Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #106
HaleyB
I am a good sister. Mostly.
I am cunfuzzled now
Wait!! You're a guy???!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemarie
Girl, I love your report! I was getting caught up and thought I had another chapter left. Then realized I was at the end. Dang.
:
Borg NM. I thought I had one left to read and, alas, find I already did. It was also great the second time through.

So I wonder which trippie I still need to get to? Drats. I hate to miss anything. Maybe it was Kimmie's. Off to check

Lost and Found with the Sillies, a Trip Report of sorts
Not so Much a Savings... a 2005 Trip Report.

Phbbbt! by steven_and_haley_bach, Hedgehog Blog!http://princesspricklepants.wordpress.com/

Recent Trips: Aug 2010 AKL/BWV; Sept 2010 Hawaii; December 2010 Disneyland; Jan 2011 Mexico Cruise with the girls; Feb 2011 GF Maelstrom Meet; Feb 2011 Anniversary trip AKL CL with 1 night Platinum Plan. May/June 2011 Family trip; GF CL Sept 2012; Bonnet Creek May 2012; YC CL Sept 2013;

[center]Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
The Silly Trip Report/Epic (2006 Trip Report) NEW again on 8/31/07 part 21!! Dude!!
[URL=http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1157739]
Old 10-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #107
AshClan
I forgot to say SNAP!
We'll coordinate our Woo Hooties!
Yes, he is a mutant. But a cute one

You are doing a great job, Amy!

I don't think I could've been quite so patient if Jay had waited that long to pack. I may have had to pack for him myself. Not that I'd know where to begin. Good thing the guys don't take as long to pack as we women do. (I know, that was a generalization. Sorry to any women who are able to pack in 10 minutes like my husband.)

I am really looking forward to seeing some pictures. Tell Boost to cough 'em up. He's met us. He knows we're not dangerous. Or does he?? Maybe meeting us wasn't the best idea..............
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #108
javamom
Rumored Avatar Fairy
Wooo hoooty it's been fun!

Location: Probably pouring over a park map, planning someone else's trip for them!

Amy, what adorable shirts! Love them!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #109
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

Lunch, and the Circle of Life

As we headed to the interstate, we voraciously consumed our Bacon, Egg and Cheese croissanwiches and slurped our orange juice. The kids argued about whose turn it was to pick the movie. I told them BOTH that it was MY turn to pick, and popped in a LONG movie, not one of the Disney sing-a-longs that only last for 45 minutes. I think I put in Toy Story, but I don't really remember. Imagine your favorite Disney movie - that'll be fine!

Here's how the kids looked that morning:

On the drive south the kids watched the movie(s), Boost drove, and I read a book. I did not feel the need to review AGAIN our itinerary, my planning information, or my black 3-ring binder. I did feel the need to obsessively check and make sure we had our tickets and TWO copies of the backs of our tickets. Just in case. They disappeared from the LAST time I checked them.

We scooted happily along. Boost asked what our plans were for the afternoon. We knew we needed to get checked in and settled and that I had a "special activity" planned for that evening which required our presence at the Yacht/Beach Club marina at 8 p.m.

We made sure to fill up our gas tank before we left Georgia (gas is cheaper, significantly, in Georgia versus Florida). Which leads to the question: How many stations these days actually have a different price for cash vs. credit? None in my home town. That is as rare as finding a full-service station so that I don't have to get my hands dirty.

Well, we found one. We needed to stop for gas and use the facilities. Boost went in to take care of the second while I was taking care of the first - we let the kids get out and stretch, and I noticed that the price on the PUMP was not the same as the price on the BIG SIGN. This peeves me the teensiest bit. I think it is unfair. Bait and Switch. Dishonest.

Or would have been if the big sign didn't have in little letters "cash price."

Thankfully, I had only pumped $1.13 worth of gas. And, apparently, the facilities were disgusting. So we ditched that place and drove across the street to a station that had the SAME price on their big sign AND on their pumps and no "cash price" disclaimer. Then we went to McDonald's for the facilities. And to buy a Sprite. So that I didn't feel guilty about using the facilities.

We decided, however, that since it was not even noon yet, and since the thought of eating McDonald's made us uncomfortable, that lunch could wait a little while. We waited at least another 45 minutes. And then, as we were getting ready to turn to the Arby's, what do I see? A Bob Evans restaurant.

I just started laughing and couldn't stop. Boost thought that something had possessed me. I pointed to the sign and he whipped across three lanes of traffic to get there.

We decided that we could sacrifice the time for a sit-down meal to satisfy his life-long dream of eating at a Bob Evans.

(I did not remind him that we were on our way to DISNEY and that we had the DINING PLAN. Who am I to mess with his life-long dream? Do you think he will be as considerate when I break it to him that MY life-long dream is to own DVC????)

So, there we were, eating at Bob Evans. He got the sausage sandwich, since he seemed to think that sausage was required at Bob Evans. I even ordered meals for NoFear and the Shrimpster. Which they ended up sharing and trading. Whatever, at least they ate!

And then, it happened. . . .

We were munching along, in our matching Disney shirts, and NoFear said something about Goldie waiting for us at home.

Now, I had hoped that we wouldn't have to address this until we got home. Maybe I'm a coward. Maybe I just felt out of my depth on discussing death with an (almost) four year old. In any case, I wasn't going to tell them. BUT, I also, even at their tender age, do not want to lie to my children (except about the reality of Santa Claus and Mickey Mouse and such). So, I, at that point, at the Bob Evans, told my sweet baby girl that our dog had died.

Now, she is familiar with the concept of death. Just ask her. She'll tell you that the bad guys will come and get you and you will be "did" until the prince comes and kisses you awake.

Yeah, okay, so she is familiar in a really skewed and unrealistic way . . .

So, she responded with the start of tears and "Goldies's did?" I explained that God wanted Goldie to live with him, that it was okay to be sad, but that Goldie was just not going to live with us anymore. She cheered right up. And finished her pancakes.

Ah, to be (almost) four . .

(But, it broke my heart that tonight, as I wrote this, we were watching some past videos from last year, that included our beautiful dog, and NoFear turned to me with tears in her eyes and said "I miss Goldie. And I'm never going to see her again!" She might have a different view of being "did" now than the slightly skewed one she had a month ago.)

Southbound with the Hamma Down!(Page 8, Post 120)
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 10-16-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #110
SmithFamily2003
Mouseketeer

Sorry about your dog. Your pre-trip report is great! I can't wait for the trip part!

From,
Another Smith Family
Pop Century Oct. 2011
Caribbean Beach Feb. 2011
All-Star Movies Oct. 2009
Port Orleans Riverside Feb. 2009
Pop Century Sept. 2007
Wilderness Lodge Dec. 2006
All-Star Sports Sept. 2005
All-Star Sports Aug. 2003
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #111
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Amy,

You know I love your writing. My heart just skipped a bit of a beat as you relayed how you told NoFear about Goldie. I am so sorry...

Now, I must say I snickered at the images of y'all on the interstate, getting gas, then watching Boost dive into the Bob Evans experience!!!

I'm loving this family's tale. Keep it comin..
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #112
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Oh, Amy
Old 10-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #113
HaleyB
I am cunfuzzled now
Wait!! You're a guy???!?

Oh Amy, it is so hard to see our children come to grips with the concept of death, but they handle it so well. As if they understand something we have forgotten.

I love reading your trip report, you have a wonderful way of telling a story.

Phbbbt! by steven_and_haley_bach, Hedgehog Blog!http://princesspricklepants.wordpress.com/

Recent Trips: Aug 2010 AKL/BWV; Sept 2010 Hawaii; December 2010 Disneyland; Jan 2011 Mexico Cruise with the girls; Feb 2011 GF Maelstrom Meet; Feb 2011 Anniversary trip AKL CL with 1 night Platinum Plan. May/June 2011 Family trip; GF CL Sept 2012; Bonnet Creek May 2012; YC CL Sept 2013;

[center]Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
The Silly Trip Report/Epic (2006 Trip Report) NEW again on 8/31/07 part 21!! Dude!!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:24 PM   #114
Yzma and Kronk
I survived the Pie-fest
I broke my spleen and yaked up a lung.....and I was driving!
Not done the "other" thing yet...

I'm loving your TR!

So sorry you had to explain to the kids about Goldie so soon.

Quote:
We decided that we could sacrifice the time for a sit-down meal to satisfy his life-long dream of eating at a Bob Evans.
I'm sorry, but this is funny!

What, does he only hang at Waffle House???

Tell him to try the Sausage gravy....one of DH's favourites!

I like Bob Evans because the the long bendy straws they give the kids

Looking forward to more!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:25 PM   #115
HaleyB
I am cunfuzzled now
Wait!! You're a guy???!?

Oh, and I forgot to say that your kids are beautiful, just like their Momma. They both have amazing eyes.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #116
UtahMama
Wakey, wakey, Eggs and Bakey

Diet Cherry PEPSI Queen
I speak toddler
What in the Sam Hill is going on around here?

Amy!!! I just love you to pieces!!!
I think you are so awesome and funny (very!) and you are
THE best mama!

The matching shirts (ok, the glimpse on your son) are adorable...I saw the graphics of it previously...cute as a bug!

Sorry you're missing your furr-baby!!! It does get a little easier, but I STILL cry after 3 years!!!! I told my kids we'd see him again when we go to heaven, which I cling to as well.

Your babes are yummy! The sound so really smart and funny too!
Thanks for telling us you posted!!! (BTW, I did too!) *shameless*

Thanks for being so "real" and so funny! I enjoy reading your posts!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #117
sheridac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
(But, it broke my heart that tonight, as I wrote this, we were watching some past videos from last year, that included our beautiful dog, and NoFear turned to me with tears in her eyes and said "I miss Goldie. And I'm never going to see her again!" She might have a different view of being "did" now than the slightly skewed one she had a month ago.)
Amy!!!! I wish I had something profound to say here. About the circle of life. Which sucks. TFI. Which probably wasn't profound, was it???

One of THE hardest things (in my not-so-humble opinion) to see, as a parent, is your child in pain. Especially when it's a pain you can't kiss and make better. And. Especially when you see that pain dim the light shining from their eyes a little. Which is also a part of life. Which sucks. Too.

Oh, and this???
Quote:
I did feel the need to obsessively check and make sure we had our tickets and TWO copies of the backs of our tickets. Just in case. They disappeared from the LAST time I checked them.
Ha!!! I always put them in a SECRET, SAFE place. And then don't remember where sad SECRET, SAFE place is!!!!!

Last edited by sheridac; 10-15-2006 at 08:56 AM. Reason: and then drive myself crazy for an hour tearing apart everything I own!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #118
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

Amy - This was FANTASTIC

So much to say -

I bemember when we got our 1st van that had a VCR and TV!!!! DH declared NEVER again to own a car without modern tech. Like automatic windows

In NJ you don't pump your own gas It is AGAINST THE LAW. When we travel we are gas pumping nerds, cause we don't know how

Bob Evans - Try the knife and fork sammies. Delicious And my life long dream, after meeting all of you, was to eat at Sonny's. Which we couldn't find on 95

Telling the little one about the death of her dog Kids do have a skewed sense of reality, but they are much stronger then we think.

Loved it!!!!!

Last edited by Grammyof2; 10-15-2006 at 08:53 AM. Reason: And I always pick the looonnnggg movies
Old 10-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #119
kpk89
I know that you know that I kn...well, you get the pic
What is a po-tro-ast?
mumbling and looking at floor

Amy, I know just how you feel. We had to tell our kids (twice!) that one of their kitties had been hit by a car. I wish I'd written down what they said, but something to the effect of "Well, now Grampa Verne can have a cat up in heaven." And after the second one, it was more like "Didn't Merryweather learn to stay away from the road after Merlin died?" Of course though we loved those cats, they were mere babes, not with us for long. Our dear "old lady" cat of 14 years is still around, and 'twill be a very sad day when we have to say goodbye to her.

Happy to hear that Boost the photo-napper got to live out his life-long dream. My life-long dream is to see the photos from your trip!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #120
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

Southbound, with the Hamma Down!

After lunch, we were back on the road. After the bathroom square-dance.

You know, change those partners, do-si-do! I go to the bathroom by myself. Then I take NoFear. Then I go back to the table. Then I decide that the Shrimpster should probably have dry pants. So I decide to go to the car (for the dry pants). But NoFear wants to go with me. So we go, then fetch Shrimpster, leaving Boost at the table. When done, we go to find Boost, who is no longer at the table. Hmmm, bathroom or outside? He was paying, so I made a run for the front door. Luckily for me the po-lice didn't stop me at the door and demand payment. He had either paid or was still inside or we were going to get away from the Bob Evans with a free lunch.

I'm just kidding. I would never do that. Really.

Really really.

Having completed the marathon that was a trip to the bathroom in our family, we were finally on the way. South. Again.

We figured out that we weren't going to have as much time before our outing at 8 p.m. as we had hoped. Would we make a grocery store run or go swimming?

Some of you are thinking - why is that mutually exclusive? Why? Because I am unwilling to take the kids to the grocery store by myself and Boost is unwilling to take them to the swimming pool by himself. It was all of us or none of us in the pool. And hopefully NOT all of us at the grocery store. Because Boost tends to pick up some completely unnecessary things.

But a grocery store run was virtually required as I was unwilling to face the tragedy that was bedtime for the Shrimpster without chocolate milk.

I do not remember loving chocolate milk that much as a child.

I know that he did not get chocolate milk until he was at least 18 months old.

But from the moment that nectar crossed his lips. . . teeth . . . gums, there has been no other drink for him.

I have not given him YooHoo. I believe, rightly or wrongly, that real chocolate milk has to be better for him than THAT.

So, he drinks a lot of chocolate milk.

And screams loudly and longly when we do not have any. AND. He likes the prepared chocolate milk in the or full gallon containers from the grocery store. He can taste powdered or milk with syrup from a distance. He can look at the cup and tell. Even if the cup isn't transparent. It's kind of freaky.

And we all know that I am an indulgent mother. That buys chocolate milk.

The decision was actually a fairly easy one for me.

Because I also needed some fresh limes to make Cosmopolitan's for Grammy and myself. And I didn't think they would have THOSE at the cute little general store at the resort, where I could have bought chocolate milk in a pinch.

So. We decided prior to arrival, that upon arrival and the unloading of the silver bullet van, that a grocery run was in order.

And then I started seeing the billboards for that Happiest Place on Earth. Great billboards. Showing Exedition Everest. Tower of Terror. Other happy and thrilling sights.

I never got any pictures because the silver bullet van was moving as fast as a silver bullet. I think. I tried hard not to look.

Because, you see, Boost was driving. I also try hard to not criticize since I am not being forced behind the wheel. BUT he drives a vehicle with lights and sirens for a living. He has commented that he didn't think that the Richard Petty Driving Experience would be that fun. It was just going fast around a closed track. What's fun about that? It's not like he hasn't driven that fast before or anything. (Okay, I hesitate to point out that he probably HASN'T driven that fast before. At least I hope not. But it's possible, you never know . . .)

Anyway, back to me not criticizing . . .BUT . . .he drives the silver bullet van like IT has lights and sirens, too. And doesn't understand why EVERYONE doesn't get out of his way. When they see him on the road.

(I think it might be because the silver bullet van DOES NOT have lights and sirens. But Boost assures me that it's really because everyone in Florida was in a conspiracy to keep him from his vacation. I told him to go talk to the DNC about his conspiracy theories, since they are well-versed in them.)

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY, just a little behind schedule, we saw the arches. No, not the Golden Arches.

Better than that.

Much much better!

(I particularly like the bug splats on the windshield.)

And we only took one or two wrong turns on the way to Old Key West, since, as it turns out, it is a DOWNTOWN DISNEY resort and NOT an Epcot resort. In case you didn't know. Ahem.

Why we stayed where we did. And how I missed out on Free Dining (Page 9, Post 134)
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 10-17-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: