Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #166
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

I just wanted to thank everyone who has read my little saga. And also thanks to those have responded. I read EVERYTHING that anyone posts here!

I'm sorry the next chapter is not up yet. It is finished, but on my computer at work, and I forgot to send it to myself on Thursday, so, there it sits until tomorrow. But I shall post the next chapter bright and early tomorrow.

Ash ~ you are right. It is instances like the last one I described that keep all of us coming back. I don't know of any other company, especially one as successful as Disney that takes such pains to make sure that no one leaves dissatisfied.

(Except for the Baskin-Robins. My Girl licked her ice cream scoop off the cone and onto the floor today. The owner, when he saw the tears welling in her eyes went into full-on panic, and said very loudly, almost a yell in fact, "DON'T CRY! I'LL GET YOU ANOTHER ONE!!!!" It was almost funny. Until he glared at the poor little teenager who had scooped it, and apparently not smushed it down into the cone enough. And nastily told her that it was the second time that had happened today. I bet that $2 comes out of her pay . . .Unlike Disney . . .)

Anywho ~ I appreciate everyone reading this - ALL OF YOU!!! Especially since there are so many reports out there right now. I know I can't keep up with everyone else's, so I know it is tough on you readers, too!
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 10-22-2006 at 09:03 PM. Reason: NM ~ I thought of you yesterday. ESPECIALLY when I saw the win. (Barely won, tho, which is frightening.) Hope you had a great time!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:44 AM   #167
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

How to Turn a Frown Upside Down

I confess, when Captain Jason said that he was going to take us for the fireworks, I think tears welled up in my eyes. I know I said something about how he didn't have to do that. His response: "Well, I want to do it!"

He told us to hang loose until around 8:30. So we did, and took some pictures of the kids in the mouseboat on the dock.

After all the *paying* boats left, Captain Jason came out and talked to us, asking where we were from. When we mentioned our hometown, he not only had heard of it, but had wanted to live here while he was in the military, but was stationed someplace else. Just the beginning of the "small world" coincidences that evening.

The other family, upon whom we were waiting, arrived just when they were supposed to around 8:25. The good captain introduced us and we all looked strangely at each other for a second or two.

Me, because I was uncertain about whether we were imposing on "their" cruise. Them, probably for the same reason. I quickly assured myself (silently) that Disney wouldn't put us on a boat that someone else paid for. And. That they, too, must have had some pixie dust sprinkled on their heads. With that settled in my mind . . . I began to enjoy the magic of the unexpected.

Cap'n Jason checked the ages of the two Howell children (yes, Vikings, we really DID go on a cruise with a family with the last name of Howell. And I really did make some crack about it being okay, as long as it wasn't a THREE HOUR TOUR.) It was determined that they were both above whatever magical age it was that required life jackets. He didn't debate at all whether my kids needed them. After finding on of the tiny and teensy tiny lifejackets and properly adorning my children, we loaded up and were off.

I had never done an Illuminations Cruise before, and was quite looking forward to it. Because last year, I only saw half of Illuminations. You know, the top half, that I could see over the heads of the TALL people in front of me.

To be fair, almost everyone is tall compared to me. And it's my own fault for not securing a good viewing location in time. Last year.

Anyone who has been on one of these cruises knows that before heading to Epcot, you sort of cruise around the waterways, looking at MGM (although I don't think we made it all the way over there), the Boardwalk Inn and Boardwalk entertainment area, the Swan and Dolphin, and so forth (not necessarily in that order). We discussed some Disney trivia and eventually moved on to Football.

Because, in the South on a Friday night, that is what you discuss. And we were all from the South. The Howells were from Florida. We are from Georgia. Cap'n Jason was from somewhere. Nearby.

Well, the presence of both Florida and Georgia residents on a boat naturally prompted a Gator-Bulldog debate. And a little bit of friendly smack talk. I'm just glad that the Dawgs had not yet suffered their humiliating defeat to Vandy. And dropped out of the top 25 for the first time since 2001.

Oh the shame.

But, the whole discussion also led to the discovery that Mr. Howell had gone to high school with the current head coach at Georgia. I was shocked and amazed as I work with someone who ALSO went to high school with Mr. Richt, and mentioned that fact. Which then led to the discovery that I don't know my co-worker as well as I should, since I couldn't say whether he had a younger sister (turns out he does.)

Are you singing that song yet? It really is a small world! (And they both vaguely remembered the other. Hi Howells!)

All in all, it was a pleasant half hour cruise before the fireworks.

We then settled in behind the "Breathless" to watch the fireworks. It is a beautiful boat by the way. And valued at something like a quarter of a million dollars. Unfortunately, we were also told it was about to go into rehab because it has dry rot. Someday someone needs to explain to me how a boat on water can get dry rot. It's one of those freaky things that don't make sense, but somehow are. Like soaking your feet in salt water when they are swollen and you are retaining water.

Anywho. Back to the show.

In the boat, that is! Like I said, we had settled in behind the Breathless. Which technically made us second row. But it certainly didn't feel like it. The Captain then offered to pirate and pillage one of the OTHER boats (all tied up next to us) for a drink or two. None of us accepted. Were we all feeling a titch of guilt or just gratitude for the magic that had come our way? For me, I didn't want to do anything to burst the bubble. Like get greedy for a drink from someone else's boat.

Cap'n Jason, who obviously does this a LOT, gathered the kids at the front of the boat, and told them that he needed help blowing out the torches so that the fireworks could start. He was good, he knew the music well enough to get a couple of attempts in before they managed to blow really hard and blow them out. So adorable.

And then the fireworks began . . . and the kids were ENCHANTED. ENGROSSED. ENTHRALLED.

In short, they liked them a lot. And might not have blinked the whole time.

Well, that might be a slight exaggeration. I'm sure they blinked. Once or twice. I know they both gasped, oohed, aahed, giggled, laughed, pointed, and told everyone around us "Look at the fireworks!" And the Shrimp spent most of the time at the bar (at the front of the boat, we, unfortunately, had no floating bar with us), but also visited a couple of laps.

We all enjoyed the shows, in the sky, on the water, and in the boat.

It really was wonderful.

After the fireworks ended, NoFear was a little hyper, and apparently hungry, because she ended up biting her glow necklace. Which is bad.

Her mouth was glowing a little. Which is also bad.

So we told Cap'n Jason that we would take him up on his offer of a drink, please, a bottle of water. And we told him why.

Which caused him to panic and he started running around yelling for water and a towel, and hovered over my little girl until he was certain she was alright.

Inevitably, the evening was over and we had to head back to the Marina. But, again, because of the nature of our cruise (free!) we were last in line. And Cap'n Jason took some extra time on the way back. Once we reached the relatively "open" water between the Yacht Club and the Boardwalk he let each of the kids (my kids) "drive" the boat.

How cute is this?

They were DELIGHTED. It was a great cap on the voyage.

After we tied up we asked Cap'n Jason for a picture - he tried to take a picture of US.

NO! We assured him, we wanted a picture with HIM!

After profuse thanks, hugs, and goodbyes we headed off, back to our villa and some rest.

Because we had an early morning appointment with some princesses.

I reflected that I hoped that all bad things could turn to good as they had on this day. It was a day of turning the frown upside down!

A Princess Among Princesses (Page 13, Post 184)

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 10-26-2006 at 09:49 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #168
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

What a wonderful, fabulous night. The Aristcat's are beautiful and deserved every bit of this!!!

I was when we bit our glow necklace!!! Slight panic when she was glowing in the dark. I am quite sure she will survive this, cause I personally know several other children who have survived a very similar fate, maybe even 2 or 3 times

Last edited by Grammyof2; 10-23-2006 at 08:04 AM. Reason: check me out, I was 1st
Old 10-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #169
sheridac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Cap'n Jason checked the ages of the two Howell children (yes, Vikings, we really DID go on a cruise with a family with the last name of Howell. And I really did make some crack about it being okay, as long as it wasn't a THREE HOUR cruise.)
Amy!!!!!

Hahahaha!!!! Not a THREE HOUR TOUR?!!!

Love those sweet pic's!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #170
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAristocat
(Except for the Baskin-Robins. My Girl licked her ice cream scoop off the cone and onto the floor today. The owner, when he saw the tears welling in her eyes went into full-on panic, and said very loudly, almost a yell in fact, "DON'T CRY! I'LL GET YOU ANOTHER ONE!!!!" It was almost funny. Until he glared at the poor little teenager who had scooped it, and apparently not smushed it down into the cone enough. And nastily told her that it was the second time that had happened today. I bet that $2 comes out of her pay . . .Unlike Disney . . .)
you have to feel sorry for someone like that...especially when only making min. wage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAristocat
Anywho ~ I appreciate everyone reading this - ALL OF YOU!!! Especially since there are so many reports out there right now. I know I can't keep up with everyone else's, so I know it is tough on you readers, too!
It is very hard to keep up with all the TR's and there are sooo many interesting, well written stories. A shame. We need more time in the day.

Great pics of your cruise. Did you happen to take any of the fireworks?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #171
celerystalker
Look! I'm yankeepenny!
I can't do without air!
I seriously have a Disney addiction

Oops. Umm. Great report!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #172
horsegirl
I feel blonder than a cocker spaniel!
I tell people I am 30-10-15 so they are super impressed
I got distracted by all the lovebugs on the pool bar

Location: running from the fruit stand and hiding all my nature pictures

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww! What a great little tale. I am so impressed with your skills and Capn Jason's heart. I want to write a letter to Disney myself about him over this. That is what sets Disney apart doesn't it? So many wonderful CMs who really do try to make the vacation extra special for the guests.

Folks, Amy is a wisp of a girl. She is a big tough attorney, and I bet a lethal weapon in the courtroom as her sweet little voice and small stature bear no clue to her quick and stron mind!

My biggest regret, Amy, is not having more than a few moments meeting you....I hope we have another chance to spend more time.

And btw, where is the pic of lil princess AFTER tasting the glow stick? I want to see tgat too!

Need a Smile? Snowstorm pix of a beautiful snowy day [/SIZE]
A Day at the Punkin Patch-A Celebration of a New England Fall Day
A Week by the Lake- A trip report designed to soothe and calm the reader
How to Make $3600 on Your Disney Vacation...A Trip Report

Last edited by horsegirl; 10-23-2006 at 08:50 AM. Reason: great writing, amy! i love love love this!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #173
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

Grammy ~ the good captain was FAR more worried about her becoming luminescent than we were. Does that make us bad parents? She spit the glow stuff out pretty quickly. And didn't know what all the fuss was about. Her pants were glowing, tho!

Sher ~ Carp. I fixed that. Thanks. I OBVIOUSLY have not been paying enough attention to pop culture. Or your trip report. Busted. Dang.

Blue River ~ true dat. I have subscribed to yours. Have I read it? I can't remember. Which means probably not. Perhaps this week.

Green Garnish ~ did you post the answer to the riddle or something? Thanks for stopping by!

Horsey ~ you know that I want us to have more than 30 stress filled seconds to talk. Soon. And I need to write Disney a letter about Cap'n Jason. I was waiting til I had a pho-toe to send with the letter. Which I do. Now.

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 10-23-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #174
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

AMY!! This is an unbelievable story!! I am SOOO happy for your family; no one deserves it more! Every bit of it is wonderful but this?
Quote:
Cap'n Jason, who obviously does this a LOT, gathered the kids at the front of the boat, and told them that he needed help blowing out the torches so that the fireworks could start. He was good, he knew the music well enough to get a couple of attempts in before they managed to blow really hard and blow them out. So adorable.
Yep, Horseybaby is right: that is Disney-only magic. Love Jason! Love the GA Aristocrats!!!
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #175
Yzma and Kronk
I survived the Pie-fest
I broke my spleen and yaked up a lung.....and I was driving!
Not done the "other" thing yet...

Amy - fabulous story!

I'm so happy for you. When I heard of the fireworks mixup I was so disappointed for you and had this vision of what it would have been like if I rushed my family to the docks, and then the sad walk back.

One of the best examples of Disney Magic I heard in a long time.

You might want to mention in your letter that you've told the story to your Disney lovin' friends and we want to give special "thanks" to Captain Jason too!

Isn't Illuminations great on the boat! The best I've seen. Now I know why we didn't see you on the bridge! You had already experienced it the best way possible!

Quote:
she ended up biting her glow necklace
Yup, been there! Glow Kids!

Thanks again for another great chapter!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #176
eeyore45
Do-it-yourself pixie dust = buy a bag of glitter at the mall
Pixie dusts CMs for fun
I need my nectar - Dr Pepper anyone??

Thank you Amy for sharing such a beautiful story - I was right there with you!!

oh, and I'm sure I here and there, but I agree... where's the picture? I'm sure since Cap'n had it covered getting towels and water... what else is there to do but record it for posterity - and the Senior Graduation Wall of embarrassement!!

I've never understood those Illuminations cruises, now I know!! Thanks for sharing... I think... because now I'm going to want to try one!!

Last edited by eeyore45; 10-23-2006 at 10:55 AM. Reason: just to make sure I posted!! *g
Old 10-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #177
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

I forgot to ask...when do your Mom and NeatKid arrive??????? I take it they missed this particular pixie dust.
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #178
GADISNEYGIRL
Maelstromer!
aka Marky Mark's Wife

Magic, magic, everywhere! I love it!!!

Pre-DS : Many short (offsite) trips prior to 98; Contemporary, Concierge-Honeymoon 06/98; Contemporary 08/00; Off-site 12/00; Trips with DS : All Star Movies 09/03; All Star Movies 04/04; All Star Movies 05/04; Pop Century 09/04; All Star Movies/Pop Century 12/04; All Star Movies/Boardwalk Inn 02/05; Villas at the Wilderness Lodge 07/05; Pop Century Girls' Shopping/Eating Weekend 09/05; Coronado Springs impromptu for-our-sanity trip 11/05; Grand Floridian/MVMCP One Nighter 12/05; 1 night All Star Movies, 10 nights Wilderness Lodge 01/06; PO~Riverside 02/06 With Friends!; Farewell to Jen Weekend~CSR 02/06; Girls' (and Wesley!) Weekend~ASSp 05/06; Anniversary Trip~Contemporary 05/06; Broken Arm Trip~Yacht Club 07/06; Farewell to Cindybration~09/06; Prince Wesley Returns to the World~Riverside 09-10/06; Farewell AP Trip~AKL 01/07; Reunion with a friend~ASSp 02/07; PPP No More Stress Trip~08/07 CSR
Old 10-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #179
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal
I forgot to ask...when do your Mom and NeatKid arrive??????? I take it they missed this particular pixie dust.
Can you believe that I am still on the arrival night? They arrive in the evening of the next day. And, unfortunately, their first evening was NOT so magical.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #180
LaLa
Hangs with the Mensas
Uses her boss as a coat rack while she dances
Dreams of running with the big dogs

Okay, Georgia. This is some good stuff, Girl.

We love, love, love Illuminations and the part where all the torches are blown out in unison is my favorite part. I think. I got a big smile on my face as I read about your babies trying to blow them out with the help of the Skipper.

How cool was that Captain Jason? I'm glad it all worked out for yall. Sounds like yall had a great time, and I'm glad to know the Glow Stick didn't do any permanent damage. I can't wait to read more about your adventures with your sweet babies and Mr. Big Horns.

Last edited by LaLa; 10-25-2006 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Here's a quote for ya: "A word to the wise isn't neccesary. It's the stupid people that need the advice." ...Bill Cosby

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: