Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Lillabelle0
Mouseketeer

Is it worth it?

I've never taken a cruise before but would like to take my children. The cruises are pricey so I've Never booked. As a single parent, I've always been concerned about the safety of myself and DD (13) and DS (11). So, is the price worth it or would other cruise lines be just as good? I also have always had a hard time giving up my Disney world time! Decisions! Decisions!! Please share your experiences so that I may finally make a choice! Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
mickyminnie890
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - That is was all started by a mouse" ~ Walt Disney

In my opinion I think that it is worth it. I just got back from my second cruise. It's just my DM and I (DD 16) going. Yes, the Disney Cruise are on the pricey side, and that other cruise lines are quite cheaper. I am a huge Disney fanatic so I would rather go to the DCL. Although I do want to try Royal Carribbean they have a lot of place to eat, and activites to do that the DCL does not have. Plus, it's little bit cheaper than the DCL. The cruise fare that you pay online or through a travel agent will cover most of the trip. Your dinner, room is all paid at the same time. The only thing you would pay for on the trip is extra drinks onboard (but you can go to the pool deck, and get water from the fountain which is free) also of course alcoholic drinks are not free. Snacks at the concession stands in from of the Theatre/Theater. In-room service, gift shop, onshore excursions too. You can check all of this out on the DCL website. The CM on the ship are wonderful they will help you as much as possible, and make your trip very magical! The shows in the theatre are amazing, and the food during breakfast, lunch, and dinner are delicious. During dinner they would put you with other families who are just going who are just like you single parent, and childrens around your kids age. There are Tween/Teen clubs for you DD and DS. Since they are 11-13 they would go to Edge, and it's a tween hangout where they have activites, games, etc. if you want alone time. There are also family activites for you to do. For you there is the adults swimming pool, spa, and clubs. If you don't want to do these things it's fine you can spend more family time. Castaway Cay (Disney's private island) is very beautiful, and they even serve you lunch on the island too. It's a BBQ and it's very delicious. There are lots of activites to do ashore such as snorkeling, Pelican Plunge (slides for kids and family to go on), adult beach 18+ (Serenity Bay), bicycling, etc. I think that the DCL is worth it and to keep checking the prices.

WDW - Lost count of how many times I've gone there.
Disney Dream-3/28/14, 6/26/14
mickyminnie890 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
Lillabelle0
Mouseketeer

Thank you Minniemickey. I didn't realize they would seat us with other single families. I have looked over the info and even sent for the planning DVD but have always hesitated. I appreciate your input.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
elevenisnow
Earning My Ears

I have done one cruise so far when my son was 15. It was a 3 day on the dream and it was amazing. The food is pretty much all good and if you don't like something they will just bring you something else. Kids can order for themselves anywhere and mine really loved that!! They can also get free sodas on one of the upper decks and you can carry on alcohol if you want. Joining a fish extender exchange just takes it over the top! It's been over a year and we still talk about it. Best trip ever!! Overall, if you're careful, it can cost less than the hotel, food and Parks and it's amazing experience! And mom gets catered to as well as the kids :-)
elevenisnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We LOVE cruising Disney. It's going to be hard to cruise other lines, and I definitely won't go on any more cheap carnivals! I can go for the same money, I just have to sacrifice a few crappy carnival sea days. (So our balcony room on Disney Dream cost the same as our interior 7 day on Carnival Dream. Our interior Disney Magic 4 day was in the same ballpark too.)

We found ways to help get the price down. Our first cruise was a guarantee sail cruise (VGT, guaranteed veranda somewhere on the ship, one flat rate, paid in full due right then to fill the ship, and no refunds.) We opened our a free Disney card because we could book the cruise on it for interest free for six months. And the rewards kept coming! We used the card all year, and I opened up my own premier card. In about 14 months, in time for our next Disney cruise, we had gotten a total of $933 in benefits which we used towards our cruise deposit, our cruise pay in full, our Disney tickets, and then our dining while at the parks. We have really gotten our money's worth out of those cards and continue to use them.

So my suggestion? If you really want to try it, if you can only afford a 3 or 4 day, do that! Its WONDERFUL! It made a 7 day on another cruise line feel like a snore fest! And if you can and want to, take advantage of the Disney Chase cards for their free interest for 6 months and building rewards to use towards the cruise. If you can't get a snort notice guarantee sail at a cheap rate, be sure and go off season (when school is in preferably) and book as far as you can. We booked our last cruise 9 months ahead of time and saved lots of money! So either book far in advance or just a few weeks before sailing.

You will probably be amazed with the updated Magic! Our Dream cruise was still better than that, we LOVED it! But they were both great. Fantasy is my dream ship sometime.

Don't forget that this is the Meet and Greet page, and so this would really be better under the DISNEY CRUISE LINE forum itself.

I hope you get to go some time. Its SO MUCH FUN! Even just for a few days!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
mickyminnie890
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - That is was all started by a mouse" ~ Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillabelle0 View Post
Thank you Minniemickey. I didn't realize they would seat us with other single families. I have looked over the info and even sent for the planning DVD but have always hesitated. I appreciate your input.
Yeah we just got back from 3-night Bahamian cruise. Since it was just my mom and I. They put us with another family that was just mother and daughter (my age) and a family of 4 with 2 girls my age too. We became friends and hanged out throughout the cruise and we numbers. It's a really fun experience!

WDW - Lost count of how many times I've gone there.
Disney Dream-3/28/14, 6/26/14
mickyminnie890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Oilcounter
Deck 9 Balcony Fisherman

We are slated to take our 2nd Disney Cruise in Nov'15. The first one was 5 years ago and we had DD(5) and DD(3) with us. We took a 3 night cruise and couldnt have had a better time. DD3 doesnt really remember the trip; except through pictures we took. We even created an actual "Hard Cover Book" of our trip for the In-Laws that came along. I'm definitely NOT the cruising-vacationer type, but I think I got hooked on Disney day 1!!

From the horror stories of friends who do Carnival cruises; I'm glad my experience with Disney is head and shoulders (and Ears) above the others.
WDW Orlando Jun'00
WDW Orlando Mar'89
WDW Orlando Aug'84
DL Anaheim Jul'80

Oilcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Lillabelle0
Mouseketeer

Thanks oilcounter. I think it's the horror stories that has kept me from other likes. I guess I will start saving my money!! Thanks again to all of you. I'm convinced and believe I will feel safer. Now to book our cruise!! 😁

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: