Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

**Book Club Discussion!**

We are going to be discussing Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. This thread will contain spoilers so if you have not finished the book

1) What did you think of the first chapter of the book? What is your impression of the Prime Minister? What is your impression of the new Minister of Magic?

2) Dumbledore and Harry spend a lot more time together in this book then in any of the previous ones. Do you think Dumbledore knew his fate?

3) Harry and Ginny - discuss!

4) Ron and Lavender - discuss!

5) Ron and Hermoine - discuss!

6) Do you think Snape is evil?

7) What did you think of the book?

8) What are your hopes for the next and final book?

These threads are for discussion therefore we do not have to stick to the general questions I come up with. Please feel free to add your own questions, insights, and opinions.

~Amanda
septbride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

1) What did you think of the first chapter of the book? What is your impression of the Prime Minister? What is your impression of the new Minister of Magic?

I didn't really have too many impressions of the PM, but the new MoM seems like a real scuz. He reminds me a lot of Dolores Umbridge. ::shudder:: Though Fudge was a weasel, I can see this guy doing even more damage. The attempts to attract Harry as the poster boy just solidified it for me.

2) Dumbledore and Harry spend a lot more time together in this book then in any of the previous ones. Do you think Dumbledore knew his fate?

I think he definately knew his fate. I think that will be made clear in the last book. The fact that Dumbledore defended Snape for so long leads me to believe that he knew Snape was going to kill him and for some reason it had to happen this way.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! I was so happy they got together. I seriously doubt Ginny will let him go without a good fight. It seemed to easy at the end of the book for her to just "accept" it. Now Harry better not die at the end of the next book because they need to be together forever!

Oh my gosh, when she gave him the "bling" that said sweetheart (or whatever it was), I just pictured Ron with a huge, rapper style gold necklace and couldn't stop laughing! They reminded me of junior high all over again. Not much talking + lots of making out = a relationship. I choreograph a show for high school kids and I see this all the time with the freshman. It made me laugh.

Ugh! I guess we have to wait till the last book. I was really hoping for it to be this one. I love them together. It bugs my dad because he doesn't like that they're growing up. I think it's adorable.

You know, I can't bring myself to think Snape is evil. Really, it's because I have a little crush on Alan Rickman and can't separate him and Snape in the books. I have to look at Snape objectively, but can't.... help... it...

I loved this one. I thought it was better than OotP, but not as good as GOF. I like how everything's coming together for one rip roarin' finale!!

That it doesn't happen because I don't want it to be over!!!!!!!! Really, I hope she doens't kill off Harry. I'll be crushed.

More insights in a few - gotta do some work.
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2005, 09:26 AM   #3
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

Before I duck out - what did you think of the HBP? Did you think it was going to be Snape? How did you feel about that story line?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
coliebird
I HAVE to sleep with socks on!
There must be other people that do this also.
something about tuna from a deli skeeves me

I felt bad for the Muggle Prime Minister. Imagine having wizards pop into your office and tell you there is a whole other world out there, plus everything that happens he gets blamed for. I do not like Rufus Scrimgeour at all. I agree with Phisigprincess that he is a lot like Dolores Umbridge.

Yes, I think Dumbledore knew that he could die trying to get all of the horcruxes. I do think that he is really dead, but will still help Harry from beyond.

Love Harry & Ginny. When he kissed her I cheered. I was so happy reading about them. I don't think they are over despite what Harry says. Ginny is not going to let him get away that easy.

I thought the interaction between them was funny. It added some comic relief to the book.

I think these two will finally get it together (at least I hope so).

I'm torn on this one. I think that Snape doesn't want to be evil, if that makes sense, but his past has brought him to this point and made him who he is. I would like to believe that Snape somehow redeems himself in book 7. Maybe he will sacrifice his life to save Harry. I do know that I don't want Snape to be evil.

I really liked this book. I'm glad we got a lot of backstory regarding Voldemort. I think it helps to see how he came about. I think JKR is doing a great job in bringing it all together for the final book.

I hope it's really long LOL. I hated finishing the HBP knowing I'd have to wait forever for the next one. I do hope that Harry destroys Voldemort and lives happily ever after with Ginny. I am really hoping that JKR does not kill off one of Harry's friends (Ron, Hermione, Neville). I think Harry has suffered enough loss.

Phisigprincess - I never suspected Snape as the HBP. He was probably the only person NOT on my list. I don't know why I never thought of him, but it makes perfect sense now that I have read the book.
coliebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

As soon as the Half-blood prince was good at potions I knew it had to do something with Snape.

Bump! Come on guys - there should be lots to talk about here!

~Amanda
septbride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by septbride2002
As soon as the Half-blood prince was good at potions I knew it had to do something with Snape.

Bump! Come on guys - there should be lots to talk about here!

~Amanda

So did I!

Haha! The poor Prime Minister. I don't blame him for being upset that all the horrible stuff going on in the country is being caused by these strange wizards. Not sure what I think of the new MoM. So far, I don't like him that much.

Yup. I believe he did and was giving Harry as much knowledge as he could to set forth without him.

3) Harry and Ginny - Very cute. Hopefully Harry can save the world in the next book and they can get together.

4) Ron and Lavender - Blech. I think that Ron just hooked up with her because he was jealous of Hermione and whomever it was she was snogging.

5) Ron and Hermoine - These two would make an interesting couple. I'm rooting for them to get together, yet they seem more liek brother and sister.

6) Do you think Snape is evil? I am not sure. Throughout the book I though he was, but after reading discussions and theories, I guess it is quite possible that he is good.

I enjoyed it. I liked it better than the last one. Although I found it odd that there wasn't much about the Defense against the Dark Arts classes.

I just hope that Harry doesn't die.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:00 PM   #7
Just2554
Fred & Ginger = perfection

I thought it was interesting to see how the Muggle and Wizarding worlds mixed together. It was interesting to see how much an impact the war in one as on the other. I didn't much care for the new Minister of Magic. His non-support of Dumbledore and the fact that he tried to rope Harry in as poster boy for the Ministry didn't thrill me. It almost seems like he's making light of the Voldemort situation in exchange for making the Ministry look good.

I really enjoyed the fact that Harry and Dumbledore spent so much time together. It really solidified the fact that Dumbledore was pretty much Harry's mentor and the last guiding light in his life. I also like that Dumbledore finally accepted Harry's fate as the one who has to kill Voldemort and really opened up all kinds of sources to him in doing so. The days of shielding Harry are over and I think that Dumbledore knew his fate and wanted to give Harry as much help and information as he could to help him on his way.

I'm glad Harry and Ginny got together, I find her to be a good match for him. Harry needed a girl he felt no pressure with and who not only supported him, but had enough confidence to be with him and accept all the current aspects of his life. I hope they're not over and that she really puts up a fight for him in book 7.

Ron and Lavender provided some much needed comic relief in the book and were, imo, a giant stepping stone for Ron/Hermoine.

Ron and Hermoine are so obviously meant to be together and yet just can't seem to get their acts together. It will be interesting to see how they end up after the events in book 7.

My first instinct is to say no, I think he was simply acting on Dumbledore's orders and still has a role to play in the defeat of Voldemort. I want to think that he's going to somehow help Harry and also Draco. A recent interview with J.K. Rowling leads me to believe differently though, so I honestly don't know how I feel now.

I really enjoyed the book, moreso than OotP. I like that Harry has really grown and matured and is ready to do what he must. I liked seeing members of the Order all coming together, especially in the wake of Dumbledore's death. Alot of plot has been set up and I can't wait to see how everything is going to come together in book 7.

There is so much left to happen in book 7. I want to see Harry finally defeat Voldemort, but along the way I want to see him learn more about his family and Sirius. Rowling has also mentioned that Sirius's death and the veil will be explained, so I'm looking forward to that. I'm interested to learn more about Snape and his past,what made him the way he is and why Dumbledore trusted him so deeply. There were some heavy anvils in HBP about how Dumbledore would never truly be gone as long as people supported him so I'd like to see how that comes in to play. The whole Horcrux storyline and the final battle (which I believe will be at Hogwarts) will be interesting as well.

It's going to be a long few years.
Just2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
nocnurse
Mouseketeer

It seemed like the first chapter was a way to introduce the new political set-up in the magical world. New attitude towards the threat of Voldemort. I kept thinking Rowling was drawing parallels to the current "War on Terror". The introduction of the PM seemed a tool to illuminate the "politician-ness" of Scrimgoeur. The first time I read that weird name, I was reminded how the letters of Tom Marvolo Riddle were rearranged to I am Lord Voldomort.

Definitely!

Well, Ginny's had a crush since she met him. Now that Ginny is her own person, it's nice they got together.

A device to 1. show how the kids are growing up and 2. set up the relationship between Ron and Hermione.

It seems to be an opposites attract situation. Harry and Ginny have lots in common. Ron and Hermione don't. I predict friction, misunderstanding and comic relief.

NO!! He has been playing the role and doing what Dumbledore has wanted him to. He had to "kill" Dumbledore because that is what Dumbledore wanted him to do. Snape is loyal to Dumbledore. I'm sure of it. I think his hatred of Harry is part acting; part leftover hatred of Harry's father and friends; and part resentment of doing a dangerous and important job and getting NO acknowledgement, while Harry is a hero.

I like the series. It's not great literature, but it's a compelling story. I was glad to see she narrowed the focus of this book. The pacing was improved because of it. If Rowling had continued in her tangential style, we'd need a forklift to pick this book up.

The return of Dumbledore! in some form or another.

A Disney birthday for the princess.
10 years old on July 7
nocnurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: