Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Just back from POP/CSR - any questions?

Real quick -

Just got back Sunday from 8 nights at WDW. Were booked at POP. Arrived 5/20 - check in was smooth. A little bit of a line, but it went fast. We were assigned room 3444 - 50's building (Tramp), facing the 60's. Nice location. Got to the room, got unpacked, our groceries showed up (gardengrocer.com...wonderful!). Went and toured Epcot for a bit. Came back and hit the food court. Ok, I LOVE hard beds. I long for them. However, I woke up Sunday morning in SO much pain. That bed was TRULY like a rock. Sunday afternoon, I casually mentioned to DH that I would love to stay at a moderate, and wish we had booked one. Well, that spun him into action. Off I was sent to see if anything was open at any mods. CSR had waterview, POR/POFQ was sold out, and CBR had availability come Tuesday. DH wanted out THEN! He was NOT happy with the POP. Hated the noise, the tiny rooms, the BEDS. Everything.

So, Monday AM we checked out of POP and headed over to CSR. I told them I didn't need waterview, and if there was anything else open, I would prefer the cheaper room. Well, Disney Magic - they gave me the water view at Standard $$$. We were in room 3466. Casitas 3 - BEAUTIFUL corner room. Overlooked the lake. It was WONDERFUL!! Room to move, beds were great. We loved this resort. Only complaint - it's HUGE!!!! Walking to the dig site was a pain. Even with the golf taxis that come around....it was a pain. CBR is much more managable for walking around. The food at the Pepper Market was decent - hella expensive, but I loved the quesadillas. The people working in the Pepper Market were FANTASTIC! We went later one night and my 2 year old son was hamming it up - they were so smitten with him...they loaded us us with the rest of the bakery goods - FREE!! Threw them all in a paper bag and sent us on our way :O) The bus service was great. Only time I waited more than 5 minutes was one mid afternoon when I was heading to Epcot alone. I waited close to 30 minutes.

It was hot, crowded, etc. But, as Buzz has said, because of conventions, the busses are SO less crowded. Only had to stand 1x and that was after Illuminations one night. Usually there were only 5 - 6 other people on the bus. The Elks convention was down there last week, and boy can they party. DJ rocking out until LATE (past midnight if I remember). It was fun!

Overall - I have learned my lesson. We are NOT value resort people. Too crowded, noisy, chaotic. Nothing was really wrong with POP (except the rock hard beds)...just wasn't for us. Great bus service (except, they really need to shade those stops!). Food court was mediocre. The nachos sucked. The beer is $5 a bottle ($2.50 at all mods/deluxes) in the convenience store.

I think that's about it - any questions?

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Badllamamama
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for sharing!!
Badllamamama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Buzz2001
CSR MAN!!

Did the view look something like this? Glad you enjoyed CSR!
Buzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
I am quite spacy

Pretty darn close! We were in the part of Casitas 3 right before the quiet pool. Where you turn from the main "drag" around the lake to hit the "Plaza" elevators for Casitas 3, you would instead go straight up the steps to floor 4 and our room was the one at the top of the steps. I will post a couple pics in a bit :O)

Old 05-31-2006, 04:49 AM   #5
Buzz2001
CSR MAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota!
Pretty darn close! We were in the part of Casitas 3 right before the quiet pool. Where you turn from the main "drag" around the lake to hit the "Plaza" elevators for Casitas 3, you would instead go straight up the steps to floor 4 and our room was the one at the top of the steps. I will post a couple pics in a bit :O)
This pic was from one of the suites on the 3rd floor.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:21 AM   #6
Letsbgoofy
Can live with dry heat
My Mickey waffle maker is a cheap park fix for me!
I like the scallops the best.

Were you on the dining plan? If so, did you notice the snack selections? We are going in late August and have requested Casita 3 third floor.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
I am quite spacy

No dining plan here. But, they had things labeled as "snack" in the La Tienda. I believe the ice cream bars, the chips, the banana bread/rice krispy bars. That's all I remember - sorry :O)

Old 05-31-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
Letsbgoofy
Can live with dry heat
My Mickey waffle maker is a cheap park fix for me!
I like the scallops the best.

Thanks! The DP rumor is that CSR hasn't updated their snack choices like the rest of the resorts/parks - just looking for first hand reports.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:34 PM   #9
tlynk
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you had a good time! Do you prefer CBR over CSR?

DLR- too many times to count! (Offsite, DLH, DGC) Walt Disney World (offsite, DTD, Dolphin, CBR, WL (x2), CSR, POR, BC, WL Club Level, SSR, BWV, VBR, POP, BCV) Disney Wonder 01/09 (3N Bahamas), 08/10 (5N Key West), 10/11 (7N Mexican Riviera), 5/12 (7N Alaska), 10/13 (7N Western Caribbean out of Galveston):Proud Owner of OKW 2010
tlynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #10
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
I am quite spacy

I do prefer CBR over CSR in the large picture. There are pros/cons to each.

I love the bus service at CSR. CBR was never bad, but CSR was just better. I think CBR has a better set up food court. I think Shutters is better than Maya Grille. I think CSR is WAY more spread out than CBR. CBR and CSR are both gorgeous...landscaping, architecture, etc. I like that CBR has more quiet pools - they were NEVER crowded. You see more wildlife (meaning birds/turtles) at CBR - which I prefer.

So - if were to choose my fave - CBR it would be :O)

Old 05-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #11
MARY-IN-OH
DIS Veteran

Hi there, I was just wondering, since it sounds as though you may not have had a car with you (since you used gardengrocer), how was your move handled? Did Disney move your luggage? If so, was just wondering how long it took to arrive at CSR, since I have read that sometimes takes about a half/day to have at your next resort.
Thanks!
mary
Dec 98 ASMu- - March 04 Pop- - Dec 06 OKW/Pop- -Sept 07 POFQ- - Oct 07 ASMo - - May 08 Pop/OKW - - Jan09 SSR- -Sept 09 BWV- -Dec 09 ASMo/OKW - -June 10 Pop/BCV- -Sept 10 AKV Kidani - -MAY 20, 2011 SSR/AKV JAMBO - - SEPT 9, 2011 - CBR & BWV STD VIEW 2 NTS BCV 1BR, and 4 NTS BWV 1BR STD SEPT 16 to 22nd 2012 Feb 5-12, 2013 - 2 nts POR royal room & 5 nights SSR- - Sept 7-8, 2 nts CBR and Sept 9-14, 5 nts at BWV Std view- - - Upcoming: DEC 10 - 17, 2013 SPLIT STAY OKW/SSR w/DH
MARY-IN-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #12
Buzz2001
CSR MAN!!

CBR surrounds a 45 acre lake and CSR surrounds a 15 acre lake. It depends what section you get at either resort.

Pool - CSR
Transportation - CSR
Landscapring - tie
Overall food - CSR (IMO)
Amenitites - CSR
Marina - CBR
Old 06-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
I am quite spacy

Transferring was REALLY smooth! We checked out of POP early - thinking it was around 8 or so? Took our luggage to Bell Services and they put tags on each one (we had 8 bags they were moving for us). Took a bus to AK, then a bus to CSR. Checked in and our room was ready. Went and dropped off the odds and ends we did bring with in the room, went to get breakfast at Pepper Market. Then headed out to a park. Came back around 1 and called Bell Services (luggage transfers occur between 1 - 3), and DH went down there to meet the guy and they brought it back.

As far as CBR/CSR and being spread out....we were in the farthest section of the farthest village (Trinidad South - 2 times!) and the walk was a LOT shorter than anywhere I had to walk at CSR. It may be a bigger lake at CBR, but there is a bridge over the middle of it...connecting the people on one side to the OPR. Where at CSR - the only bridge is over by the Cabanas. You have to walk all the way around the lake to get anywhere. You can always take an bus, or the golf cart if one is convenient, but if you are in the Ranchos sections closest to the Casitas..be prepared for a walk. I took my son for a walk the first day we were there...and damn if I wasn't dragging. We walked from Casitas 3, around by the Ranchos, behind the Dig Site, came in front of the Dig Site and back to the Casitas. Holy crap. That was killer.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
Buzz2001
CSR MAN!!

Here are the distances.

WALK
The distance around the whole lake is just under a mile (.97 miles).

Walking Distances
From El Centro moving clockwise around the lake path to:
Casitas 3 = .16 miles
Casitas 4 = .24 miles
Casitas 5 = .27 miles
Ranchos = .46 miles

From El Centro to the Dig Site, via the bridge near the Cabanas
= .35 miles

From El Centro moving counterclockwise around the lake to:
Cabanas 9B = .16 miles
Cabanas 9A/8B = .22 miles
Cabanas 8A = .31 miles
Old 06-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
Ms. S. White
Mouseketeer

Minnesota--You mentioned that the DJ was working "late". Where exactly was the DJ? Did the convention book the DJ for their own private use, or was it open for all to enjoy?

I read that the Pepper Market prices were increased only 10% above the other mods. Would you disagree?

Thanks for posting. We are on our way to CSR later this month, and as you can see, it's our first time there.

Dec. 2011 Coronado Springs
Apr. 2010 Caribbean Beach
July 2006 Coronado Springs
Mar. 2005 Port Orleans--Riverside
Mar. 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Mar. 2003 Port Orleans--Riverside
Apr. 2002 Caribbean Beach
Mar. 2001 Port Orleans--Riverside
Aug. 2000 All Star Movies
Mar. 1998 Caribbean Beach
Nov. 1996 off property

Ms. S. White is offline   Reply With Quote