Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #31
Minnesota
Disney Commando
For a good read, see my trip reports
BOOM!!!

Here are the pics of my two necklaces. If they don't happen to post correctly (this is the first time ever posting pics here) you can check them out at my disney picture site at http://www.picturetrail.com/picturedisney under the title of Pick a Pearl

this first one got a little blurry, it is a sterling silver chain and cage with the 6.5mm white pearl inside the cage, setting and chain were about $25 in addition to the cost of the pearl...

Since I got twins and didn't want earrings here is the second setting I chose. This too is sterling silver. The top part is alternating a little heart and some type of gemstone, setting and chain cost about $45 on this one but I didn't have to pay for the second pearl!

the total for the whole shopping experience was close to $100 but I think it was worth it for two nice pearl necklaces.
Minnesota
Check out my Pictures! http://www.picturetrail.com/picturedisney Pre Trip Report Here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2457013 Trip Report Here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post36870674

Rode Out Hurricane Wilma at Disney's All Star Music October 24, 2005 and Tropical Storm Hannah's Rain at Port Orleans Riverside September 5, 2008

Fort Wilderness Trailer June '94 Contemporary Tower July '99 Disney Magic July '99 Caribbean Beach Bermuda July '00 Hilton in Downtown Disney Aug. '01 All Star Sports Aug. '02 Downtown Disney Courtyard Aug. '02 Tropicanna Inn Disneyland June'03 Pop Century Dec.'03 Poly Jan '04 Disney Wonder Jan '04 Howard Johnson-Universal Studios Jan' 04 All Star Music Oct '05 Coronado Springs Oct '06 All Star Music Aug '07 Port Orleans Riverside Sept '08 Pop Century May 2010
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:19 PM   #32
PaulaSue
I have a purple car too and love it
Even I need a nap now and then

Very cute settings.

I can't wait to do this for my girls.

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2 Birthdays, 1 Anniversary, Priceless...1/06

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2nd Trip, 1 Week with Family and Friends...10/08

F&W, Music to our ears...10/11

Tire Pros "Family" is going to Disney...1/15
PaulaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2007, 05:50 AM   #33
wendydarling826
I thought mine was the only crazy family
I will do anything to avoid housework, but when I have a podcast to listen to, I can whistle while I work

I believe there is a booth at the Beach Club, along the walkway beside the beach as well. DD and I decided to do this on our upcoming trip - it is such a nice tradition!
Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #34
Tinks1984
We're having a mini party!
I couldn't believe how many there was in the bag!

Those necklaces look stunning, your pictures have just convinced me to do this activity when I'm in Epcot next year, I'm looking forward to picking the most ugly oyster I can find
Tinks1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:08 AM   #35
landryfam
Mouseketeer

bump
Old 07-31-2007, 10:24 AM   #36
PeachesDoesHair
Mouseketeer

I don't know that the picture does them justice. My daughter and I picked out each other's pearls and then she picked out the butterfly settings.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #37
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

I keep hearing that the settings are much more reasonable in Japan. Is this correct?

Does anyone know how much the dolphin necklace setting is in Japan?

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #38
KJF
I remember thinking it was "cool" to carry a big comb in your back pocket for your feather-cut hairstyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachesDoesHair View Post

I don't know that the picture does them justice. My daughter and I picked out each other's pearls and then she picked out the butterfly settings.
I love those!!! I want to do that w/ DD5 in Nov & I think that's a great idea to get matching settings. Are they the same size settings, or do they have a size just for the kids? She already loves us to have matching t-shirts, so I think she would be thrilled to get matching necklaces. Thanks for the idea!!
KJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #39
Jenn Lynn
Eli and Avery's Mama
They both inherited my eyebrow
Keep those mosquitoes away from me
Has an in with the weatherman

I just got back and did the pick a pearl in Japan on my Birthday last Friday. I got a 7 1/4mm pearl. I had it set for a necklace with a ruby (my birthstone.) I did not buy a chain and the setting cost $30.00.
Jenn Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #40
Minnesota
Disney Commando
For a good read, see my trip reports
BOOM!!!

For those who have ring settings, do the pearls get pretty banged up? I only have "shorter" rings where the setting isn't too high off my finger. I am thinking of getting a ring this year but I don't want a "fragile" setting or one that will get caught or banged around.
Minnesota
Check out my Pictures! http://www.picturetrail.com/picturedisney Pre Trip Report Here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2457013 Trip Report Here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post36870674

Rode Out Hurricane Wilma at Disney's All Star Music October 24, 2005 and Tropical Storm Hannah's Rain at Port Orleans Riverside September 5, 2008

Fort Wilderness Trailer June '94 Contemporary Tower July '99 Disney Magic July '99 Caribbean Beach Bermuda July '00 Hilton in Downtown Disney Aug. '01 All Star Sports Aug. '02 Downtown Disney Courtyard Aug. '02 Tropicanna Inn Disneyland June'03 Pop Century Dec.'03 Poly Jan '04 Disney Wonder Jan '04 Howard Johnson-Universal Studios Jan' 04 All Star Music Oct '05 Coronado Springs Oct '06 All Star Music Aug '07 Port Orleans Riverside Sept '08 Pop Century May 2010
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #41
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaOstrich View Post
Do you know which one's are black? Are they able to tell? Thanks.

A black pearl sounds fascinating!

--Missy
I've never seen the Disney PickaPearl vendors, so I don't know what the oysters look like there. But I saw this question and thought I'd do a little research. Here's what I found.

Tahitian Black Pearls come in a range of colors...

and they come from a specific species of oyster known as the Black-Lipped Oyster.

I don't know if this will help when it comes time to choose an oyster, but I found these comparative photos:

Black-Lipped Oyster (this is the only type that would produce a black pearl.

Silver-Gold Lipped Oyster

Akoya Oyster

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland

Last edited by bigAWL; 03-30-2009 at 05:21 PM.
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #42
Rustysmom
DIS Veteran

Those pearls are beautiful and the pearl is my DD's birthstone. It would be so cool if we got twin ones and could each wear one.

I guess I'm weird because I feel kinda bad for the oyster though.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #43
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
For those who have ring settings, do the pearls get pretty banged up? I only have "shorter" rings where the setting isn't too high off my finger. I am thinking of getting a ring this year but I don't want a "fragile" setting or one that will get caught or banged around.
Minnesota
I've had my ring for 1 1/2 years, and I don't see any sign of it getting banged up. There's only one "problem", but I've gotten used to it. I think the pearl is bigger than they put in a pre-set ring at a jewelry store (not huge-around 7 1/2 mm if I remember). For quite a while, my ring felt "top heavy" and often twisted around on my finger (some of that is probably because I lost weight and my finger's a little smaller). Like I said, I've gotten used to it though and am so glad I got it.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #44
DivaOstrich
Mouse Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
I've never seen the Disney PickaPearl vendors, so I don't know what the oysters look like there. But I saw this question and thought I'd do a little research. Here's what I found.

Tahitian Black Pearls come in a range of colors...

and they come from a specific species of oyster known as the Black-Lipped Oyster.

I don't know if this will help when it comes time to choose an oyster, but I found these comparative photos:

Black-Lipped Oyster (this is the only type that would produce a black pearl.

Silver-Gold Lipped Oyster

Akoya Oyster

bigAWL,

Thank you so much for your research !! I am such a visual person so the pictures were awesome to include!! I want to try for a black one if they have that species. Does anyone remember seeing the black oysters??

--Missy

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/lq2xb5h8pdzbuxrg.png[/img]
Port Orleans Riverside 01/09, Fort Wilderness Cabins 10/07, Pop Century 03' WDW only for one day/night
CM 00'-02' MGM entertainment, global entertainment
CM 98' CHH, Toontown/MK entertainment
DivaOstrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #45
lyzziesmom
Ask me about my short attention sp.... ooooh, shiny!!
But never fear! My hiney is comfortably and adequately covered
I've been known to attack my mom's cat with a handful of q-tips

I have one from Japan in Epcot that is just like Minnesota's cage setting that she posted here. I love it! My DD's grandma bought it for me as a surprise on our trip a couple years ago. I felt so bad, because I was in a crabby mood that day and was tired of waiting for her, she said she was going to the bathroom and took FOREVER and I really laid into her when she got back. My #1 vacation rule is that when one person needs a restroom break, everyone tries. It cuts down on unneccessary stops. I thought she was just being stubborn because she hadn't stopped for our last 2 stops, and then we all had to wait for her. I felt so bad later that night when she gave me the little box and I saw the pearl necklace and realized what she had been up to back in Japan! It was a very sweet gesture, and is a lovely piece of jewelry. I only wish she had told me so that I could have been there to see it being chosen. I might have to do this next time so I can have a matching ring, and get to experience all the excitement.

Mmmm, Beverly!! Mmmm, Pirates!!

<-- This only looks like a princess hat. It is really my dunce cap in disguise.
lyzziesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: