Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
opal
Mouseketeer

Does anyone else think this is a little creepy?

We are FL residents and seasonal AP holders. We visited AK in mid-Nov. We have Magic Bands but never bother with Photo Pass cards unless we are touring with visiting family and friends.

This morning I received an e-mail from Disney Photo Pass telling my photos were about to expire. I open the link thinking somehow I have been sent the e-mail in error and I will be viewing someone else's photos. Instead there is a single picture of my dh and myself on Dinosaur.

We did not ride this on a FastPass or Fastpass+ so we did not scan our bands when entering this ride. EE was down during our FP time so we just wandered over and rode Dinosaur.

Anyone have a reasonable explanation for this or just I just continue to be creeped out?????????
opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Face recognition from a previous photopass?
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Yes that is creepy. Maybe there is a sensor now to scan your band when photos are taken? I don't see how else it knew it was you.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
mulan1123
Mouseketeer

I think it's creepy too. When I came back from WDW a few weeks ago, my friend said to check out the pictures from the Photopass+ and I noticed there were a couple of photos from Space Mountain that were taken from the MVMCP...and I don't remember scanning my MB for the photos or for FP+.

What I want to know, how about some of the other rides like Dinosaur, or Everest Expedition that have the photos and are not on the photopass??
mulan1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

I think it's that the bracelets are read by RFID scanners, long and short range. So it's probably as simple as the band being read by the scanner while you're on the ride, and having the picture placed in your account. So if you had your bracelet on, that's probably all it is.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
chartle
DIS Veteran

Magic bands have an active transmitter that's for the magical experience part of magic plus.

There must be a reader somewhere in the loading platform or the ride.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Robbi
DIS Veteran

The Magic Bands are read at attractions. Your photos are taken w/out your knowledge. It's supposed to be part of the magic but I agree that it is creepy. Kind of Big Brotherish
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Probably the Magic Band. Could be facial recognition, DCL uses it for their version of photopass. I'm not really bothered by it.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
jepperson1
Space Ranger

What exactly are people so paranoid about happening these days? There are security cameras almost everywhere you go. Every time you use a credit/debit card you are linked to that location and the security camera footage can be brought up. Instead of an irrational fear of someone looking at me, I am comforted by the fact that I'm being protected by a security system and police, since I'm not a drug mule. Likewise, I'd probably see the ride photo and be surprised by the lovely memory of my vacation.
jepperson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

I just checked my account and was disappointed that there was no "surprise" photos on there.

On the plus side, our pics with Snow White are hilarious!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
doctornick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
I just checked my account and was disappointed that there was no "surprise" photos on there.
Yeah, I'm actually in the opposite boat than the thread starter. We used our MB as the photopass through out trip earlier this month and I was interested to see ride photos just get automatically placed on there, but none showed up. I wouldn't buy any anyway, so it's not worth it to me to get them added onto our MM+ account, but I think it's a good feature and addition by Disney.

Anyone know why ride photos wouldn't show up on your account if you were wearing MBs all the time?
doctornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
TDSAXX
Mouseketeer

Clearly this is just one example of how Disney intends to recoup it billion dollar investment in FP+/MB. You didn't sign up for Photo Pass or purchase the photo when you came off the ride, so they'll take one more shot at squeezing this extra money out of you.
TDSAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSAXX View Post
Clearly this is just one example of how Disney intends to recoup it billion dollar investment in FP+/MB. You didn't sign up for Photo Pass or purchase the photo when you came off the ride, so they'll take one more shot at squeezing this extra money out of you.
Well, and good on 'em, too! They're not forcing me to buy the photo, they're just giving me one more chance to consider it... if I want!

If they make more money this way, it'll be because people think the product is worth it.

I like it, and hope a bunch of ride photos show up from our next trip in April. Even if we don't buy any, it'll be fun to see them again.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm7e
With the magic band, Disney definitely knows where you are at all times. I realized this while having lunch at Be Our Guest. They didn't give me a rose to mark my table, they delivered my food based on the band. That did creep me out because I was assuming you had to be in close range (and tap the sensor) for it to really work. Instead it's like a Marauder's Map and they are tracking you. (Or will be soon, throughout the parks.)
The ride photo thing doesn't bother me - in fact I think I would kind of like it if all of my ride pictures were automatically sent me so I could check them out later without having to do anything at the time. The BOG thing ^^ did creep me out though - when we were there in October they didn't hand us a rose, saying they'd find us using our bands instead. We actually left my band at our table under a sweater and went off to get our drinks, came back and moved to a better table. When our food was brought to us, the waitress mentioned that we must have moved tables, and I felt a little creeped out. Given how much Disney stresses that there's no gps-type thing on the bands, I was surprised to realize they could track us moving around like that.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
CarouselOfProgress4
Mouseketeer

Yes creepy but very interesting. I can see how guests can feel uneasy about this. On the otherhand many people probably purchase these photos.
CarouselOfProgress4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: