Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
lucas
°o°

Airline underseat storage measurements?

I am trying to figure out if my new carry-on will fit under the seat. (I usually fly with SWA or Delta.)

How can I find out what the measurements are for airline underseat storage?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Underseat spaces vary in size. Often at the aisle there are railings under the seats that make the space too narrow. Sometimes there are objects including electronics bolted under the seats so the storage is too flat.
Hotel scam! Someone "from the front desk" calls your room phone or knocks on the door, usually after midnight, asking for your credit card number to complete your billing or you will be kicked out. Don't give it to him. It can wait until dawn when you stop by the front desk. This includes Disney's resorts too.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
lucas
°o°

Looks like I will have to find another bag. I want a small bag with small wheels and to have it at my feet and not have to put it above. The search is on!

Any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
minster22
DIS Veteran

I like to keep my carryon bag with me also (I have my cash for tipping valet,etc in there)and have given up on the idea of having a wheeled bag. The wheeled bags always have a solid structure to them that sometimes prohibits them from going under the seats. I have a soft gym type bag (from Eddie Bauer a couple of years age) that works great. It has a long enough shoulder strap to hook onto my checked wheeled luggage once I get it from baggage and plenty of zippered storage to keep all my paperwork, cash and a very few clothing items (bathing suit etc).Although I am always on the lookout for something else this bag works really well for me.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

QVC and HSN each have some luggage that is designed to fit under the seat (it's sort of curved, is the best way to describe it), so I'd think anyplace that carries a fair amount of luggage would have something similar. Granted, even one of these bags is not guaranteed to fit under the seat in front of you, as per the excellent points seashore makes - but it'd be more likely to fit than what the OP seems to have.
Another option would be a SMALL wheeled backpack, since as with the above post it would be somewhat squishable/flexible, but it's possible even that would need to be placed overhead if the underseat area is too small.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
hannah03
Mouseketeer

Here's a dumb question from someone who's never flown. We are flying on Southwest and if it doesn't go under your seat, where does it go? I bought a 5 piece luggage set and 2 of them are carry ons, one tote style bag and the other is a wheeled boxy style (which meets size requirements for it).

First trip 6/30-7/6/2007 *off-site*

hannah03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
QVC and HSN each have some luggage that is designed to fit under the seat (it's sort of curved, is the best way to describe it), so I'd think anyplace that carries a fair amount of luggage would have something similar. Granted, even one of these bags is not guaranteed to fit under the seat in front of you, as per the excellent points seashore makes - but it'd be more likely to fit than what the OP seems to have.
Another option would be a SMALL wheeled backpack, since as with the above post it would be somewhat squishable/flexible, but it's possible even that would need to be placed overhead if the underseat area is too small.
I never mentioned the measurements. Here they are: my new Eddie Bauer bag is 15.5 x 14 x 7.5, and it too is curved.

But, it is not squishable so I think I will return it to Target and keep looking for something smaller, squishable and that has small wheels.

The search is on!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:48 AM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah03 View Post
Here's a dumb question from someone who's never flown. We are flying on Southwest and if it doesn't go under your seat, where does it go? I bought a 5 piece luggage set and 2 of them are carry ons, one tote style bag and the other is a wheeled boxy style (which meets size requirements for it).
It would go in the overhead compartment. A smaller tote bag sized bag will fit underneath the seat, while the larger, wheeled bags go above you.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
xnascar2x
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah03 View Post

Keep in mind that you don't have to put it under the seat if you don't want to. You can just place both bags in the overhead storage compartment provided there is still room when you board the plane.
All Star Movies 08/07
Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern 9/03
Disney Magic 3 Night Cruise 9/99
Polynesian Resort 9/99
xnascar2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnascar2x View Post
Keep in mind that you don't have to put it under the seat if you don't want to. You can just place both bags in the overhead storage compartment provided there is still room when you board the plane.

Absolutely true. However, you will find that most airlines will tell you, via their particular websites, that you are allowed one personal item, which will fit underneath the seat and one larger bag that will go in the overhead. I know that on my last few flights, there has been little spare room in the overhead bins. Seems that everyone tries to avoid checking their bags, so everyone in each party brings the largest allowable bag for overhead storage, as well as a larger than expected personal item. It always amazes me to see what people will bring on the plane with them.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

9 x 14 x 22 inches is a common (but not universal) maximum size guideline for carry on baggage. That includes wheels, latches, handles, etc. It is as if the item must fit (or be squeezable) into a rectangular hole with those dimensions or the flight crew reserves the right to take it from you to become checked baggage.
Hotel scam! Someone "from the front desk" calls your room phone or knocks on the door, usually after midnight, asking for your credit card number to complete your billing or you will be kicked out. Don't give it to him. It can wait until dawn when you stop by the front desk. This includes Disney's resorts too.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Delaware Mike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
9 x 14 x 22 inches is a common (but not universal) maximum size guideline for carry on baggage. That includes wheels, latches, handles, etc. It is as if the item must fit (or be squeezable) into a rectangular hole with those dimensions or the flight crew reserves the right to take it from you to become checked baggage.
I agree dimensions aren't universal (and your measurements and mine are pretty much identical), and in order to be absolutely certain how a particular carrier treats carry-on their "Contract of Carriage" should be consulted. The document is generally available on the carrier's website.

Here's what I generally go by for carry-on. I've not had one taken from me to be checked, unless my flight is on one of the regional tin cans...
  • Carry-on limited to one piece, plus a personal item such as a purse, briefcase, laptop case, small backpack, diaper bag, et cetera.
  • The personal item can't exceed 36" in overall size (H x W x D).
  • The other bag can't exceed:
    Overhead: 10 x 16 x 24 inches
    Underseat: 8 x 16 x 21 inches
  • Both items can't exceed a total of 40 pounds.
  • And of course, the airline carry-on allowance may be restricted further due to space limitations, or because they said so....

I hope this helps.
Delaware Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Very few carryons fit under the seat anymore. Even my knapsack does not fit with my laptop, a change of clothes, and essentials like medicines.

This is why there is such a rush to get on the plane these days. The precious overhead space goes fast. There is not enough room for a carryon for each person in the overheads. And many people walk on with 2 or 3 things and put them ALL in the overhead bin. Or they place them in the first bin with room and continue walking to the back of the plane, leaving the remaining people in front to go hunting for space.

Another thing: check what aircraft you are on. If you are on a small jet like a Canadair Regionjet then the typical carryon won't fit anywhere and you will have to "gate check" it. Make sure your carryon has a luggage tag so they can match it to you in case they send it to luggage claim later, and make sure you put valuables and medicines in a soft small bag that actually can go on these small jets. I once surrendered a bag at gate claim and they could not find it for 30 minutes. We almost had to continue to our connecting flight without it... and they would have no idea where to send the bag becuase it has no routing tag at that point. Very bad situation if your carryon with your medicine and cameras gets left at the airport and they search for it for a couple days before finding it and sending it to you.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #14
DianeL
DIS Veteran

Hi Lucas!

I was wondering if you ever succeeded in finding a rolling bag small enough to fit under the seat. It's been something i've been in search of too and have always fell back on my tried and true old Eddie Bauer duffel. But I keep looking and hoping. In January I have to back all my running needs (back ups in case it's hot or cold) and thankfully all the clothes are typically light weight and compact for packing but all of it in my small bag weighs my shoulders down on the walk to the gate at home and then out to baggage pick up in Orlando.

Please please share if you found a rolling small bag that you had luck with.

funny thing... i had typed into google the questions of what size is under seat storage and up comes a DIS board thread LOL I'm finding lately that this happens. I have a question and up comes a DIS thread that is related LOL I guess all I need to know can be found on the DIS

Thanks Lucas !!!!

Finished:
2006, 2007, 2009 WDW Half Marathon DL 2006 Inaugural 1/2 Marathon 2007 ToT 13K 2008 Marathon &5k 2008 Minnie 5K & 15K 2008 DL Half - Coast to Coast Challenge 2008 WDW Expedition Everest Challenge 2009 Princess Half GOOFY2010

DianeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

I use a rolling backpack as my carryon - it fits under the seat and has compartments to help me keep somewhat organized.

Mine is a LL Bean rolling backpack - this one in black:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...p&feat=5180-tn

TJ

tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: