Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
NewEnglandDisney
Just My Opinion. Your mileage may vary.

The Big Nintendo Support Group - Disney Edition

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Shopping is done and now it's time to get to...PLAYING! We had such a good time in the last thread that a couple of posters suggested we start anew Christmas morning to help those getting their DS Lites and Wii's out of the boxes. I'm sure that's going to bring lots of questions and such, so now is as good a time as any to move from the "where do I find/what do I need" to "how the heck do I use this thing" LOL.

I'm going to start listing some info I've already posted before below, and will be checking in throughout the next few days to help anyone who's lost. If I don't reply immediately, feel free to PM me - it gets fwd'd to my email so I will respond more quickly.

Happy Gaming!

NED

PS - Don't forget to be trying out these games yourselves as well! I've had everyone from 5-75 trying out the NDS Lite and Wii this season, and no one has gone away without having at least a little bit of fun!

Last edited by NewEnglandDisney; 01-18-2007 at 01:16 AM.
NewEnglandDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
NewEnglandDisney

Q&A

Q: How do I get online with my DS or my Wii?

A: You have several options - a Wi-Fi (wireless) Router, using the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, or using the Nintendo USB Wired LAN Adapter (Wii only, coming Jan 07).

Please note that all solutions require a broadband Internet Connection (Cable modem, DSL, etc.), though some people have had limited success using dial-up with the Wi-Fi USB Connector (for info on that you'd have to check the Nintendo forums, though, as I hear it is rather tricky.)

Wireless Router
If you have a wireless router, you should simply be able to follow Nintendo's simple set-up directions and connect to your router wirelessly with either your NDS or your Wii.

Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector is available from Nintendo's online store or from many stores that carry Nintendo accessories. It runs about $40, and is not to be confused with the forthcoming USB LAN Adapter. The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector is inserted into an open USB port on your broadband-connected PC, and acts as a wireless conduit between your NDS or your Wii. It is simple to set up (comes with an installation CD) in many cases, but it does not work with certain firewalls (namely Zone Alarm). In order to use the Wi-Fi USB Connector under those conditions, you would need to disable the firewall when you need to use the connection.

USB Wired LAN Adapter
(Wii only)
The USB Wired LAN Adapter will be available in early January, 2007. You can currently preorder it from Nintendo's online store for $25. It is unknown at this time if it will be available in stores, though it presumably will. This adapter plugs into the USB port on your Wii, and provides a standard Ethernet jack for wired Internet routers. You simply run the wire from the adapter to your router. (Note : There is an unoffically supported model out there right now that fan sites have reported as working - I have one myself - but I don't want to post it here because who knows if it will suddenly stop being supported. If you'd like more info, please feel free to PM me.)

Q: Do I need to buy one of those expensive ($50-100) Nintendo memory cards that say "Wii" on them for my Wii?

A: No!

The Wii accepts standard SD cards (SecureDigital) that you can buy at any electronics or discount store, and in fact you may already have one in your digital camera or camera phone. It even will accept Mini-SD and Micro-SD cards provided you use an SD adapter (usually these cards come with one).

The only difference between the Nintendo branded ones and the other brands is the sticker on the front that says "Wii". Nintendo says that the Wii will work with SD cards up to 2GB in size, although some people have had luck getting 4GB cards to work. If you already have a 4GB card feel free to try it out and see if it works with your Wii, but if you buy one specifically for use on your Wii do not get one larger than 2GB.

Q: What do I do if my Wii Remotes start acting wonky or they don't sync properly? How do I add remotes?

A: If your Wii ever gets confused, or you have issues, open up the SD card panel on the front of your Wii and press the red button for FIFTEEN SECONDS. This will clear all remotes from memory, and then you can add each remote individually again.

To add remotes (or to add the remotes back in after you've cleared the remotes from memory), press the red button on your Wii, and then press the red button on your Wii Remote. Once they sync, the process can be repeated (pressing the button on the Wii in between pressing each of the red buttons on the remotes). You do not hold these buttons in, you simply press them once each time.

Last edited by NewEnglandDisney; 12-25-2006 at 07:16 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
NewEnglandDisney

Interesting Tidbits

* When your Wii Console is powered down, if you pick up one of the Wii Remotes and press any button other than the power button, the LED lights on the bottom of the remote will glow and indicate how much battery power you have left in that remote. If all four are lit, then you have almost a full charge. If only three are lit, you have somewhere around 75%, two lit, 50%, etc.

* Although the Wii manual says rechargeable batteries are not recommended, Nintendo's customer service has recently begun telling people that nickel metal hydride (NiMH) rechargeable batteries are okay to use. As this is a one-time investment, I recommend buying the "Engergizer Rechargables" that are now on the market, which are NiMH. A 4-pack of batteries with a charger will run $12-15, and extra 4-packs of batteries are around $10. Warning : Don't buy the "15-minute charger" versions, which are usually more expensive to boot. They wear out the batteries much faster, and really aren't good for long-term use (rechargeable batteries don't last forever, eventually they will refuse to hold a charge).

LINKS

GameFAQs - Cheat, hint, and game walk-through site. Invaluable - has data on almost every game.

Official Nintendo Store

Wii Portal - Awesome site that you bookmark on your Wii that leads to tons of Wii Specific sites - and it's updated all the time! Tons of free games, neat apps, etc.

WiiCade - If you have the Internet Channel on your Wii, you MUST bookmark this site! (Note : WiiPortal, the link above, also contains a link to WiiCade) It contains Flash games that you can play for FREE over your wii. Just direct your Wii Opera Browser to wiicade.com and start playing, you don't download anything or save any data. You just point and play! People are getting really innovative, and it's amazing since the Wii is so new. More are being added all the time, it's incredible![

Last edited by NewEnglandDisney; 12-31-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
Mellie2162
It means that a friend is watching you
I smell my husband all the time

Do new remotes need to be programmed? We opened a new one and put the batteries in and cant get it to work. I pushed that little red reset button next to the batteries and all the lights on the front lit up but then it wouldnt do anything else.
Mellie2162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:00 AM   #5
NewEnglandDisney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie2162 View Post
Do new remotes need to be programmed? We opened a new one and put the batteries in and cant get it to work. I pushed that little red reset button next to the batteries and all the lights on the front lit up but then it wouldnt do anything else.
If you look on the front panel, next to where you insert the disc, there is a small panel you can flip open. This is the SD card slot. However, there is also a red button in there as well.

To sync additional remotes, press the red button on the console first, THEN the red button on the remote.

Once the remote has been associated with your Wii, you will be all set. If your Wii ever gets confused, or you have issues, open up the panel on the front of your Wii again and press the red button for FIFTEEN SECONDS. This will clear all remotes from memory, and you can do each one from scratch. Just hit the button on the console, then the button on the remote, and after it connects do the same for each of the remaining remotes.

I've been experimenting with it, and I didn't realize that when you sync the remotes it doesn't assign a permanent number. So, if your Wii is off, whatever remote you pick up first and turn it on with becomes Remote #1, regardless of when you sync'd it. So you sync them to the console, not to a position number.

Good luck!

NED
Old 12-25-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
Mellie2162
It means that a friend is watching you
I smell my husband all the time

Aha! Thanks I will try this as soon as I can pull DS away from the Wii..which may be a task all in itself.
Mellie2162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Help!!!!

HELP!!! Our Wii is not powering up- we have done all the onsite trouble shooting tips about resetting the ac adapter-but still no power!! It turned on initially then shut down. And we can't get it back up!!!!! we are having Chrismas disappointment. HELP PLEASE!
java is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
NewEnglandDisney

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
HELP!!! Our Wii is not powering up- we have done all the onsite trouble shooting tips about resetting the ac adapter-but still no power!! It turnedHow on initially then shut down. And we can't get it back up!!!!! we are having Chrismas disappointment. HELP PLEASE!
How are you turning it on? Using the remote or the console?

NED
Old 12-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
java
I'm the mean wife

Console and we also tried remote one time
Old 12-25-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
NewEnglandDisney

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Console and we also tried remote one time
Hmmm...so the LED on the ON button turns green, then back to yellow?

Are you waiting for the blue lights to stay on in the disc drive? They only briefly flash when you turn it on, and only stays on if you have recieved a new, unread internet message. During normal use the only indicator that the Wii is on is the small LED light on the on button itself.

NED
Old 12-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
java
I'm the mean wife

No- we have NO power at all- nothing is lighting up- no little light on the power button- no blue from the disc area- nothing. I am stumped and dying to play Zelda! If we can't solve it back to eb games tomorrow to hopefully find the problem.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
NewEnglandDisney

Hmmm...sounds like you might have gotten a bad power supply. That's disapointing! I wish I could help more, but if no power is getting there (and I assume you've tried other outlets/etc.) I don't think there is a terrible lot that can be done.

My advice is, though, if you do need to return it tomorrow, get there as early as possible. They likely held a couple of units back to replace defectives, but I doubt they will have many. I'd be there when they open, if at all possible.

So sorry you are having troubles! I promise Zelda is worth the wait, though! Tonight you can pour through the instruction book and practice securely attaching the wrist-strap, though, so when you get it home tomorrow you can be ready to go.

Thinking happy thoughts for you!

NED
Old 12-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #13
NewEnglandDisney

Just updated a few notes above!

NED
Old 12-26-2006, 12:28 AM   #14
musicdude
Mouseketeer

If EB games doesn't have a replacement, I have seen on other boards of people contacting Nintendo and that they have shipped out a replacement unit right away. That sure would beat getting a refund and waiting for a new shipment. What a major bummer not being able to play wii today! We had so much fun, I bought Madden 07 for DS, it was his favorite game on PS2, He played it once and then went back to the sports disc. We played so much my shoulder is sore. I just need to learn to switch hands and get a little upper body work out!
musicdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:52 AM   #15
NewEnglandDisney

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdude View Post
If EB games doesn't have a replacement, I have seen on other boards of people contacting Nintendo and that they have shipped out a replacement unit right away.
Yes, that is what I would do as well.

I'd definately try EB Games first, because walking out of the store with one would be the easiest option, but if not Nintendo is pretty good at replacement. If you want it really fast, if you let them put a hold on your CC for the price of a Wii they will immediately ship you out a new one instead of them waiting for yours to arrive there first. They send you a new Wii and I believe a box to ship your defective one in, and when it arrives at Nintendo they take the hold off of your card.

Hopefully EB Games will have one for you though - how disapointing!

NED

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: