Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #46
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Looking at this article, it looks like I had the date confused--it was '94. From the article (which discusses the accident in the context of defamation law):

Quote:
On a July day in 1994, a roller coaster operator at Kentucky's largest amusement park was horrified to see that two cars filled with people were hurtling down the same stretch of track – something that should never happen. He hit the emergency brake. But it was too late. The second car slammed into the first, and a seven-year-old girl's liver was lacerated.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #47
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel View Post
Looking at this article, it looks like I had the date confused--it was '94. From the article (which discusses the accident in the context of defamation law):
I remember that now. We never went on that ride. My oldest DD never liked the real fast rides when she was little, so we steered clear of those.
Pugrpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #48
ICF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel View Post
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...NE06/70622013/

Prayers for the poor little girl and her family.

I have personal knowledge of the 95 accident, which was quite severe, but assumed that things had improved there since then in terms of safety. I shudder to think that I let my kids go to SFKK just last month. They may not know it, but that was their last trip there.

Like the park or don't, but many parks have had horrible incidents occur over the years. Kings Island in OH has had riders die on rides and I'm sure your familiar wiith incidents at Mission Space.

I feel terrible for the girl and I'm sure 24 hours she never expected to be where she is now, but accidents happen.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #49
cfknight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
Like the park or don't, but many parks have had horrible incidents occur over the years. Kings Island in OH has had riders die on rides and I'm sure your familiar wiith incidents at Mission Space.

I feel terrible for the girl and I'm sure 24 hours she never expected to be where she is now, but accidents happen.
You are correct, accidents do happen. You never know where or when they are going to happen. But the mission space incident was not due to a ride defect.
2007 PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE 05/07'
2007 BEACH CLUB 12/07':
2008 ASMu/ POR ANNIVERSARY- SUPRISING DW! 05/08'
2008 POR/POFQ 10/08'
2009 POR/AKL 17 day trip! 11/09
2010 AKL F/W festival,xmas lights 11/10
cfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #50
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Accidents do happen, but cables show wear before they break. It seems to me like maintenance might not have been a high enough priority...

Last edited by Alesia; 06-23-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #51
edissk8
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalex View Post
The kids participated in the St. Judes mathathon and received free tickets to any 6 Flags park plus an additional coupon for $8 off adult tickets.

Problem is I haven't seen any good reviews for the park.

We are going to be heading to KY on vacation and will be spending 6 days in Louisville and I would like to take them to one theme park. I have a DD 10 who likes roller coasters but will probably not ride too many as dad is not able to come on this part of the trip and I don't do roller coasters. DS 9, does not like wild rides. Both like water parks.

As this is a budget board, should I take the cheaper option and go to 6 flags or splash out for a visit to Holiday World. Which is the nicer park? We have a WDW trip planned in Sept. so trying to budget our summer vacation.

We are also planning to visit: Slugger museum, downtown waterfront, science museum, flea market on Saturday, boat trip on the river and Churchill Downs. I wanted to see Lion King but cannot believe the cost of tickets.

Does anyone know where kids eat free in Louisville?

Is 6 days too long?

Should I plan on visiting other parts of Kentucky/Indiana/Ohio?

DH is joining us after the 1st week and we will be camping in COE parks near Bowling Green and Lake Cumberland.

Planning on pricelining the hotel. Hoping for the Hyatt Place or the Hyatt downtown.

Thanks for helping!

Angie
Visit Holiday World. You will be amazed at how clean the park is and how family friendly it is. The water park is wonderful. You also get free drinks and sunscreen. There is no fee for parking. Children under 3 are free. Ther are lots of things for the whole family. Great coasters and family rides as well.

The food is also very reasonable with a great variety.
edissk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #52
mrskscheer
Earning My Ears

Holiday World vs Kentucky Six Flags

The kids will be fine at Kentucky Kingdom/Six Flags - we used to go there a lot since we are local but I must say the lines are long, there are lots of teenagers and keep an eye on the kids in hurricane bay - so many people it's easy to get tumped over and pushed under.

I have been to Holiday World and it is a better location for smaller children and cheaper on the drinks.

Check out this website for Free kids food:

louisville.parentzone.com and search for free kids meals in Louisville
mrskscheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #53
crisrn2003
Mouseketeer

I hate to be the stinker in the group, but my children enjoyed KK when we lived near there. We had season passes and went often. Everyone is right when they say the concessions are expensive. We were so close by that we would eat lunch before we went and then again after we left. If you have tickets that are free, you could go early, right whatever bigger rides you wanted, then get out before the lines get long and the crowds show up. We'd often be there when the gates opened, do what we really liked and then left before the heat got us. For a free activity, what the heck....
As far as other activities in the area....
There is the Patton Museum at Ft Knox---not far from Louisville if your kids are into that sort of thing.
The Corvett Museum in Bowling Green---where then make the vehicles.
Guntown Mountain in Cave City---it has a chair lift, and an "old western town" complete with gunfight and can-can girls. Kinda cheesy but cute.
Wigwam Village is there in Cave City near Mammoth Cave---it's hotels that look like teepees. I know you have other accommodations, but it might be worth checking into for a night if you have time free.
Newport Acquarium in Newport, KY (close to Cincinnati) is a wonderful choice.
The Kentucky Derby Museum--the Derby is one of KY's biggest claims to fame.
I'm originally from KY (Louisville then Elizabethtown). I miss it terribly. It's a lovely place, I hope you enjoy.
5/07 ASMu (DS's Band trip)
1/07WL, 1/06 POR, 9/03 ASMo
6/98 and 5/93 off site
crisrn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 PM   #54
Coll0610
DIS Veteran

Count me as another vote for Holiday World. It's a 4 hour drive for us, and we've gone at least once a year for the last 6 years. Last year, we got season passes and went 3 times. I agree with everything others have said - super clean, super friendly, free soft drinks (if only it was Coke instead of Pepsi ), free sunscreen (in both the water park and the dry park this year), free parking and even a tram to bring you in from the parking lot.

Food is reasonably priced and good! We especially like the pizza, the corn on the cob (soaked in butter), the fries and the supreme nachos. (DH and I split the nachos and it's plenty for both of us.)

We've even had to visit the first aid center a couple of times (nothing serious) and they were very helpful.

I don't ride any of the rides on the dry side but there are plenty of benches where I can sit and read. There are also plenty of chairs in the water park. Sit near the kids play area and you walk through the misters on your way to get a (free) drink refill.

I've heard comments that some people think they are almost too safety conscious, as they won't let you bring any bags or even hats on the roller coasters but I say better safe than sorry.

We always have a wonderful time and our only hesitation in recommending it is that we don't want it get more crowded!
10/01, 10/02, 9/03, 10/04, 10/05, 10/06, 10/09, 10/11, 3/13 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
5/07 - Old Key West
10/07 - VWL and POR
6/8/2008 - First cruise on the Wonder!
4/09,10/12 - POR
3/12 - Cruise on the Dream
3/13 - Back to Back Cruises on the Dream
11/13 - Offsite with the high school band
8/15 - DVC Member Cruise on the Dream
Coll0610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #55
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisrn2003 View Post
I'm originally from KY (Louisville then Elizabethtown). I miss it terribly. It's a lovely place, I hope you enjoy.

how long have you been gone from E'town?

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #56
DonaldTDuck
DIS Veteran

lots of us (Kentuckians) on the board, more than I realized. We ought to have a Dismeet sometime, maybe at Lynn's or in Glendale at the Whistle Stop. But not the second week of Sept. I'll be eatin' free at the World.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 PM   #57
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldTDuck View Post
lots of us (Kentuckians) on the board, more than I realized. We ought to have a Dismeet sometime, maybe at Lynn's or in Glendale at the Whistle Stop. But not the second week of Sept. I'll be eatin' free at the World.
ooooh. The Whistle Stop. How I love their pie....

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #58
crisrn2003
Mouseketeer

Madge, I've been in Spanish Fort, AL (just outside of Mobile) almost 3 yrs. My family is still in Elizabethtown, and my husbands family is in Leitchfield. So, we go home a few times each year. I cry every year when the Derby comes on. Alabama has it's advantages too, but there's no place like home!
5/07 ASMu (DS's Band trip)
1/07WL, 1/06 POR, 9/03 ASMo
6/98 and 5/93 off site
crisrn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #59
mmmagique
Mouseketeer

I have a bit of a different perspective.
We recently moved here (Louisville) from Southern IN, where we were only 45 minutes or so from Holiday World. We made the trip to Louisville every year to go to Kentucky Kingdom, because, they have so many more rides and a GREAT water park.
Holiday World is ok IF; your children are small, and/or you want to spend most of your time in the water park. It's a bit hokey, but it is clean, and you do get free drinks, although if it's a hot day, you're probably going to be drinking water most of the day anyway...
I would at least go to KK one day if I had free tickets. If your kids are older than 8, they will probably prefer it.
But, if you do go to HW, make sure to get a blue ice cream cone. They're delicious!!
Have a wonderful time in Louisville!
And yes, I'd love to meet up with other DISers!
P.S. The zoo is lovely in Louisville. I'm thinking of going there today!
mmmagique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #60
KatiebugsMom
Mouseketeer

I know the season is just about over but I just happened upon this thread. Can I just add that if I had to choose ANY park in the USA to go to other then WDW, it would be HOLIDAY WORLD. I have experienced this park and LOVE IT!!!!

It is the cleaniest and friendliest park on the entire planet and can rival my beloved MOUSE any day. Yes I love my mouse and so much so I bought ownership of the Magic. But if Holiday World had a timeshare program, you can bet I would be the first in line to buy!!

Yep I love this park!!! And their wonderful owners. I don't see Iger greeting guests everyday, but the sight of Mrs. Koch on a Summer's morning smiling and saying Hi, that makes a day at Holiday World just that much more magical!!

KK no way!! Holiday World would be my choice hands down!!
'77 MK; '89 HS Band Trip (MK); '89 College Bowl Trip (Epcot); '99 Honeymoon (AS Mov); '01 DTD Hilton (IBM) Magic Conv; '04 2nd Honeymoon (AS Mov); March '06 Baby's 1st B-Day (AS Music); Aug '06 1st DVC SSR; Jan '07 BWV; Jan '08 AKV; Jan '09 OKW; Jan '10 SSR/THV; Aug '10 CBR; May '11 BLT; Jan '12 OKW; May '12 AKV
KatiebugsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: