Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
Mozart
There's one in every crowd...and it's usually me

9/23/07: Life Stinks! The 2nd Season! -The Final Episode. :(

This thread will attempt to capture all the magical moments in our 4 night cruise departing Sept 23, 2007 from nearly the beginning all the way to arriving back home at our doorway. It is inspired by the greatest TR I ever read, originally written by Ashman. I only hope mine is half as good. I’ll update it sparingly, as it warrants. If I don’t stop obsessing over the cruise, that may mean updates every night for the next 5 months.

It’s strange to try and pinpoint a time when a vacation really starts. Is it the moment that you make a financial commitment to the vacation? Is it the moment you decide you’re going to do something? Is it the moment that really sets in motion the chain of events that lead to the vacation? Do you have to be directly involved in it, or could you just be an extra who later becomes the star of the show? Is it the moment you begin the trip report? Tough to say, isn’t it? In one of those cases, you could point back all the way to 1956, when my parents were married. Or, you could point to the moment, 50 years later, in October 2006 when my brother and I decided that for their 50th wedding anniversary, we would take our parents on a cruise the following February. My discovery of the DIS boards to begin nurturing what would practically become an obsession in less than a month’s time might just be the right thing to point to. But, a lot of people would say that the moment the September 2007 vacation memories begin was that moment on February 24th, 2007 when we told the onboard booking agent to charge another $400 to our credit card. We’re coming back, we said. See ya in September. For a full recap of that first cruise, see this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1371493

But this would be a story with twists and turns so devilish that not even Alfred Hitchcock would be able to comprehend it all. You see, an unexpected thing happened when we got back home after our February cruise. My wife and I raved about our cruise to friends and family. We talked about how they needed to join us. We talked about all the great things we experienced. Mostly, we talked about Serenity Bay. We kept telling them how great a cruise was and that they needed to go on one. “We’re taking another one in September” we said. We didn’t really expect any of them to decide to go with us.

They did.

My MIL and FIL decided to join us. This just got interesting.

So, here I sit on the evening of April 17, 2007. I’m realizing just how obsessed I am about DCL right now. I’m writing a freaking trip report for a cruise more than 5 months away. Meanwhile, we’re heading to Orlando to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and eat at Victoria and Albert’s in 9 days. My priorities do seem kind of out of whack, don’t they? I’ve got so many things going on it’s ridiculous. I should be planning for our WDW trip next week. Maybe I should be stressing out over the fact that the real Mozart (my wife’s chihuahua) is at the vet’s office right now recovering from bladder surgery. Or should I be concerned about the fact that I think they’re going to close my office and move it all offshore?

Nope…it’s cruise planning time. I mean come on, we leave in 158 days! There are things to do, snorkel sets to buy, clothes to match up, spa treatments to book, Amaretto to sneak onboard, hotel rooms to reserve and cancel 500 times between now and then, but most importantly, there’s American Idol.

Sorry, Sanjaya’s singing right now. That's definitely a distraction.

In our next installment (I hope): How to start planning for a cruise! (Translated: Why obsessive compulsive disorder can be a good thing!)
Magic 7 Night Eastern - 11/08 - Life Stinks Season 3
Wonder 3 Night - 04/10 - Life Stinks Season 4
10th Anniversary at Victoria and Albert's

Last edited by Mozart; 10-26-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Babs417
DIS Veteran

I have almost everything ready for my cruise and look how far away my trip is
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Sue F UK
Florida keeps me poor...but happy

DH and I went to V&A for our 10 anniversary and had the most magical time, I hope you and your DW enjoy your evening there.

We'll be home and well into post cruise stress disorder by the time you go so spare us a thought won't you?

If at first you don't succeed...... then skydiving is probably not for you!
Sue F UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Interesting thought - a pre-trip report to cover the anticipation, anxieties, etc. Nice beginning. Is it just you and the IL's or did you talk even more people into going.

We've only done two 4-day cruises so far. One cruise had 20 of us and the last one had 15. Our family loves WDW and DCL. We have a 7-day booked for Sep08 but so far only with 6 of us.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
Stogrove
Mouseketeer

You're Good

Mozart, you are good, very, very good. Such a novel idea to start a TR before you even leave. I will love tracking this story. At least you only have 5 months to wait until your next voyage. I'm down to 499 days (Sept 2008). How do you try and put something like this out of your mind so you can concentrate on the real world?? Ugghhhh!!
Stogrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
Gixer
Mouseketeer

Loved reading your original trippie - so cant wait to see how this planning one works out! what a novel idea!

p.s congrats on your wedding anniversary, we ate at V & A last year and it was truely amazing, DO go for the wine pairings, delicious!
Gixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
Mozart

It's all Ashman's

Please, please, please remember that I got this idea from Ashman. If you haven't had the chance to read his TR, he started writing his months before his cruise as well. The way he discusses the anticipation, the thrill of telling his daughters about it, and their excitement not just at the cruise, but actually being able to take them on their first plane is absolutely wonderful to read.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1293772

Stogrove - Is that the Magic Double Dip on 9/1/08 you're going on? Check out my signature.

MagicMe - Only my wife's parents. We wanted her sister to go along and take the 3 year old nephew and 2 year old niece, but it doesn't look like they're going to make out. (Gotta buy a stupid new house with more room instead.) Thought about taking the kids anyway for a reason I'll explain later, but we decided to make this one adults only.

BTW - Mozart the chihuahua came through surgery fine. He's back on my wife's lap where he practically lives.

Sanjaya, however, did not make it.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
rdy2bpampered
Mouseketeer

I thought about posting a pre-trip report. I have 4 pages typed already, but I must say I haven't had the guts to do it 5 months in advance!
I was afraid everyone would be tired of me by the time the trip actually rolled around!! Since you did it tho.....makes me wonder ...

Trip Oct 06, 2007 Western Caribbean

'Done that, been there...and We'll be back!'
rdy2bpampered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
Mozart

We leave for Port Canaveral in 150 days!

When last we left our obsessive cruise veteran (well, I’ve been on 3) he was stressed out and watching Sanjaya. Now, he’s relaxed and listening to Carefree Castaway Cay. What a difference a little mood music makes, huh?

Once we get back home in February from our last cruise, the first step, of course, is to unpack. Then, I start planning for the next one. Or, maybe do a little of both at the same time. Confession time: How many people have an Excel spreadsheet or Word document with everything you need for your trip in there? As a few examples: My April 06 DW trip – 4 pages. Feb 07 Cruise – 6 pages. Apr 07 WDW – 5 pages. Sept 07 cruise – currently at 3 pages. The Sept 08 double dip already has 2 pages. . By the way, for anyone driving somewhere soon, check out www.thenextexit.com . This is one of the greatest things I’ve ever gotten my hands on. It tells you where all of the interstate exits are, and what is at each one. It’s saved me a few times when I’ve thought about driving past an exit and getting lunch another mile or two down the road, but looked at the sheet showing the exits and realized that if I skipped this one, I’d have to drive another 40 miles for somewhere to stop.

How sad is my planning? You really cannot fathom it. I haven’t started picking out the individual clothes for the cruise in September, but I already can tell you that I’ll need 3 outfits on Tuesday, 2 on Monday, etc. The only reason I haven’t picked them out yet is because I want to wait until we’re back from our April trip to start packing for September. Next week, though, I’ll start picking. The places we were staying the night before have been modified 10 times already, and I’ve got 3 reservations currently for places to stay the night we get off the ship.

No…I have no life. And remember! I’ve already had to make a major change in plans. I was working on all this as soon as we got back from our first cruise, and had half of the pieces in place, when the in-laws threw all my plans into the trashbin. Originally, we were going to stay with my brother in Orlando, but that wouldn’t really work with the in-laws around like that since he hasn’t met them since my wedding day 10 years ago. So, we decided to go over to Titusville. I looked into a few of the hotels, but it looks like we’re going to stay a few miles away at a bed and breakfast now.

And yes, I really am this bad….I’m trying to figure out where we’re going to eat lunch and dinner on the day we drive down. Should we eat breakfast here in town, or drive 100 miles down the road and eat a little later in the morning, like a brunch. I’m only planning lunch somewhere off of I-95 in Georgia 5 months before I go there. I think I need medication.

And thus the journey begins…I’m at the point right now where I’m just anxious. Remember that I’m going to WDW tomorrow. I’m actually wanting this trip to hurry up and be done so that I can get back and start really getting into the details of the cruise. (?!)

Thought for the evening...Why do I always post these during American Idol?

In our next installment: Does a dinner at Victoria and Albert’s make you forget about Palo’s for a few nights, or does it just make the desire to get back on board the ship that much worse? (I don’t know yet…but I will in about 24 hours!)

Old 05-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
ashman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
Please, please, please remember that I got this idea from Ashman. If you haven't had the chance to read his TR, he started writing his months before his cruise as well. The way he discusses the anticipation, the thrill of telling his daughters about it, and their excitement not just at the cruise, but actually being able to take them on their first plane is absolutely wonderful to read.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1293772
WOW! Thanks for the shout out! Good luck with the PTR (Pre-trip Report as given to me by another) The great thing about the really good TR's is that we stand on the shoulder who come before us! I certianly had many folks who inspired me along the way, I know you will take it to another level! I started about 60 days out. You are taking it to another level! Who knows, may be you will inspire someone to start the moment the dates come out! I Can't wait to read along!

Last edited by ashman; 05-09-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Fix the quote box
ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

Wonderful work, Mozart! Even though we’re heading for only our first cruise – I can relate with you so much. It will be fun to meet you in September!

If you have ever seen the show “Fan’s Guide to Walt Disney World” on the Travel Channel or Discovery HD – we’re the family who they followed through Disney’s Animal Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom. I’ve been teased to no end for my perceived “over-planning” which was demonstrated by my little schedules I give the kids while we’re at the parks. Truth be told, pre-planning is my therapy for the months before we actually go on a Disney trip in any of the many locations. Right now, we have our second son getting ready to go off to college, my oldest son is planning on being engaged during our “land” portion of our September trip, both my wife’s’ and my career’s are in crazy places, and all I can think about is the cruise in September!

At this point, I am a month and two days away from sharing this good news with my wife on our anniversary. I have been reading the DIS boards every day insuring that she hasn’t been looking over my shoulder. I’ve been running to the mailbox everyday so my monthly payments to All Seasons Travel will not be detected. I have to confess I have been deceitful in our early preparations. My plan is to have a nice dinner with my DW on our anniversary – and at the end, pull out my laptop with a PowerPoint presentation of photos of our honeymoon 25 years ago, which was 6 weeks as staff at a youth camp, ending in an apology that introduces a “real” honeymoon this time. I hope in that moment there’s as much excitement for her as there has been for me in the 9 months I’ve been planning this trip!

So I’m with you Mozart! And I’m ready now!!! I guess I just have to get DW up to speed!
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #12
Mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post
Wonderful work, Mozart! Even though we’re heading for only our first cruise – I can relate with you so much. It will be fun to meet you in September!
Dave - I was thinking about asking you this. Feel free to share your story in this thread of planning. Based on what you've said on the cruise meets board, I was wondering if you'd like to share a little.

And about V&A's - WOW! I'll go more into it later...but WOW!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #13
rdy2bpampered
Mouseketeer

You are not alone...

I just want you to know that.

I too am not travelling until later in the year... October, as a matter of fact. It is our first Disney cruise... our first BIG vacation. Kinda want to do it up right, ya know?

I commend you in posting a pre-trip report. I wanted to but thought everyone would get tired of me before it was all done. My mind is going a mile-a-minute over this cruise. .. I have obsessed so bad.
I have a whole memory key (2GB) dedicated to the vacation planning... do you think it's enough space? Hmmm, maybe I should get another one... I'm up a pot af trouble!

ps.. I have 5 pages written on a pretrip.. It's moving along nicely, chapters and everything! Hey, my first (only) novel to publish!...

Trip Oct 06, 2007 Western Caribbean

'Done that, been there...and We'll be back!'
rdy2bpampered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #14
TLHB70
Let me be known by the Company I keep, eclipsed by YOUR presence that I may decrease
I really like a lot of the music they play out around the park

Mozart, I see that you are in upstate SC. Where? We are in Union County NC so we are just above the line.

I am enjoying reading your TR. I will continue to follow along. I, too, am in the excited planning stages for our upcoming cruise. The days are full of reading TR, watching the DCL movies on Youtube and listening to Caribbean music.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
TLHB70
Let me be known by the Company I keep, eclipsed by YOUR presence that I may decrease
I really like a lot of the music they play out around the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post

At this point, I am a month and two days away from sharing this good news with my wife on our anniversary. I have been reading the DIS boards every day insuring that she hasn’t been looking over my shoulder. I’ve been running to the mailbox everyday so my monthly payments to All Seasons Travel will not be detected. I have to confess I have been deceitful in our early preparations. My plan is to have a nice dinner with my DW on our anniversary – and at the end, pull out my laptop with a PowerPoint presentation of photos of our honeymoon 25 years ago, which was 6 weeks as staff at a youth camp, ending in an apology that introduces a “real” honeymoon this time. I hope in that moment there’s as much excitement for her as there has been for me in the 9 months I’ve been planning this trip!

So I’m with you Mozart! And I’m ready now!!! I guess I just have to get DW up to speed!
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to read all about the surprise announcment dinner after you tell her. I would love to read about your trip, too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: