Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
isyt
DIS Veteran

Help me decide

I am going from SFO to LA in august and I am perplexed. I have 3 kids (9,7,and 5), we are flying into SFO for a few days and then driving to LA before going to DL. I was going to drive in 1 day but hubby wants to stop somewhere overnight and spend some time. What do you guys think? Stop or straight through? If we did stop , where? Is there somewhere that the kids would like?

Help me decide !!!
isyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

Well, Santa Barbara is always nice, but it certainly isn't a geographic "middle".....you would only have a few hours left to reach DL.

oops...just got to thinking you mat very well not be taking the freeway that would take you past the coast.......do you know what roads you will be taking?
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2006, 01:38 AM   #3
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I agree with Judy - it depends on what freeway you are planning on going down.

I have driven straight through, and I have stopped along the way, spending the night at San Luis Obispo. You can stay there, or at one of the coastal towns if you take Hwy 1 or 101. If you stay at San Luis Obispo, you might visit the Purisima Mission. It's the best preserved that shows how the missionaries lived back in the 1600-1700s.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

i think stopping is a great idea-it keeps you from getting exhausted and the kids from getting cranky (it's a long ride). i'de think any place with a pool would be great so the kids could swim while you relax. there are beach towns that are nice to wander around, but remember-even in the best of weather the water is COLD going down the coast.

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

If there's extra time in your schedule, a night in Santa Barbara would be nice. But if it means one less day at DL, I would drive straight through.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
isyt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73
If there's extra time in your schedule, a night in Santa Barbara would be nice. But if it means one less day at DL, I would drive straight through.

Woody

Don't worry Woody I would never give up a day in DL. In fact I am adding a day because I thought a Monday - Friday stay would be best (parks not busy) but of course now there is no Fantasmic, so I will go Friday night and leave for the beach really late.
isyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
wnissen
Mouseketeer

The drive should only be about 6.5 hours, so depending on your kids, the number of toys you have in the car, it's easily doable in a day. If you take 101, there are places to stop, but figure an extra hour travel time. If you go I-5, then there's not really anywhere to stop, except for the occasional McDonalds with a PlayPlace. There are plenty of motels, just no cities or attractions to speak of.

If you go 101, there are lots of places to stop. Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Cambria (about 40 minutes off 101).

Walt
Old 07-20-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
grumpy.uncle
Ed

If you drive down 101, there are lots of little towns you could stop at. You might want to spend the nite in San Luis Obispo. It is a great town eventhough it has changed alot since I went to college there. If you plan on staying overnite, there is the Madonna Inn which is quite a trip; the coffee shop is great for breakfast or lunch and their bakery is great. Also used to be a little place called the Apple Farm Inn that had a little motel and a great restaurant that was very reasonable. I think it is still in SLO. You might also consider Pismo Beach. It's just south of SLO and right on the water. Lots of hotels and restaurants. Have fun. Ed
grumpy.uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: