Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #16
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySharp2 View Post
....Staying somewhere else other than a villa gives us the best of everything, we have booked a villa for Easter 2008 and will stay there for 12 nights at the end of the holiday. Just feel it's a nice balance staying 4 or 5 nights at a DVC resort too, especially as you get the facilities of BWV and BCV (I love the ESPN bar).

So yes, I think it works very well, I wouldn't consider staying 'on-site' for all or most of the holiday though, mainly because we do not visit the parks each day and like to relax, do some shopping , go to the beach etc too.

Familiarity is a big thing for Joshua, he likes the comfort of a villa and doesn't take too well to changes and doing different things, we cannot even get him to go in a restaurant without him getting upset, so you can appreciate we have had to think long and hard about buying into DVC.
We are in the same boat as you Johnny and tend to stay in a villa for 2 weeks or so then spend a few nights on our DVC points down at Vero Beach and then at one of the on site DVC resorts.

DS's autism means he also likes the familarity of the villa we stay in but he is getting used to DVC accomodation as well. He and DD love the ocean so this helps. We are lucky that he and DD are high functioning so at least we can let them go to the kids club at the Poly for one night and get a meal out (the only time DH and I get out together is in Florida.)

If you stick with one resort it might become familiar to Joshua.

Good luck with what you decide

TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #17
JohnnySharp2
No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
We are in the same boat as you Johnny and tend to stay in a villa for 2 weeks or so then spend a few nights on our DVC points down at Vero Beach and then at one of the on site DVC resorts.

DS's autism means he also likes the familarity of the villa we stay in but he is getting used to DVC accomodation as well. He and DD love the ocean so this helps. We are lucky that he and DD are high functioning so at least we can let them go to the kids club at the Poly for one night and get a meal out (the only time DH and I get out together is in Florida.)

If you stick with one resort it might become familiar to Joshua.

Good luck with what you decide
Thanks.

We actually stayed at the Boardwalk the first few nights of our August holiday last year and then moved on to the 17 night villa stay.
Later in the holiday we wanted to go back to BWV for breakfast at Spoodles, but Josh got very upset as we turned off to drive into the resort so we couldn't go in.
Mainly because I am sure he presumed we were going back there to stay, and by then he was happy and settled in the villa.
This is just one of the problems we have, even driving past the Formosa Gardens turn off to go to Publix or Chick fil a down the road is a problem as he knows where Indian Creek is and cannot understand why we are driving past it etc

So everything we do has to be well thought out! we would love to do some ADRs too, but we cancelled all of them when he wouldn't go into Golden Corral one morning.

Last edited by JohnnySharp2; 05-02-2007 at 01:21 AM.
JohnnySharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #18
JohnnySharp2
No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!

Despite the excellent exchange rate, and a couple of really attractive resales with banked points that were available, for the moment we are putting DVC on hold.
Whilst there are no problems for us financially, we just aren't 100% sure at the moment for a few reasons, one of which is Josh is such an early riser and up at 5am every morning, not ideal when someone is in the room next door (especially considering he is running around and playing!).
In addition we have booked a villa now for most of our stay next year anyway, one we have stayed at before at a bargain price.
We may think again at some point but appreciate all the advice as at least we now know everything there is to know.
I think you need to have no doubts about it to commit, to be honest I am looking forward more to getting away to the coast for a few days on our Easter 2008 holiday than anything else.

Thanks for all the pm's, even though we are still unsure all the information we now have has been really useful for us.
We may reconsider our plans at some point, in fact knowing us we definitely will - if so I will let you know.

Last edited by JohnnySharp2; 05-11-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 AM   #19
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

Quote:
......Whilst there are no problems for us financially, we just aren't 100% sure at the moment for a few reasons, one of which is Josh is such an early riser and up at 5am every morning, not ideal when someone is in the room next door (especially considering he is running around and playing!).....
If you have any doubts then you are right not to go a head at the moment. Be sure to take the tour when you go at Easter - I know it will be difficult with Josh and you might have to each go separately but it would be worth it

Quote:
......to be honest I am looking forward more to getting away to the coast for a few days on our Easter 2008 holiday than anything else......
The coast is such a big part of our holiday that I know where you're coming from, have you considered renting some DVC points to stay at Vero Beach? It is a great resort with the hotel right on the beach

TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:52 AM   #20
JohnnySharp2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
If you have any doubts then you are right not to go a head at the moment. Be sure to take the tour when you go at Easter - I know it will be difficult with Josh and you might have to each go separately but it would be worth it

The coast is such a big part of our holiday that I know where you're coming from, have you considered renting some DVC points to stay at Vero Beach? It is a great resort with the hotel right on the beach
We have done the full tour of SSR Jakki , last August, whilst we found it useful but after a while I had to take Joshua out as he was getting fed up, and we did stay at Boardwalk last August but too early on the holiday I think - Josh was awake often at 2 or 3 am in the morning sometimes.
Not a problem in a villa but hotel, DVC etc it's not great in that respect really.

Staying at Vero was one thing that got us interested in the first place, however as we arrive on a Friday and are staying at the Hyatt MCO our 1st night we figured we would set off somewhere on our travels the next day, maybe for 3 or 4 nights before back to Orlando for the remaining 16 (the last 12 of which we have booked a villa for). It's always best if our villa stay is at the end of our holiday, as once Josh stays there he won't want to move into anywhere else - he kicked up a fuss last year when we returned to BWV for breakfast and we had to do a u-turn!
Naturally points are much higher at weekends, to be honest I cannot wait to get back to Fort Lauderdale and have a look around Miami too, but doing that AND Vero would be too much I think.

It is feasible , that later in the year we may re-visit the DVC thing. We shall see
Everything is complex with our holidays and I guess I prattle on and on about this and that sometimes, mostly unavoidable with little Josh though.

Last edited by JohnnySharp2; 05-11-2007 at 04:01 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: