Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
matthewhavens
Mouseketeer

How Strict Are Height Requirements?

I laid DS3 on he floor and pulled out the measuring tape...39.5 inches.

He's so close to so many great rides at Disney. I know socks and shoes will get him closer and we've got 29 days until our trip, so he could always pick up a quarter inch.

The trip is for me, DW, DD5 and DS3. We don't like to split up and have never done any rides with height restrictions. We really just want to do Splash Mountain and may not get back to the World for a number of years.

Just how strict are the CMs with the height requirements? Are they more lenient with certain rides? Do they measure at more than one point in the line? I know I'll get burned with this one but do you have any tricks for getting that extra half inch?
matthewhavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
o0quirkygirl0o
just a little mischievous

Strict. Height requirements are a safety concern. Being too short means you are too small for the restraints to properly hold you in.

Me DH
o0quirkygirl0o is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
matthewhavens
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0quirkygirl0o View Post
Strict. Height requirements are a safety concern. Being too short means you are too small for the restraints to properly hold you in.
Does Splash Mountain have restraints? I thought you just sit in a log?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
o0quirkygirl0o
just a little mischievous

Yes. There is a lap bar.

Me DH
o0quirkygirl0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
soulmates
traveling through life, with the one I love

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

In a word...VERY! When we took our youngest at age 5, she was fairly small for her age. EVERY ride she was asked to stand by the height chart. She was able to ride everything but Space Mountain. When in doubt, they'll ask to see them stand by that chart.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Ashlander
DIS Veteran

Yes - they definitely will not let the kids ride if they are too small. Our youngest is finally able to ride most of the rides and loves them all! Now it is my oldest that does not want to ride!

Me, DH, DS(11), DD(10), DD(8)

Ashlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Sco
Mouseketeer

I have never seen anyone have to take their shoes off but they do check pretty well. If it is close, most CM's will work to have the child stand up straight and a few will let hair count if it is not poofy. Just check when you are there. Shoes can make a difference as long as they are not high heels or anything they will be fine.
Sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Very strict, as they should be. Height restrictions are due to safety concerns as to how well a restraint systems will work on the rider (or the lack there of). These restrictions are actually made by the company who made the restraint system or ride system and are then adjusted by the company using it. Not all restrictions are due to just restraints though, but other mechanisms of the ride.

Disney will check multiple times on a rider who is close to the restrictions. This is to prevent someone from doing something to get their child past the first person and then them getting on the ride when it would not be safe. They know the tricks and have seen it all. So there is no point in trying to beat the system (plus, discussions of such tricks often get deleted and posts locked since discussing ways to get around Disney policy is not allowed on the boards).

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulmates View Post
In a word...VERY! When we took our youngest at age 5, she was fairly small for her age. EVERY ride she was asked to stand by the height chart. She was able to ride everything but Space Mountain. When in doubt, they'll ask to see them stand by that chart.
exactly...
Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Practice good posture, and ride the height requirement rides first thing in the morning. Your spine settles throughout the day, so you get slightly shorter as the day goes on. Good luck!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

If there's one way to push some of the threads everyone's tired of down the list, it's by stirring up an old sensitive topic!

Let me summarize some of what you'll hear:

First, you will be scolded

1) How dare you
2) It's for your child's safety you monster

You'll get some more objective advice

1) They will measure at front of line and end, if you skirt the front one but get stopped on the second then you have wasted your time.
2) CMs will vary just like they do in every job
3) CMs can and have asked children to remove shoes to measure
4) They can and have looked for unusually high heeled shoes

Generally you probably will be fine if he is tall enough in normal looking shoes. Be sure he knows to stand straight up (there is a tendency to slouch as if to get under the bars, but the goal is to touch it) and not stand on his tip toes.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
matthewhavens
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
If there's one way to push some of the threads everyone's tired of down the list, it's by stirring up an old sensitive topic!

Let me summarize some of what you'll hear:

First, you will be scolded

1) How dare you
2) It's for your child's safety you monster

You'll get some more objective advice

1) They will measure at front of line and end, if you skirt the front one but get stopped on the second then you have wasted your time.
2) CMs will vary just like they do in every job
3) CMs can and have asked children to remove shoes to measure
4) They can and have looked for unusually high heeled shoes

Generally you probably will be fine if he is tall enough in normal looking shoes. Be sure he knows to stand straight up (there is a tendency to slouch as if to get under the bars, but the goal is to touch it) and not stand on his tip toes.
I hadn't even thought of the possibility of having to take his shoes off. He definitely wouldn't make it without the shoes.

I don't blame the kids from shying away from the bars. When he was finally tall enough for Barnstormer the CM whacked him in the head with the bar and we almost didn't ride because he was crying from being hit in the head with a wooden bar. Then when we came back for a second ride we almost didn't make the height requirement because he kept ducking under the bar. Hmmm....I wonder why?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
princessmocha
Mouseketeer

In our experience they are VERY. There was a tiny gap with my daughter (where the day before there wasn't) and it was a no go for that day. I think it was the different shoes she had on. But they have been very diligent in my experience, so be prepared that your child may not be able to ride some of the things.

princessmocha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewhavens View Post
I hadn't even thought of the possibility of having to take his shoes off. He definitely wouldn't make it without the shoes.

I don't blame the kids from shying away from the bars. When he was finally tall enough for Barnstormer the CM whacked him in the head with the bar and we almost didn't ride because he was crying from being hit in the head with a wooden bar. Then when we came back for a second ride we almost didn't make the height requirement because he kept ducking under the bar. Hmmm....I wonder why?
As mentioned, just make sure the shoes are reasonable and you won't have to take them off. If he is wearing those shoes were the sole is 3 inches thick, then they may ask him to take off the shoes.

Do not have him wear thin soled shoes or flip flops, they do not add enough height. Brand new normal sneakers work best to get the most out of height without circumventing Disney policy.

Also teach him to stand tall, but dont go up on his toes. I do see a lot of kids fail becaus they try to look up at the bar which curves the spine. Look straight ahead and pull back the shoulders, chest out, all of that...
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

On our trip in September, the CMs were very strict about the height requirements. However, they did also take the time to make sure my daughter was standing up very straight, had her feet against the measuring stick, etc. Basically, they did everything they could to legitimately see if she could meet the height requirement.

There was only one ride where she didn't quite measure up, and the CM let it slide, which was Stitch's Great Escape. And honestly, I don't even know why there are restraints and a height requirement on that ride anyway, as it's indoors and doesn't really move. It's more of a show than a ride, and there's no concern about someone going flying out of a ride vehicle or something.
Autumnslight is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: