Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #16
Beccabunny
Mouseketeer

I've only been posting here for a few weeks, and I want to offer my sincere apologies if I in any way added to the growing negativity in the GAC threads. When I started posting here, I found it very hard to believe people would lie, manipulate the system, or commit fraud in order to obtain the GAC or find a way to avoid the lines. Very naive of me, I know, but I guess I'm just too entrenched in my daughter's autism world and I just couldn't understand why anyone would want to fake a disability or cheat the system. And I didn't understand why certain information wasn't available. I not only advocate for my daughter but for others as well on a volunteer basis, and I tend to have trouble getting out of advocate mode. I want to see everyone who has a need get some assistance, and maybe I'm too trusting. Boy, have I ever received an education over the past few weeks! Maybe it was seeing the GAC for sale on ebay. I think that really did it for me. But seeing the kinds of threads that have been here lately had an impact too. Now I am beginning to be really afraid that Disney is going to have to make it harder to obtain a GAC, and that is going to impact those who truly need one. There are so many truly sincere people who are just trying to help their kids. I've received some PM's from some, and I feel they and others will lose out because of the abuses. And I really feel for Sue and the other moderators who are dealing with these contentious and sometimes bizarre threads. Again, I am sorry for anything I have said that was negative. I truly apprecaite the very helpful information that is available here. It bothered me to see people posting with some helpful tips, only to be told that that wasn't the kind of help that was needed. Lately I have avoided jumping in on any thread I thought was started with the purpose of being argumentative. Like Sue and many others, I want this board to be my "happy place." I am probably going to stick with things like the birthday cake thread or MNSSHP. Can't get into too many arguments there!
Beccabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #17
Belle1997
I married a beast and found my prince
So please be nice to each other and think of others first, when you do magical things can happen for many more people
Answer is Yes!

I am so glad you posted that message. I have really enjoyed being apart of this board. Though my disability is only over a year old. The many caring people who have answered my questions have been awesome.

When I saw the threads that were happening I was gettting disguested. "You lied to me" .... hit me hard. Just what the person was saying was hurtful even to people who did not post. I know when I post I may not get all my questions answered. I have never thought that people were intentionally holding information back. That sometimes people who may know the answers have not been on line or have not posted.

That is what the search is for. 95% of the time it has already been asked

Thanks for reminding us. And you are right so many of us struggle each day with a disability or a loved one with one that we need a safe place were we can get a little pixie dust and encouragement for our disney dreams.

If it was not for this board I would not have had know about the things I could do at Disney having my mobility problems. Thanks you all
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #18
Database
Hey! I'm stalking you today!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I'll end withthis last, final advice for all posters from Thumper's mom,
"If you don't have nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all."
Amen!

I made the mistake of trying to lighten-up a thread once on another board. Wasn't well received and taken out of context. Result was like throwing gasoline on a fire. (Apparently I'm stupid and condone torture.) Lesson learned.

Hope your open letter wakes us up that we all LOVE Disney and just want a fun safe place to share and learn!
Database is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #19
MarieS
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to say thanks to Sue and the other moderators for all their hard work on the DIS! I really appreciate all the helpful info--especially about the first aid stations.

MarieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #20
yorkshiregirl
Mouseketeer

Thank you Sue for your help and advice and well-balanced mature outlook.
yorkshiregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:04 PM   #21
KirstenB
Mom to "the nibbler"
Baby Donor

Thanks Sue. Our family is fairly new with disabilities, thank goodness. The process of going through various diagnoses for our 21 mth old, both physical and cognitive/social has been an eye-opener. Some days are a bit painful, and it's hard to be objective and unemotional. Those are probably the days I should lurk, rather than post. This forum has been a wealth of information for me. I lurked for the longest time to try to be more helpful when I subbed in special ed classrooms. I never envisioned how helpful this forum would be on a personal level for our family as well. Kudos and hugs to you and Cheshire!
KirstenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #22
Linda Bell
Goofy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccabunny View Post
Very naive of me
Stay that way! It speaks well of you that you assume the best in people.

Speaking of assumptions...Cheshire is a BOY! Cheshire I do apologize for calling you a great gal in one of my posts.

Linda

Sam the Eagle: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it is my honor to present to you... Mr. Mickey Mouse!
Rizzo the Rat: [singing to the tune of the Mickey Mouse Club March] Oh, Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da! Hi there, welcome to my park, how'ya doin'...
Sam the Eagle: Wait a minute! You are not Mickey Mouse! You are a rat!
Rizzo the Rat: Rat, schmat! Besides, they're tourists. What do they know?
Linda Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #23
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bell View Post
Stay that way! It speaks well of you that you assume the best in people.

Speaking of assumptions...Cheshire is a BOY! Cheshire I do apologize for calling you a great gal in one of my posts.

Linda
It's real hard to figure out who are guys and who are girls sometimes. I've been just a hair shy of making the same mistake at times.

Cheshire is a guy. A great guy!

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #24
taximomfor4
Needs a few Ricola drops
I get first dibs on the jasmine scented one

Sue, just want to chime in with a THANK YOU as well. Without the support of several DISabilities members (yourself included), I would never have even attempted a WDW trip with my dd.

Beth
Old 06-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #25
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Well said, Sue! I don't come here very often but I send people here and sure appreciate that you and the other mods are here for them, and doing your best to make this a nice place to visit as well. Thank you!

I have ADD and I know from experience that particular little deficit can inflict one with hoof IN mouth disease. Sometimes things I think are fine to say will hit someone else the wrong way. So let me say, If I've been an offender - entirely possible, and I wouldn't even know it - I'm sorry. I NEVER intentionally zing someone!
Old 06-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #26
JoyMouse
Mouseketeer

Sue, thanks for all that you and other moderators do. You are awesome! This is a super place to go for info. or even just stress relief. You are appreciated.
Joy
Old 06-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #27
HarbinsMom
Mouseketeer

Thanks to you Sue and Cheshire both for your patience and wisdom. Thanks for making this a *place away from the magic*.

May/June 2008 DLR,
May 2007 WDW CBR, July 2006 DLR, July 2005 DLR, July 2004 DLR, July 2003 DLR, January 2003 WDW CBR, April 2002 DLR, July 2001 DLR, July 2000 DLR, December 1999 WDW CBR, May 1998 DLR, December 1996 WDW-offsite
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m2as9dlqkgbk2.png[/img]
HarbinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #28
GroovyWheeler
Earning My Ears

Smile

Just wanted to say "thanks" too. Even though I know what to expect when taking my manual wheelchair to Disney, I didn't know what to expect when I take my walker to Disney World next year. I got my question about taking my walker on the bus, as I would if I had my wheelchair, answered. But, I may have more when my trip gets closer. And, I feel confident that there are knowledgeable people on here that would be able to help me answer them.

Samantha
GroovyWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #29
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Dear Sue....I am so glad disAbilities is here!

Sue and e-friends:

My DS was on a waiting list for a transplant from age 4 to age 7 and finally received his new liver last year - many thanks to donor families out there, saving someone else's life at the lowest moment in their lives; you are my heroes! After transplant, my DS has had seizures and it is thought that he may possibly have ASD or Aspbergers. The testing happens when we get back from WDW. To add insult to injury, a few months ago, he was bounced from hospital to hospital because there were fears that he had contracted colon cancer from the transplant meds he is on. Thank heavens that was not the case.

About 3 months ago one of his care coordinators nominated him to a wish organization in our state and a little while later we found out my DS's wish was granted. Off to FL for all of us for the first time! I lived in CA for several years and did Disneyland frequently (back in the E ticket days). I have NO WDW experience. I have 5 children (thus the 5dwarves name). WDW in July/August with five kids is daunting...add a special needs child to that and it can become frightening. I met a woman whose DS has Aspbergers and she was preparing to leave for WDW (and is probably there right now). She sent me here for info and reassurance. This forum has been invaluable to me! Even though I have posted less than a dozen times, I have read a great deal and gained invaluable information. I have even gained the fun stuff like the tye dye Mickey shirt instructions! You have all helped alleviate a great deal of anxiety for me.

I am very sorry that you and others had had to deal with ugly behavior on this forum. I am, however, extremely thankful and glad you, and so many others, perservere through the ugliness, ignore those that would manipulate, and still continue to help people like me. Many, many thanks!!!!!! You all have been part of the Disney magic for My DH, DS, DD, DS, DS, DS and me.

5dwarves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #30
MightyMom
DIS Veteran

SueM (and all moderators for that matter)

You have the patience of a saint. I enjoy reading through some threads, but I know I would never have the patience to moderate this board.

Having a child with a disability has opened my eyes to a world I was closed off to. You see the world in a new way. You notice the lack of ramps and accessible parking. You see a whole new level of ignorance. But on the flip side you see overwhelming compassion and pure goodness in people.

For me and my family Disney World is a place we have gone to escape the world we live in. My son rides Big Thunder Mountain with his arms up in the air just like every other 8 year old boy. For those few minutes.....he is just like every other kid..... it doesn't matter that he has cerebral palsy.

In between our visits... I visit these boards and live vicariously through other people. I come here open minded... trying to learn something new to make our trip a little more special.

DHMe32 DS10 DS6

June 2005- ASM
June 2006- ASM
Sept 2008- ASSports
August 2010- POR
MightyMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: