Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
RedsDrew
Mouseketeer

Enough is enough... Disney Store open Thanksgiving night?

This is an article from our local Cincinnati Enquirer... It says Macy's opening up on Thanksgiving night is causing all of our local malls to open at 8 PM on Thanksgiving night. And in that mix, the Disney Store indiciated it hasn't yet decided on opening at midnight...

Can't we have a couple days a year where we don't have to deal with big business?!?!?!?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...s-Thanksgiving
June 2014 - BWI; May/June 2013 - POR; May/June 2012 - POFQ; Sept 2011 - POFQ for MNSSHP; Nov 2010 - AKL for MMVCP; July 2010 - Pop Century for 4th of July; May/June 2010 - Contemporary; Apr 2010 - CBR; Nov 2009 - POR for MMVCP[/B]
RedsDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

You don't have to deal with big business on Thanksgiving, "Black Friday" or any other day. Just stay home on the days you don't want to shop. You couldn't pay me enough to go out shopping on Black Friday or Thanksgiving eve and fight those crowds.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

I'll stick with cyber Monday. I don't care when shops want to be open, I just hope they only recruit volunteers to work instead of forcing anyone in on holidays...
Old 11-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
ShayBells
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
I'll stick with cyber Monday. I don't care when shops want to be open, I just hope they only recruit volunteers to work instead of forcing anyone in on holidays...
My experience I customer service is that EVERYONE has to work. Even if you are part time or if you said in your job interview that you can't work Fridays. It doesn't matter everyone works "Black Friday"

I like the idea of volunteers but nobody probably would. Or at least not enough. I quit one job cause they tried to make me work Christmas when I was a teenager. I didn't NEED the job and they were over staffed. But it makes it fare if everyone has to work I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
ShayBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
bmwdw
Earning My Ears

I formerly worked retail, company will not be named, and worked my way into a management position. EVERYONE worked "black Friday" as well as most of the weekend. The company allowed for extra hours so part time basically became full time and full time got over time during the weekend and most of the holidays. The standing rule was if you did not show up to work on "black Friday" you no longer had a job. Food was brought in and breaks were scheduled so that the store was always properly staffed. So volunteering is not an option. Wanting a job and showing up was volunteering. I hated those years and will hopefully never go back to them. The only way to stop it is to stop shopping. Because as the big company sees a way to make a dollar they will and do.
bmwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsDrew View Post
This is an article from our local Cincinnati Enquirer... It says Macy's opening up on Thanksgiving night is causing all of our local malls to open at 8 PM on Thanksgiving night. And in that mix, the Disney Store indiciated it hasn't yet decided on opening at midnight...

Can't we have a couple days a year where we don't have to deal with big business?!?!?!?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...s-Thanksgiving
~Nope, nothing seems sacred anymore. Last Thanksgiving, we were headed home from visiting family when all of a sudden traffic stopped. The Walmart was jammed packed on Thanksgiving night. There were police, people protesting with picket signs, it was a mad house. Curiosity got to me and I had to see what we were missing. There people laying all over the floor waiting for $300 50 inch plasma's and people were complaining that the store only had a few. And, then a confrontation broke out just as we were running out of there. But yeah, I stopped doing serious Black Friday and after Christmas shopping years ago. I see no signs of this trend going away. It is what it is.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

If everyone would refuse to patronize stores on Holidays all this craziness might end. It has been getting progressively worse since the time I first worked in Retail in the early 70's when states started dropping the "Blue Laws" and businesses opened up on Sundays.

I remember the first year the company I worked for opened up on Thanksgiving Day...people went nuts grabbing up the 3-Hour specials it was so busy there was no turning back Thanksgiving Day would never again be a day that the Store was closed

I at times wanted to reach out and choke the living you know what out of the customers who as I checked them out said " It is a shame you have to work on a Holiday" and I wanted to say back Yes it is If only You people would stay home I wouldn't have to!

I refuse now to shop on Thanksgiving, Black Friday and New Years!

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
raeolight
Ears to the ground Eyes to the Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayBells

My experience I customer service is that EVERYONE has to work. Even if you are part time or if you said in your job interview that you can't work Fridays. It doesn't matter everyone works "Black Friday"

I like the idea of volunteers but nobody probably would. Or at least not enough. I quit one job cause they tried to make me work Christmas when I was a teenager. I didn't NEED the job and they were over staffed. But it makes it fare if everyone has to work I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I quit my job at Hobby Lobby because my manager wouldn't give me black Friday or Saturday off. I was extremely part time,only worked Saturdays to begin with. Had been with the company five years and knew they didn't need me. The reason I wanted off after working all the years prior? My grandpa was dying and it was to be my last thanksgiving with him. Sadly he died a week and a half earlier but damage was done and I had already put in my two weeks. It was a financial hardship for a while but I eventually found a job at a local frame shop that takes the person into consideration.
raeolight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
GoofyCampers09
Earning My Ears

Working in health care I've always worked a holiday weather it's thanksgiving or Christmas etc but I always try to get Black Friday off I'm one of those freaks who love the challenge of shopping on that day, I time myself to see how fast I can get in & out with what I need! I make a list split up with my husband and go hahaha but I do have to say it always amazes me how down right rude some people are!!
GoofyCampers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Mk0323
Earning My Ears

I think it's crazy too and feel bad for the employees.....but think about the Disney resorts. They operate every day. I was a CM for nearly 12 years. I remember my first couple of years, I worked EVERY major holiday. I don't think most guests who decide to vacation over holidays really appreciate the cast members who are there ....and that they have to miss time away from their own family's to make guests holidays magical.
Mk0323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk0323 View Post
I think it's crazy too and feel bad for the employees.....but think about the Disney resorts. They operate every day. I was a CM for nearly 12 years. I remember my first couple of years, I worked EVERY major holiday. I don't think most guests who decide to vacation over holidays really appreciate the cast members who are there ....and that they have to miss time away from their own family's to make guests holidays magical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
Should I feel bad about being at WDW on Thanksgiving?
All WDW employees, everyone at all airlines and hotels everywhere, convenience stores / gas stations, not to mention the doctors, police, EMTs, etc. Lots and lots of people work holidays.

I work retail, and although I haven't had to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas yet, I've worked pretty much every Black Friday Christmas Eve, and "Boxing Day." Tradition is just another word for routine. When you've worked dozens of Christmas Eves, work is just another thing you do on that day.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
mikek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
All WDW employees, everyone at all airlines and hotels everywhere, convenience stores / gas stations, not to mention the doctors, police, EMTs, etc. Lots and lots of people work holidays.

I work retail, and although I haven't had to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas yet, I've worked pretty much every Black Friday Christmas Eve, and "Boxing Day." Tradition is just another word for routine. When you've worked dozens of Christmas Eves, work is just another thing you do on that day.
boiler operator's, security guards, bakers, etc, etc. there's tons of them when you think about it.
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk0323 View Post
People that go to work at Disney World know that it is open every day of the year. People that work as nurses (like my daughter) in a hospital, know that it operates 24/7. Somebody that went and got a job at the Disney Store 2 years ago probably never expected it to be open on Thanksgiving Day.

Just wait, 5 years or less and stores will be open on Christmas Day too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I work every Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day. I am a waitress. the days of the only restaurant open on Christmas day being the Chinese rest. (like the movie Christmas Story) are long gone.

however, restaurants have always long been open on Mother's day, easter, father's day. ever think when you were a kid that the waitress was a mom?

my family gets together on a dif. day to celebrate. at least my sons don't have to argue with their wives about which family to be with!

if a restaurant is open, don't feel bad about going. the staff is working, whether you are there or not. they might as well make some money!

I like it because usually people tip generously, being the holiday and all. I would rather be home, but this is my job. I knew it going in.

so, if no one wants to cook, consider dining at a restaurant this thanksgiving! those of us who are there anyways appreciate your business! happy thanksgiving!
We went to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner last year, the tip we left was more than double what we would normally tip because we wanted to thank the Server for being there.

Last edited by disney1990; 11-16-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Changed incorrect word.
disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Bravo to P.C. Richard & Son (a major electronics and appliance retailer in the Northeast with 66 locations). Here is the ad they have put in area newspapers:

Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Another post where people need to learn to "mind yo own"
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: