Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

A Very Pleasant Good Alaska Cruise - May 2014 Disney Wonder TR (Updated 12/12)

A Very Pleasant Good Alaska Cruise
A May/June 2014 Disney Wonder Trip Report

Hi everyone! I’m Taylor, and you might recognize me from my past trip reports—most notably my “life report,” We Moved to Disneyland! Now What…? I’ve been absent from the DIS for a couple months to deal with personal issues and major life changes, but during that time, my wife Tracy and I also had an amazing Disney experience: we took our first Disney Cruise!

Our adventure was a 9-night sailing to Alaska on the Disney Wonder, and we loved every minute of it! From the ship to the ports of call, the entire cruise was a one-of-a-kind experience that has (I think) made us lifelong cruisers.

I’m excited to share all of our experiences with you, but I’m going to try something a little different with this trip report. After years of dealing with the limitations like 25-picture limits per post here on the DISboards, I’m going to post the updates about our cruise on a new Wordpress blog that I started (and hope to continue using to write posts that both are and aren’t Disney related).

You can find the trip report on my blog here, and you can feel free to subscribe if you like. I will keep an up-to-date table of contents here on the trip report thread, and I’ll let you all know whenever I post new updates. I also love responding to your comments as you read along, and I will continue to do so whether you comment here or on the blog itself.

I hope all you wonderful faithful readers from my other reports will join us on this adventure, but in case you’re new to my writing and need a little more information to decide if this report is right for you, here is some basic information about Tracy and me.

That’s us. We’ve been together since 2005 and married since 2010, and we figured with the timing of this cruise, we could think of it as an early anniversary celebration. As you will soon read about, our lives changed pretty drastically right before we took this cruise, but up until the beginning of June, Tracy and I were living about 10 minutes away from Disneyland in Orange, CA. We’re Premium Annual Passholders who love all the Disney Parks on both coasts. This was my first cruise and Tracy’s first Disney Cruise, and it was both of our first times to Alaska. If you’d like to hear all about it, please click here to read on!
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-12-2014 at 11:47 AM.
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

Prologue
Part I: The Last Frontier
Part II: Change Is Inevitable

May 22nd, 2014
Chapter 1: The Petite Airport

May 23rd, 2014
Chapter 2: Bus Across the Border
Chapter 3: Vancouver…

May 24th, 2014
Chapter 4: Almost There
Chapter 5: Ship of Dreams
Chapter 6: Adventures Away
Chapter 7: Setting Sail
Chapter 8: Here We Are, Now Entertain Us

May 25th, 2014
Chapter 9: Food, and More Food
Chapter 10: Bears
Chapter 11: Useless Knowledge Put to Use
Chapter 12: Hiya Fabian
Chapter 13: Who Knows Where a Dream Might Lead

May 26th, 2014
Chapter 14: Let Them Eat Mickey Waffles
Chapter 15: Afternoon Antics
Chapter 16: In Living Color

May 27th, 2014
Chapter 17: Sitka
Chapter 18: Walking Through History
Chapter 19: The Forest for the Trees
Chapter 20: Waiting for Bears
Chapter 21: Luxury Dining
Chapter 22: Boo, Seals!

May 28th, 2014
Chapter 23: Breakfast Guests
Chapter 24: Captain's Corner
Chapter 25: What Can We Af-fjord?
Chapter 26: Beware the Frozen Heart
Chapter 27: Totally Glacial
Chapter 28: Warming Up After a Cold Day

May 29th, 2014
Chapter 29: I Think We Can
Chapter 30: Prospectors, We’re Heading Your Way
Chapter 31: Dead Horse Trail
Chapter 32: One Horse Town
Chapter 33: Lazing
Chapter 34: Snow Dogs
Chapter 35: Dashing Through the... Dirt

1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-12-2014 at 11:46 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
AussieMumma
Has the travel bug

Yay! Can't wait to read your thoughts on the cruise and see your photo's. We've sailed on the Wonder twice now and Alaska is definitely on the 'must do' list, but we'd also like to try a different Disney ship! Just means a few years ahead of Disney cruises
Old 07-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
KelleyK75
DIS Veteran

I started reading your last TR but I am not sure I ever commented. Jumping in on this one. Can't wait to hear about your cruise to Alaska.

Sept 2010 - CBR

March 2014 - POR

Next trip....Hoping for a few days in Feb. 2015 and planning birthday trip Dec 2015. And hopefully one sooner.

Setting goal to run the Princess Half Marathon, 2016.
KelleyK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
gardengirl2790
Mouseketeer

So glad to have you back and glad that life's bumps have smoothed for the two of you. I look very forward to hearing more about your continued adventures.
gardengirl2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
noahdove
DIS Veteran

So far so good...I'm in
Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
BirdyGirl85
Lion King Fan <3

My husband and I have also been together since 2005 and married in 2010! Haha, I just thought that was a funny coincidence.

I have been reading your other "life" report thread, so I look forward to reading about your experience on a Disney Cruise. I have never been on a Disney Cruise, but I hope I can someday.
BirdyGirl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
we3peas
Mouseketeer

Taylor every time I try to go to the blog it says page not found. Is there a trick I need to know?

I followed you on DIS and would love to read about your adventures on a cruise as we are avid cruisers. Went to Alaska last September and had a great time. Did the Panama Canal this year in April, a must do cruise for everyone.
we3peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
EarsMcKee
Earning My Ears

Very curious -- I get the same error message when I click on the link to the blog. Have I done something wrong too? I'm looking forward to reading the trip report as we leave in 40 days for our Alaska cruise!
EarsMcKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Sorry for the error message. I realized I spelled the domain wrong...

It should be fixed now!

Old 07-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
eeyorefanuk
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to more. Sorry you had a bad start to 2014

eeyorefanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to the rest of the story. I feel like I'm reading a good novel
Old 07-06-2014, 12:18 AM   #13
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieMumma View Post
Yay! Can't wait to read your thoughts on the cruise and see your photo's. We've sailed on the Wonder twice now and Alaska is definitely on the 'must do' list, but we'd also like to try a different Disney ship! Just means a few years ahead of Disney cruises
Glad you're reading along! We fell in love with the Wonder, and thought it was a great ship to introduce us to cruising. I agree that we want to try other ones too, but we'd definitely sail on the Wonder again too. Oh darn, guess we'll just have to take several more cruises...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyK75 View Post
I started reading your last TR but I am not sure I ever commented. Jumping in on this one. Can't wait to hear about your cruise to Alaska.
Thanks so much for reading and commenting I hope you enjoy hearing about our adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl2790 View Post
So glad to have you back and glad that life's bumps have smoothed for the two of you. I look very forward to hearing more about your continued adventures.
I'm glad life is getting back to normal as well. The cruise was the perfect way to forget our troubles and just have an awesome time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
So far so good...I'm in
Great! Hope you enjoy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdyGirl85 View Post
My husband and I have also been together since 2005 and married in 2010! Haha, I just thought that was a funny coincidence.

I have been reading your other "life" report thread, so I look forward to reading about your experience on a Disney Cruise. I have never been on a Disney Cruise, but I hope I can someday.
That is an interesting coincidence! Well, happy 4th/9th anniversary to you guys!

I'm glad that you hopped over here from the other thread, and I HIGHLY recommend you try a Disney Cruise sometime. As you'll soon see, it was an unforgettable experience for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3peas View Post
Taylor every time I try to go to the blog it says page not found. Is there a trick I need to know?

I followed you on DIS and would love to read about your adventures on a cruise as we are avid cruisers. Went to Alaska last September and had a great time. Did the Panama Canal this year in April, a must do cruise for everyone.
Hopefully you got the link to work after I fixed it. I accidentally misspelled "mouseketeer" in the original URL, and I couldn't let that stand so I had to go back and fix everything

We would LOVE to do the Panama Canal cruise! I think it's definitely on our list of must-do's for the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarsMcKee View Post
Very curious -- I get the same error message when I click on the link to the blog. Have I done something wrong too? I'm looking forward to reading the trip report as we leave in 40 days for our Alaska cruise!
Sorry about the error. I hope it's fixed now and that we can get you pumped for your Alaska cruise coming up! You're in for an awesome adventure!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorefanuk View Post
Looking forward to more. Sorry you had a bad start to 2014
Sometimes that's just the way it goes We're looking forward to the rest of the year being much better Thanks for reading along, and I hope you enjoy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapycruiser View Post
Looking forward to the rest of the story. I feel like I'm reading a good novel
Aww, thanks I hope you have fun reading along and reliving our awesome cruise with us!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:19 AM   #14
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Update 7/5

I just posted an update to the blog. Check it out here!

Old 07-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #15
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Update 7/9

Another update posted here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: