Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
tigertirz
Earning My Ears

Why are Coronado Springs reviews so iffy?

We are booked there for 3 nights in August. Are people expecting more or is it really a hit or miss type of resort?
tigertirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
wdwjeffc37
DisneyWorldFan

We love CSR. We have never really had a bad experience there. Some people don't think the theming is "Disney" enough. I know you can have a bad experience anywhere, but if you don't have unreasonable expectations you won't be disappointed. Look at the positives and have a great trip.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
DPickering
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertirz View Post
We are booked there for 3 nights in August. Are people expecting more or is it really a hit or miss type of resort?
Imho its an ok place but it lacks the magic of many of the other Disney properties as the theming is pretty minimal. Plus many of the rooms are just old and tired. I've never stayed there but I visited probably 7 or 8 co-workers rooms during a conference. I was frankly shocked at the variance in quality.
DPickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPickering View Post
Imho its an ok place but it lacks the magic of many of the other Disney properties as the theming is pretty minimal. Plus many of the rooms are just old and tired. I've never stayed there but I visited probably 7 or 8 co-workers rooms during a conference. I was frankly shocked at the variance in quality.
This. There's really nothing wrong with the place. To me it lacks Disneyness.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Struggling with booking a stay here for the January Marathon week. It's where our charity group is staying, and I'm ok with the look and feel of the resort. I think it's quite beautiful actually. What I'm concerned about is the reviews I'm reading about seem to frequently mention 'mold', 'unpleasant room odor' and 'worn and tired' in reference to the rooms. We spend a lot of time in the room after all the races, resting and hanging out...and a room that was less than clean and maintained would not be a good thing.

I know there are always good and bad reviews to every resort, but I start to wonder when I see quite a few negative ones saying the same thing~

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #6
dakotix
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsGal View Post
This. There's really nothing wrong with the place. To me it lacks Disneyness.
We love CSR. And for us it is because you're not hit over the head with mouse ears at every turn. It's a classy moderate with subtle Disney touches. The pool is awesome, the quiet pools are great if you prefer, well, quiet. And the gym is pretty nice as well. The landscaping is impeccable too as with all Disney properties.

The rooms are one of the nicest you will come across at a moderate as well. I like how there are pocket doors separating the bathroom area rather than just a curtain like you see at most other moderate resorts. The rooms feel bigger too. Also because this resort is so huge and spread out, you don't feel crowded. Of course we go at off peak times so that may be different story during peak times of the year.
1978 - DL Blue Stroller!1982 - Intl. Drive1984 - Intl. Drive1986 - Intl. Drive1988 - Intl. Drive1992 - Intl. Drive1994 - Port Orleans1996 - Port Orleans2000 - Port Orleans/ Contemporary2002 All Star2006 - DTD 2013 - Pop/ Coronado Springs2014 - Coronado Springs
dakotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
wcbeard
Earning My Ears

Coronado Springs is my favorite moderate resort. It also has a Conference Center, so there are large groups of business people there at times. I think it has a more upscale, adult feel than other moderates like Caribbean Beach (which I really didn't like my stay at Caribbean Beach). It's usually just my husband and I going to Disney together.
wcbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
dansdad
DIS Veteran

There isn't a resort at WDW that will have all positive reviews. Plus if you're only looking at review sites, people are definitely more inclined to post a review if they had a negative experience over a positive experience.

Just look at the limited amount of replies to this thread already, it's mixed.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertirz View Post
Are you referring to the meaningless reviews on Tripadvisor?

Because the reviews on DIS are overwhelmingly positive on CSR. It's the Deluxe resort at the Mod price.
saskdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
DPickering
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
Are you referring to the meaningless reviews on Tripadvisor? Because the reviews on DIS are overwhelmingly positive on CSR. It's the Deluxe resort at the Mod price.
heh Nothing personal but I always find it funny when people who don't like the TA consensus on whatever property need to write off the whole system. You might be right, I don't know, but it just sounds convenient.

And deluxe resort at the mod price? A couple of the rooms I saw, yeah, that could fit. Others , no way. One room, the worst, had worn out furniture and ripples and stains in the bottom edge of the wall outside the bathroom from water damage and smelt like a wet dog.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #11
MomTo3PrincessesInNJ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPickering View Post
heh Nothing personal but I always find it funny when people who don't like the TA consensus on whatever property need to write off the whole system. You might be right, I don't know, but it just sounds convenient.

And deluxe resort at the mod price? A couple of the rooms I saw, yeah, that could fit. Others , no way. One room, the worst, had worn out furniture and ripples and stains in the bottom edge of the wall outside the bathroom from water damage and smelt like a wet dog.
I'm going for a Disney vacation, so I looked at a site with reviews from fellow vacationers. If I were going for work I would be more interested in TA, but I think those reviews are more from a business persons perspective and not your average Orlando visitor. Most of them offer nothing up about the bus service to the parks or even the pool. IMO, it's clear that most of the reviews are written by people who are used to traveling for work and were expecting something more than a Disney moderate hotel.
January 2013, Pop!
December 2013, POR-Alligator Bayou
March 2014, Pop! {Solo}
November 2014 {Jersey Week}, Split Stay! CSR- Business Class w/Free Dining
November 2015 {Jersey Week}, Land & Sea! Hotel TBD, 3-night DCL Dream

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MomTo3PrincessesInNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
DPickering
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo3PrincessesInNJ View Post
I'm going for a Disney vacation, so I looked at a site with reviews from fellow vacationers. If I were going for work I would be more interested in TA, but I think those reviews are more from a business persons perspective and not your average Orlando visitor. Most of them offer nothing up about the bus service to the parks or even the pool. IMO, it's clear that most of the reviews are written by people who are used to traveling for work and were expecting something more than a Disney moderate hotel.
Makes sense. Ty for the elaboration and perspective. But speaking from a business travellers perspective I don't think they are "expecting something more than a Disney moderate hotel." Unless you consider something like a good Hampton Inn to be "more than a Disney moderate." That's the kind of hotel business travellers bump up to the top of an areas rankings and IMHO CSR compares unfavourably to that standard. Especially the CSR basic rooms. Interesting to note the post above from the person writing off visible wear and tear or damage as to be expected. Yeah, a non-Disney fan business traveler is going to be a lot less forgiving of that kind of thing. All that aside even tho it's not my preferred resort if you got a decent room there I don't think it would be too difficult to enjoy your stay.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #13
plumsiren
DIS Veteran

I'm curious: people keep saying that CSR isn't over-the-top Disneyfied, but really, which resorts are, besides the Values? The original 3 are iconic because, well, they're the original 3, but is there anything that overtly says 'Disney' about the other Mods or Deluxes? From what I've seen, the least Disneyfied resorts are DVC ones like OKW and SSR.
plumsiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #14
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
Are you referring to the meaningless reviews on Tripadvisor?

Because the reviews on DIS are overwhelmingly positive on CSR. It's the Deluxe resort at the Mod price.
My trick on Trip Advisor: when somebody writes a bad review, I look at the number of reviews they made. If it's less than 5, I discard it completely.

Also, when a room is THAT bad, why don't you just go to the lobby and ask to switch rooms? We've done it.

I can't believe the people who complain but are doing nothing about it.

October 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon)
May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort
December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs
April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel)
mevelandry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
Clamesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
My trick on Trip Advisor: when somebody writes a bad review, I look at the number of reviews they made. If it's less than 5, I discard it completely.

Also, when a room is THAT bad, why don't you just go to the lobby and ask to switch rooms? We've done it.

I can't believe the people who complain but are doing nothing about it.
I remember reading a bad review of CSR the complaint was the lack of sodas machines in every floor. one star just because of that. Since we don't drink sodas we did not care.

April-May 2004 All star Music. My very first time in Disney. September 2004 All star Movies. Disney + Universal. Our first weeding anniversary. January 2010. CSR. Our son first time in Disney. May 2011. CSR. Mother's Day celebration at Disney. April-May2012.CSR: My birthday celebration In Disney. November 2012. POR RGR: Thanskgiving at Disney. September 2013 CSR our 10th wedding anniversary. September 2014 POR our 11 wedding anniversary.
DH DS Me

Last edited by Clamesa; 07-22-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Clamesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: