Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
benjaminguy
Earning My Ears

Tom Sawyers island change??

I heard that they were planning on changing Tom Sawyers island into Jake and the Neverland pirates island. Seems to be a good idea. Anybody else heard this?
benjaminguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

First I've heard of that rumor. Not really caring for it - lets hope it was from a bus driver.
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran

Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland has been changed to "Pirates's Lair on Tom Sawyers Island" and has a great pirate theme.

Lucille1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
101disneyfan
Waiting for Avatar, Star Wars, Pixar Place...

I had heard that there weren't any plans for Tom Sawyer Island due to it being the very last expansion pad for the Magic Kingdom.

Walt Disney World September 23-25, 2005 CBR, October 6-9, 2007 MNSSHP (Video), June 23-28, 2013 (Video)
101disneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101disneyfan View Post
I had heard that there weren't any plans for Tom Sawyer Island due to it being the very last expansion pad for the Magic Kingdom.
MK can't expand beyond it's current footprint?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
mvk
Mouseketeer

There is room across the Rivers of America, north of Big Thunder Mountain. That area is big enough to fit another FrontierLand or AdventureLand on it. Slightly smaller than the area used for New FantasyLand.

Could be accessed with a Train Stop, a Boat Dock, or building a walkway from where Woody/Jesse meet behind the FrontierLand Station. Also could landscape a walkway from Haunted Mansion over that way.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
OKW Lover

Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101disneyfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
There is room across the Rivers of America, north of Big Thunder Mountain. That area is big enough to fit another FrontierLand or AdventureLand on it. Slightly smaller than the area used for New FantasyLand.

Could be accessed with a Train Stop, a Boat Dock, or building a walkway from where Woody/Jesse meet behind the FrontierLand Station. Also could landscape a walkway from Haunted Mansion over that way.
Agree that there is lots of room around the MK to expand it if Disney wanted to. They might have to re-route a road or build a bridge to do it, but nothing too difficult. Take a look at Google Maps for Walt Disney World and zoom in on the MK.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Spacepest
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille1963 View Post
Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland has been changed to "Pirates's Lair on Tom Sawyers Island" and has a great pirate theme.
Yes it has, but its more of a Pirates of the Caribbean theme, not Jake and Neverland Pirates.

I was honestly a bit skeptical about the change, but spent an hour exploring the rethemed and refurbished island, and found it to be awesome! At first I was a bit disappointed to hear that Tom Sawyer's island had been rethemed...but the retheming was so good that I was happy to let go of my disappointment.
Spacepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
OKW Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepest View Post
Yes it has, but its more of a Pirates of the Caribbean theme, not Jake and Neverland Pirates.

I was honestly a bit skeptical about the change, but spent an hour exploring the rethemed and refurbished island, and found it to be awesome! At first I was a bit disappointed to hear that Tom Sawyer's island had been rethemed...but the retheming was so good that I was happy to let go of my disappointment.
Got to agree with this. I was amazed at how much more DL makes of Tom Sawyer's Island as compared to WDW's version.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Isn't this thread kinda moot?

No major additions/renovations to MK are anywhere close now...
20 years, kids...if we're lucky

The pirate overlay would be an odd play in wdw...unless they are expecting throngs of new people...which isn't reasonable at all on any level.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
PEC
DIS Veteran

I think MK will stay put for a few years. DHS and AK is where the next upgrades will happen. I would even say behind scenes it would not surprise me if the execs wish they would have upgraded DHS or AK before the new Fantasyland.
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: