Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
ms_mckenna
DIS Veteran

The surprise trip where dreams came true! Update Day 8! LOTS of pictures)

A word of warning in the beginning: This is my first attempt at a TR so bare with me. All my best friends say that I am long winded and ramble so I am sure that will rear it's ugly head soon. Also I should say there are no "official" Disney dreams that came true on our trip, but I think our dreams that came true are better. :

The Players:

Myself : Callie a 33 year old Mom of 2. Substitute teacher/ stay at home mom. Certified Disneyaholic. This would be my 3rd Disney trip.

Husband : James 37 year old Dad by choice to my 2 children from a previous marriage He has always been their Daddy and has been with them since they were 1 and 3. He works way to many hours as an oilfield supervisor to make sure they have everything they want. All around a great guy, but did not share my Disney obsession

DD: Shelby who is 13 will turn 14 on the trip. She is the typical teenager attitude and all. She loves Disney but for the most part when we are not there acts like it is just OK. Spends way to much time on the phone. The week before the trip got back from New Mexico from a mission trip with the church.

DS: Alex who is 11 will turn 12 a week before the trip. He was born 3 months early and is my miracle baby. He has moderate Cerebral Palsy and some other medical issues. He uses a Kwalker most of the time unless there is a lot of walking then he uses a wheelchair. He is an extremely determined kid and very independent. He is the ham of the family and is constantly laughing.

The dates: July 30th to August 6th

How the plan was hatched:
Last year when we went to NYC from Dallas we had to come back early. I could not get a flight home on the same carrier so we ended up with credits with Air Tran. In January DH and I realized that we still had not used them and they expired on 7/22 so we needed to book something with them by then. We talked about doing a birthday trip for the kids and then it evolved into being a really cool surprise if we could keep it from them. We had just got back from Disney in November and 3 out of 4 of us already wanted to go back. Even though our next trip was not scheduled until December of 08. I talked DH into it by saying I would pay for it and would keep it small. So we were in agreement and I booked our short 4 day trip to Pop ... little did I know the changes that it would incur.

Since I am not writing this the way I should have I am going to bring you all up to speed and to the week before the trip and DS's birthday.

DH did not think he would be able to go on this trip because of changes at work so he agreed that I needed to stay somewhere that was at least close to one of the parks with DS. He also thought we needed to take it slow and agreed to help me and we could change it to a 7/8 trip. DD's dream hotel is AKL so I called and changed us over to AKL standard view (rack rate ) for 7 nights 8 days. I called right after to book our airfare because the trip had already grown so much I didn't need it to grow anymore.

The talk then began about AKL construction and since DS would have to take afternoon breaks I started to worry a lot about the noise. At this point I decided to try as hard as I could to get us changed to either Poly (my DD's other first choice) or BC without breaking the bank. So I called several times a week to see if there were any codes added to my account or if we were eligible to be moved. During this time my husband decided to go ahead and take off work and go with us but agreed he wanted to stay in a deluxe hotel. I called and got his airline ticket the same flights as us.

I know the people at Disney probably got sick of me calling but my persistence paid off. We got a "code" but the only thing I could get was BC or BW. I chose BC because of SAB. We ended up at 200.00 less than what we were paying at AKL so I was THRILLED!

Most of the trip I planned under the guise of the Dec 08 trip. Thankfully they just thought I was obsessed with Disney as always. DD always kind of thought in the back of her mind something was going on but she did not know for sure. She ended up getting into some serious trouble and I explained to her that there was a surprise birthday trip that she was one mistake away from not getting to go on.

When I was not planning itineraries I made shirts and picked up pins for hints each night about the park we were going to the next day pins to trade and other Disney things for our trip. Pictures of all our matching shirts: http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...merons/shirts/ We ended up with 14 shirt sets.

The kids stayed fairly busy the first part of the summer between camp and friends houses. DD went on a mission trip to New Mexico to work with a Navajo tribe two weeks before our trip. It really was a great experience for her and think it made her understand how truly blessed she is. She came back home on Dis's 12Th birthday. He had a small slumber party for his 2 best friends and they had pizza and cake. Funny it was a very small birthday but he really enjoyed it. Which showed me a lot.

My best friend called to see how the plans were going for leaving. I told her we were coming up a day early to spend the night in Seagoville and my brother in law was going to drive us to the airport. She asked if we could come up a day earlier because a little girl she is the foster mom for was going to have her first ever bday party (she was turning 5). We both saw this as an opportunity for DH to be around children that needed to be adopted. I have been trying to ease him into the idea of adoption for the child we have been wanting. He agreed to going up early so the plan was we would be leaving Saturday morning for the party, spending the night at her house, then Sunday night at Seagoville, and on to the airport Monday for the reveal and to Disney for 8 days.

Last edited by ms_mckenna; 10-03-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: