current resort.

You cross out the old resort name (and the 2=letter code inside the Mickey head) so that a hard-working, do-gooder CM doesn't see your Pop-tagged bags in the AKL area and moves them from the AKL area to the POp area, thinking he's done his good deed for the day.

You'll be just fine. Take this advice from one of the few people on this board who knows the correct pronunciation of your town ... I lived in Cleveland Heights for a few years.
Thanks Eric! That's what I was hoping to hear.
All Star Movies: Jan 2000 & Sept 2001 ~Poly & WL: Dec 2002, Contemp: March 2003 ~ POP - Sept 2004 (w/Jeanne!!), Jan 2005, May 2005 & Sept 2006! ~ BWV - Oct 2006, POP & CBR: Jan 2007 ~ WL: Aug/Sept 2007 ~ Poly & SSR: August 2009 - Maddie's 1st trip! ~ POR: Jan 2010 - girls only while hubby served in Iraq ~ SSR: Dec 2010 - Evelyn's 1st trip! ~ POP - May 2011 ~ AKLV - Sept 2012 ~ OKW: Dec 2013 ~ Upcoming trip - Dec 2014!!
arizonacolbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:14 AM   #261
gr8tdame
Enchanted

We received our MExpress luggage tags and in the Mickey head is printed AKL. We are staying at CSR. Why isn't CSR printed on the Mickey head?
TIA
Nov1-15 2014 CBR, Jan 2-14 2013 POFQ, Jan 7 - Jan 17 2012 POR, Sept 28- Oct 5 2011 POR, Sept 18 -Oct 2.2010POR,Sept 18-Oct 3 2009 GF and POR,:Sept 20 -Oct 4,2008 POR ,2007 CSR,2004 GF, 2002 Hard rock,2000 POLY,1999 DTD,1998 GF, 1997 DTD, 1995 ASMU and off site,1990 GF,1989 POLY,1987 CR,1985 GF,1977 offsite,1976 offsite
gr8tdame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 AM   #262
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tdame View Post
We received our MExpress luggage tags and in the Mickey head is printed AKL. We are staying at CSR. Why isn't CSR printed on the Mickey head?
TIA
Are you sure it doesn't just say "AK"? The Mickey is the area and CSR is in the AK area.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #263
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tdame View Post
TIA
Tyler knows what he's talking about! For luggage delivery purposes, each tag will have "MK," "EC," "AK" or "DD" on it, representing each of the 4 luggage delivery zones. CSR is in the AK luggage delivery zone.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #264
gr8tdame
Enchanted

Thanks.... you are right they do say AK.
Nov1-15 2014 CBR, Jan 2-14 2013 POFQ, Jan 7 - Jan 17 2012 POR, Sept 28- Oct 5 2011 POR, Sept 18 -Oct 2.2010POR,Sept 18-Oct 3 2009 GF and POR,:Sept 20 -Oct 4,2008 POR ,2007 CSR,2004 GF, 2002 Hard rock,2000 POLY,1999 DTD,1998 GF, 1997 DTD, 1995 ASMU and off site,1990 GF,1989 POLY,1987 CR,1985 GF,1977 offsite,1976 offsite
gr8tdame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:58 AM   #265
MrsAbel
Earning My Ears

his thread is so helpful! Thank you to all for your answers and knowledge!

My husband and I have our yellow DME tags for our August 16-21 trip to WDW. I understand the whole process but had a quick question.

How far in advance of your time to fly home does the bus come to pick you up?

Our flight leaves at 8:45 PM and I wanted to know if we had enough time for dinner before we have to board the bus.

Thanks!!!
MrsAbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #266
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAbel View Post
his thread is so helpful! Thank you to all for your answers and knowledge!

My husband and I have our yellow DME tags for our August 16-21 trip to WDW. I understand the whole process but had a quick question.

How far in advance of your time to fly home does the bus come to pick you up?

Our flight leaves at 8:45 PM and I wanted to know if we had enough time for dinner before we have to board the bus.

Thanks!!!
On the morning of the day before your departure day, you will have a DME envelope hanging from your doorknob. In there will be your exact DME bus pick-up time. Generally speaking, you can expect it to be somewhere between 5:30 - 6:00 p.m.

You will surely be storing at least carry-ons, if not your checked luggage, with your resort, and you should allow at least 15 minutes to get that and be ready when the bus pulls up.

So dinner out somewhere would be pretty difficult. How about a very nice late-ish lunch???
Old 08-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #267
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I don't think you'll be able to have your checked bags sent right over to the DCL bus. You will have to have them taken to the resort, AKL, and then put on the bus in the morning. If you don't mind not getting your bags until 11:00 or so, I would just put the DME luggage tags on them. You can always have Bell Services hold them until the morning so that you don't have to get them back down to the lobby. Then, once you have them at AKL, you can remove the yellow DME tags and put the DCL tags on.
Thanks for the info will get bell service to hold on to them and just take a holdall for the night

our flight time has been changed on our return trip and we are now flying out at 7am what is the story with early busses and bags
this is a great thread
Thank you so much for all the great info

what airline do the check in at the resorts
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #268
BobWerner
A Disneyworld vet - I love that place!

Well, this answered my questions. I was starting to worry that DME forgot me. I'm almost 6 weeks away and no tags. Now I know I can get replacement tags. You folks are the greatest!
BobWerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #269
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWerner View Post
Well, this answered my questions. I was starting to worry that DME forgot me. I'm almost 6 weeks away and no tags. Now I know I can get replacement tags. You folks are the greatest!
They've generally been sent out about 4-6 weeks before departure, so you're no where near being "forgotten" yet. You'd be in rare company if you got them this early!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #270
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

I got my tags today.. Okay some of my questions may sound silly but we have never flown before. Well my husband has for bowling tournaments but he is not help. I place the tags on the handles of all checked in luggage at the airline? We are flying Airtran they are partners with Disney correct? Do I need to take the yellow tags off our bags on our flight home? Will Disney know if our flight is delayed? How early do we need to leave POP to get to the airport for our trip home?
Thanks everyone

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: