Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #31
pooh2007
Mouseketeer

My husband and I are riding a motorcycle from Amarillo TX to WDW in July. We are going to ride approx. 500 miles per day. Just want to take our time and relax and take lots of breaks because it sure will be hot!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #32
smidgy
dimples

why drive?

It is just the 2 of us. we have flown twice, in sept. for free dining. wotherwise we drive beccause even tho we buy the dining plan sometimes for a few days (split stay at 2 dif. resorts) we still need our cooler with pop, beer, lunchmeat, cheese, mac salad, coleslaw, etc. and our bags with paper plates, bread, condiments, donuts, snacks etc. (and don't forget DH Nebo's manhattan mix!)
we try to go twice a year, so we do cut corners somewhere
this may!! 3 nights at hard rock, 4 at CBR with dining, 6 at CS!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #33
pixistix
Mouseketeer

We're driving too~

Driving down June 22 from PA. (straight thru!) Will leave at 3 a.m. and expect to arrive in Disney at 9 to 10 p.m. Took us 18 hours from Philadelphia airport when our flight was cancelled in 2004 after hurricane Charlie damaged the terminal at MCO. That was an unplanned driving trip but we had a great time. Now we're driving to save money. Plus, DH and I love car trips!
Not sure when South of the Border became shady. We stopped there in 2004 and 2005 (during the day) and it was tacky but cute.

Follow me on Twitter @MyDisDiva
July 2001-POR~May 2004-Disneymoon POFQ~August 2004-WL~August 2006 - Coronado Springs~June 2007 -Pop Century~Dec. 2007 - AKL~August 2008 French Quarter.May 2009 - Beach Club;August 2010 - Wilderness Lodge ~2-year-old granddaughter's first visit and our daughter's wedding at Paradise Cove;December 2011 - POR; Nov 2012 POFQ
pixistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #34
DreAnna Clayton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizab609 View Post
Driving to Disney World from New Jersey. We are leaving April 9(37 more days). Is anybody else planning a drive? And what are your favorite tips? I'm going with my 6yr old son and my two bestfriends.

When you drive down, indeed you will find cheap gas in Ga on I-95. The Cheapest place will be in Kingsland/St. Marys. Take Ga-Hiway 40 exit (#6 I think it is) and there are several good places to get gas and food.
If you drive about 1 mile east of I-95 you can get gas at the Wal-Mart which will be even cheaper (if you have a Wal-Mart gift card with value on it).

There is also a Sam's at the second Pooler Exit (Savannah/Hilton Head Internation Airport) when you first get into Georgia. If you are a Sam's member, they have very cheap gas. Bring your Sam's card.

If you are driving I-95 to I-4: do NOT drive through Orlando. Take the 417 toll road and go around. It will cost you $5.00 to take the road, but, the traffic is light and you only have to stop at the toll boths. You pick up the 417 at Sanford and take exit 6 on the other side. This road becomes World Ceter/Epcot Center drive. Stay straight to get to MK resorts. You can then get on Buena Vista Blvd and get to the EPCOT Resorts. Take exit 3 to get to the Osceola and the AK resorts.

We leave between 2 and 4 am to miss the traffic in Jax and Orlando the best we can.
DreAnna Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #35
kate2961
Mouseketeer

We're driving in June too!

We like having the car available for side trips outside WDW. It also helps to have a place for all the souvenirs.

We like to stop overnight in Florence, SC both ways. It's the half-way point for us. There is a Holiday Inn Express there that is nice and it includes breakfast.

Having a new, never-before-seen DVD is key for us. It keeps our DS amused for the trip. We bring one for the return trip too.

We checked out restaurants and gas stations before we left via the Drive I-95 website which lists all the stops. From there I checked out gas prices before I left and found the stations with the best prices.

We took the Auto Train once and liked it very much, but it is too expensive for us to do it every time.

I've never stopped at South of the Border, but it is a great sight for tired eyes when it's all lit up at night.

GoofTroop3 = Me, DH and DS(6)
kate2961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #36
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizab609 View Post
Driving to Disney World from New Jersey. We are leaving April 9(37 more days). Is anybody else planning a drive? And what are your favorite tips? I'm going with my 6yr old son and my two bestfriends.

We drove last year from Sicklerville NJ (outside of Philly). My tip is to calculate your trip so that you miss rush hour around the Washington/baltimore beltway. Don't get stuck in that. After we got past there the trip was very smooth, mid way into Virginia 95 opens up and the speed limit goes up to 70mph. We made it all the way to the Georgia/Florida border. Stopped and spent the night at a motel. very nice drive.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #37
muse_ginny
Earning My Ears

My parents and my boyfriend and I are driving down next week from Raleigh, NC. We figured it'd be cheaper than the 4 of us flying (esp. since BF & I are broke college kids). Plus we'll have a car if we want to split up, stay in the parks later, etc.

I think we're planning on leaving at about 3am-4am in the morning so there's not as much traffic. It's about a 11-12 hour trip, we're planning to switch off on driving, and we'd like to get there in time for dinner.

BF and I are bringing a portable DVD player and some old disney movies to get us pumped on the way down!
muse_ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #38
cdhheidi
DIS Veteran

We are driving from Idaho

in just over a month! My son has medical issues requiring lots of medical equipment (mainly for at night, but also uses a wheelchair as he tires easily) and flying is a pain in the neck. Not to mention pricey as we have to pay $100 per leg of flight for the oxygen... takes 2-3 legs each way plus another $200 for O2 in the airport if we have a flight that lands in Denver.

Since we homeschool, we figured that we would use the drive back to follow the Oregon Trail and make this an educational trip as well. What a great way to see this beautiful country of ours... we tend to drive as much as possible when we travel (have 3 different hospitals we have to go to for my son's medical issues), just try to avoid winter due to the nasty weather.

My kids love books or stories on CD, so I always stock up on LOTS of them. They keep me alert as well. I also collect travel games for them to play that are ONLY used in the car, as well as the portable DVD/game dual console. Since we stay in several hotels along the way, I try to pack smaller bags with a day or twos worth of clothing for all, so I can minimize the amount of stuff having to be carried in and out of the hotels. (we have enough with the medical gear to make 2-3 trips easily!).

34 days till we leave... and counting!

cdhheidi
cdhheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #39
is_it_oct_yet?
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestmooner View Post
We just drove down in January from NH. We left at 2:30pm on a Friday and arrived at WDW at 7pm Saturday night (with some down time in Daytona for dinner and fun)
DVD players are a life saver for the kids!!! We also stop at all the state welcome centers in NC, SC, GA and FLA-just a nice safe break!! We take a photo of the kids in front of the state sign at welcome centers-nice to see the changes year to year!!!
Be really careful when you are coming into Orlando-we have seen and almost been a part of some nasty accidents there-due to crazy stupid drivers!!!
We also like Cracker Barrels-clean restrooms and the food is always good and affordable!!!
Drive careful and have a great trip!!!
i am really excited to stop at all the state borders and take photos of my kids for the their scrapbooks!! i want to do something about the trip to disney, but it looks like we will have to do it on the way home since we are leaving at night also!!

Oct 7-12 2007 POFQ
Jan 1999 Offsite
1989 Offsite
is_it_oct_yet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #40
dizneedrmr
Mouseketeer

I haven't looked through all of the posts, but thought I would mention something we ran into on our drive from NC. We drove all through the night and got to Orlando around 5:30-6:00am ish -- just in time for the morning rush hour there! Time it so you're not on I-4 for the morning rush, too, because that wasn't much fun. We were so close, but so far away!

dizneedrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #41
Conan the Librarian
Been Visting the Mouse since 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneedrmr View Post
I haven't looked through all of the posts, but thought I would mention something we ran into on our drive from NC. We drove all through the night and got to Orlando around 5:30-6:00am ish -- just in time for the morning rush hour there! Time it so you're not on I-4 for the morning rush, too, because that wasn't much fun. We were so close, but so far away!

Do NOT go down I-4 through Orlando....it is Allways rush hour in Orlando.

Take the 417 toll road from Sanford to exit 6 and then on to EPCOT international. Much less traffic and worth the $5.00 in tolls.

Geek the Library! I Geek Astronomy!

s his

Before 2010 too many trips to count starting in 1972

2010 Feb (off site), May SSR, Oct HHI.
2011 May SSR, Oct HHI
2012 Feb (off site), May SSR
2013 Feb OKW, May SSR, Dec Ft. W
2014 Feb off site, May SSR, Dec SSR

2004 POR-Pop Century(May),POR (Oct), Ft Wilderness(Dec) 2005 HH(Jan), way off site(Feb), POR-Polynesian(May), Carribbean Beach(Oct), POP (Nov for Three Dog Night), Ft Wilderness (Dec)

2006 HHI (Jan) Daytrip (Feb), BCV (Apr/May) HHI (Nov) Ft Wilderness (Dec)2007 HHI (Jan) Daytrip (Feb), BCV (Apr/May) HHI (Nov) Ft Wilderness (Dec)

2008 HHI (Jan), Daytrip (Feb), SS (May), BV? (Oct)
2009 POP(Feb)WLV (Mar), SSR(May), SSR(Sept), FtW (Dec), HHI?(Dec)
Conan the Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #42
postalcop
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixistix View Post
Driving down June 22 from PA. (straight thru!) Will leave at 3 a.m. and expect to arrive in Disney at 9 to 10 p.m. Took us 18 hours from Philadelphia airport when our flight was cancelled in 2004 after hurricane Charlie damaged the terminal at MCO. That was an unplanned driving trip but we had a great time. Now we're driving to save money. Plus, DH and I love car trips!
Not sure when South of the Border became shady. We stopped there in 2004 and 2005 (during the day) and it was tacky but cute.
hey pixistix--- we'll be leavig about the same time on 6-22, but won't be driving straight through. we will stop i savannah! drive safe!!! we drove straight through once, we just can't do it any more!!!
~sue
postalcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:18 AM   #43
pixistix
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalcop View Post
hey pixistix--- we'll be leavig about the same time on 6-22, but won't be driving straight through. we will stop i savannah! drive safe!!! we drove straight through once, we just can't do it any more!!!
~sue

Maybe we should put LGMH's in our car windows and if we pass each other on I95 we'll know!

Follow me on Twitter @MyDisDiva
July 2001-POR~May 2004-Disneymoon POFQ~August 2004-WL~August 2006 - Coronado Springs~June 2007 -Pop Century~Dec. 2007 - AKL~August 2008 French Quarter.May 2009 - Beach Club;August 2010 - Wilderness Lodge ~2-year-old granddaughter's first visit and our daughter's wedding at Paradise Cove;December 2011 - POR; Nov 2012 POFQ
pixistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:26 AM   #44
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

South of the Border isn't shady IMHO. We stop there everytime just to peek in the stores. They have some interesting things there. My son thinks its a requirement to stop, another part to our vacation.

We drove straight through from NC in September, arriving in Orlando at 1am. There was NO traffic on I-4, so it definitely depends on the time of day.

Marsha
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #45
shawn68
Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas, we call walking.

Talking

We drive from Houston Texas, stopping off in Jacksonville to sleep. It's a long trip, but so much fun. Me and my wife play stupid little games to pass the time.....Well, and she likes to sleep too...Thats not so much fun for me I guess.
shawn68 is offline   Reply With Quote