Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
Mozart
There's one in every crowd...and it's usually me

Vicky & Al's - 4/26/07

When my wife and I were married ten years ago, we really wanted to go and eat at Victoria and Albert’s, but like many new couples we just couldn’t fit anything like that into our budget. Our honeymoon was spent at Port Orleans, with a week of theme parks thrown in, and even a (short) day at Sea World. Granted, we ate at some nice restaurants (Cinderella’s Royal Table, Chefs de France, California Grille, Alfredo’s and more) but we just couldn’t justify the big bucks. As we approached our 10th anniversary though, we found ourselves saying “We can do $500 for one meal, just as long as we don’t make it too regular.” And thus we find ourselves on the evening of Thursday, April 26th, 2007 at Victoria and Albert’s. We arrive at 8:00 for 9:30 reservations in order to give ourselves time to explore the Grand Floridian. After going to the shops and buying some H2O shampoo (fell in love with that on our cruise.) and a Tink pin for DW’s collection, we head to Mizner’s for a pre-dinner cocktail. Red wine for me, and Amaretto Disarrono on the rocks for her. Nice, but the main event’s time has arrived and we head next door.

Of course, the maitre’d is waiting for us, calls us by name, and we are led to our table. Thus, the adventure begins. Below are our selections, along with their wine accompaniement (yes, we had the wine pairing)

Amuse Bouche:
Lobster Bisque and Lobster sausage with Heidsieck Monopole “Blue Top” Brut Champagne NV.

Cold Appetizer:
Me – Seared Colorado Buffalo Tenderloin, Braised Fennel, Radishes and Satsuma Tangerine Vinaigrette (Cantina Del Taburno Falanghina, Campania 2005)
DW – Dungeness and King Crab with Spring Asparagus and Calvisius Caviar (Sella & Mosca La Cala Vermentino, Sardegna 2004)

Hot Appetizer:
Me – New England Elk with Elephant Garlic Spaetzle and Veal Sweetbreads (Perez Cruz reserva Carmenere, Maipo Valley 2004)
DW – Long Island Duck with Roasted Chiogga Beets and Turnip Kraut (Dr. Zenzen Apollo-Falter Spatburgunder, Rheinhessen 2005)

Fish:
Me – Washington State Salmon with Mustard Greens, Sauce Soubise and Ramp Pesto (Pere & Fils Christian Moreau Chablis 2004)
DW – Yellow Fin Tuna Tempura with Hijiki Salad and Carrot-Ginger Coulis (Sepp Moser Gruner Veltliner “Breiter Rain” Kremsatl Austria 2005)

Entrée:
Me – Poulet Rouge with Wild Mushroom Ragout and Truffled Egg (Toad Hall Pinot Noir Dijon Clones, Carneros 2003)
DW – Prosciutto Wrapped Lamb with Potato Gnocci and Sherry Vinaigrette (Cesari “Mara” Vino Di Ripasso Valpolicella 2003)

Me – Comte Saint Antoine, Fourme D’Ambert, and Pierre Robert (Cockburn’s 10 Year Old Tawny Porto)
DW – Lemon Gelato with Almond Biscotti and Candied Lemon Zest (Michele Chiarlo “Nivole” Moscato D’Asti, Piedmont 2005)

Dessert:
Me – Grand Marnier Souffle
DW – Carmalized Banana Gateau

I’m a huge fan of she-crab soup, and lobster bisque is very similiar in many ways. The key to it is getting just the right amount of sherry, which was accomplished perfectly. The lobster sausage is something that was so small, I honestly could not tell you what it tasted like. I loved the way the buffalo was cooked, and DW’s caviar was excellent as well (although only having had caviar 2 or 3 times in my life before, I’m probably not a very good judge of it. Each course was definitely ramping up, though, because the elk was good…the duck was outstanding. I was a little bit disappointed with the fish course, but then came the entrée and WOW!

The mushroom ragout made the chicken just sparkle, and I’ve never had a truffled egg before. I will be looking for recipes when I get home. I have got to have that one again! As good as those were, though, the prosciutto wrapped lamb topped them. Just outstanding. By the time we got to the cheeses and gelato, I was so overwhelmed that I hardly paid attention to that course. Good port, I do remember that. Maybe the problem by this time was that we were beginning to feel the effects of the wine pairing. Someone had told me that the wine pairing would be very small glasses, but they weren’t, and everything was so good that we felt compelled to finish the glasses. That did not last the whole meal, but we were feeling it by dessert time.

Oh yeah! Dessert. 3 word…Grand Marnier, and Souffle. Not much more needs to be said.

Overall, the meal was excellent and about what we expected. Was it worth the $382 we paid for it (before tip)…yes. Would we do it again…we definitely will.

And one final thought…when DW couldn’t’ finish her meal, they brought us a doggie bag for her to take food home (without us asking.) The only thing we took was the lamb.

That made a really good breakfast the next morning.
Magic 7 Night Eastern - 11/08 - Life Stinks Season 3
Wonder 3 Night - 04/10 - Life Stinks Season 4
10th Anniversary at Victoria and Albert's

Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
TheDisneyClan
Mouseketeer

Sounds wonderful! Congats on your 10th!

V&A has been a dream for me, maybe my DH and I will do the same for our
10th in 2 years. Thanks so much for the sharing.
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Enjoyed the review and glad you had a great meal. Anything in particular about the fish course that wasn't up to par?
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
ufgator
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your review. Happy Anniversary!
Me DH DS#1 DS#2 DS#3 DD Dog

Visit I Love Teddies
Your largest teddy and real bear resource, including reviews and pictures of Disney Teddy Bear and Doll Weekends

Recent trips: The Fort 2013 ~ Poly 2012 ~ GF 2011 ~ Stayed at AKL, BC, BWI, CBR, CSR, CR, Ft. Wilderness Cabins & Campgrounds, GF, Poly, POFQ, POR, WL and YC. Visited Disneyland CA and Disneyland Paris.
ufgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
druidia
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

Location: Exactly 120 miles from the magic (and 147 from the Wonder)!

We also passed on V&As during our honeymoon, but DH booked it for our 2nd anniversary on Monday evening. The same menu was offered, but we also had some of the vegetarian items thrown in, and don't really drink wine, so we passed on the pairings.

For such small portions, we were absolutely STUFFED by dessert. I also had the Grand Marnier souffle, but my DH told me not to eat it all. What??? But it's so good!!!

Turns out he had the GF Bakery make us a replica of our wedding cake top layer to eat for dessert, which they brought out after dessert. We were too stuffed to eat it! We've been sharing with the neighbors since we returned home!

We enjoyed V&A's, and the service was outstanding. For the $$, though, I think I would rather go to California Grill. We dined there Saturday night and it was excellent once again.

Glad you enjoyed it and happy anniversary!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
Krissalee
DIS Veteran

Fantastic review! DH and I will be celebrating our 9th anniversary at V&A's. It will be our 3rd experience there, and I am counting down the days.
Past Trips: 10/13 BWV (15th Anniversary) 9/13 BWV (Krissy's first solo trip), 11/12 OKW, 10/11 BWV (13th Anniversary), 2/11 SSR (Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary) , 10/10 SSR (12th Anniversary), 1/10 BWV, 3/09 BWV, 10/08 SSR (10th Anniversary), 10/07 BCV/SSR (9th Anniversary), 10/06 BWV (8th Anniversary), 10/05 BWV (7th Anniversary & Hurricane Wilma), 10/03 BWV (5th Anniversary), 12/02 AKL/YC (my 30th birthday), 3/02 ASM, 10/01 WL (3rd Anniversary), 1999 CBR (Craig's first trip), childhood trips late 70s/early 80s
Krissalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
wildernesslodgelover
LOTW charter member!
Of course if they *did* start serving alcohol at MK, I would be first in line, but it doesn't rent space in my head or anything

Thanks so much for the review! We leave in the morning for three nights at the Dolphin to celebrate OUR Ten Year Anniversary! You were married just one week before us!

We will be dining at V&A's for the first time ever tomorrow night. We enjoy good food but the price always held us back a bit, as well as traveling with DD (she is 8 now, and will be staying with my parents while we are gone...and boy is she MAD! LOL) We think it is fitting for such a special occasion, though.

I am so happy to hear your review, and I suspect our menu will be similar. I won't ask any qeustions, because I will probably not be around to see your answers. I will be posting my own review when I return. Thanks for sharing and happy anniversary!
trying to stay at every resort at least once! only AS, CBR, Poly and GF left!
wildernesslodgelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
Prinny27
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review! DF and I will be eating there in four weeks for our honeymoon and are SO excited to try this restaurant.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
D&R love Disney
DIS Veteran

Fantastic review, what a great anniversary dinner!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
moparop
DIS Veteran

What a great review! We went to V&A on our HM and it was the highlight of the trip. We still talk about the food we ate there!!
moparop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #11
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Congrats on your Anniversary
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
d'Isigny
WDW/DCL Dreaming

VERY NICE!!! I enjoyed your review of V&A's...thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

sorry I'm late - but happy belated anniversary...appears it was two days ago - hope you are still celebrating. K

Oct - 1995 WDW, Jun - 1996 WDW, Jan - 2000 WDW/DCL Wonder, Apr/May - 2001 WDW/DCL Wonder (jus Nan & I), Jan - 2003 WDW/DCL Magic Western, Oct - 2005 WDW/DCL Magic Eastern, Oct - 2007 WDW/DCL Magic Eastern,
Oct - 2010 WDW/DCL Magic Eastern...WDW/DCL in 2015 - under discussion
Too many DL trips to list - Oct - 2008 Lunch at Club 33

Wishing you smooth seas and great seats for Disney Dreams......K
d'Isigny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: