Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Mousemom
DIS Veteran

Using cell phones in Key West

Probably a really silly question but I am wondering about using phones and e-mail in Key West. I know that while at sea we will be charged internationally but when we port at Key West for the day can we use our phones and be charged for calling within the United States? It would be nice to check in at home one last time before heading to the Bahamas.

Last edited by Mousemom; 05-10-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added a couple words to make more clear
Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Hi Mousemom! Love your name.

Yes, since Key West is a US port you will have regular cell service while there. You can double check on your phone when you turn it on. It should show your carrier rather than the Cellular at Sea or international carriers you will see at other times.
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Made Up Name
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemom View Post
Probably a really silly question but I am wondering about using phones and e-mail in Key West. I know that while at sea we will be charged internationally but when we port at Key West for the day can we use our phones and be charged for calling within the United States? It would be nice to check in at home one last time before heading to the Bahamas.
I would check with your cell phone provider. Some of the cutrate plans may not have service in Key West. Virgin and Sprint come to mind. If you have AT&T, you should be just fine.
Made Up Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made Up Name View Post
I would check with your cell phone provider. Some of the cutrate plans may not have service in Key West. Virgin and Sprint come to mind. If you have AT&T, you should be just fine.
Since Key West is part of Florida I believe that even the cutrate plans will work. Islands like St. Thomas/St. John could be a different story, but Key West is actually part of a state so there should be no issues.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
snchpnz
Mouseketeer

No, you won't be able to use your phone in Key West. Unfortunately due to the proximity to the island of Cuba all cellphone coverage in Key West is provided by the Cuban Government. Because of the embargo it is illegal for you to conduct any financial transactions with the Cuban government. It is impossible for ordinary tourists to pay the Cuban Government for their services without breaking the monetary transaction rule. (Although you can work around this by buying counterfeit Cuban cellphones from shady street vendors.) Beware that you will not be able to bring the Cuban cellphone back into the continental U.S. (just throw it overboard when you are done with it). Also, if you attempt to place a call while in Key West with your U.S. cellphone it will be confiscated by U.S. authorities and returned to you at the end of your trip. *Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.

Last edited by snchpnz; 05-10-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added shipping times
snchpnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snchpnz View Post
No, you won't be able to use your phone in Key West. Unfortunately due to the proximity to the island of Cuba all cellphone coverage in Key West is provided by the Cuban Government. Because of the embargo it is illegal for you to conduct any financial transactions with the Cuban government. It is impossible for ordinary tourists to pay the Cuban Government for their services without breaking the monetary transaction rule. (Although you can work around this by buying counterfeit Cuban cellphones from shady street vendors.) Beware that you will not be able to bring the Cuban cellphone back into the continental U.S. (just throw it overboard when you are done with it). Also, if you attempt to place a call while in Key West with your U.S. cellphone it will be confiscated by U.S. authorities and returned to you at the end of your trip. *Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
This is simply not true. We had regular AT&T reception in Key West and used our phones with no issues.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
This is simply not true. We had regular AT&T reception in Key West and used our phones with no issues.
They were kidding.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
: rotfl:
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You are actually incorrect.

If you talk on the phone with your back facing Cuba (just ask around, people will tell you which direction it is), the cell signal will reverb off a US tower and co-synchronize with your US carrier causing a loss of Cuban signal dissonance. That creates a zone of inequity which allows calls to be made that bypasses the monetary transaction rule.

I wish I had known about this, I threw my cell phone overboard and a gust of wind blew it back towards the ship where in dented one of the lifeboats. I was charged a "lifeboard restoration fee, Cuban enhanced" (there is a tax by the Cuban government whenever one of their cell phones damages a life boat).

You have been warned.

twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
brianvdb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
You are actually incorrect.

If you talk on the phone with your back facing Cuba (just ask around, people will tell you which direction it is), the cell signal will reverb off a US tower and co-synchronize with your US carrier causing a loss of Cuban signal dissonance. That creates a zone of inequity which allows calls to be made that bypasses the monetary transaction rule.

I wish I had known about this, I threw my cell phone overboard and a gust of wind blew it back towards the ship where in dented one of the lifeboats. I was charged a "lifeboard restoration fee, Cuban enhanced" (there is a tax by the Cuban government whenever one of their cell phones damages a life boat).

You have been warned.

For those that may be unclear... this too, was a joke.

DISboards cannot be held responsible for any water damage caused to cell phones as a result of taking the above post seriously. Any reverbage, restoration fees, or zones of inequity that may occur on your cruise are purely coincidental. Prices and participation may vary.
brianvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made Up Name View Post
Too bad AT&T service sucks in Atlanta, GA. I have Verizon now but I'd go with the "cutrate" of Sprint and Virgin before I'd go back to AT&T.

OP- I'm not aware of any cell phone plan that won't work in the state of Florida. FWIW, I have called home each time I've been in Key West.

Here are links to coverage maps:

Looks like you're good to go with Sprint, Verizon, Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, etc.:

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...er/4g-lte.html

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check...phone-coverage

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html
Old 05-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #12
disfamilyfun
Earning My Ears

Your phone should work. I have sprint and was able to use my phone without extra charges in St.Thomas and PR. key West should be like the rest of her US
disfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
JanyJan
Mouseketeer

We have AT&T and used our cell phones in Key West last year with no problems.
JanyJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #14
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Thank you for the Sat night entertainment This was awesome!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #15
CF'er
Mine's so padded I'm afraid the heat would melt them

We are sailing from Port Canaveral and our first port is Key West. Since we will be sailing down the coast will our cell phones still use land towers or the one on the ship or is it the luck of the draw?

CF'er is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: