Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Help Me Convince DF A Disney Cruise Is "Not For Kids"

I want to go on a cruise. So does DF. He doesn't want to go on a Disney Cruise, because he thinks that would be too Disney. He thinks we'd be surronded by Mickey Mouse and company 24/7.

I told him that there are special adult-only areas, and the characters don't go there. (Seriously, have no idea why I'm engaged to this man.) And that we, (okay, he,) could avoid most of the character meet and greets by watching the navigators. That we could go to adult activities, and we wouldn't be surronded by kids.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
ReallyFunMom
DIS Veteran

You mean not JUST for kids. Have him read this trip report about a couple of couples that went and had great time w/o kids. Tell him he can pick next cruise, that you realllllllly want it. Most men decide its better for them to keep the wife/girlfriend happy.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1219471

You don't have to "wait" for kids. I was on this cruise with my kids and it was great but I don't think I had near as much fun, alcohol and relaxation as the childless couples!
ReallyFunMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

We went on the 4 day wonder for our 5th Wedding anniversary and it was amazing. Other than the shows you could totally avoid the characters if you wanted!! Most of the time you see them is during organized meet and greets so like you say - you can avoid those.

Castaway Cay is amazing and the adult beach is miles (not literally but it does feel like it!) from all the kids and therefore all the characters too!!

The adult pool is very quiet (or it was when we were there) and the spa is FANTASTIC!!!! (If you are struggling to convince him - show him details of the VERY INITMATE Serial Bath!!!)

Palos is also very romantic - In fact there is so much you can do as a couple that I'm actually worried that we are going for the first time with children next year and that they will spoil our adult time!! (only joking!! - Well partly!! )

NEXT TRIPS: August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland / Aug 2016 - Portofino/BLT/Jambo

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
amystevekai&bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

Hubby and I have no kids and have been on almost 60 Disney cruises!! We see Mickey and the gang as an enhancement, but not as the sole reason. I'd rather do Disney than RCCL any day (done 4 on RCCL) because Disney is the one that actually enforces their adults-only areas (well, usually...I was rather disappointed in Cove Cafe's enforcement...or lack thereof...on my last Wonder trip, but I hope it was just an anomaly). The adult pool area, adult beach on Castaway Cay, brunch and dinner at Palo....ahhhhhhhhhh!! And the spa...don't even get me started! I could live there.

I've seen characters in the adult areas occasionally, but they don't make a point of coming to them...and I've never seen any in the spa!
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
ScouterJT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkognito View Post
I've seen characters in the adult areas occasionally, but they don't make a point of coming to them...and I've never seen any in the spa!
now there is a thought ... what do you say to Mickey in the sauna?
WDW 2006, 2009, 2013
Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic 2007 (Western)
Disney Magic 2007 (Eastern)
Disney Magic 2008 (Western)
Disney Magic 2009 (Eastern)
Disney Wonder 2013 (Alaska)
ScouterJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
surferrat
SURF? And get my wings wet? Dream On!
Tag Fairy has a Bar of Soap with my name on it

We are going in July for our 13th anniv. and we will be leaving the kids at home

~Ray
surferrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
mrp4352
DIS Veteran

I've been three times and we've never gone with kids!

I'll tell you - the most amazing fact to me at the end of every cruise has been how many children are on board! I would have guessed 200-300 on the first cruise we took with Disney - during the end talk, they told us it was over 1000! They keep the kids so busy, you don't see them except during meals (except Palos), during the shows or if you head to the family or kids pool...

Disney Dream Maiden Voyage trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post40042393
May 21, 2012 Yukon Ho! Wonder cruise report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2937171
mrp4352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
LAMPSKIES
DIS Veteran
Every once in a while, if you're good, you will have a change happen
I track TF's on CC! (Psst...a good place to start is the bar!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
I want to go on a cruise. So does DF. He doesn't want to go on a Disney Cruise, because he thinks that would be too Disney. He thinks we'd be surronded by Mickey Mouse and company 24/7.

I told him that there are special adult-only areas, and the characters don't go there. (Seriously, have no idea why I'm engaged to this man.) And that we, (okay, he,) could avoid most of the character meet and greets by watching the navigators. That we could go to adult activities, and we wouldn't be surronded by kids.
We are bar far "Mouse people" our DDs never had any interest in pictures with any characters. But we had a great time EVERY time. The characters seem to know who wants pics and who doesn't....our DDs are 17 and 15 and requested DCL for our 6th sailing this November.....there are many adult activities and areas to just get away........

Example 1: Hot legs contest......ya think they'd allow kids to see this??

Jessica,
Alli (DDs)

07 11/24 Eastern.....Finally, ready or not here we come.....The Ron Jovies are back!

Nov. 19, 2005 second annual "Turkey day sailing". Ready or not here we come!!!

Thanksgiving 2004 First "Official Turkeyday sailing"!

Feb. 2000 our first land and sea vacation

Nov. 2002 Cancelled Eastern

Nov. 2002 Replacement Land, Sea, Land of cancelled 11/29 Magic

Nov. 27, 2003 Land and 7 night Eastern.....finally

November 20, 2004 Western.......
LAMPSKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
LAMPSKIES
DIS Veteran

Then of course there is the "Ron Bon Jovies"....no kids allowed here either......

The Go Gos are always a hit around midnight..........

Jessica,
Alli (DDs)

07 11/24 Eastern.....Finally, ready or not here we come.....The Ron Jovies are back!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
LAMPSKIES
DIS Veteran

And there is no better "adult entertainment" the the Village people singing on stage.....

Jessica,
Alli (DDs)

Old 06-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
LAMPSKIES
DIS Veteran

Now that I have scared your DF.....there are some great relaxing places.......

Diversions for beer tasting......

Snorkeling at CC

Or laying on the beach sharing a beer......

Jessica,
Alli (DDs)

Old 06-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
ReallyFunMom
DIS Veteran

You might tell him the median age of the ADULTS is lower on DCL too. Depending on which other cruise and cruiseline you are considering, you may look around the dining room and feel like you are dining with the early bird crowd. Not that thats a bad thing.......

You also have less of the 18-22 heavy drinker singles crowd hoping to hook up. Course if you are in your 20's, these might be fun people to party with so that could be strike against DCL.

I also found less smoking and smoky smells on DCL but really only have RCL Majesty to compare it to. And I like Majesty fine, but DCL more.
ReallyFunMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouterJT View Post
now there is a thought ... what do you say to Mickey in the sauna?
Better yet, what do you say when you see Mickey and Minnie coming out of the surial/rasual?!
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp4352 View Post
They keep the kids so busy, you don't see them except during meals (except Palos), during the shows or if you head to the family or kids pool...
I went on a Disney cruise back in 1999, and never saw my kid cousins, except at dinner. I sent DF an e-mail telling him how much I'd like to go on another cruise, since I was just under 18 on the last one, and really want to try Palo and the spa. Especially since my parents and other adult relatives all ate there, and said how good it was.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkognito View Post
Hubby and I have no kids and have been on almost 60 Disney cruises!! We see Mickey and the gang as an enhancement, but not as the sole reason. I'd rather do Disney than RCCL any day (done 4 on RCCL) because Disney is the one that actually enforces their adults-only areas (well, usually...I was rather disappointed in Cove Cafe's enforcement...or lack thereof...on my last Wonder trip, but I hope it was just an anomaly). The adult pool area, adult beach on Castaway Cay, brunch and dinner at Palo....ahhhhhhhhhh!! And the spa...don't even get me started! I could live there.

Ditto!
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: