Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
mikewdw
wdw coach

kids clothes at dinner? cruise casual for them?

planning first cruise ever in few weeks. what is appropriate for kids to wear at dinner? daughter 10, boys 8. are nice t shirts and khaki shorts ok for boys or should it be pants and pullovers?
mikewdw
'02 WL
CHRISTMAS '02 AS SPORTS
'03 BC
CHRISTMAS '04 POP CENTURY
'05 CBR
CHRISTMAS '06/NEW YEARS DAY '07 AS MUSIC
THANKSGIVING '07 AS MOVIES
CHRISTMAS '08 POP
CHRISTMAS '09 POR
'10 POR
'11 POR
'12 POR
'13 BC
mikewdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewdw View Post
planning first cruise ever in few weeks. what is appropriate for kids to wear at dinner? daughter 10, boys 8. are nice t shirts and khaki shorts ok for boys or should it be pants and pullovers?
mikewdw
The only dress code (and I use that term loosely) in the main dining rooms is "no tank tops or swimwear for dinner". You'll see pretty much everything else. Even on formal nights.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
Stinkerbe11
DIS Veteran

My son (9) wears khakis and a button down shirt on casual nights and a suit on formal night. My daughter usually wears a princess dress or more formal dress on formal night.

You will definitely see everything from formal wear to jean shorts and maybe even a swimsuit My advice is to choose something that your family would feel comfortable wearing to a nice restaurant.

Wonder Mexican Riviera(2011), Magic Eastern(2012), Wonder Pacific Coast(2014), Wonder Alaska(2014), Wonder Vancouver Repo(2014)
Stinkerbe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
MattMatts-Momma
311 Miles from the Wilderness Lodge!!

My son (11) wore nice shorts and a golf shirt (I did make him tuck his shirt in and put on a belt, lol) on casual nights and dress pants and shirt for formal night. Daughter (8) wore nice dresses on casual nights and a black dress for formal night. They looked fine.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The only dress code (and I use that term loosely) in the main dining rooms is "no tank tops or swimwear for dinner". You'll see pretty much everything else. Even on formal nights.
Exactly. Just have then wear what's comfortable.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Momof2inCT
Earning My Ears

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in - and that goes for your kids too. However, I really love when I see other families dressed up a bit like ours (nothing fancy, but not a t-shirt and shorts) and it makes everything more festive! Woo! Disney cruise, going fun places, getting dressed up in sun dresses and polos!

My inner thought on the subject (no offense meant): I grew up in the midwest and "t-shirt and shorts" was the norm for vacations...but now living on the east coast, where I live now, people would never, ever wear a t-shirt and shorts in public, ever, and certainly not without a belt and/or collar. So, I think some of this is cultural and not something to be taken personally. I don't think the midwesterners (for instance) are being rude, that's just their dress code for casual.
Momof2inCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2inCT View Post

My inner thought on the subject (no offense meant): I grew up in the midwest and "t-shirt and shorts" was the norm for vacations...but now living on the east coast, where I live now, people would never, ever wear a t-shirt and shorts in public, ever, and certainly not without a belt and/or collar. So, I think some of this is cultural and not something to be taken personally. I don't think the midwesterners (for instance) are being rude, that's just their dress code for casual.
Which is why I would hate to live on the east coast!

Really, no shorts in public? That is just very odd to me. People there wear collared shirts in the middle of summer going to the grocery store, even with all the heat and humidity?

You are very right, it is regional and cultural. I grew up in a beach town near Los Angeles, where it is 80 in the summer and 75 in the dead of winter. Now I am a teacher and wear a t-shirt and shorts almost everyday. I teach special ed, so I have to be read to run after a child / get puked on / restrain a kid on the floor if needed!

To the OP, wear what your family is comfortable in. In my humble opinion, the fight of getting us younger and older boys to dress to someones standards is just getting the meal off to a rough start. I have seen many nasty dress code threads, but never seen anyone complain about a kid wearing shorts.
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wear whatever you feel comfortable in - and that goes for your kids too. However, I really love when I see other families dressed up a bit like ours (nothing fancy, but not a t-shirt and shorts) and it makes everything more festive! Woo! Disney cruise, going fun places, getting dressed up in sun dresses and polos!

I live in Pa and almost always wear shorts and a t-shirt to all but the very best restaurants.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Momof2inCT
Earning My Ears

Twindaddy: People here wear diamonds and pearls to the grocery store! It took some serious getting used to and some inner peace about why what I wore didn't matter. lol. Fwiw, my oldest LO (4) will likely wear her princess dress from Target ever. single night. She loves that thing.
Momof2inCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
Bree
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I live in MA and people everywhere wear shorts and t-shirts, including places like Lexington and Arlington.

Anyway, we followed the "rules" for the first half of our cruise then said to heck with it. We had main seating which I found to be much more casual compared to people I saw heading toward the restaurants at second seating. I thought what my family wore and what other people wore would matter, but it really doesn't. There is more to life than clothing at dinner. My food still tasted the same and my husband and son were much happier. My husband lives in suits, dress shirts, ties and dress shoes daily. Last thing he likes to do is get dressed up for dinner. Our next cruise we are not bothering with formal, semi-formal or any type of dressy clothes. If any other diners don't like it they don't have to look at us.

Bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
I live in MA and people everywhere wear shorts and t-shirts, including places like Lexington and Arlington.

Anyway, we followed the "rules" for the first half of our cruise then said to heck with it. We had main seating which I found to be much more casual compared to people I saw heading toward the restaurants at second seating. I thought what my family wore and what other people wore would matter, but it really doesn't. There is more to life than clothing at dinner. My food still tasted the same and my husband and son were much happier. My husband lives in suits, dress shirts, ties and dress shoes daily. Last thing he likes to do is get dressed up for dinner. Our next cruise we are not bothering with formal, semi-formal or any type of dressy clothes. If any other diners don't like it they don't have to look at us.
We never dressed up. Khaki shorts and a collared shirt for DH, just shorts and shirts for the boys. I usually wore khaki capris and a nicer top.

Whatever your family is comfortable with.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Aug 2014 SSR/AKL, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 8) (DS 3)
dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We live in CT too and regularly wear shorts and t-shirts in public. Even in Fairfield and Litchfield counties we regularly see people dressed casually. It may be that shorts and t-shirts are frowned upon in your social circle, but they are definitely acceptable and prevalent throughout the state.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Must be north east. Florida is very laid back with shorts. You have to be or you'd roast to death lol.

We dressed up for dinner, probably to get a break from shorts all the time. But even after all the research and countless threads on the formalities at dinner, I don't think I noticed what a single person wore. I was too busy having fun.

I'd say the MDRs are the equivalent of a typical chain dinner restaurant (Olive Garden, Fridays, Cheesecake Factory, etc) . Wear what you'd wear to those.

Last edited by Bonniec; 05-10-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Bonniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

We dressed nicely but not "dressed up" on cruise casual nights. My DH and DS usually wore polo shirts and khaki type pants. I think especially for kids, khaki shorts would be fine! Either way you fit in, because there's a mix of everything.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #15
Made Up Name
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewdw View Post
mikewdw
They will be fine wearing that, but they will fit in more in the MDRs wearing a polo shirt or other type of collared shirt.
Made Up Name is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: