Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Where is Disney going with Magic Bands?

After reading through a lot of posts about Magic Bands and current guests' experiences, it has me wondering where Magic Bands / MDE will be in another year or two (or several years down the road).

Will paper FP- really disappear in a few months? If so, will guests still get only 3 FP+ per day, at one park?

Does Disney have anything else in mind for MDE other than Fastpasses?

What do you think?

Here are some of my guesses:

1) FP+ was rolled out as a way to get guests to spend less time in line and more time in gift shops and restaurants. The current limit of 3 per day doesn't do that - instead, it's probably leading to MORE time in line for most people who are used to getting twice as many FP- (or more) per day. AFAIK, guests can book one ride per window, and each window is one hour. I would not be surprised if eventually every hour of the day is filled with Fastpass reservations. You'll literally be able to plan your way around every park.

2) If Disney allows one ride per hour, and the average wait is 20 minutes or so plus maybe 10 minutes per ride, that leaves guests 30 minutes out of every hour to stand around waiting for their next ride (assuming they picked a ride nearby, instead of crisscrossing the park). Plenty of time to do some shopping or pick up a snack.

3) Of course, if everybody can schedule every single hour, then they'd fill up the fastpass lines entirely, and there'd be no standby line, thus eliminating the entire system. So, Disney has to limit the number of FP+ somehow. Perhaps off property guests get fewer FP+, or maybe Deluxe resort guests get more than Value resort guests.
Here's my guess:
Off site: 3 FP+
Value Resort: 6 FP+
Moderate Resort: 9 FP+
Deluxe / DVC Resorts: 12 FP+ (the whole day)

4) Disney eliminates Extra Magic Hours. The whole point of EMH is to experience the parks when they're least crowded, so you can go on more rides. Keeping the parks open that extra hour is expensive for Disney - if they can accomplish the same goal by giving resorts guests more FP+, they can save money.

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else has any ideas about where Disney can/might go with the whole MDE system.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
StuckInKS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else has any ideas about where Disney can/might go with the whole MDE system.
NO!!!!!! I hope you are wrong! For me, EMH are not about experiencing the park when it is least crowded, I just being in the parks after midnight (plus, it allows us to get a late start).

I with all the glitches that are still happening with FP+ and MBs, I think it would be silly for Disney to completely get rid of FP- machines so quickly. At least give yourselves time to work out the kinks!
StuckInKS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

You could be right but I just get the chills even thinking about having every hour scheduled in that manner. That is not a vacation to me.

I know that people wouldn't have to go to their scheduled FP+ ride but what would the standby lines look like particularly if offsite visitors only get three? They certainly wouldn't have as much time to spend money...

It's interesting to think about.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
After reading through a lot of posts about Magic Bands and current guests' experiences, it has me wondering where Magic Bands / MDE will be in another year or two (or several years down the road).

Will paper FP- really disappear in a few months? If so, will guests still get only 3 FP+ per day, at one park?

Does Disney have anything else in mind for MDE other than Fastpasses?

What do you think?

Here are some of my guesses:

1) FP+ was rolled out as a way to get guests to spend less time in line and more time in gift shops and restaurants. The current limit of 3 per day doesn't do that - instead, it's probably leading to MORE time in line for most people who are used to getting twice as many FP- (or more) per day. AFAIK, guests can book one ride per window, and each window is one hour. I would not be surprised if eventually every hour of the day is filled with Fastpass reservations. You'll literally be able to plan your way around every park.

2) If Disney allows one ride per hour, and the average wait is 20 minutes or so plus maybe 10 minutes per ride, that leaves guests 30 minutes out of every hour to stand around waiting for their next ride (assuming they picked a ride nearby, instead of crisscrossing the park). Plenty of time to do some shopping or pick up a snack.

3) Of course, if everybody can schedule every single hour, then they'd fill up the fastpass lines entirely, and there'd be no standby line, thus eliminating the entire system. So, Disney has to limit the number of FP+ somehow. Perhaps off property guests get fewer FP+, or maybe Deluxe resort guests get more than Value resort guests.
Here's my guess:
Off site: 3 FP+
Value Resort: 6 FP+
Moderate Resort: 9 FP+
Deluxe / DVC Resorts: 12 FP+ (the whole day)

4) Disney eliminates Extra Magic Hours. The whole point of EMH is to experience the parks when they're least crowded, so you can go on more rides. Keeping the parks open that extra hour is expensive for Disney - if they can accomplish the same goal by giving resorts guests more FP+, they can save money.

~I can't envision the legacy fastpass going away any time soon. Disney will have to phase legacy fp out gradually after everything associated with Magic Bands is in place and fully operational. My guess is a couple more years, maybe a little sooner if everything goes smoothly. I think Magic Bands will finally debut with the grand opening of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train -- that was my original prediction from the onset.

~Disney should allow one FP+ per hour with a max limit or at least every other hour with no limit. But, I think three will be the magic number. However, Disney also said there will be no set number in terms of fastpass availability concerning the Magic Bands -- as they intend to gauge attendance and make adjustments accordingly. I just don't know about that because it's so much easier to allocate the same number of fastpasses to everyone and be done with it.

~And, even though I only stay Deluxe Concierge, I absolutely despise the concept of Disney giving families who stay at Value resort less fastpasses than families who stay at Deluxe resorts. No way -- they better not! I'm also looking at the Four Seasons, so I do wonder how that will play out.

~I think Disney should monetize FP+ and Magic Bands by making them available for purchase as an add-on to *anyone* with a park admission ticket, and keep the legacy fp in place for everyone else. And, also make MDE exclusive to Magic Band/FP+ users only.

~Disney needs to add more EMH, not less. It is so hot in late August during the day, so the evening & nights are just fabulous to be in the parks! I want morning & evening EMH, every single day at every park! Is that too much to ask???

~I really don't think so.

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 10-29-2013 at 05:41 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

From my recent experience and reports of others, FP- is already being phased out-- they are already not available by noon on most occasions because of the reduced number.

Also EMH are greatly reduced and probably will continue to decline. IMO.

My thoughts on the FPP alotment--

Maybe pre booking will be tiered-- but when in the park, as you use one, you will be able to schedule a new one for the same day. Everyone will still have the option to use as many as they want, but not pre book more than a set amount.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
mickeyfan0805
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
[B][COLOR="Magenta"]~I can't envision the legacy fastpass going away any time soon. Disney will have to phase legacy fp out gradually after everything associated with Magic Bands is in place and fully operational. My guess is a couple more years, maybe a little sooner if everything goes smoothly. I think Magic Bands will finally debut with the grand opening of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train -- that was my original prediction from the onset.
I think the ship has already sailed on that one. Legacy FP has already been substantially phased out - with the major rides often running out by 10-10:30am. This means anyone not part of the FP+ system is extremely limited in what they have access to. I simply don't see that as a situation Disney could sustain for more than a few months at most.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Legacy FP will be gone soon... each month has shown Disney remains committed to rolling this system out to begin reaping the benefits.

They get tons of benefits from the data mining they can do - both anticipating crowds and measuring what everyone does with their day.

If the system ever gets more flexible we will like it. Until then, Disney has probably decided to take the risk of alienating its frequent visitor base for a while. But if this does not improve, I believe it will backfire and many of us super visitors will plan fewer visits.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
You could be right but I just get the chills even thinking about having every hour scheduled in that manner. That is not a vacation to me.

I know that people wouldn't have to go to their scheduled FP+ ride but what would the standby lines look like particularly if offsite visitors only get three? They certainly wouldn't have as much time to spend money...

It's interesting to think about.
The battle has already been lost...

I never had considered the concept of wdw being a place that I would feel uncomfortable/wouldn't be worth the hassle to go to anymore...
But from my viewpoint it's all but certain.

I've shown them all the loyalty possible (and actually given blood)...but there's no way to save the place for me.

I'm just playing out the string...in my 30's with 2 little kids...our visits will decline... Maybe eventually to every few,five, ten years, etc.

I'd like to know who is truly excited about this thing? I don't mean "tolerate"...or "benefit of the doubt" - I fall Into those categories...
I mean "truly excited"

Can you honestly say that...perhaps other than some of the clinical OCD types...that only the developers of the hardware and the accountants could be geeked up about this?
I'm just curious...
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
jtwibih
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I'd like to know who is truly excited about this thing? I don't mean "tolerate"...or "benefit of the doubt" - I fall Into those categories...
I mean "truly excited"

Can you honestly say that...perhaps other than some of the clinical OCD types...that only the developers of the hardware and the accountants could be geeked up about this?
I'm just curious...
I was thinking this exact same thing the other night. I feel like Disney is not even really making an attempt to "sell" this as a positive thing (whether it really is positive for the customer or not). It seems like a half hearted effort for something that costs $1.5bil to implement. There are WAY too many questions (go see the TPAaS board) that are still unanswered. I get that this is still in the testing phase but I would go ahead and call this 80% implemented with what we are hearing about Legacy FP. Still though there are too many questions for offsite guests and number of FP+ people should/could/will get once fully implemented. The panic this has caused is probably overstated a little on the boards because people are more willing to talk when something negative happens over something positive but it's tough to ignore.

I'm with you on "benefit of the doubt".

Past: Apr 2014 - DCL; Nov 2013 - BWV/AKV; Apr 2013 - DLH; Nov 2012 - AKV; Nov 2011 - WL; Nov 2010 - WL; May 2010 - CSR; Jun 2009 - AKL; Apr 2008 - AKL/WL; Jul 2007 - SS; Aug 2006 - POFQ; Aug 2005 - POFQ; Aug 2004 - offsite
jtwibih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInKS View Post

NO!!!!!! I hope you are wrong! For me, EMH are not about experiencing the park when it is least crowded, I just being in the parks after midnight (plus, it allows us to get a late start).

I with all the glitches that are still happening with FP+ and MBs, I think it would be silly for Disney to completely get rid of FP- machines so quickly. At least give yourselves time to work out the kinks!
EMH and fastpass machines are currently under hospice care...
It's a question of time. Not really a logical argument against it.

EMH doesn't generate revenue to justify the costs (never really has)...and the machines are pointless if they want advance data on rides... Which they do and always have craved like junkies.
The ability to know what's gonna happen before the ball is snapped all but ensures victory... That's what Disney wants.
Guaranteed financial success.

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 10-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
iluvjus
Earning My Ears

We were there last week. We were asked to do a survey for Disney research, we did for 3 days, afterwards I got to speak at length with one of the research members. The conversation included that the old fast pass system is going away, sooner rather than later at that time the # of fast plus + would increase.
iluvjus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjus View Post
We were there last week. We were asked to do a survey for Disney research, we did for 3 days, afterwards I got to speak at length with one of the research members. The conversation included that the old fast pass system is going away, sooner rather than later at that time the # of fast plus + would increase.
Well that's interesting... And is a window into what they're doing here...

I didnt think they'd reveal their cards so early.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Well that's interesting... And is a window into what they're doing here...

I didnt think they'd reveal their cards so early.
I heard from a CM (I know, take with a grain of salt) that off property guest will have a heck of a time getting FPs come Christmas time. The other thing I noticed when we were messing with FP+ last week was how hard the system tried to spread you out with selections and return times. We really had to fiddle with it to get rides times that are close together. And don't even get me started on trying to get two different accounts to match up.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
I heard from a CM (I know, take with a grain of salt) that off property guest will have a heck of a time getting FPs come Christmas time. The other thing I noticed when we were messing with FP+ last week was how hard the system tried to spread you out with selections and return times. We really had to fiddle with it to get rides times that are close together. And don't even get me started on trying to get two different accounts to match up.
If I were going at Christmas and staying off site I might be tempted to do what another poster did. She booked an extra day at the beginning of her trip at a Disney value resort. She already had UCT 5 day tickets. She got magic bands and could schedule FP+ for 5 days over a 14 day period. It didn't matter that she only stayed one day at a Disney hotel. She had already returned home and had no problems at all on her trip. Might be worth paying for one night in a Value to have access to FP+ for your whole offsite Christmas trip.

Just to clarify, I am not going to WDW over Christmas. I plan on waiting until the MB/FP+ situation has been thoroughly worked out. At that point I count on there being several threads here and at Touringplans.com telling me how to best use the new system.
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
iluvjus
Earning My Ears

I agree, trying to change anything was nearly impossible'
iluvjus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: