Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Creative DISigns
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

I'm planning to make some tie dye t-shirts for our trip in December, but I'm not "getting" it! I know to stitch the floss around a mickey shape and pull it to gather it. Do I do that on both the front and back? Once that's done, what do I do with the rest of the shirt? How do I go about applying the dye? Anyone have a more detailed description or photos of the process? Sorry to be such a dork!
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
disneyeveryyear
Not fully packed until she gets on the plane and then there’s always Wal-Mart!
Disney Lover!!!! (I think I am addicted to exclamation points!)

GG-

Shriva has some photos of when it was done, but as of right now, I am unable to pull them up. They are on Post #5096 of the WDW T-shirt thread.

If they continue to not load, I will take some tonight when I do some more.

Last edited by disneyeveryyear; 10-05-2005 at 11:36 PM.
disneyeveryyear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
onedisneylover
Mouseketeer

that would be awesome if you can take some pics doing it...as i am a visual person as well, and want to know if i am doing each step right.

nobody but the big cheese saying cheese!!!
onedisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:51 PM   #4
triplefigs
Triple Chick
Triple the Kids
Triple the FUN!
Bama Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyeveryyear
GG-

Shriva has some photos of when it was done, but as of right now, I am unable to pull them up. They are on Post #5096 of the WDW T-shirt thread.

If they continue to not load, I will take some tonight when I do some more.
I think he deleted them as he left the t-shirt thread in a huff. Could you please take some more to help everyone out?

Thanks!
triplefigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #5
disneyeveryyear

Denise,

I have taken pictures of the stitching and banding process, didn't take any of the dyeing yet.

I am more than willing to post these if you think they would help. They are currently on the photobucket site. I know a lot of people are having trouble accessing that. Should I copy them to the DIS photos? If so, how do I do that? I was proud just to figure out how to download from my digital camera and how to post on photobucket.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #6
triplefigs
Triple Chick
Triple the Kids
Triple the FUN!
Bama Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyeveryyear
Denise,

I have taken pictures of the stitching and banding process, didn't take any of the dyeing yet.

I am more than willing to post these if you think they would help. They are currently on the photobucket site. I know a lot of people are having trouble accessing that. Should I copy them to the DIS photos? If so, how do I do that? I was proud just to figure out how to download from my digital camera and how to post on photobucket.
I'm not having any trouble with the Photobucket site. I would still probably do them there as there is a solution to get around it. Thanks for taking new pictures. Appreciate the time and effort it must be to do so! Can't wait to see them. I want to try it for our trip.
triplefigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:47 AM   #7
disneyeveryyear

Here are the pics I promised

OK - Here goes:

1. Draw Mickey head on front and back of shirt

2. Baste just outside of pencil marks

3. Pull thread tight making sure all material poofs to the outside

4. Tie off (keeping very tight) Mickey heads are on right and left - neckline showing to the top of picture, sleeve laying on top of shirt

5. Band around Mickey heads

Here is a close up you can see "ears" are smaller tabs, "head" is larger

Now is where it gets to be very personal. I wanted concentric circles around Mickey's head - like the pictures of my kids' shirt. Thus I just kept bunching the fabric in a tube and banding every couple of inches up to neckline and sleeves.

I then banded top of each sleeve

Then I banded the sleeves 1/2 down and banded down the bottom part of the shirt

To produce more of a white outline around Mickey head and to separate colors more, use more than one rubber band. The most recent shirts I have done have about 1" of banding around head. DD6 dyed her g-ma's tonight. We'll have to see how it looks tomorrow.

Additionally, some sites say to pleat before you band, or roll. To be honest, I pleated the first two and didn't like the way they turned out. Thus, I just started scrunching from then on.

Hope these help. If someone needs more pics, let me know. I still have at least 3 more shirts to go!

Last edited by disneyeveryyear; 10-07-2005 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Pictures wouldn't show
disneyeveryyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #8
disneyeveryyear

Bumping for Kritter
Old 11-06-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
marissat
Mouseketeer

thanks you for bumping...I have been looking for these pictures for a few days now!!

Marissa

5/03...Port Orleans/AKL

12/00...First Trip..CSprings
marissat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:35 PM   #10
julia & nicks mom
Bad influence on the Tag Fairy!
I knocked Mickey's block off

I just wanted to add the Tie Dye instructions here b/c I refer a lot of people to this thread!!

Thanks for the pictures!!

Directions from Cojochurch
First you will need the dye. I got a kit at Michaels that came with the instructions, dye, squirt bottles, soda ash, gloves, and rubber bands. Get 100% cotton shirts. That is very important so that you get vibrant colors. Do not use Rit Dye – you will not get vibrant colors!

Take the shirt and draw a Mickey head in pencil, on the shirt. I made a pattern on paper first and then traced along the edge. You will then "sew" the pattern. Use a needle and thread. I got a waxed thread at Michaels to make sure it didn't take up the dye. Sew a 1/4" - 1/2" basting stitch along the pencil line. A basting stitch is a very simple stitch that goes up & down through the fabric. Only go through the front of the shirt if that is where you want the Mickey to be. If you want it on front and back. Do each side separately. After stitching along the complete line, knot it, and pull it tight, so the fabric gathers in a bunch. Make sure the inside of the Mickey is poking outward. Pleat the rest of the fabric, so that you have a long snake like tube. The more careful you are with pleating the fabric along the length of the shirt, the better the final result. Go easy, and take your time. Wrap a rubber band around the threaded bunch. The tighter the tie, the more defined the outline of the Mickey will be. Place remaining rubber bands in 1"-2" intervals along the rest of the shirt. It is a little hard to explain, but when you are done you will have a long snake. One end is the Mickey on front of shirt and the other end it the back Mickey. Through the middle is the rest of shirt (arms, neck etc.).

Then follow the instructions in the kit for preparing and dying shirts. The squirt bottles make it possible to get the specific color where you want it.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #11
tmt martins
DIS Veteran
Uses her HIS iron as a doorstop!
I get enough confusion on here as it is. Can I get a little help here?

To help with bleeding use large yarn tie tight then rubberband .this will keep area tighter then just the rubberband and the yarn will soak some of the dye before bleeding through.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #12
Tandyc
Disney brings out the kid in me!

What type of Dental Floss do you use? I only have Mint and Cinnamon which are green and red. Will they work or will they bleed and mess up the whole thing?

Thanks for your help!

Tandyc
Old 06-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #13
kat3668
Mouseketeer
Driving me nuts is a short trip!
The TF wishes you a Happy Birthday even if you do run like a duck!

Thank you all for the Wonderful directions!!! My tanks came out fabulous!!!

kat3668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #14
CourtneyMc
Mouseketeer

thanks!

Thanks for all this info, mine turned out really well I think! I'd attach a pic, but I can't figure out how to do that~

-Courtney
CourtneyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #15
we3disneygo
DIS Veteran

were getting ready to make our shirts for Sept. !!!!! thanks to all!!!
we3disneygo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: