Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
fluffykalie
Mouseketeer

bypass check in

hello I was just wondering what other people think of this test.
my thoughts are:
-I'm really hopeing it does well and they include other resorts soon.
-Ill be staying at *** and aoa and okw in october. we spent a long time in the hotel lobby on our last trip we had a new cm i think. We walked straight up to the check in desk no line. And had to go back and get our keys to the world fixed twice at cbr. She wasnt activateing them all at once so when she activated one she deactivated the others. She was very nice though.
-I know a lot of people have smart phones to pull up maps to find there way around the resort. I think it will be nice if they included the maps in my disney experince too. Also it might be a good idea if they put maps in the lobby and mabey the food court to help people find there way around. I think puting maps any where else will cause them to get thrown all over the resort.
fluffykalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I don't like it at all. Maybe I'm nuts, but I enjoy the personal touch at check in. And somehow when my room isn't ready and they say they'll send me a text, I never get them
Most of the front desk CMs are great, and just adds to my experience.
And adds up to more job loss, and less people to help you at front desk if you need assistance.
Disney continues to cut service yet also continues to raise prices. I hear they're also looking to discontinue monorail conductors and automating it a sad day.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
Pkltm
Canadian Mouse Girl

As a Canadian we will not be eligible for this as we don't get our magic bands inn advance, honestly I am happy this will not be an options for us. I love the check in process, it adds to the magic.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I'm loving this innovation. It will let me get to the parks right away and I can enjoy park time rather than the check-in line time.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

This is nuts to me. Even though I don't really need a resort map or information about the parks, I do want to know my room/ building before bringing my bags to it. I often switch rooms or buildings at check in. Also last week we had problems with our magic bands that wouldn't have been discovered until we were at the park- thank goodness for CM's noticing at checkin. They also activated our bands? We customized our bands and did online check in and still had to do this. I guess they figure customer service isn't getting any better so let's just bypass guest CM interaction... Okay being dramatic but isn't the guest interaction what use to make Disney special?? I'm only saying all of this because I've been trying to be optimistic about all of these changes/ MDE and our first full trip using it was definitely more stressful with lots of "glitches"

Edit- all that to say we still love disney and we'll continue to go for probably forever- I just want Disney to bring back a customer service initiative

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

Last edited by polyfor4; 06-14-2014 at 03:35 PM.
polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
illinidp
DIS Veteran

If you want to go to the front desk to check in you will still be able to do that. This is an option to check in online. We could have done this and it would have worked fine. All we did at check in is get our room number and a folder of information. The room number could have been texted to us and the folder could have been left on the table. We would rather start our vacation than wait in line, so we will like this feature.
illinidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

Personally, I like it because my line at check in line will be shorter.

Most people don't care about their room location. Most people - do not include "us" on these boards.

Our family cares about their room location (almost done to the exact room number) so I'll go through the front desk to check my room location first before actually going to the room.
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
boltfan
DIS Veteran

I like it as an option. Obviously, if I was new to a resort I'd prefer the human interaction of showing me where my room is on the map, and other important resort info, but we always go to our favorite resort and it would be nice to skip all of that now "useless" information. The sooner I'm in my room, the sooner I'm able to hit the pool and parks!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
dsm925
Earning My Ears

I love the concept. On my next trip, I am flying into Orlando after work. I will not be getting to the resort with my family until 10pm. My son normally goes to sleep at 8:00 and we have big day planned for Thursday. Last time we stayed in Disney, I did the same thing. The check out took forever because of the light staffing at night. I left my son sleeping on a couch in the lobby while I checked in. By the time we got to the room, it was almost 11:00. Life would have been a lot easier if I could have gone directly to my room.
dsm925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

Not a fan. Feels like Disney is going the way of the bag-it-yourself-grocerystores. Isn't the reason we all keep paying through the nose for a Disney vacation is the personal touch and superior service? Without it you may as well be anywhere with a few rides and some over priced food.

So, now there is no need for eye contact on entry, we all just look for the green mickey...same for ride entrances.

Food is able to be ordered at kiosks in at least some locations, no need to waste words or smiles.

Now, your "welcome home" is not a sure thing....nope, plug into your electronic device that really will be the focus of your trip, might as well get used to it.

All done for "guest convenience" don't you know! I remember when the 1st self-check outs started coming into stores it began an era of no personal interaction or acknowledgement that a customer was choosing to shop at store X over store Z. Now in many instances it almost feels like you the customer should be grateful for the opportunity to spend your money there rather than the store being appreciative of your business. Labor got cut back to the point where you almost always have to wait an extended time to ask a question. Can't recall the last time someone asked me if I needed help finding something or just smiled and said hello.

While I am aware *you can still go to the desk* why am I thinking this will continue what I feel is a slide in general customer service? How long until people coming to the desk are a problem, or an interruption? I mean after all, if you insist on going to the front desk, are you not running contrary to the system? You must be a difficult customer, or be looking for something special or a technical Ludite, etc. I really think Disney is missing the mark on this. If a person is going to pick an onsite resort and being willing to pay the premium rate I would think Disney would WANT to make sure they gave you a personal welcome and set the tone of what is to come on your very expensive vacation.
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014
Back to Alaska on the Wonder in 2015

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......

Last edited by Karlzmom; 06-14-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Karlzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
MimiOfTwo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzmom View Post
Not a fan. Feels like Disney is going the way of the bag-it-yourself-grocerystores. Isn't the reason we all keep paying through the nose for a Disney vacation is the personal touch and superior service? Without it you may as well be anywhere with a few rides and some over priced food.

So, now there is no need for eye contact on entry, we all just look for the green mickey...same for ride entrances.

Food is able to be ordered at kiosks in at least some locations, no need to waste words or smiles.

Now, your "welcome home" is not a sure thing....nope, plug into your electronic device that really will be the focus of your trip, might as well get used to it.

All done for "guest convenience" don't you know!
My thoughts exactly!
MimiOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We were there in November, in the online check-in line, and they had two CMs working the check-in desk at CSR. There were two families up checking in, and one ahead of me. It took me 45 minutes to get to the window, check-in, and be on my way. I found that all the people ahead of me were not familiar with magic bands and had no idea how to use them or FP+. This required long winded explanations from the CMs, severly holding up the line. I got a shortened (but still long) explanation when I checked in, even though I had ordered mine in advance and was quite familiar. Now that the bands have been around for a while, I'd imagine they went to alleviate people of these speeches and let them bypass, while still having the option to serve in person the people who know nothing about them.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
shyjade
DIS Veteran

I am looking forward to this technology. We enjoy getting to the parks as soon as possible on arrival day since we are ready for bed super early (usually up by 2m to catch our early flight down).

We don't care if the room isn't ready when we arrive, so long as the room is ready after we return from the park (early evening). I would rather have to stop at the desk at 6pm for our room assignment (that didn't arrive by text) than stand in a long line when first arriving and before we head to the parks. And since we always book the room category we want, we have never had to change rooms at check-in because we didn't get the location we wanted. (For example, don't want to be stuck in 80s/90s at Pop? I book preferred instead of hoping I'll get all of my requests met).

While this service certainly isn't for everyone, I would choose to use it to avoid standing in line behind new guests who are overwhelmed and a bit clueless. I do my research in advance so I'm ready to hit the ground running. I know that is not the case for a lot of families, especially non-Disers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: