Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
happily single
Left foot first!

Help with Ds15-personal care

My sweet ds15 has several diagnosis (mild mental retardation, autism). He is able to self-care with lots of prompting. But he has alot of wiry facial hair. I have put off the thought of shaving but he just looks unkempt.

Dont laugh (or judge) but I seriously thought about using facial Nair while he sleeps. I just dont want him shaving ( or me shaving him) at this point.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to tame or remove facial hair?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
happily single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

How about an electric razor? Some of the more modern ones are very unlikely to leave nicks. My mother recently got one to help my father shave because he can't do it for himself anymore. My nephews all recommended one -- I can try to find out the model for you.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
happily single
Left foot first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
How about an electric razor? Some of the more modern ones are very unlikely to leave nicks. My mother recently got one to help my father shave because he can't do it for himself anymore. My nephews all recommended one -- I can try to find out the model for you.
Thank you lanejudy. Was hoping to avoid shaving, but I suppose an electric razor may be a better choice than a regular razor.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
happily single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

We have to use an electric razor for my brother too. The chemicals safe for faces just aren't strong enough for his facial hair, and tweezing or waxing isn't an option.

Once a week he gets the razor to shave. It's enough. It stays locked up when he's not using it, as he's been known to use it to give himself a haircut....
Old 06-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Both of my special needs DS's are in their 20's and we also use an electric razor on both. It will take a few weeks for the skin to get used to the electric razor, but it will be fine. Would never think of using a chemical remover or a regular razor. YIKES!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:07 AM   #6
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

We also use an electric razor. DH razor shaves him on Sunday so he gets a good close one each week, then I use the electric on him each morning before he goes to his program. He tries but misses most of it (lucky him has a heavy beard) so it's not a good option for him to do on his own.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
kandb
DIS Veteran

I def would not use Nair. It has a very strong smell and I doubt he would sleep right through leaving it on for the required 20 minutes or so. If he touched his face and it got in his eyes, I am sure it would really burn. How about cutting the hairs while he is watching TV. Don't know if you are talking a lot of hair. You could at least cut the ones that are the longest/most noticeable.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I agree with the other posters. I work in a facility where one of our units has patients with brain injuries. An electric razor is the safest choice.

Facial Nair ís for finer, thinner hair and I doubt it would do much to wiry facial hair. I also agree with the other posters that he would probably not sleep thru it because of the smell and the sensation. All that would make it hazardous to use.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:10 AM   #9
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happily single View Post
My sweet ds15 has several diagnosis (mild mental retardation, autism). He is able to self-care with lots of prompting. But he has alot of wiry facial hair. I have put off the thought of shaving but he just looks unkempt.

Dont laugh (or judge) but I seriously thought about using facial Nair while he sleeps. I just dont want him shaving ( or me shaving him) at this point.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to tame or remove facial hair?
My brother will not tolerate an electric razor due to the noise. He becomes distressed and throws himself around which is dangerous and he has ended up cut. We find the best way to shaving cream and a regular razor which is just tolerates.

Also, we find that usual regular shampoo on the beard hair makes it less "wiry" and makes it softer, which helps with appearance.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: