Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
mamabonehead
Earning My Ears

Will this ECV fit on WDW Buses?

We are taking our first trip to WDW in May. I am unable to walk or stand for more than about 10 minutes, so I will be renting an ECV from Scooterbug (Disney preferred provider). I chose the Park 168 because it has the longest battery life and we plan to be the from opening to closing, if possible.

However, I have read on the boards here that ECVs must fit within certain dimensions, with the length be 48". Upon further research, the Park 168 is 50", not including the basket that is on the front.

Is this going to cause a problem getting on the bus from Art of Animation to Magic Kingdom? Is a WDW preferred provider really renting out ECVs that won't be accommodated?

SECOND QUESTION:
I will not need to use the ECV in our hotel room (Art of Animation Family Suite), so I did not reserve an accessible suite. Can anyone tell me if the ECV will fit through a regular doorway so we can keep it inside our suite? Or am I going to have to have them hold it at the front desk for me whenever we're in our room?
mamabonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

For the first question, it appears to exceed the allowed dimensions for transport on wdw transportation. There is a sticky above with more information.
For you second question, sure a wdw preferred vendor would rent items that are bigger than what is allowed on a wdw bus. They rent items to people for various reasons. Many may use their own transportation or not even go to wdw.

I would find a different ecv that confirms to the specifications for transportation if that is what you want

As to the room, if the ecv you choose conforms to specifications for transportation it will fit in the room. You may want to move some furniture to make it easier to park but it will fit. I personally would not rely on baggage services to keep it and charge it overnight. It may be unplugged and then you are left without an ecv
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
angelbaby29871
Mouseketeer

I too only use the ECV for park use and around the resort. Think they prefer the ECV to be within the dimensions so they can get at least 2 ECVs on the bus, if one is larger there will be no room for the other. We got a gogo elite and took the charging cord with us. So when eating in a restaurant we would ask to plug the ECV in whilst eating and it helped to make the battery last the full day. We moved the furniture around in the room to fit in the ECV to make sure it got a full nights charge and was there in the morning rather than relying on leaving it charging at bell services in case it got unplugged.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbaby29871 View Post
I too only use the ECV for park use and around the resort. Think they prefer the ECV to be within the dimensions so they can get at least 2 ECVs on the bus, if one is larger there will be no room for the other. We got a gogo elite and took the charging cord with us. So when eating in a restaurant we would ask to plug the ECV in whilst eating and it helped to make the battery last the full day. We moved the furniture around in the room to fit in the ECV to make sure it got a full nights charge and was there in the morning rather than relying on leaving it charging at bell services in case it got unplugged.
It's not a preference. It's what the Ada requires. Disney does not have to transport or even allow in their parks a piece of equipment that is larger than the Ada definition of mobility item. If you get a bus with a lift, it may not be able to safely transport it. If you get a ramp, it may not fit on the ramp. All of these could cause injury to the person driving the ecv.
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
Toffeewoffy
Mouseketeer

I got a 3-wheeled Pride and it fitted fine on the new buses (don't know about the old ones with all the steps and the lift because we never needed one of them).

An inch or two length-wise wouldn't be a deal-breaker, but the width of the ECV would: it might be too wide to go safely up their ramps.

Regarding battery life, I charged it in our room every night, and we were often out all day right through until midnight, and not once did the battery go flat.
Toffeewoffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: