Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Comparing the Dream to the Magic

For those of you that have been on the Magic and Dream what doesn't the Magic have that the Dream does have? What would we be missing if we chose to go on the Magic instead of the Dream? We have a teen and no little ones.

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
ptcbass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcbass View Post
For those of you that have been on the Magic and Dream what doesn't the Magic have that the Dream does have? What would we be missing if we chose to go on the Magic instead of the Dream? We have a teen and no little ones.
I wrote an in depth trip report comparing the 2 ships. The link is in my signature.

The Dream has the Aqua Duck where the Magic has the Aqua Dunk, the Dream has the mid-ship Detective Agency and the Magic does not, the Dream has the on demand movies and the Magic does not. None of this made a real difference to us but we have found that we prefer the Dream.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
I wrote an in depth trip report comparing the 2 ships. The link is in my signature.

The Dream has the Aqua Duck where the Magic has the Aqua Dunk, the Dream has the mid-ship Detective Agency and the Magic does not, the Dream has the on demand movies and the Magic does not. None of this made a real difference to us but we have found that we prefer the Dream.
Thanks so much! I will check out your trip report

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, they are different...

The Magic has recently been 'reimagined' and they've added the AquaDunk and Twist 'N Spout slide. The teens might like the AquaDunk as it's more of a thrill ride (free fall).

The Magic is a smaller ship. So less people in CC. That said, I've noticed character interactions seem more congested because there's less space to entertain lines.

Edge and Vibe have not been redone on the Magic. Vibe on the Dream (for the 14-17 group) has it's own space in the front of the ship including their own private deck area. Edge on the Dream is up on the top of one of the chimney stacks. On the Magic, Vibe is up on one of the stacks, while Edge is on the 2nd deck.

The buffet areas are both the same now (Magic is smaller). I loved Carioca's in the Magic (much better than Parrot Cay). Animator's show is different than from the Dream - it's a nice experience and much better after the redo, but a toss up for me.

There's no midship detective on the Magic...

It's hard to say and I think you cannot go wrong with either one.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

I have read where the Magic is missing the "bells and whistles" of the larger ships. After going on the Dream it will be a hard sell to my family to try the Magic. I want to be able to tell them the differences if they ask me.

Are there still 3 MDR's, a theater (2 story?) and a movie theater? Is the family pool area as big as the Dream? I know there are less people on the Magic so I thought maybe that area would be less crowded. It would be awesome for CC to have less people. That is a real selling point. Also I know that the Magic can dock at Key West and the Dream can't (or so I have heard). Since the Magic is smaller I have read that the lines are still about the same even though there are less people.

Anything else I am missing? What about the rooms. Are they as nice as the ones on the Dream? We loved the decor and the way the room was set up when we had the large porthole room on the Dream.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have read where the Magic is missing the "bells and whistles" of the larger ships. After going on the Dream it will be a hard sell to my family to try the Magic. I want to be able to tell them the differences if they ask me.

Are there still 3 MDR's, a theater (2 story?) and a movie theater? Is the family pool area as big as the Dream? I know there are less people on the Magic so I thought maybe that area would be less crowded. It would be awesome for CC to have less people. That is a real selling point. Also I know that the Magic can dock at Key West and the Dream can't (or so I have heard). Since the Magic is smaller I have read that the lines are still about the same even though there are less people.

Anything else I am missing? What about the rooms. Are they as nice as the ones on the Dream? We loved the decor and the way the room was set up when we had the large porthole room on the Dream.
Yes, there are still 3 MDRs (Lumiere's, AP & Carioca's) and of course Cabana's for breakfast and lunch and sit down dinner on certain nights. We found Cabana's to be way more crowded on the Magic than on the Dream. I don't think the theater is 2 story like it is on the Dream and there is a movie theater. My kids preferred the pool area on the Dream over the Magic. The Dream has the Mickey and Donald pool whereas the Magic only has the Donald pool I believe so it has a lot more kids in it. Of course, the pools are entirely too small on both ships. As SUAVE mentioned, the character lines are longer and the areas they are set up in are smaller. The rooms are very similar but where everything on the Dream is/was brand new, only certain things were replaced on the Magic. We loved the overall size of the Magic and that it was easy getting from point A to B.

Category 5A on the Magic

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:

We prefer the Magic's pool set-up. The Mickey Pool, now Aqualab and Pool, are on the aft side of the rear stack, while the family pool is between the two stacks. That keeps little kids out of the family pool area. For families with little kids and bigger kids, the Dream is nice because both pool are together, so easier to manage the kids. The adult pool is a little bigger and nicer layout on the Magic, in my opinion.

We recently sailed the Magic, after reimagining, and took a TON of photos of the ship. You can see them here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3804808&type=1
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much! Great feedback and information! I will check out the photo's too. You guys are always helpful and the best!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

The Dream is DEFINITELY a better choice than the Magic for teens. Although the Magic has some superhero tie-ins that the others don't. But pirate night is MUCH cooler with Jack Sparrow sparring with pirates on the deck of the Dream instead of characters dancing and Mickey coming down the zipline on the Magic. The show productions are better and bigger too. AP with Crush is cooler than dancing stick figures too, although the technology is great.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
eroller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
We prefer the Magic's pool set-up. The Mickey Pool, now Aqualab and Pool, are on the aft side of the rear stack, while the family pool is between the two stacks. That keeps little kids out of the family pool area. For families with little kids and bigger kids, the Dream is nice because both pool are together, so easier to manage the kids. The adult pool is a little bigger and nicer layout on the Magic, in my opinion.

We recently sailed the Magic, after reimagining, and took a TON of photos of the ship. You can see them here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3804808&type=1

Great pics thank you! As a partnered adult with no kids I think the MAGIC will be a better experience over the DREAM. The adult-only pool is much better and new new nightclubs look awesome. Also I think the MAGIC will feel much less crowded and the cabins are a tad larger.

We loved our multiple cruises on the DREAM, but our first Disney cruise was on the WONDER and we fell in love with the entire experience. In many ways we preferred the smaller ship, but of course the DREAM has the WOW factor. I think the MAGIC will be a perfect mix between the two. At least I hope so!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Oh I did forget AquaDUNK. While DUCK is fun and relaxing, DUNK is well... :: So that is a bit more adventurous in favor of the Magic.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #12
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
The Dream is DEFINITELY a better choice than the Magic for teens. Although the Magic has some superhero tie-ins that the others don't. But pirate night is MUCH cooler with Jack Sparrow sparring with pirates on the deck of the Dream instead of characters dancing and Mickey coming down the zipline on the Magic. The show productions are better and bigger too. AP with Crush is cooler than dancing stick figures too, although the technology is great.
My son would probably like the Vibe on the Dream better because it is such a larger area. Now if they let me go down the zipline on the Magic that would be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroller View Post
Great pics thank you! As a partnered adult with no kids I think the MAGIC will be a better experience over the DREAM. The adult-only pool is much better and new new nightclubs look awesome. Also I think the MAGIC will feel much less crowded and the cabins are a tad larger.

We loved our multiple cruises on the DREAM, but our first Disney cruise was on the WONDER and we fell in love with the entire experience. In many ways we preferred the smaller ship, but of course the DREAM has the WOW factor. I think the MAGIC will be a perfect mix between the two. At least I hope so!
It is funny how your first cruise really does influence how much you love that ship (or ones in the same category). Since the Dream was our first and we LOVED it I am not sure we could feel the same way about the smaller ships. I would love to try the Fantasy to see how it compares though.

Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: