Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
KANSAS
DIS Veteran

Royal caribbean labadee vs disney castaway cay

has anyone ever visited the Royal Caribeean/private island
Labadee,Haiit
and
the Disney Private ISland/castaway Cay

I use to thinkt he Disney Private island/Castaway cay
was the highlight of a disney cruise
but
after recent Royal Cariebeean/WEstern Caribeen Cruise and
stop at Royal caribeean/Private island/Labadee,haiit

I found the royal Caribeean/Private Isand/Labadee, Haiti
much nicer

if anyone has expiernces both private islands
please let me know
what you think??
KANSAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
princess22
I would just lay around the pool
How long til I'm not earning my ears anymore?

I have only been to their private island Cocoa Cay, or whatever it's called. I really like it. I think each has it's pro's and cons. It's nice not to have to tender at Castaway Cay. I didn't like all the jellyfish at Cocoa Cay, but the beach is nice.

I haven't been to Labadee. I was supposed to go a couple years ago, but it was when Haiti was having problems, and they didn't go for our safety. I have heard that isn't an island, but is a private part of Haiti that is seperated by a fence.
princess22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2006, 12:50 AM   #3
KANSAS
DIS Veteran

isn't cocoa cay the private island for
Princess

I am referring to Royal Caribeean/island
(maybe not private/but secluded)
Labadee,Hispaniola/Haitit
Old 05-27-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
princess22

Nope, pretty sure it's Royal Caribbean

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...M&portCode=CCA

Royal Caribbean has a private island (cococay) and Labadee.

Princess has a private island called Princess Cay, and that is also a nice island
Old 05-27-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
rtphokie
Photo board moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess22
I have only been to their private island Cocoa Cay, or whatever it's called. I really like it. I think each has it's pro's and cons. It's nice not to have to tender at Castaway Cay. I didn't like all the jellyfish at Cocoa Cay, but the beach is nice.

I haven't been to Labadee. I was supposed to go a couple years ago, but it was when Haiti was having problems, and they didn't go for our safety. I have heard that isn't an island, but is a private part of Haiti that is seperated by a fence.
You aren't kidding about the jellyfish at Cocoa cay. They're were tons of them there. I also ran into more baracuda than I'd like.

Cocoa Cay just doesn't compare to Castaway Cay, even when you ignore the need for tendering. There aren't nearly enough chairs, the beaches aren't as nice, the food isn't as good, and the hawking of the drink of the day is much more agressive on Cocoa Cay.
rtphokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
princess22

I feel you on the baracuda's also! I forgot about this. Let's just say, as soon as my dad pointed one out to me, I swam as fast I could (trying to avoid all the jellyfish)!!!
Old 05-27-2006, 08:48 AM   #7
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess22
I remember that. Seems like Haiti goes through a lot of problems. I'm sure its a lovely island, but I'm not sure if that would be the nation I'd choose to own a private island in.

(OK, like I'm going to own a private island and need to make the tough choice about which flag flies over it).
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
jodifla

DIS Veteran

I've been to a couple of private islands on other cruise lines, and just went to Castaway Cay. I personally thought all the private islands were quite nice. Castaway Cay is quite Disneyfied, a lot more concrete and walkways and themed buildings. The other islands are more rustic, but have the same Caribbean blue water.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
Timon

DIS Junkie

I have to say that IMHO Labadee was terrible compared to Castaway Cay.

We went on the Explorer of the Seas in November 2003 and stopped at Labadee and did not have a good experience.

Here's why:

1. Tenders to the island took forever! We even waited for the rush of passengers to go before we attempted to go down to the tender lobby and it still took us about 45 mins to set foot on the island!

2. The island (at least the part we were allowed to go to) was tiny! There was one small beach with about 30 chairs and 5 umbrellas right near the dock. One slightly larger beach with about 40 chairs and 7 umbrellas which was about a 10 minute walk on sand away from the dock. Then there was a bigger beach on the opposite side of the island from the dock with fewer chairs and umbrellas but with huge surf for most of the day. There was another beach near the water sports area but it is used more for the loading/unloading of the sporting excursions and I don't recall any chairs or umbrellas there.

Now with approximately 3000 passengers on board, that just didn't cut it!!
We did the waverunner tour and by the time we made it to a beach it was crowded!! And I mean crowded! No teen beach, no adult beach, no pathways to walk, which I noticed made it very difficult for elderly people and smaller kids.

3. The food they served was terrible. And it was all stuff I like, burgers, hot dogs, chicken , potato salad etc. None of it had any taste to it! The only thing they served to drink that was free was a fruit punch. A can a coke was $3 and it wasn't even that cold.

4. If you wanted to do a little shopping, there was only one spot for that and it was run by locals and it was scary. They were pushy and rude and made you feel terrible if you didn't buy anything.

I guess the biggest thing for me is that when we were on the island, I always felt uncomfortable, like I was an unwelcomed guest. At Castaway Cay, we felt like they wanted us there, you know?

If we ever go back to Labadee, I think we will be pretending like we are at sea and just stay on the ship!

Here's some photos:

1. This is where the tenders let you off, you can see a tender boat at the right, with the small beach to the left.

2. The second beach that was about 10 mins away.

3. The bigger beach with the rough surf. You can see the eating area with the burgandy roofs.

Remember, this is just my opinion! I am sure there were people who really enjoyed their day on the island.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
KANSAS
DIS Veteran

thank you very much for your thoughts. I had a great time
on the Royal Caribeean/Labadee,Haiti Stop

I found the beaches, very large and easy accessabile
and so many things to do

I found the food, just fine and much easier to access
than on the Disney Private ISland/Castaway Cay
but
I do appreciate your input

I was trying to see, how others felt
that HAd been to RCCL/Labadee,Haiti Stop
and
Disney Private island/Castaway Cay
like myself
Old 05-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
KANSAS
DIS Veteran

I was at the RCCL/Labadeen,Haiti stop on May 1,2006
I am pretty sure
they have a quite/Adult beach now
Old 05-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #12
april riddle

Very Veteran DISer!

We have done both and I actually can say that we liked Labadee better. To us the beach was very natural and we sat under a tree very close to the water's edge. I will say I thought the people on the beach from Haiti were a bit pushy - but I guess it is their livelihood. We explored around the old church which was very cool.
The food was basically the same - you did get some native entertainment. My DH and sons went to the iceberg area and they didn't really like it too much but many people on the RCCL boards really like it.
The water was much warmer in Labadee than at Castaway Cay - we went to Castaway first week in November - Labadee second week January so that could have been the difference.
In Labadee you have to take a tender - Castaway you just walk off the ship.
If of course you want the Disney characters with Mt Rustmore - you must go on Disney.
For whatever reason it was a little more relaxing on Labadee to us.
april riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #13
winnyis
When angels visit us, we do not hear the rustle of wings, nor feel the feathery touch of the breast of a dove; but we know their presence by the love they create in our hearts.

I have gone to both and IMO Labadee cant hold a candle to Castaway Cay.

I loved the ship (Navigator of the Seas) but if I ever take another RCI cruise I would stayonboard if they stop at labadee. The beaches were so rocky my feet hurt, the vendors soo pushy you couldnt even get souvenirs,

Ginny

August 2001 - Eastern, August 2002 - Western, November 2003 - Navigator of the Seas Western, August 2004 - Hurricane Francis 10 day Western, August 2005 - Panama Canal Repo Cruise, Sept 2006 - 10 Day Southern Carribean Wonder, November 2006 - Girls Only Carnival Cruise, March 2007 - 3 Day Wonder, Oct 2007- Girls Only RCI Soveriegn of the Seas, Nov 2007 - Thanksgiving on the Magic, August 2008 - Panama Canal Repo Cruise Again, October 2008 - Girls Only Carnival Inspiration, Oct 2009 - Girls Only Carnival Destiny, Oct , 2009 - Halloween on the Wonder; April , 2010 - Spring Break in Hawaii; Nov 2010 - Girls Only Carnival Destiny again; March 3, 2011, Disney Dream, August 16, 2011, Disney Dream

Upcoming Trips - June 2012 - 20th Anniversary trip to Maui and Oahu; June 27, 2013 - 12 Night Med cruise
winnyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #14
thompson princesses
Mouseketeer

Been to both and although Castaway Cay is beautiful and "disneyfied" our family loved Labadee. The scenery from the beach is incredible....the ocean and cruiseship nestled between the mountains is breathtaking. We loved the lunch and there seems to be more to do there. JMO....Either place is a great way to spend a day!!!!

Joaquin Phoenix Lover
thompson princesses is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: