Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

Western Magic 10/21/06 - 10/28/06 Trip Updated 6/21 Chapter 17: the final chapter!

Hi all! So we are just back from the 10/21 magic, and this is the beginning of our trip report. This is the first time I have done one of these, and don't think it's possible to be nearly as funny as many of the ones I have read...but either way I'll give you what I got, take it or leave it! I promise if you are not satisfied I will refund the full amount of admission.

A couple of side notes as I get going...

I have to give acknowledgement to other writers of trip reports. One that I particularly enjoy is Sleepydog25. His trip report can be found here:

Sleepydog25's trip report

Just to acknowledge now, in case I forget later, I will make use of various terms that have been coined by other writers. For example: Shub (not quite a shower, and not quite a tub).

I give credit to Grumpdude for Shub. When I read his trip report and came accross this term I almost ruined my keyboard with the soda that I spit out. Here is alink to his trip report, I highly recommend this one as well:

Grumpydude's Trip Report

To Grumpydude, Sleepydog25 and anyone else whom I may steal anything from, please don't take offense to my use of your terms, take it as a compliment. I will try my best to give credit when credit is due...but from my perspective, anyone who writes a trip report is my hero because I spent hours (and I really mean hours) reading them, and using them for tips for my cruise.
But I digress.

The Beginning...

To begin this adventure we need to go back in time almost exactly two years ago. At that time we had just moved to New England and before we moved we planned a Disney Cruise on the Magic with our former neighbors (Don't worry, this will all make sense shortly ). We had a blast. Sorry, no trip report. Either that section didn't exist, or more likely I didn't know there was such a thing as trip reports.

Fast forward to last May (2006). We had put our house on the market with every intention on relocating to Raleigh, NC. In May, DW and DN (Disney Neighbor ) were talking and came up with a grand plan to go on the Disney Cruise in October.

We thought this quite fitting given that the last time we moved we went on DCL with our former neighbors. Can anyone think of a better tradition???

And so we hatcher our evil scheme : we would plan the trip and not tell our children (ours: DS7, DS3 (he turned 4 in July) Theirs: DS9 and DD6). Our thinking was that we would have moved (it was May, our house had been on the market for 2 months...we figured by mid summer we would be in Raleigh), and that this would be a chance for the kids to see each other again (DS7 and DS9 are the best of friends).

So we picked a date. The last time we cruised we went two years ago during the worst hurricane season ever, and somehow managed to squeak between several hurricanes to get a good Cruise in. Being the risk takers we are, we figured we would try it again, shooting for 10/21. There was also that little thing called school to worry about

We kicked around who to book with, but finally just went directly through Disney. We tried a couple other places, but the prices were the same, so we figured why switch? (more on that later).

So let me tell you now that Deanna is about the best planner when it comes to Disney things. Add to that the fact that we had already done this whole shooting match once, and you get the picture. This was not one of those vacations where you book it and forget it until you get on the boat...nope, this was 5 months of planning, scheming, preparing and dieting.

oh yeah...about this time I decided it would be nice to not have all that extra weight to carry around with me. So the husband side of the neighbor family (Mike) and I decided to put together a contest. we would weigh in once a week and the winner each month would have a dinner cooked by the other neighbors (whatever the winner wanted). I actually did pretty well, dropped 20 pounds by the time of the cruise...needless to say I won the first month and someone decided he didn't want to play that game anymore...harumph!

So finally everything was set. Our DN's were going down a few days early to hit Disney, we were flying down on Friday afternoon. We decided to go to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (yes, we were one of the reasons it sold out!) before we got on the boat.

Note: A lesson learned from the first cruise. After our first cruise we thought it would be cool to stay on property and hit DisneyWorld for a couple days. Quite possibly the biggest mistake of our lives...and waste of money. it was hot, we were all tired, it was packed, and we didn't spend much time there. I don't remember which resort we stayed at, but the pool kind of stunk (it was cold), and generally that just wasn't good. I highly recommend you NOT go to Disney after a 7 day cruise...just get home!

The rest of the planning I won't bore you with, some may make it into the trip report as I go along.

Next up: Last minute preparations and the big fat white lie

Last edited by DisneyZell; 06-21-2007 at 02:38 PM.
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
abbs25
Mouseketeer

Great start

I can't wait to read the rest of the report!
August 1983:Off site, August 1990:Grand Floridian, December 1994-January 1995:All Star Sports, May-August 1998:Disney College Program, June 2000:Disneyland Paris, August 2001:Polynesian & Disney Wonder Cruise, December 2002-January 2003:All Star Sports, August 2003:Coronado Springs, May 2004:Animal Kingdom Lodge, December 2006: Boardwalk Villas & Wilderness Lodge, December 2007: Port Orleans French Quarter & Grand Floridian, December 2009: Caribbean Beach Resort; September/October 2010: All Star Movies, Saratoga Springs, & All Star Sports; February/March 2011: Contemporary Resort & Port Orleans Riverside; December 2011: Wildnerness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, & Disney Dream; October 2012: Disneyland
abbs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Babs417
DIS Veteran

Dont stop
Old 10-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
luckyeddie777
Earning My Ears

great so far...

more please.... i like to read some more
luckyeddie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
DiaLady
Ready for another vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyZell
Note: A lesson learned from the first cruise. After our first cruise we thought it would be cool to stay on property and hit DisneyWorld for a couple days. Quite possibly the biggest mistake of our lives...and waste of money. it was hot, we were all tired, it was packed, and we didn't spend much time there. I don't remember which resort we stayed at, but the pool kind of stunk (it was cold), and generally that just wasn't good. I highly recommend you NOT go to Disney after a 7 day cruise...just get home!
Great Tip! We tried something similar after our last cruise and stayed over two days. It wasn't hot or crowded, but we were so ready to be home. I was ready to have a routine again. On our next cruise, we're going to go to FL 3 or 4 days early and then go on the cruise to relax and recover . . .LOL
1/2007 - 7 day Western on the Magic
8/2008 - 15 day Eastbound Repo Cruise on the Magic
9/2010 - 14 day Transatlantic REPO Cruise on the Magic
2/2014 - 7 Day Western on the New Fantasy
Next Cruise . . . 10/2014 - 4 Day on New Dream!!
DiaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
grumpydude
Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyZell
Just to acknowledge now, in case I forget later, I will make use of various terms that have been coined by other writers. For example: Shub (not quite a shower, and not quite a tub). Please don't take offense to my use of your terms, take it as a compliment. I will try my best to give credit when credit is due...but from my perspective, anyone who writes a trip report is my hero because I spent hours (and I really mean hours) reading them, and using them for tips for my cruise.
I used Shub in my report...I actually took that from one of the comedians on our cruise...so it is fair game.

I too have been following Sleepy's and I cannot believe he was able to sit down in the shub. Heck I had to get out and turn around just to wash my back in that thing. Let alone taking a "water conservation shower" as I have read on other TRs.

Now you are my hero as I can read your TR.

GD
grumpydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:16 AM   #7
DisneyZell

Props where props are due

Sorry about that Grumpdude, it was you...and here is the other thing that I will steal from you:

"Mr. KIA advises he must now use the bathroom. Off we go in search of one. How convenient, there is one right outside the entrance. He enters the stall and I hang out over by the sink. Then, from inside the stall, there is this tremendous WHOOSH. The air pressure in the room drops by like 20 mm of Hg. What the…Mr. KIA are you still in there? My question is answered as Mr. KIA come busting out of the stall with eyes as big as dinner plates. “Dad, what is up with that toilet?” Now remember, none of had ever been on a cruise and had experienced cruise plumbing. So off we both go back into the stall to experiment. WHOOSH, WHOOSH, WHOOSH, WHOOSH. How cool is this. I swear Mr. KIA to secrecy about the Super Suck-O-Matic Cruise toilet. "

Super Suck-O-Matic. if ever there was a perfect description, that is it. Note that I added a link to your trip report as an edit to my first entry...I couldn't remember where I saw Shub, so didn't give you credit, but I have very much enjoyed your stories as well!!

Thanks so much!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #8
DisneyZell

Last minute preparations and the big fat white lie

If you started reading this before today note that I changed a few things in my original installment...including what the next chapter would be. If I skipped the last week before our vacation you might miss some vital facts...and we can't have that!!!

As we approached the end of September we had a major shift in the home life. I accepted another job, put in my notice, recieved a counter offer and ultimately stayed with my company. However as a part of this we decided to cancel the move to Raleigh (yes, 7 months later our house was still on the market. Talk about annoying!!). So our original thought of doing a Disney Cruise every time we move was out the window.

I mentioned earlier this whole trip was a surprise to my kids. One thing that threw a wrench into that plan (and yes, we made it from May without spilling the beans directly. I can't tell you how many times we did spill the beans, luckily they were a bit clueless and never figured out. Also, DS4 had not idea, and we could even talk with him there and he would have no idea!).

DS7 played pee wee football for the first time this year. Unfortunately we had planned the trip prior to getting him involved in football (remember that we were going to move to Raleigh, and we had planned on doing Football there, but it never crossed our minds that football would still be going on at the end of October). We wanted him to know this was his last game, so we hatched another diabolical plan (I just love this icon by the way). We decided we would tell him a big fat white lie so he would know that we would not be home for his last game...so that he would play his hardest the game before.

He has always wanted to go to Washington DC, so this became the focus of our lie. after the fact it was pointed out to us that DC could just as easily be Disney Cruise (we never actually said Washington DC, only that we were going to DC). So maybe we didn't lie???

Anyway, he was very excited about that, played in his last game and was none the wiser.

Do any of you recall the flurry of activity the week before 10/21 around shipping water to the cruise? I was one of the causes of that. After reading about ordering from Staples and having them ship for free I figured I'd give it a try. Apparently a ton of other folks did as well. In addition to the water we ordered some snacks (read that: candy) for the boat.

While everyone else got notified toward the end of that week that they could not ship the water, we were not notified and we held out hope that we might have water waiting for us on the boat. I'd tell you what happened, but you are just going to have to wait for the first day before I'll tell you if the water arrived or not!!!

The rest of the week was spent on last minute preparations, door signs, packing, last minute trips to Wal-Mart for that thing in the bathroom that keeps the place from stinking (literally last minute, as in we picked up DS4 from his school, stopped by Wal-Mart, picked up DS7, and then went to the airport), boarding the dog, etc., etc.

Next up: From Manchester, NH to Orlando WITHOUT our DVD players!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
grumpydude
Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups

Quote:
I give credit to Grumpdude for Shub. When I read his trip report and came accross this term I almost ruined my keyboard with the soda that I spit out. Here is alink to his trip report, I highly recommend this one as well:
That is why you mus'nt libate during reading of the trip reports. BTW, thanks for the plug.

Quote:
Super Suck-O-Matic
Now that is just plain funny. I am just finishing remodeling our bathroom and I put a new toilet in about 2 weeks ago with a pressure tank. Sounds very similiar all though you do not feel the breeze like on the cruise. I have named the new one I just put in; Super Suck-O-Matic Junior. LOP really can't wait to move now because every time someone flushes...I just laugh and laugh at her.

Do you fly the Southwest jaunt from Manchester to Philly to Raleigh? I am on that flight about once per month (Philly to Raleigh) and I always wondered who goes on to Manchester.

Now please continue your report.

GD
grumpydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
curlybop
DIS Veteran

What a great report so far! Keep on going
Old 11-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
ldeninge
Mouseketeer

already love your TR!

Can't wait to hear all about the activities with the kiddos! thanks for sharing!
DS age 8

*** Jan 11, 2014 -- 7-nite Eastern - coming up!
*** Feb 7, 2010 -- 4-nite Bahamas --
*** Jan 2007 -- 7 nite Western -- Trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1333631
ldeninge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:14 AM   #12
tjeagle
DIS Veteran

More Please!!

2003 ~ Twins first Disney trip! Back in 2005 & 2007
Feb. 2007 DISNEY MAGIC!! Jackie's 40th birthday Sail-abration!
PROUD MEMBER~ HAPPY AND LAID BACK CRUISERS 2-3-07
DOUBLE DIPPING TRAVELING TURKEYS ~ 2008

tjeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
DisneyZell

sorry for the delay everyone, life is getting in the way of the DIS! hard to believe I know!

I'm working on a video for my son's football team, it's been about 13 hours or so over the past week. I should be done tomorrow, and then on with the trip report!!

Old 11-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #14
FatherForce
Mouseketeer

Good so far, and don't rush!
I know how hard these things are to write.

WDW 07 TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post21527693

Check out our WDW06 Trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1241106
Or our 06 Cruise :http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1254752
FatherForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
APinCA
Mouseketeer

Super Suck-O-Matic

Just when I thought I was getting my life back, I clicked on your link, and WHOOOSH - Super Suck-O-Matic pulled me in to another TR. Your report is helping with my grumpydude and fatherforce withdrawals. Keep it coming!

Thank you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: