Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
DisneyRobin
Earning My Ears

Ban smoking at the MK?

Do you think smoking should be allowed at the Magic Kingdom?

I feel like there are too many smoking spots. We'll be running from one place to another and suddenly hit with cigarette smoke.

The worst one is the big smoking area next to the Dole Whip stand. After you get a dole whip, it would be nice to sit and enjoy but the whole area is filled with smokers.

Maybe they should just ban smoking in that park?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
GotLabradors
Missing Mr. Toad

I wish they'd just ban smoking at all 4 parks. If someone wants to slowly poison themselves in the privacy of their own home/car, then fine. However, I don't want their secondhand smoke affecting me or my family. Dining out or going to a bar has been so nice since outlawed smoking in restaurants here in Virginia.

1980 Contemporary 1984 Tree Houses 1986 FortWilderness 1998 Boardwalk Inn 1999 Grand Floridian (Oct.) 1999 Polynesian (Dec.)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Why just MK?

If it's going to be banned it'll have to be everywhere.

I don't think that it will be banned at this point. We will just have to find somewhere else to sit with dole whips.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
RobynPrincess
Looking around

In my selfish moments, yes I do with they would ban smoking at ALL parks but then its not exactly fair on those who do want to slowly kill themselves... but oh my, I wish wish wish they would move that one by aloha isle, there's not really a way of avoiding that one.

I am used to avoiding the smoking areas because my mum is missing half a lung and it really bothers her, but you have to go miles out of the way to avoid that one so we have ben known to hold breath and run (well me run, she sits in her wheelchair and gets pushed).
Old 02-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
DisneyRobin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Why just MK?

If it's going to be banned it'll have to be everywhere.

I don't think that it will be banned at this point. We will just have to find somewhere else to sit with dole whips.
I'd love it if they banned smoking at all parks - or made a separate area for smokers that guests wouldn't ever have to pass.

I start with the MK because it seems that Disney is trying to make that park very innocent and child-focused - as it is the only park where you can't purchase alcoholic beverages (unless you're one of the lucky few to get into the new BOG restaurant).

It doesn't make sense to me that people can smoke at various spots around the park right in front of kids but parents can't enjoy a glass of wine at most of the restaurants!

At least they could make money selling wine but Disney gets nothing out of allowing guests to smoke - other than a smelly park!

Last edited by DisneyRobin; 02-24-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
eadavis
Mickey is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLabradors View Post
I wish they'd just ban smoking at all 4 parks. If someone wants to slowly poison themselves in the privacy of their own home/car, then fine. However, I don't want their secondhand smoke affecting me or my family. Dining out or going to a bar has been so nice since outlawed smoking in restaurants here in Virginia.
Having gone to college in Virginia and worked in the bars at night, it was very nice when the smoking ban came to pass. Disney banning smoking will give them a lot of bad press. Yes, banning smoking is a smart decision and benefits the health of all our guests, but the backlash could be hazardous to Disney's health.

The E-cig trend is starting to catch on... Who knows, maybe in the next couple years Big Tobacco collapses and the "modern smoker" is using an E-cig...
Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadavis View Post
Having gone to college in Virginia and worked in the bars at night, it was very nice when the smoking ban came to pass. Disney banning smoking will give them a lot of bad press. Yes, banning smoking is a smart decision and benefits the health of all our guests, but the backlash could be hazardous to Disney's health.

The E-cig trend is starting to catch on... Who knows, maybe in the next couple years Big Tobacco collapses and the "modern smoker" is using an E-cig...
Old 02-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
Asuva03
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadavis View Post

I agree completely... while the ban would be nice for those of us non-smokers, the repercussions could be pretty horrific for Disney (and the guests - who wants to be surrounded by a bunch of people having nic-fits all day?) One can only hope that the E-cigs really catch on and the problem sort-of solves itself....
Old 02-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Having a loved one currently suffering from lung cancer, as far as Im concerned, smoking should be banned everywhere.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
Old 02-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

There is no reason for a 100% smoking ban inside the MK or other Disney theme parks. The parks are already smoke-free, except for a few designated areas at each park. Most smokers comply with the rules.

Some of Disney's smoking areas are better situated than others. Disney took the easy way out using the sides of existing walkways as smoking sections. Because a large number of people sometimes smoke in a small area, the cloud of smoke becomes unavoidable for nonsmokers just trying to get from one part of a park to another.

A smoker's day at a Disney park includes taking some cigarette breaks. Rather than banning smoking, I'd like to see Disney put in nice smoking areas that are not part of walkways. Why not make it pleasant for smokers? Have tables and chairs, umbrellas to protect from sun, and gazebos to escape from the rain. Perhaps sell coffee nearby so that smokers can relax with coffee and a cigarette -- all while not subjecting nonsmokers to unwanted smoke.

Undoubtedly, older smokers fondly remember when they could smoke everywhere, excepts in lines and on attractions. The restaurants had smoking and nonsmoking sections (but the smoke would drift throughout the restaurants). That was bad for the rest of us.

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. For some people, even short exposure to smoke can trigger medical reactions. But my happiness is not increased by making smokers miserable. Give smokers a places to smoke away from nonsmokers, and we can all be happy.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
amberpi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
There is no reason for a 100% smoking ban inside the MK or other Disney theme parks. The parks are already smoke-free, except for a few designated areas at each park. Most smokers comply with the rules.

Some of Disney's smoking areas are better situated than others. Disney took the easy way out using the sides of existing walkways as smoking sections. Because a large number of people sometimes smoke in a small area, the cloud of smoke becomes unavoidable for nonsmokers just trying to get from one part of a park to another.

A smoker's day at a Disney park includes taking some cigarette breaks. Rather than banning smoking, I'd like to see Disney put in nice smoking areas that are not part of walkways. Why not make it pleasant for smokers? Have tables and chairs, umbrellas to protect from sun, and gazebos to escape from the rain. Perhaps sell coffee nearby so that smokers can relax with coffee and a cigarette -- all while not subjecting nonsmokers to unwanted smoke.

Undoubtedly, older smokers fondly remember when they could smoke everywhere, excepts in lines and on attractions. The restaurants had smoking and nonsmoking sections (but the smoke would drift throughout the restaurants). That was bad for the rest of us.

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. For some people, even short exposure to smoke can trigger medical reactions. But my happiness is not increased by making smokers miserable. Give smokers a places to smoke away from nonsmokers, and we can all be happy.
That's pretty much my feeling on it. I don't smoke, I hate long term exposure to smoke, but ya know what? People smoke. Give them somewhere decent to do it. I always wondered why they don't use the Odyssey for instance in Epcot as a DSA. The smokers would have a nice place to enjoy, the non-smokers wouldn't be bothered.

Also, I could give a rat's potity about ecigs, they don't bother me in the least, I wish everyone at the weekly trivia night spot I frequent would adopt them. Its SO much nicer than cigarette smoke.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLabradors View Post
Scientifically prove that it affects your health negatively when it's in a dedicated area you aren't in... In the outdoors and you have my support. I'm going to bet You won't be able to do it because it's an outdoor area and the smoke is dissipated to where it has no effect on your health compared to what you breathe in naturally. In other words, the only reason to ban it is because certain people don't like it.

Smokers are confined to their own spots. It's not allowed indoors or in most of the outdoors... Most smokers respect that people don't want to smell the smoke and try to avoid exposing others to it. Yes, they're are jerks out there that don't... But them they're are jerks on all sides of any debate (general statement...not directed at anyone specifically). Luckily most are sane and rationale on both sides.

Some people have a nearly militant dislike of the habit...which translates in a complete disregard for the other party.

Should we ban all things that people feel that disgusted about? Meat? Sweets? Loud yelling and talking? Drinking? Kids? I mean the list goes on and on. At what point is enough enough?

And no I don't smoke... I used to. And even though I don't like it now, I try to respect others, especially when it has zero effect on me.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
Scientifically prove that it affects your health negatively when it's in a dedicated area you aren't in... In the outdoors and you have my support. I'm going to bet You won't be able to do it because it's an outdoor area and the smoke is dissipated to where it has no effect on your health compared to what you breathe in naturally. In other words, the only reason to ban it is because certain people don't like it.

Smokers are confined to their own spots. It's not allowed indoors or in most of the outdoors... Most smokers respect that people don't want to smell the smoke and try to avoid exposing others to it. Yes, they're are jerks out there that don't... But them they're are jerks on all sides of any debate (general statement...not directed at anyone specifically). Luckily most are sane and rationale on both sides.

Some people have a nearly militant dislike of the habit...which translates in a complete disregard for the other party.

Should we ban all things that people feel that disgusted about? Meat? Sweets? Loud yelling and talking? Drinking? Kids? I mean the list goes on and on. At what point is enough enough?

And no I don't smoke... I used to. And even though I don't like it now, I try to respect others, especially when it has zero effect on me.
Really? you seriously think that a passerby does not inhale enough to damage their lungs? My neighbor smokes on his front porch and I can tell from INSIDE my house as soon as he lights up. The smell comes right in any open window (except the one side away from his house). I suppose it is only the smell that spreads and not the harmful things in the smoke?

Let us not even get into the parent that drags their young child or infant into the smoking area so that they can have their smokes. These parents should be arrested for child abuse.
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRobin View Post
Do you think smoking should be allowed at the Magic Kingdom?

I feel like there are too many smoking spots. We'll be running from one place to another and suddenly hit with cigarette smoke.

The worst one is the big smoking area next to the Dole Whip stand. After you get a dole whip, it would be nice to sit and enjoy but the whole area is filled with smokers.

Maybe they should just ban smoking in that park?
I, too, think they put that smoking spot in the wrong place - it always catches us by surprise, also such a wonderful place to stop and relax with a dole whip or other. Doubt it matters much to most 'where' they smoke - they just need/want a place to take a puff.

Another place that 'really' annoys me is the Gateway area at Epcot. You have 'no' choice but to run the gauntlet there - it's also a lovely area that everyone should be able to stop and relax without breathing smoke.

As for what a pp said about Disney catching it if they were to ban smoking - people would just have to get over it - they also didn't like restaurants banning it, or other 'smoke free' zones. It's definitely a health issue.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

I think Disney is relying on visitors from outside the USA far too much right now to further reduce smoking.

Tags
ban smoking, magic kingdom, smoking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: