Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #256
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Yay, GaCat is back!!!

So sorry that night went bad for you, sounds very stressful. Hope things pick up for you.....
Old 12-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #257
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

I sure hope you get some more pixie dust in the future of this trip report. It happens to us all. You plan and plan and then the plan goes out the window.

Glad you are back to write some more. Can't wait to here more good or bad. I am sure there has to be WDW memories made this trip the kids will remember for a long time. They won't remember a missed parade or Wishes.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #258
kpk89
I know that you know that I kn...well, you get the pic
What is a po-tro-ast?
mumbling and looking at floor

Aw, kitty I'm sorry that was a rough night. I sympathize about the lack of food options at OKW. Being on free dining you sort of want a lot of choices close by, and there aren't many there!

Glad to see you back --
Old 12-29-2006, 09:55 AM   #259
AshClan
I forgot to say SNAP!
We'll coordinate our Woo Hooties!
Yes, he is a mutant. But a cute one

I have been remiss.........

Yes, I was WAY behind. But, thanks to my generous employer, who gives me all kinds of free time (yeah, right!!), I am now caught up!!!

Amy, m'dear, I am LOVING this report. Your witty recollections, those a-dor-a-freakin-ble children of yours, the awesome pics, EVERYTHING about it. And you mentioned that you didn't really feel you captured the angst of this first night, but I get it, and (unfortunately) know it all too well. All the planning and excitement, being "the expert", and messing up. When you think about it, though, you were all together, you got to the resort at the same time as your mom, your kids got to see the castle with their grandmother, and Boost got his food. And, at this point, anyway, everyone is still healthy (I know....foreboding....shame on me)!

And about the Shrimp and his Pluto encounter....I just read another Pluto story the other night. Was it in NM's report? Or LaLa's? At the Garden Grill? Methinks the Pluto training program may have to emphasize "reading your audience" to the enthusiastic Pluto CMs!! Oh, and I love your "big head" term for the costumed characters! It so captures the logic behind the Shrimpster's fears.

Keep it comin'! I can't wait for the rest!!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:55 PM   #260
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

Amy - Almost but not quite caught up.

Wanted to wish you a Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #261
javamom
Rumored Avatar Fairy
Wooo hoooty it's been fun!

Location: Probably pouring over a park map, planning someone else's trip for them!

Amy, I did something similar re fireworks at MK. It'll be in my TR, later. Suffice to say, I shall be verifying if there was a time change, or if I just benembered it wrong.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #262
NAB

Just turning the page

--
Old 01-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #263
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

Thanks everyone ~
I am, once again, feeling as if I have abandoned my baby here. BUT, with the holidays and the inevitably sick children, I am AGAIN terribly behind and work.

Strangely, I feel the need to actually catch up with that before going on with this never-ending saga.

So.

I will be back. Soon(ish).

Happy New Year everyone!
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE
Old 01-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #264
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

Is the Commando Cured?

Well, as previously stated, the late night before made me believe that making it to MGM for park opening was unlikely. But I still wanted to try. I guess that answers the question posed in the title of this chapter.

There were several factors at play:
1. We were all tired and cranky from the fiasco of the night before.
2. Half of the participants were, on top of that, having to adjust to a 3 hour time change.
3. Boost. Who doesn't show up ANYWHERE on time. Unless food is involved.

Well. Food was NOT involved in our (okay MY) early morning appointment at MGM. What was involved was CROWD AVOIDANCE.

I was up and at ‘em bright and early. That is, sometime before 6:30 a.m. Me and the Shrimp, as usual. I made both coffees (regular for Boost, decaf for me, Grammy could have whichever she wished.) I made chocolate milk for the Shrimp. Actually, I had probably combat loaded a cup the night before. That's what I usually do.

That patio came in really handy all week. Whoever got up early went out there and soaked in the atmosphere. I was up several times that week before the ducks.

In any case, the morning routine was shot. Everyone but NeatKid was up and moving in plenty of time. But. Never underestimate the amount of time that a teenager can spend sleeping. I had forgotten. We finally shook her awake and asked her if she wanted to come with us or meet us there.

She experienced a moment of separation anxiety, I think, and decided to get herself moving.

I had clothes picked out for the kids (those handy ziploc bags!), but the Princess wanted to be a Princess. I don't remember what she picked at first, but I talked her into Belle, because of the live stage show there. I thought it was most appropriate.

And.

It was properly hemmed.

So, we got her dressed, and I pulled her hair up:

Apparently the OLDER princess, aka NeatKid, decided to get dressed up, too. Sundress and stacked flipflops.

I decided that it would be terribly unkind to take a picture of your own relative's shows and send them to badshoe. So I didn't. (Or did I?) But I was sorely tempted.

We finally loaded up and made it to the front gates around 9:45. Not too bad, all things considered.

Coming in the gates, either Grammy or NeatKid had a problem with their ticket. I don't remember which one. Then I commandeered their tickets. For to get fastpasses.

We headed directly for Playhouse Disney. And just missed the entrance to the next show. Insead, we encountered (gasp!) A LINE. I ignored my previously read tips from a certain tourguide, and didn't just go to see the Little Mermaid and forget the possibility of sitting right up front for Playhouse Disney. That was mistake #1. I got fastpasses, though. That was mistake #2.

We waited in the HOT line. But, remember, the Princess is DRESSED. So she got a LOT of comments. Which she enjoyed. A lot. And then we came across some cast members and the kids got to trade pins. Which they enjoyed.

We made it into the show, NoFear had a really good time. The Shrimp sat in my lap and quivered. Because it got dark. Here he is before the lights went down:

After leaving the Playhouse, we headed across the courtyard to Mermaid, and, instead of walking right in (with the rest of the people), we went to the Fastpass entrance. And were stopped. Since our Fastpasses had expired. (Oh yeah, THAT'S why I wasn't supposed to do that. Yes, indeed, this is one of the FEW places that they DON'T just take expired fastpasses.) Instead of just directing us into the MOVING LINE, we were shunted to the side to get us into "the next show."
Instead of taking the initiative and just going with the line, we waited. That was mistake #3 and the strikeout.

We DID NOT make it into the next show, but were let first into the holding room for the show AFTER that. It was (timewise) a costly mistake.

I was chagrined.

The Shrimp was quite frightened in the show. He sat in my lap and quivered.

Afterwards, it was already time for lunch. Grammy let NoFear pick out any princess hat she wanted. I gave the group directions to the ABC commissary. I went to get fastpasses for RNR, just in case, and made it to the commissary before them.

I've got to say, while the pickings at MGM for good counter service are reputedly slim, I quite enjoyed my meal here. I got the Asian noodle thing. It was yummy. Even NoFear enjoyed it:

Lunch took a while, too. Especially once you factored in the bathroom shuffle and the smoking pit stop.

I sort of figured out at this point that EVERYTHING was going to take a while on this trip. And also figured out that I needed to let me stress go. And just enjoy it.

I would need to remind myself of this many times throughout the trip. Because it is really hard to let go of Commando instincts. Especially when they are so intrinsic in my personality.

Next Episode: Ohhh, that Pixie Dust will make you dizzy! (Page 18, Post 265)

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 01-12-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #265
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

Ohhh, that Pixie Dust will make you dizzy!

During lunch, given the heat of the day, I thought I had NoFear convinced that she should change out of her dress into shorts. She was all for it, until she heard that we were going to see Belle at the Beauty and the Beast show. She thought we were going to get a personal interview, a la all the other princesses she had seen up to this point. I couldn't make her understand the difference between the personal meetings and seeing a show. She refused to change. I wasn't going to make it into a battle.

After finishing lunch around 12:30, I knew that I wanted to see the 2:00 showing of Beauty. We had a LITTLE bit of time to kill. So we headed to Muppetvision. I grabbed Fastpasses to Star Tours on the way. Or tried to. Had problems (like at the entrance that morning.) It was obvious to me that at least one of the tickets had been demagnitized. A very nice attendant at Star Tours gave me a Fastpass Pass that was only good for that day to get fastpasses for the ticket that didn't work. Which was wonderful. Crisis (and need to go to the front of the park) averted.

We headed on. And somewhere in this mix, we saw JoJo and Goliath, and then the Little Einsteins.

This was some really good interaction, especially because of the princess dress. Everyone wanted to dance with NoFear - and make her twirl.

A hug for Goliath:

NoFear is all about giving hugs to the characters, I try to "help" by making comments to get even more interaction. At some point while she was with JoJo I said something about Goliath hiding most of the time, so he did! This is NoFear pointing out that Goliath is hiding behind the plant.

They were a lot of fun!

We then moved on to the Little Einsteins.

During all of this the Shrimp was calling out and waving, but otherwise quivering with fear.

We walked through the Streets of America and eventually made it to Al's Toy Barn and ran into Woody and the Green Army men. I like how the Green Army men circulate. And they need to figure out how to make it so you're not standing in the frickin' (NOF) sun to see Woody. Just sayin.

This is the Shrimp after he noticed that the Green Army Man was right behind him:

This is one of my favorites - NoFear had just blown Woody a kiss - he was clasping the kiss to his breast and lamenting the fact that his princess was walking away.

We eventually left, here is a picture of NeatKid and Grammy walking away. And yes, the Green Army man was watching them (well, the niece) in a rather creepy way. She's only 14 after all!

After that, we made it into the Muppets, but missed the preshow.

Now, the muppets are some of my all-time favorites. I was more of the "Muppet Show" generation than the "Wide World of Disney." Although I remember Sunday nights with Disney, I was young. Muppets, however, are strong memories.

Our family ALWAYS watched the Muppet Show. As it turns out, that was probably Grammy's influence over the television station. She CACKLED the whole way through the show, and declared it just as good as when it was on TV.

We walked through the shop afterwards, and NeatKid had reached a critical point in having spent half a day on vacation and not yet buying ANYTHING. She saw something in a window display that she wanted, and a search was on. Of course, the muppet item displayed in the window display at the muppet shop was not actually carried by that shop. Hmmpf.

We headed on to Beauty and the Beast. When we got to the entrance, I sent the rest of them inside with instructions to find a seat, and I went to park the stroller and get some frozen lemonades.

Have I mentioned yet that it was REALLY HOT?

As it turns out, I had forgotten to mention to my party to get seats towards the FRONT. I found them in the last 5 rows. You know, where the sun threatens to shine on you. I got four frozen lemonades. They were gratefully received.

We sat and waited for the show to begin. And ate. The Shrimp liked the show, and no quivering was seen. NoFear was fascinated. Grammy took her tennis shoes off.

Now, class, what do we know about taking our shoes off when it's hot and you've been walking all day? (Bonus points to those of you asking why she wasn't just wearing Crocs.)

Needless to say, this caused a slight delay at the end of the show. Because, while the ENTIRE THEATER was streaming by, we couldn't even take advantage of the fact that we should have been one of the FIRST groups out of there, and snagging prime real estate for the parade. We were putting shoes back on.

We missed out on the prime real estate for the parade, but ended up close. Of course, that's like going for a beach vacation and ending up in a 3rd row house. You're really CLOSE to the good spots, but you have to make some effort to get there, and while you can sort of see the ocean, you mostly can't.

Well, our almost prime real estate was, therefore, in a sunny spot instead of a shady one. But there was some shade close behind. So I told Boost, Grammy and NeatKid to take the kids to the shady area and I would hold our spots at the sunny area (by rolling the double stroller up to the line and then sitting beside it) until parade time. Boost tried to be chivalrous. I shooed him away.

Let me tell you, saving that tapeside seat was totally worth it.

This is where the magic happened for us this day.

Because the princess was STILL in her dress.

And it was duly noted. By almost EVERYONE that passed.

And I have the WHOLE THING on video.

I have Snow White calling out that she loved her dress.

I have Stitch pointed directly at her and then giving her a thumb's up.

I have Burt (and Poppins) waving directly at her.

I could go on and on.

EVERY face character, and a lot of big heads made sure that we knew that they were directing personal attention at us, and then said or did something just for her.

She felt so very special. It was everything I could have dreamed for from a parade. It still brings tears to my eyes. We watch the video fairly often.

After the parade, we still had a little time before our early supper at 50s Prime Time. We went to ride Star Tours (and do the baby swap.) I like the baby swap a lot better here than most places, because you get to stay together through the whole line, and there is not a lot of time wasted walking back and forth to the entrance/exit. I wish Soarin' would do it this way. There's room in the holding bay for someone to stand there through one flight, then pass the baby and wait on the other side. Much more efficient.

Anyway, we survived our journey into space and then took the obligatory Light Speeder pictures.

We still had time afterwards to go catch a glimpse of the cars. (Thank goodness that our pictures have numbers, or I would never have remembered the proper order of things.) As has been stated by others, it was, in general, a massive onslaught to the cars, there is no organization, and it is hard to get close to take any pics, so we just got them as they rolled by:

My favorite picture of "Likening ah-queen" KaChow!

And met some Monsters:

And, while ignoring my rear end, please notice that this MIGHT be where NoFear learned how to hug those characters!

At that point it was time to head to the 50s for some supper. MMMM baby!

Next Episode: Chugga Chugga Choo Choo! (Page 18, Post 266)

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 01-12-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #266
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

Chugga Chugga Choo Choo!

We had a 4:35 p.m. reservation at the Prime Time.

Call it lunner. Or dunch. Whatever.

Now, up to this point we had not yet done the following that I wanted to do: RNR or TOT (me and someone adventurous. Probably just me. Alone.) the Great Movie Ride (not the Shrimp) just to see Grammy cackle at the alien. Indy show, because my Mom LOVES Indy. And Walt Disney: One Man's Dream and the drawing studio afterward. And taking pictures in front of the Narnia backdrop. Yup. That's pretty much it. Okay, so it's a lot.

I didn't think we would be staying for Fantasmic anyway (after the previous evening), so thought we could squeeze in the GMR and One Man's Dream and the Narnia pictures before we left after supper. Everything else would just not get done.

Plans ALWAYS change.

After leaving the Cars crush behind, we wandered slowly to PrimeTime. About 3 doors down is a shop that NeatKid wanted to look in, so we left her and Grammy behind, and went to check in. We were a few minutes early for our 4:35 reservation.

But, when we told them we were there, we were asked if we were REALLY all there. I said that two of us were in the neighboring shop. I was told to fetch the two of us to be seated. So I did.

But when we got back, Boost and the kids had disappeared. INTO THIN AIR. And, when you're at Disney, you can't just walk through the restaurant and scan for people. We eventually met up. Finally. After some stressful moments. I think I even asked a server who said that they had NOT been seated.

Liar.

Okay, that might be a little harsh. In any case, we started perusing the menu. I knew what I wanted. Fried cheese.

Is there anything better than fried cheese?

It is soooooo good.

But, then, two other people decided they wanted fried cheese, including Boost.

And I just can't stand for EVERYONE to order the same appetizer.

So I didn't. I ordered shrimp instead.

How many mistakes am I up to on this day? It was a lot. Too many.

Especially the one about the fried cheese.

Because, as it turns out, he wouldn't share.

NeatKid also ordered cheese, but she was seated a little bit far away from me.

At some point just after the cheese, the time change, the fact that she hadn't had enough water that day, and the stress of being a teenager caught up to NeatKid and she started feeling ill.

Not just headachey ill either. Really ill. Icky ill.

And she stopped eating. (After she had finished her cheese, tfi. I couldn't even steal it from her.)

She decided to go outside to get some air. A few minutes later she came back to report that she had, well, zzubed in the flower bed outside.

Poor thing. (I then wondered if I should tell a CM so that they could clean it up. I was a mass of anxiety about the right thing to do.)

I should mention Aunt Jennifer. Who served us. Who was perfectly playful at all the right times. I asked if Dad caught the shrimp over at Epcot. She would NOT give me a straight answer. (Dad didn't, tfi, Epcot doesn't actually produce enough shrimp to supply all the restaurants with appetizers. If I was not such an idiot I would have thought about that fact.)

Anyway. Aunt Jennifer. She brought our entrees. She threatened us about eating veggies or not getting dessert. Yada yada. Grammy just didn't understand the heights of humiliation that they are willing to heap on people.

Because when she stopped back and Grammy still had lots of stuff on her plate, Aunt Jennifer decided to get her to eat more. But the way she did it . . .

After NeatKid told Aunt Jen that she had thrown up outside (and the look of horror that crossed her face, immediately followed by the "Did anyone see you?" comment, which I thought was priceless), she moved on to Grammy's still rather full plate. We had an empty chair, so Aunt Jen sat herself down. I'm sure that Grammy thought she was going to be expressing some sympathy for NeatKid. Instead, Aunt Jen asked Grammy "Are you done with this?" indicating her plate.

Now, Grammy used to wait tables (many many many moons ago), and thought Aunt Jen was going to be clearing.

Grammy answered "yes."

"Ohhh-kay" says Auntie Jen. And then picks up Grammy's fork and starts dishing up a bite. She starts chanting "Chugga chugga, choooo, chooo!!!" and starts feeding Grammy a couple of bites.

Grammy, being the obedient child that she has always been, opened her mouth, while blushing.

My 60 year old mother can still blush.

Bright red.

It was sooooooooo funny.

I was cackling.

Because I had known what was coming. And I had already hid my meatloaf (about which I had received a previous warning), under my mashed potatoes.

And no one ratted me out.

And Aunt Jennifer didn't notice.

Ha!

(Oh, and, at some point, NoFear had fallen asleep at the table, having played hard and not getting a nap that day.)

Anyway. The train was the highlight of the dinner. Grammy still talks about the humiliation.

But, with NeatKid and her illin' we knew that we were leaving directly after supper. So I looked around the room at my "cousins" and picked a likely set. I then went over to them and gave them my fastpasses for RNR, and explained that even though they were expired, that the attendants would still take them.

We jetted out of there. With NoFear's pizza (she fell asleep before it got to the table) and NeatKid's entree and dessert packed up. So that it could linger in the fridge at the villa for the rest of the week.

We stopped by the front to get the ticket thing taken care of. Grammy was told that she needed to keep her ticket AWAY from the room key and cell phones so that she wouldn't de-magnitize again. (Actually, they reissued both of their tickets just to be on the safe side.) The wonderful CM there noticed our matching "Incredibles" shirts, and gave us all Grand Gathering buttons with the Incredibles on them. My kids still fish them out and wear them sometimes.

We went back "home." The Shrimp probably fell asleep in the car. I know that when we got back I ended up taking NoFear to the pool to master the waterslide. She won the Gold Medal in the Waterslide event for the JUNIOR Olympics. Just ask Zzub. Everyone else stayed behind and rested. We returned eventually and EVERYONE was settling down for the night by 8 p.m.

(Unfortunately, NeatKid was sick ALL NIGHT, and threw up two more times.)

Will the Shirt Make all the Difference? Page 19 Post 278

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 02-16-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #267
NAB

Your on a roll Amy.

Love the dress. Isn't it great how they make the little princesses feel so good. I think that is why mine wouldn't take her dress off either when it was so hot out.

DD was totally scared of the characters when she was two almost three. Would wave at a distance but no pictures.

I love the 50's Primetime. Pretty funny with your mom. Sorry about the sick one and the sleepy ones.

You plan but something always changes believe me I know that one.

--

Last edited by NAB; 01-12-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #268
UtahMama
Wakey, wakey, Eggs and Bakey

Diet Cherry PEPSI Queen
I speak toddler
What in the Sam Hill is going on around here?

YOU ROCK!~!!~!~!!

I LOVED the last three chapters all at once! It's a "THREEfer"!

I SOOO relate with your commando ways! The Beauty and the Beast SHOES-incident would have made me crazy!!!

I just wanted to know if you had the yummy S'Mores for dessert at 50's for dunch??? Hot marshmallows are PERFECT for your tummy on a HOT HUMID day!

Love YA! (and miss you lots!!!!)
Old 01-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #269
javamom
Rumored Avatar Fairy
Wooo hoooty it's been fun!

Location: Probably pouring over a park map, planning someone else's trip for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAristocat View Post
Apparently the OLDER princess, aka NeatKid, decided to get dressed up, too. Sundress and stacked flipflops.

I decided that it would be terribly unkind to take a picture of your own relative's shows and send them to badshoe. So I didn't. (Or did I?) But I was sorely tempted.
ROFL!!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #270
Minnie_Moo
Moos-keteer
We decided to do it up right at the World
We can make OUR OWN RULES for the week!

So sorry to hear about NeatKid getting sick, Amy.

When I got sick during my New Year's trip I didn't decorate any bushes at WDW, but my friend did -- next to one of the parking lots at POP. And it wasn't due to partying . . .

Thanks for all the new installments! Love your pics.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: