Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 PM   #31
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugrpooh View Post
The museums are all within a block of each other on Main St. There's a parking garage right behind Slugger Museum and a parking lot behind the Science Museum off of River Rd.
The Science Center parking lot is affected by the restore 64 project (at least that's what WAVE-3 was reporting last weekend ) on the weekends. There are plenty of other alternative places to park, though.

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #32
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madge View Post
The Science Center parking lot is affected by the restore 64 project (at least that's what WAVE-3 was reporting last weekend ) on the weekends. There are plenty of other alternative places to park, though.

That's probably true! The I-64 work might keep people away from downtown during the weekends too, I haven't seen any reports to that though, but even so there's plenty of parking.

A couple of kid-friendly restaurants that I thought of -- Huber Farm in s. Indiana and Claudia Sanders Dinner House between Simpsonville and Shelbyville.
Pugrpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #33
insoin

DIS Veteran

The Speed Art Museum is really nice. Kids may not get a lot out of it, but its neat. Right now they have a special Photo exibit of famous pictures and all that. I know it was talked about going for a cruise on the river, I guess that means the Belle of Louisville. I drove past it today and it hit me again how neat of a boat it is.
insoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #34
loveswdw
DIS Veteran

Hyatt Place IS on Hurstbourne Pkwy. Downtown is about 5-10 minutes from there on the expressway or interstate. The Hyatt Place used to be an AmeriSuites hotel if you are familiar with those. Around the hotel is TONS of restaurants and shopping, mostly chains such as Olive Garden, Carraba's, Macaroni Grill, Chili's, etc. etc. etc. There's tons to eat just in that area alone. There's lots of stores too (Barnes & Noble and CompUSA are right next to the hotel).

As far as stuff to do I think everybody else has pretty much got it covered. We've been to KY Kingdom several times in the past but haven't been for at least 7-8 years. We've never been to Holiday World but we do have a trip planned to there the weekend after July 4th.

There's a LOT to do in Louisville!!

OUR TRIPS March '14-RPR/AKVK Oct '11-BCV Oct '10-HHI June '10 (Star Wars Weekends)-Swan/BWV Feb/March '09-OKW (Spring Training) Oct '08-SSR/POR (Alex's 1st trip) Oct '07-OKW (Our 1st MNSSHP) Dec '06-BCV (Our 1st MVMCP) Oct '05-BCV March '05-OKW/AKL (Spring Training/Jonathan's first trip!) Oct '03-BCV (first trip HOME!) Sept '02-POFQ (first trip for my mom!) Sept '01-Hard Rock Hotel (had to stay there!!) Sept '00-CSR (Millennium celebration) Sept '99-POFQ (honeymoon!) Jan '98 ASMu (first trip--the WDW addiction begins!)
loveswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM   #35
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insoin View Post
The Speed Art Museum is really nice. Kids may not get a lot out of it, but its neat. Right now they have a special Photo exibit of famous pictures and all that. I know it was talked about going for a cruise on the river, I guess that means the Belle of Louisville. I drove past it today and it hit me again how neat of a boat it is.
The Speed has Art Sparks in the basement for the kids. Lots of things for different ages. It's a $5 charge but there's a lot of neat activities for them.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #36
madge
... is soaking in it

I keep thinking of more - there's the Abe Lincoln birthplace in Hodgenville and a small Coca-cola museum in Elizabethtown (right off I-65, on the way to Bowling Green)

Have a safe trip and enjoy your stay! I'd love to hear a mini trip report when you return home!

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #37
don8life
Please don't take your organs to heaven. Heaven knows we need them here.

We went to six flags kentucky last summer. i thought the people and the customers were rude. I was not impressed. They did have a pretty cool water park inside that did not require extra money.

I don't know about the other park you mentioned.

The sugger museum and the science center are awesome. If your children play ball be prepared money wise to buy them personalized bats. If not they give out free minnie ones with the tour.
don8life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #38
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

I just heard on the radio that a young girl had her feet severed while on a ride at Six Flags KK! I think they said it was the Superman (or maybe he said Spiderman) ride. It's been years since I've been there so I'm not familiar with it. Poor girl!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #39
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
I just heard on the radio that a young girl had her feet severed while on a ride at Six Flags KK! I think they said it was the Superman (or maybe he said Spiderman) ride. It's been years since I've been there so I'm not familiar with it. Poor girl!
I just read about it on MSNBC. How absolutely horrible. I've always hated that park. Apparently it happened on a "drop" ride that malfunctioned.

That poor girl. My heart goes out to her and her family.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #40
gracelrm
Wow - you learn something new everyday!
There's nothing better than taking the boat to MK

To the OP: I don't know when you are planning on going to Holiday World, but if it is still during the month of June - if you take in a pepsi product can - you can get some off the admission. We went in May and got $8.00 off per person and I think that during June it may be $4.00 off per person. You only need one can for up to 8 people (not one per person). Maybe that will help justify going there over Kentucky Kingdom. Have a great time!
gracelrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #41
cfknight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
I just read about it on MSNBC. How absolutely horrible. I've always hated that park. Apparently it happened on a "drop" ride that malfunctioned.

That poor girl. My heart goes out to her and her family.
I heard that at work tonite. I just keep thinking how many times my kids have gone on that ride. Gives me goose bumps.Wish that family the best.
2007 PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE 05/07'
2007 BEACH CLUB 12/07':
2008 ASMu/ POR ANNIVERSARY- SUPRISING DW! 05/08'
2008 POR/POFQ 10/08'
2009 POR/AKL 17 day trip! 11/09
2010 AKL F/W festival,xmas lights 11/10
cfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #42
da-winnie-pooh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianadisneyfan View Post
It's Holiday World for me also. I have been to Kentucky Kingdom once, and the only reason that I went then it was for a work picnic/ get together. I would never go back even if I got in free again. To many little "punks" walking around with their pants half off. I also say lot of women ( and yes I don't mind seeing them in bathing suits) walking around in them riding rides and it wasn't a pretty site. You won't see that at Holiday World. When you leave the swimming area you have to have all your clothes on over your bathing suit.
Hey, I walked around KK in my swimsuit top (it was a tankini, nothing shocking) because someone stole our backpack. We paid an enormous price for a small locker, because they didn't have any big ones, ooo, I was steamed. Thugs stole my shirt and my BRA!! EWWWW. Anything really valuable was crammed in the small locker and we just left the backpack by the Lazy River. GRRRR.

Holiday World, OTOH, is awesome! Apparently, it is consistently voted cleanest park and the park with the friendliest employees. I believe it! And they had such good food. Seriously, we sat down, had lunch, threw away our trash and immediately an employee was washing our table. We didn't leave a mess, but they got rid of any crumbs that may have been there. My dd is wanting to go back and ride their new coaster. Hopefully, next summer!

It's a 6 hour drive for us, at least, but worth it!!
da-winnie-pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #43
da-winnie-pooh
Mouseketeer

Also, we got the Pepsi can discount. AND, admission is based on height. DS was right at the cut-off (I think it was 54 inches) and they let him in at the lower price. He was still tall enough to ride all of the rides.

Definitely one of the nicer parks we've been to. Just don't expect it to be WDW and you'll love it too!
da-winnie-pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #44
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
State is inspecting ride that severed girl’s feet
The Courier-Journal

State inspectors from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture’s Office of Consumer and Environmental Protection are at the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom amusement park, trying to determine what caused the accident that amputated a 13-year-old girl’s feet above the ankles yesterday.

Carolyn McLean, a Six Flags spokeswoman, said state inspectors are working alongside the park’s own team of experts to try to figure out what happened. She said no specific information was available this morning.

No information on the girl’s condition or her name has been released. McLean said the park is respecting the family’s privacy and not releasing any details.
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...NE06/70622013/

Prayers for the poor little girl and her family.

I have personal knowledge of the 95 accident, which was quite severe, but assumed that things had improved there since then in terms of safety. I shudder to think that I let my kids go to SFKK just last month. They may not know it, but that was their last trip there.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #45
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying Colonel View Post
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...NE06/70622013/

Prayers for the poor little girl and her family.

I have personal knowledge of the 95 accident, which was quite severe, but assumed that things had improved there since then in terms of safety. I shudder to think that I let my kids go to SFKK just last month. They may not know it, but that was their last trip there.

What was the accident in '95? Was it when the people were stuck in the roller coaster (the Vampire I think it was?)?

I keep putting off taking DD5 to KK. I always feel grimy after a day there. I think we'll work in a trip to Holiday World this summer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: