Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
DoughR
Mouseketeer

I became fed up and walked out of Ohana. Was I being unreasonable?

So last night I had a 8:20 reservation for 2 at Ohana. I try checking in 10 minutes early but there were at least two people who walked up--while people were in line waiting to check in--asking for availability. The line was maybe 7groups deep by the time it started moving again. I can't really fault the cast member for this one, she was just being nice and answering questions. According to our table print-out, we checked in at 8:23. We proceeded to wait until about 8:55 to be seated. I step away to use the restroom and tell my brother to ask for a coke if the waiter/waitress comes. I come back and sit down and my brother tells me no one has come by yet. About 10 minutes later a family of 3 is seated next to us to have their drink orders taken a couple of minutes later. So I express interest in leaving and my brother agrees. I tell a cast member I'm on my way out and she gets the manager. She offered me another table and says its probably another 20 minutes out because of the fireworks so I refuse. She gave me her card and told me to contact her if I have any interest in coming back during my trip. Tonight I'll be at Seaword so I'm not sure if I want to make the effort in finding transport from Pop where we're staying and Wednesday we have reservations at BoG. Thursday we leave early morning.

So did I overract? I don't like make cast members feeling bad no matter the issue but last night overall was just an unsatisfactory day.
DoughR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

Almost 40 minutes to be seated... more than 10 minutes just to order drinks... another 20 minutes for a different table...

I would have walked out too.
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJo View Post
Almost 40 minutes to be seated... more than 10 minutes just to order drinks... another 20 minutes for a different table... I would have walked out too.
Yeah no kidding. I don't think you overreacted at all. I would have probably been pretty hungry that late in the evening and that's a ridiculously long wait!

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
ChiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
pandas138
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJo View Post
Almost 40 minutes to be seated... more than 10 minutes just to order drinks... another 20 minutes for a different table... I would have walked out too.
Me too! You had an ADR that should have been honored within a reasonable time. Never had a wait like this even Christmas week.
pandas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Nope. I'd have walked out too.

Ohana is my favorite Disney meal, but the service there is on par with Planet Hollywood's. Rude and slow.
sonofanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
spodie
Mouseketeer

Based on what I have heard from others, and my own experience, the service at O'hana is not great. Where I have personally never had an awful experience with the service, it has always been lackluster at best (drinks not getting refilled, plates not cleared off for an unreasonable amount of time, etc). Based on this information, I wouldn't be surprised if you did have a server assigned to your table who had not given you any attention. Of course, it could have always been a miscommunication between servers, but the server reputation at O'hana does not inspire much confidence in me to take that train of thought.

I know these guys work hard and are probably just following the "move-as-many-people-through-as-possible" orders from the higher-ups, but paying these prices and getting treated like that is simply unacceptable. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and hopefully O'hana will start getting it together soon!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
BrokeMack
Mouseketeer

You overreacted. It is never acceptable to walk out without speaking to management. How do you expect them to correct a problem they aren't aware of?
BrokeMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Wow, I would not have waited 10 minutes for a drink order without asking for a manager.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
poison ivy
DIS Veteran

We were at Kona that same night 12/9 for the first dinner seating at 5pm. We didn't get called until 5:20 and there was a huge line for O'hana.

For a party of 2 we were rushing to get out of there around 7pm. We could see O'hana and it continued to have nothing but large crowds of people waiting. It was hectic at both restaurants that night.
poison ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
dminnie
DIS Veteran

I think it's reasonable that you left. Depending on the circumstances, we might have asked to talk to the manager before deciding whether to leave or not. This is one reason I don't like prepaying for my meals by being on the dining plan. If you're on the dining plan and say this is on your last night there, you're kind of stuck with it. If you can't find another TS restaurant, then you'd use a TS just to get a CS meal. I find it funny that people refer to it as OOP when you're not on the dining plan. You still pay for the meals one way or another, on the dining plan or not. (sorry, didn't mean to switch the topic to the DDP)
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminnie View Post
I think it's reasonable that you left. Depending on the circumstances, we might have asked to talk to the manager before deciding whether to leave or not. This is one reason I don't like prepaying for my meals by being on the dining plan. If you're on the dining plan and say this is on your last night there, you're kind of stuck with it. If you can't find another TS restaurant, then you'd use a TS just to get a CS meal. I find it funny that people refer to it as OOP when you're not on the dining plan. You still pay for the meals one way or another, on the dining plan or not. (sorry, didn't mean to switch the topic to the DDP)
We have REALLY enjoyed O'Hana in the past, but now we eat at Kona. After seeing so many nights with a full lobby of people waiting, it just isn't worth it. It may be the only restaurant I know where you can be seated 45 minutes late, then pay almost $200 for a dinner for four people. And people line up for that privilege. It's fun, colorful, great view for many, the first courses are really good, and the CMs have been friendly, but since Disney seems to way overbook, make you wait in a crowded lobby for an unreasonable amount of time, and charge such a premium, we have our great memories of eating there and love eating at Kona now.
over50visits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

I would have been upset too , and yes , probably would have left , I find it long every time though , I think they need to re-organize or stop taking too many ADR's or walk up's .
I choose not to go there anymore as it is never pleasant , I prefer to go somewhere where I get great service and it is not a madhouse , spend all day fighting the crowds in the parks , when it comes time to sit for dinner , I want some R&R with good , polite service .
WLV-jan 2nd,2010 , AKL july 2011 , ASMo2012 , AKV 2012 , july 2013 Universal/SW/DC
stitchaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
dtats
Mouseketeer

If I would have read this thread prior to our last visit this past August, I would have been more surprised at this happening at a restaurant on property. However, this past August, we finally were able to realize what we could never do during any of the many, many previous trips we've taken to WDW; dine at Ohana. My family very much looked forward to this dining experience and we expected it would be the best one we'd have on our last vacation. Boy, were we mistaken! Long waits, uncaring & rushed staff, and mediocre food do not make a wonderful Disney dining experience.

As we've reflected on the joys (and let-downs) of our past vacation, my family has concluded that we're not ready to give Ohana a second chance just yet. With so many other better establishments to choose from (and yes, we're repeat customers to quite a few), there's no need to waste an ADR there.

Honestly, I've had better food at Cosmic Ray's and Pecos Bills!
dtats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

I won't go back to 'Ohana. It was fun, the food was fine, but I had an ADR back in 2011 at around 6:30 and was not seated for a full 50 minutes after ADR time, even though I checked in a bit early. We waited - it was free dining over Mardi Gras, so I didn't want to mess around trying to find somewhere else to eat with 3 kids ages 6 and under. Plus, I'm generally not the type to just leave. However, I would be very hesitant to go back.

I think you were completely reasonable to leave. I do get that ADRs aren't reservations. but there is no reason for them to seat people with no ADR first or to completely ignore you.

Now a Mom of THREE Princesses.
DD (8) , DD (6) DD (3)

1989: Offsite
Nov 2009: 7 days at Coronado Springs
March 2011: 8 days at POFQ
May 2013: 7 days at Art of Animation (Lion King Suites)
Can't stay away! Heading back to WDW in February 2014: 6 days at Port Orleans Riverside
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Maybe, maybe not. We weren't there, so it's hard to tell. I think before leaving, I would've left one of us at the table and the other one find a CM to tell them you had been overlooked and needed a server. That might have gotten the ball rolling for you without having to miss your meal. It could easily have been a misunderstanding between servers thinking one or the other was taking care of you.

As to the amount of time it took to be seated, that is very common for Ohana and especially around fireworks time.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: