Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2006, 05:09 AM   #16
JunieJay

SSDN
I feel very connected to my strong Italian
Alan Rickman is at the top of the list

Glad to read the update Marsha, its so important to have a team of optimistic and hopeful medical people.

As for why people give you their worst case scenario, I couldn't tell you. I'm an optimistic person by nature - my glass is half full. I believe in my heart that Tommy can beat this, and I am going to keep believing that. And as your friend, I am going to keep telling you that as often and as much as possible. There is NO reason why he can't be the exception.

my friend. Big one for Tom too.
JunieJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #17
pjb_hockey_mom
Reminds me of a bad attempt at an Etch a Sketch drawing

Hugs all around tonight everyone!

I have found that most people like to share their stories and experiences in hopes that we find them comforting. Some just do it more (ahem) tactfully than others.

One thing I have picked up in my conversations with others is how a healthy, positive attitude can really make a difference in either their or their loved ones recovery and battle.
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2006, 07:35 PM   #18
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Even worse than the people who say negative things, are the people who avoid you during critical illnesses and such. I understand some people suffer denial and feel their own mortality when confronted with issues of sickness and death, but it is so disheartening to feel that people either avoid you or just totally disappear.

I am here for you Marsha, and you know I already consider Tommy a miracle! He is a fighter and is putting out all efforts to beat this disease. Hugs and keep the faith....
Old 11-17-2006, 09:16 PM   #19
JennyMominRI
Live from Red Sox Nation
We may get lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC
Even worse than the people who say negative things, are the people who avoid you during critical illnesses and such. I understand some people suffer denial and feel their own mortality when confronted with issues of sickness and death, but it is so disheartening to feel that people either avoid you or just totally disappear.

Word

People never talk about *my illness* That's what my mother calls it..She doesn't say the word..Every. I don't think I've ever heard her say it in 15 years. They probably figure it would upset me.
Ormaybe they think if they don't talk about it it's not real.
JennyMominRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #20
Tinks
I had the hots for my accounting teacher and eventually married him!

Sometimes people just don't have the right words to say and I think they just want to say something , anything to somehow relate to you and show they care. It just doesn't always come out right.

Prayers for you and your family. The road is tough sometimes, but we can all stick together.

Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:43 PM   #21
JandJ
If I close my mind in fear . . . Please pry it open
I had a very productive day ... yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC
This is SO true! When my mom passed last year I lost touch with so many family members and friends. They sent condolence cards and then dropped off the face of the earth. Most didn't even come to the memorial mass. Mom's best friend still keeps in touch with me, but now that daddy has terminal cancer, it's like everyone in the family thinks we have the plague or something and just avoids us. It's disheartening but makes me cling to DH, daddy, my brother, sister, and her kids all the more. Good luck to you and yours

All that I am or ever hope to be I owe to my angel Mother (1940 - 2005) Daddy's little girl (1933 - 2008)

Egypt, Mexico, Belize, Honduras, 7 Caribbean islands, England, France, Italy, Holland, Belgium, 12 states, DC - check! Where to next??
JandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #22
Shugardrawers
Ovarian Cancer Survivor!
I need to bust a royal wee!
Having a torrid affair with the
I like my pickles whole

Marsha how's your Dh today? Did your insurance cover the meds?
Old 11-18-2006, 05:09 PM   #23
Mackey Mouse
Me read the Navigator? I don't think so

tsk, tsk said in my best Bahsten accent

Tommy made Flubber

DISboards Moderator

Both Jen's...here's a big hug!!!!!!.....I know how hard it is when people just back away from you. My daughters and I, I have 3 daughters, have decided it is us....the 5 of us, and whoever happens along and gives us support, we will take that as a blessing.... As far as family is concerned, I am sad to say...although DH has brothers, I have a brother, cousins, nephews, nieces, it is us 5 that will weather the storm together. This is the weird part, it is strangers, that become friends, neighbors, these are the people that reach out when the family backs away....and Disers, I cannot tell you how kind my Dis friends and acquaintainces have been to me....

Two posted here today, hugs Carol and Judy....they are there for me when I need a shoulder...

Shugar...they did cover the Tarceva.....but they made us pay a $40 co pay for the 30 pills....according to the pharmacy the prescription costs $3300 for 30 pills. Horrifying. Now the bills are flying in here from the insurance company and from the hospital and I put them in a pile and let them battle it out until I know what the final figure is...

*Sigh* He is tired but in good spirits...PMA.. I keep telling him PMA...I have PMA too...

Hugs to all of us.

Co-Moderator Restaurant Boards
Moderator, Coping and Compassion Board

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
Mackey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #24
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Prayers ...

And *HUGS* for you. Stay positive and just keep positive people in your life, no one negative that will bring you down. We are all here to listen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: