Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
MichaelaF
Mouseketeer

New Monorail?

So here's a fun - albeit unlikely one - for you.

While at Disney last week, we were the only ones on the bus to Downtown Disney (from Wilderness Lodge - so this was an official Disney bus and a cast member driver) and ended up chatting with the bus driver. In a series of things he was listing about new and upcoming things at Disney (the new Land and Sea cruise package, the new Disney Springs, etc), he casually mentions that Disney already has the property bought and plans made for a direct monorail between the Orlando airport and WDW.

Whaaaaaaat.

We've all heard that the Monorail will likely never be expanded due to cost-effectiveness, and given that Orlando airport is 20+ miles away, that sounds like crazy talk. So I kinda dismissed it at the time.

But I DID note that in the podcast the other week, the news about the airport expansion mentioned a new "peoplemover". Perhaps they are building a monorail within the airport? Also, how GREAT would it be if they really did build a monorail from the airport to the TTC?!

(What I really want is for them to connect the monorail to the Wilderness Lodge. IT'S RIGHT THERE, PEOPLE. IT WOULD COST LIKE FIVE DOLLARS. *rant*)

NEXT TRIP: Nov 2014 - Fort Wilderness!
March 2014 - Disneyland Off-site
Oct 2013 - Fort Wilderness and Villas at Wilderness Lodge
1994 - Polynesian Resort - Concierge and Magic Kingdom View
1992 - Polynesian Resort
1984 - Disneyland
MichaelaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I doubt it....but that would be awesome!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
MichaelaF
Mouseketeer

Hey now, I just report them like I hear them!

(That's why they are "rumors"...)

NEXT TRIP: Nov 2014 - Fort Wilderness!
March 2014 - Disneyland Off-site
Oct 2013 - Fort Wilderness and Villas at Wilderness Lodge
1994 - Polynesian Resort - Concierge and Magic Kingdom View
1992 - Polynesian Resort
1984 - Disneyland
MichaelaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Oh, those bus drivers!

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
aleksandr
Mouseketeer

In every rumour there are usually nuggets of truth...

There were plans, now scuttled, by the State of Florida to build a high-speed rail line between Tampa and Orlando.

Much of the line was supposed to take place in the median of I-4, I believe. The terminus for the eastern end of the line was at the Orlando International Airport and there had been plans to have a station labelled "Walt Disney World", on Disney property.

I believe all of this is now moot, but I could see where these plans could be confused with the concept of a monorail going from MCO to WDW, as you would have been able to do so on the high-speed rail line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_high_speed_rail

Last edited by aleksandr; 10-30-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added link to wikipedia
aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Joben
Mouseketeer

isn't the cost of building more monorail like one million per mile, or even higher than that?

Joben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandr View Post
In every rumour there are usually nuggets of truth...

There were plans, now scuttled, by the State of Florida to build a high-speed rail line between Tampa and Orlando.

Much of the line was supposed to take place in the median of I-4, I believe. The terminus for the eastern end of the line was at the Orlando International Airport and there had been plans to have a station labelled "Walt Disney World", on Disney property.

I believe all of this is now moot, but I could see where these plans could be confused with the concept of a monorail going from MCO to WDW, as you would have been able to do so on the high-speed rail line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_high_speed_rail
On another thread it was posted that a private group is looking into reviving the mco to wdw route.

Can't find anything though.

Last edited by chartle; 10-30-2013 at 07:49 PM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
TinyTim2
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=aleksandr;49961343]In every rumour there are usually nuggets of truth...

I believe all of this is now moot, but I could see where these plans could be confused with the concept of a monorail going from MCO to WDW.

Disney did want to put a monorail in from MCO to WDW. Orlando went bat---crazy over it.The locals wanted a stop at I drive because they felt that Disney was trying to keep people from going off property to spend money. Orlando has a love hate relationship with Disney.
TinyTim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
drstrangelove
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelaF View Post
So here's a fun - albeit unlikely one - for you.

While at Disney last week, we were the only ones on the bus to Downtown Disney (from Wilderness Lodge - so this was an official Disney bus and a cast member driver) and ended up chatting with the bus driver. In a series of things he was listing about new and upcoming things at Disney (the new Land and Sea cruise package, the new Disney Springs, etc), he casually mentions that Disney already has the property bought and plans made for a direct monorail between the Orlando airport and WDW.

Whaaaaaaat.

We've all heard that the Monorail will likely never be expanded due to cost-effectiveness, and given that Orlando airport is 20+ miles away, that sounds like crazy talk. So I kinda dismissed it at the time.

But I DID note that in the podcast the other week, the news about the airport expansion mentioned a new "peoplemover". Perhaps they are building a monorail within the airport? Also, how GREAT would it be if they really did build a monorail from the airport to the TTC?!

(What I really want is for them to connect the monorail to the Wilderness Lodge. IT'S RIGHT THERE, PEOPLE. IT WOULD COST LIKE FIVE DOLLARS. *rant*)
If it were going to be built, it more likely be a Light Rail, which cities all over the world are building to bring people from airports to transit hubs. Portland Oregon sort of lead the charge on this and it has proved hugely successful.
drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangelove View Post
If it were going to be built, it more likely be a Light Rail, which cities all over the world are building to bring people from airports to transit hubs. Portland Oregon sort of lead the charge on this and it has proved hugely successful.

This would be much more likely then a extended Monorail. They use trolley type cars or the latest is *pods*, computerized pods, with 4 to about 20 guests capacity.

It would be interesting!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

And to add...

The majority of Disney buses do and have run for a decade on compressed natural gas... Not diesel.

They typically aren't waiting in line next to the Hess station for a fillup
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
And to add...

The majority of Disney buses do and have run for a decade on compressed natural gas... Not diesel.

I work for a shuttle bus company and just yesterday we got another big shipment of propane tanks for our shuttle buses so yes the diesel issue is not that big of a deal.

A bigger deal and something I bring up in every "Why don't they expand the monorail, it would pay for itself?" threads is that now you have all your eggs on on a fixed track, i.e. if a train breaks down the line shuts down and whats the back up, buses.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
Miked0292
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
And to add...

just to add, DME are NOT Disney buses, they are Mears a 3rd party company, they are not owned by Disney as a DME driver told us once the buses have large enough fuel tanks to last the day so they are not needed to be filled every so often.

Otherwise Disney owned uses are fueled at a central Hess station, i.e. the on bu the MK parking lot, they have a shop of sorts right there , with buses being fueled and washed.

06/09,06/10,12/10,4/11,12/11,2/12,10/12,12/12,2/13 Beach Club 10/13 Carribean Beach
Miked0292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miked0292 View Post
just to add, DME are NOT Disney buses, they are Mears a 3rd party company, they are not owned by Disney as a DME driver told us once the buses have large enough fuel tanks to last the day so they are not needed to be filled every so often.

Otherwise Disney owned uses are fueled at a central Hess station, i.e. the on bu the MK parking lot, they have a shop of sorts right there , with buses being fueled and washed.
Isn't Mears also the contractor to operate the on-site buses too? Mears pretty much owns all transportation that runs on rubber tires in Orlando.

People forget that even though the "designs" for monorail trainsets, etc. exist, it does NOT mean they are cheap to make. Those designs are 25 years old now. It can be difficult to get the electronics, etc. now. And these are not commodity designs - a contractor would need to take on building them, without being able to capitalize on mass production savings - they are one-off productions. Full new trainsets will be expensive, period. They did build Peach, but some of the parts came from the wrecked ends of Purple and Pink, and Disney never said how much they paid for it.

In addition, monorails remain an inflexible system. If there is a problem on a line, the line is pretty much shut down until it is resolved. You can't bypass blocks as there are no switches to do so. Switches for monorails are more cumbersome than normal rail.

If they want to do some sort of rail system, you are more likely to see light rail...commodity trainsets, proven standard technology, etc. If an "automated personal transport" system ever gets off the ground anywhere, you might see it at WDW at some point.

But given they already have the bus infrastructure, which is extremely flexible and easily expandable, I don't think you'll see ANYTHING but buses in at least 20 years, if ever. I think you are more likely to see the monorail go away, frankly. Not that anyone wants that.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: