Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2005, 01:30 AM   #1
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up 4 days at AS Music with Dining

Hey Everybody,

Thanks to folks on this board - and Merrie at Dreams Unlimited Travel - I was able to plan and execute a great 3 1/2 day trip to WDW with:

Husband
Son (almost 5) and
Sister-in-law

It was GREAT! Here's a brief summary of our experiences and a few things I learned. (I did not have any experiences that came even close to ruining a moment, let alone the trip, but it's always nice to learn things and hope that others won't make the same small mistakes I've made, which is the only reason I share anything negative here. It was really a wonderful trip).

Day 1: We were visiting family in Georgia, and had a 5 hour drive to WDW. (We flew home straight from Orlando). So........ Day 1 started out with a 5 hour drive. This was not ideal, but I didn't realize how much there was to do at Disney until after our plans were already made. We got to All Star Music about 12:30 pm. The CM who checked us in was probably the worst CM I met in 4 days. He was nice, just kind of pokey and unsure of himself. But our rooms were READY, and altho they didn't have a King as I requested, they were 2 adjoining rooms, which worked out great for the four of us. (I didn't realize the outside doors were not inside hallways, so was glad for the adjoining rooms).

Contrary to the advice in the travel guides (and I consulted Frommer's, Fodor's and Birnbaum's!) we headed straight to a park after dropping our stuff in the rooms. We caught the bus and were in Animal Kingdom by 2 pm! This was an extra magic day, so we enjoyed this park from 2-8 pm, which was plenty of time. I really really loved this park. Unfortuantely we missed the Lion King, which was something on my "must see" list, but the times just didn't every work out for us. As I was waffling about doing the River Rapids (I didn't want to get wet before dinner), I spotted a poncho somebody had left at the exit to the ride. I used it and loved the ride...... then passed it on to a grateful person when I was done. This park was very quiet the day we were there.......... it was so calm during the extra magic hours, it really did feel like we had the park to ourselves.

We had an 8:40 pm dinner reservation at Boma, just a short 2 minute bus ride from Animal Kingdom. I was a little disappointed in the bus service at this point. I would have expected busses to be WAITING for people headed to the resorts at closing time. We waited over 20 minutes for the FIRST bus headed to the Animal Kingdom Lodge when Animal Kingdom closed at 8 pm. Fortunately we were close to the front of the line, and got on the first bus. Busses for every other resort went by before ours came....) We got to Boma at 8:30, and we were paged promptly at 8:40 for a waiting table. The buffet was amazing. Really good stuff.... there has been lots of discussion about the food at Boma, so I won't reitierate here. And God bless them for having PB&J on the buffet for my 5 year old.

A CM at Animal Kingdom had assured us that some sort of bus service would get us from the AK lodge back to ASMusic after we ate. He seemed to be mistaken, so we just grabbed a cab. $8 plus tip, and about a 5 minute drive. No problem. We crashed hard that night....... but set our alarms to get up at 7:30 the next day.

Things I learned on Day 1.
Be diligent about the times for shows you really don't want to miss.
Don't be afraid to take a cab.
Don't believe everything you read in the travel guides. Some of the stuff that sounded boring in the guides was really fun (like the Rafiki train thing).
Kids rides can be fun, even if your kid won't go. (My hubby and I really enjoyed the Pteradactyl Spin).
Boma would be more enjoyable (and could be really romantic) without kids. (They don't really appreciate the food, anyway, although my son loved the guy playing the drum in the lobby).

As for food:
We had Tusker House for lunch (counter service) and of course Boma. Tusker house was by far the best counter service we had all week. It wasn't particularly amazing food, but it was more "homemade" than the burgers and fries at the other counter service places.

Tired and jet-lagged........... more tomorrow re: MGM (Sci Fi Dine In), and our first day at the Magic Kingdom.

Questions are welcome.

Piglet
November 8-11, 2005 - WDW with my husband and 5yo son and SIL - - All Star Music Resort ~ Trip Report
April 12-14, 2006 - DISNEYLAND again with the best friend - now 30-something moms
August 2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland
June 2011- Disneyland WITH HUBBY AND TWO KIDS (10 & 5), SIL and 2yo nephew - BWPPI ~ Trip Report.
October 21-26, 2012, WDW - All Star Movies, Food and Wine, and MNSSHP

Feb. 12-16, 2014. Disneyland (Desert Inn and Suites) Just me and the kids!! (now 13 and 8)
Old 11-14-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Enjoyed reading your report ~ Thanx for posting.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

thanks for your report.......is the food really far out that kids would not like the food at Boma? I would like to try it when just hubby and I go but when grandkids come we will for go it .........thanks again for your report

Old 11-14-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

Great report! Part 2 quickly please

DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
Old 11-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumba
thanks for your report.......is the food really far out that kids would not like the food at Boma? I would like to try it when just hubby and I go but when grandkids come we will for go it .........thanks again for your report
I think the food is absolutely fine for kids. They have a kid buffet (which they are NOT limited to for the kid price) that has spaghetti, chicken strips, the usual. Also really great peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on marble bread that my son is still raving about. However...... for my picky eater who is kind of a spaz, dragging him to the buffet and paying the price for the two pbj's he ate would not have been worth it if we were not on the dining plan. (I find buffets kind of hard with my son b/c I have to carry his plate b/c he still cannot be trusted to carry a plate of food. Spastic.) That was all I meant by the kid comment..... We still had a nice time, but I did see some couples at small tables with a bottle of wine, and I was kind of jealous.

More later.

Piglet (Freezing, back in Alaska)
November 8-11, 2005 - WDW with my husband and 5yo son and SIL - - All Star Music Resort ~ Trip Report
April 12-14, 2006 - DISNEYLAND again with the best friend - now 30-something moms
August 2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland
June 2011- Disneyland WITH HUBBY AND TWO KIDS (10 & 5), SIL and 2yo nephew - BWPPI ~ Trip Report.
October 21-26, 2012, WDW - All Star Movies, Food and Wine, and MNSSHP

Feb. 12-16, 2014. Disneyland (Desert Inn and Suites) Just me and the kids!! (now 13 and 8)
Old 11-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
pal
Registered

Great report!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
DaisyGirlAllTheWay
Brand New Disney Addict.

Great Report, Waiting for more

August 17th - 24th, 2005 - The Peabody Hotel
- Our First Disney trip...omg he proposed (and I said YES )!
February 1st - 7th 2006 - CBR - My birthday trip! <br>
November 15th - 18th, 2008 -
Pop Century
- Babymoon! Baby Joshua expected March 7th, 2009!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: