Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
bfamilyx4
Earning My Ears

palo brunch or dinner

hi there. this is our first cruise ever. can't decide whether to do palo brunch or dinner. if you could only do one, which one would it be? We love steaks but are not really into fancy dining if you know what i mean. also, are the specialty coffees/drinks included on your reservations or are they extra? tia!
bfamilyx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
jkmommy
Earning My Ears

My husband and I decided to skip Palo dinner on our next cruise and only do brunch. We have done both several times, and everything we have had at dinner was delicious, but similar to things that we can get at nice restaurants at home. We don't really get a chance to go to brunch at home, so it's extra special for us. But we have thoroughly enjoyed both types of meals and they are both something to experience.
jkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfamilyx4
hi there. this is our first cruise ever. can't decide whether to do palo brunch or dinner. if you could only do one, which one would it be? We love steaks but are not really into fancy dining if you know what i mean. also, are the specialty coffees/drinks included on your reservations or are they extra? tia!
I'd probably do brunch (even though we're doing both next week). At brunch, you receive a complimentary glass of Mimosa cocktail- where you don't at dinner. At dinner you receive a complimentary after dinner drink (it just comes to the table). Both menus are wonderful- but dinner is a heavier meal.
Brunch is more buffet, with your hot entree served by your server. Dinner is table service like a fine restaurant.

I hope that this helps you!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
amejiajr8
Mouseketeer

Brunch was amazing
amejiajr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfamilyx4 View Post
My choice, without a doubt, brunch.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

I've done dinner three times (twice on the Magic and once on the Fantasy) and brunch (on the Fantasy). I wouldn't miss dinner, but brunch for me was just okay. I even had the chicken parm which everyone raves about and I just didn't get the hype. I did like that the view at brunch was amazing. If you eat dinner late it may be too dark to appreciate the view (depending on the time of year).
Old 11-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Brunch.

We try to make it to Palo Brunch every cruise. We are Platinum, and cannot always make ressies online, but we have never been denied a ressie once onboard (we make the ressie on embarkation day - see the Navigator).

Dinner - we usually only partake of Palo Dinner on cruises longer than 7 nights, or for very special occasions. We really enjoy the main dinning rooms and visiting with our new friends.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Lissame
DIS Veteran

Another vote here for the brunch. We never want to miss out on the main dining room at dinner.

As for your other question--anything "specialty" including coffee drinks, cost extra.
Lissame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
lighthouse10
Earning My Ears

I vote for brunch too. DH doesn't like fancy food and didn't think he'd like anything on the dinner menu but found loads of stuff he liked at the brunch. That way we got to enjoy the MDRs at night too.
lighthouse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfamilyx4 View Post
In your case, I'd probably pick brunch. Both are really good meals though and Palo dinner isn't quite as fancy as you may be thinking. Specialty coffees/drinks are extra. You might want to read the review of Palo brunch and dinner I did last year by clicking on the link in my sig below.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I am another one who would vote for brunch. We loved dinner too, but brunch was amazing. Hands down the winner for us.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Brunch.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
epfootballcutie04
DiSnEy PrInCeSs

My hubby and I did Brunch on the dream last year and on the fantasy a few weeks ago and liked it. The dessert buffet was the best part. I liked the chicken parm but the chilled strawberry soup was SOOOOOOOO good.

We did Palo dinner for the first time a few weeks ago and I loved it. SO much! He got the veal and i got the palo tenderloin. We both also got the beef ravioli as the apptz.

The lemon sorbet with blueberry was delicious to cleanse the pallet. and the after dinner complimentary drink was super yummy!

The anti pasta flatbread was something I STILL talk about and would LOVE the find the recipe so i can re create it at home.

We both got the chocolate soufle and it was good, don't get me wrong, but I actually preferred the grand mariner soufle at royal court instead :-)

My overall vote: I would do dinner again in a heart beat. Brunch... eh... i wouldn't be heart broken if I missed it. Except for maybe the chilled strawberry soup. But I don't think that alone is worth the 25 bucks/person lol
Contemporary *1st time to Disney!*- 92...Poly/Wonder Cruise- 01...Sailing on the Magic- 05...Going Home! SSR/OKW- 06...SSR- 07...Pop!- 09...**Disney College Program Spring Advantage!**- 09...All Star Music- 09...SSR/MNSSHP- 10...All Star Movies *Wedding Planning!*- 11...**Married my Prince Charming at WDW!**- Nov 11..Disney Dream- Oct 12...Disney Fantasy MutinEARS- Nov 13...Rockin the Dock Fantasy Sailing- Oct 14

Disney Fantasy Trip Report: November 2nd-9th 2013:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3222476
epfootballcutie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Thumbs up Brunch!

We've done brunch and dinner several times at Palo, and for our cruise next year I plan on only booking brunch.

While dinner at Palo is outstanding, the brunch is an experience unto itself.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
tigger@play
Earning My Ears

Both are great, however brunch it is if I have to pick!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: