Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #16
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

The priest in our old church had a great perspective on the no meat on Friday thing. He said that if giving up meat wasn't a big deal for you and you substituted a lobster dinner for a hamburger, it isn't really a sacrifice. He urged people to give up something or do something on Fridays during Lent that was hard for them to give up/do. If you drink 6 cans of pop every day, give THAT up on Friday's. If you like to snack through out the day, give that up instead. It is a LOT harder to do that then it is to give up meat and that is really what it is all about.

As for the chicken broth, if you are in doubt, don't eat it. You aren't going to go to hell if you have some Ramen noodles on Friday during Lent but in the spirit of the above example, since you consider that your 'normal' lunch, find something else to eat that isn't as enjoyable for you.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #17
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I do have to say that the sacrifice is part of the "giving up meat". It really isn't in the list of ingredients.

I would find something else to eat for lunch if you want to stick with the spirit of Lent.
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #18
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

my mom's potato pancake on Friday flashbacks...........
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #19
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

I think it's ok. I used to go to church when I was a kid, and at the end of every prayer they used to say "Ramen"
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #20
slo
Hmmm…What to poll…What to poll
I am a Tonga Toast junkie
Eek, a spider! Eek, falling!

Location: Indiana - Somewhere between Lake Michigan and Indianapolis

That's so funny that you asked that question, because I asked that same question to myself yesterday

I made a receipe that includes beef broth last night, and I didn't even think about it until I was pouring it into the reciepe. Then after it was poured, I thought, "Oh my goodness, can we eat this?" Then I thought, "we aren't eating meat, and I don't think God will condemn us because we had beef broth on Friday during Lent" So we ate it

Me and my favorite little chef!!!!!

Sandy - A proud member of The TAGLIARCHY, Chicago DISers, & Fire Dept Wives
slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #21
r3ngels
I am a bit odd! But in a cute way
Wants a piece of "Mickey Cake"
...for I am "The Keeper!"
Doesn't look good in uniforms

I had french onion soup... for a second I thought about it but we out to eat and wasn't gonna send it back... heck I sacrificed I had soup and a GARDEN salad... while others had big ol' cheeseburger... the good kind not the McD's kind.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #22
almburr
DIS Veteran

I think I spend more $$ during Lent on seafood.

Growing up we would buy shrimp from the Schwan man and that was not cheap, still isn't, $27 a box.

For us Seafood is a treat, beef is a staple here.

I like what one of the posters said about one of thier priests, give up something that is a treat for you.

I never thought of that.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #23
MAKmom
*Caution* thinks all posters are female
Nothing is impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago526 View Post
My usuall Friday lunch treat is sushi and a cup of instant Ramen chicken flavored noodles. Obviously the sushi is fish, no problem there. The ramen soup is just noodels and chicken broth, does that count as meat, since the broth is made from chickens, or am I okay because there isn't any actual chicken meat in it?
Yes it is meat...please stop eating this product it is full of MSG & has no nutritional value. MSG scares me.

MAKmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:48 AM   #24
VirtuallyMe
I had a snail named, Ralph

I have a similar question and was wanting to hear how other Catholics treat it...

Recently- I'd say with in the last 5-10 years the growing concensus is that whatever you give up during lent (not just the meatless Friday thing) you can have on Sundays...

Now I always used to laugh at this but the last few years the local Priests have even reinforced this idea.

Is this a standard around the country or is it just South Louisiana getting a free ride on Sundays? I know growing up it was an all or nothing thing but my kids all have the idea that they can take a break on Sunday- and my youngest dd who is a candy addict it really excited that tomorrow is Sunday lol
Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #25
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

You could probably eat a McDonald hamburger too -- there's no meat there. LOL

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #26
fabshelly
DIS Veteran

How funny, I had to put away the ramyun yesterday at snack time and make seaweed soup, with anchovy powder instead of beef broth, yesterday. The kids liked it but didn't love it. I tossed in sweet corn and an egg, and topped it with dried squid.
fabshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #27
Fitswimmer

WWJT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuallyMe View Post
I have a similar question and was wanting to hear how other Catholics treat it...

Recently- I'd say with in the last 5-10 years the growing concensus is that whatever you give up during lent (not just the meatless Friday thing) you can have on Sundays...

Now I always used to laugh at this but the last few years the local Priests have even reinforced this idea.

Is this a standard around the country or is it just South Louisiana getting a free ride on Sundays? I know growing up it was an all or nothing thing but my kids all have the idea that they can take a break on Sunday- and my youngest dd who is a candy addict it really excited that tomorrow is Sunday lol
Our Pastor explained that last week. Sunday is the day that we celebrate the Resurrection of Christ, so we don't fast or abstain on that day. That goes back to the verses in the Gospel where Jesus says the guests don't fast when the Bridegroom is present. So, on Sunday Christ is present within us in the Eucharist, so therefore-no fast.

Works for me-I've got my Hershey Kissables ready to go for tomorrow!!! And I can watch TV ALL day after Mass!!!
Fitswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #28
ZuZugal
DIS Veteran
There are many reasons to come to the dark side....

This might sound simple but don't they make shrimp flavored ramen noodles? I've never had them but if they have pork/chicken/beef wouldn't they have shrimp as well?

Ten oughta do it, don't you think?
You think we need one more?
You think we need one more.
All right, we'll get one more.

This is our daughter Dottie...and this is our other daughter, Dottie's sister.
ZuZugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #29
elizke
Has feelings for her Crockpot!

Hmm.... I made cheeese cauliflower soup last night and didn't even think about the boullion I used in it. Just plain forgot.

I forget at least 4 or 5 times on Fridays every Lent. It's just a tradition and a spiritual reminder thing, which obviously doesn't always work with me.
elizke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #30
hornedfrog
Mouseketeer

I'm a vegetarian, but yeah, chicken broth is meat! I use vegetable broth boullion cubes, substitute vegetable broth for meat-based broth in recipes and if I really need 'chicken broth' (like for homemade 'chicken noodle soup'), I use the Organic No-Chicken Broth made by Imagine...its readily available at a lot of chain grocery stores. Its in a box, not a can.

For the ramen-lovers...the Top Ramen Oriental is vegetarian (used to contain beef extract, though, so I check the labels to make sure I have the newer version). Also the Nissin Cup Noodles Vegetarian Vegetable is okay, but more difficult to find. I have also found several other options at higher-end/specialty grocery stores. I have found several options at Chinese supermarkets, too.

Of course, ramen noodles are really high in sodium and fat, nearly always contain partially-hydrogenated oils and are high in MSG...so even the vegetarian ones are pretty unhealthy. But I like them for a treat from time-to-time!
hornedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: