Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

***BOOK CLUB: Discussion of "The Jane Austen Book Club"***

Good Morning! I hope everyone had a chance to finish The Jane Austen Book Club this is where we will discuss what we thought of the book.

Here are a couple of questions to get us started. Please feel free to add any other questions or comments - we are not limited to these.

1. Allegra and Grigg seem to be different then the other 3 members of the book club, did you feel that this kept them from being accepted by the other members?

2. Did you identify with any of the characters?

3. Did you dislike any of the characters?

4. What is your opinion of the book overall?

~Amanda
septbride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
Crankyshank
love the happy bunny
We were licking our own bottles to prevent the germ freaks from stealing stuff
I have much love for Mr Clean and his magic eraser

I read it over the weekend
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
snoopy
This space for rent
I run on Judi time
Got carded (we won't go into details ;) ).
Sunshine_On my shoulders_ Makes Me Happeeee.

Ooooh, not done yet! Almost though, I'll join in the conversation later in the week. Love the format you are using Amanda!
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #4
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

Hooray!

I've never been in a book club before. How do we start?

I have to say though, there was one part that really stuck with me that I loved. The women were in their minds making fun of how Grigg (is that how you spell it) brought in the "Complete Works of Jane Austen". And then later on in the book, when Jocelyn tells him what they are reading she says "The Complete Works of Jane Austen", what else is the poor guy supposed to think? LOL!

Maybe I missed something with the audio version, but I couldn't figure out who exactly was narrating. It was always we, but everyone was in the third person.

Oops! Saw the questions later:
1. Allegra and Grigg seem to be different then the other 3 members of the book club, did you feel that this kept them from being accepted by the other members?

I'm not sure if it was because they were different, or that they just didn't have the passion for Jane Austen as the others did. I think they accepted them as people, but would get turned off whenever they would put down Jane, or say that another author was better.

Not really.

Nope.

I enjoyed it. I love Jane Austen stories, so having Jane Austen talk mixed in with interesting characters made and enjoyable book.

Last edited by LoraJ; 06-13-2005 at 08:25 AM.
LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:23 AM   #5
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJ

Maybe I missed something with the audio version, but I couldn't figure out who exactly was narrating. It was always we, but everyone was in the third person.
Nope you didn't miss a thing - I had the same problem. Who is talking? For instance at the end when Joyceln starts reading science fiction it is said something like, we understand as long as you also read other books. Who is this we? Because in all honesty I don't think Allegra would care what people read. So is the "We" Sylvia, Prudie, and Bernadette?

The "We" factor is what made me think that Grigg and Allegra were such outsiders from the group. Whenever "WE" was used it really didn't seem to represent what they would think or say.

~Amanda
Old 06-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

I felt like most of the JABC saw them as "outsiders" or people who had to be there because of an obligation. (daughter, friend, etc)

Not particularly

Grigg kind of bothered me after a while and I can't put my finger on why.

I think the most interesting part of the structure was how the "real life" stories and anecdotes always related back to the Jane Austen book they were discussing. I liked how it didn't always hit you over the head with it, but subtely tied it all together. I thought that was really pretty clever structuring. It was almost like an added bonus for JA fans and JABC readers.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisigprincess
I think the most interesting part of the structure was how the "real life" stories and anecdotes always related back to the Jane Austen book they were discussing. I liked how it didn't always hit you over the head with it, but subtely tied it all together. I thought that was really pretty clever structuring. It was almost like an added bonus for JA fans and JABC readers.
I've never read any Jane Austen books - would you mind elaborating on this a bit. No pressure! LOL!

~Amanda
Old 06-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
Crankyshank
love the happy bunny

1. Allegra and Grigg seem to be different then the other 3 members of the book club, did you feel that this kept them from being accepted by the other members? Yes and No. I don't think their "difference" kept them from being completely accepted. I think their lack of passion for Jane held them back.

2. Did you identify with any of the characters? Not really

3. Did you dislike any of the characters? I wasn't too crazy about Bernadette and I'm not sure why

I liked it. I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen with a husband that's a sci-fi reader so I could identify with a lot of the book. I do wish there was a bit more character development. I thought Prudie was left hanging towards the end of the book like once her anecdote was told the author didn't know what to do with her
Old 06-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #9
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by septbride2002
I've never read any Jane Austen books - would you mind elaborating on this a bit. No pressure! LOL!

~Amanda
Could someone do me a favor and give me the anecdotes (just a brief synopsis) of the Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and Emma chapters? I need a bit of prompting since I don't have the book in front of me and I will get back to you Amanda!!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
daughter_of_amid_chaos
very very very careful about what I post
Daniel thinks I'm a REBEL! ;)

Wow i didnt even know this was the book club choice.
I started reading it today at jury duty.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:09 PM   #11
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

Hmm, I was hoping to draw a similarity between Prudie's story and MP.... did you notice anything, LoraJ?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #12
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisigprincess
Hmm, I was hoping to draw a similarity between Prudie's story and MP.... did you notice anything, LoraJ?
Not that I could catch on to or remember. I actually just purchased the audio book for mansfield park and am going to listen to it once I finish Time Traveler's Wife.

I can't remember what the main character's relationship was with her mother. I think they were poor and she sent her off to live with rich relatives.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:13 PM   #13
Crankyshank
love the happy bunny

I thought Prudie wished her Mother sent her off to live with rich relatives like in Mansfield Park.
It's been about 20yrs since I've read MP
Old 06-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #14
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

**bump**
Old 06-25-2005, 12:14 PM   #15
daughter_of_amid_chaos
very very very careful about what I post
Daniel thinks I'm a REBEL! ;)

I HATED THIS BOOK!!!
I thought that the characters were unrelatable, it had nothing to do with Jane Austen, and it was a poor attempt at trying to write a book like the other book club books that are out such as "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: