Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
aznikki22
Earning My Ears

Verizon Wireless on Disney Fantasy?

We are taking the Disney Fantasy to St Thomas St Maarten etc and we have Verizon wireless.. Can anyone tell me if this will work for texting while at our days at sea? I know it will work just fine in St Thomas but Unk about St Maarten. Has anyone experianced this?

Thanks
aznikki22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Found this on the Verizon site.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...d-pricing.html
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

As for your at-sea days, I thought everything goes through Cellular-at-Sea regardless of your regular service provider. I believe the phone rates are something like $2.50 per minute but I don't recall the texting rates.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

Also curious - not about at sea, but wondering what it will cost if we turn on our cell service in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. OP, you said you know it works in St. Thomas - are you charged international rates?

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
CarmenJames865
Earning My Ears

Verizon Wireless and St. Thomas

My husband and I spent 4 days in St Thomas in April of this year and we both have verizon wireless.

I called home everyday to check on the kids (less than a 5 minute call each time) and sent a few text messages and had over $100.00 in roaming charges when we got home.

Keep your phone on Airplane Mode when you are in port because you are charged at a higher rate for text messages, data etc. when you are roaming or out of the country.
CarmenJames865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

I think my phone may accidently slip down between the seats in the car before we leave.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
As for your at-sea days, I thought everything goes through Cellular-at-Sea regardless of your regular service provider. I believe the phone rates are something like $2.50 per minute but I don't recall the texting rates.

Enjoy your cruise!
Although it is handled by Cellular-at-Sea, the rates are different based on the provider. Ie Verizon has different rates than AT&T.

Also, note T-Mobiles new announcement on international roaming to many countries now included. Won't help on the ship itself, but will do when on port.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
jaskie
Earning My Ears

Also, make sure you switch to the international plan before you leave. My last cruise I did it right before I left and then turned it off when I got home. With my plan it was only a couple dollars more for the month, but the cost of the calls and the data was more than cut in 1/2. I only called home once, and shut off my data plan, so didn't get those costs. And the kids phones were locked in the safe.

Penny (jaskie)
Taylor - (20 dx Autism)
Taryn - (18 dx Asperger's)

Been cruise 5 times before on RCCL, Celebrity, and Carnival.
Next cruise on the Fantasy for Thanksgiving
Too many trips to WDW to count -
We moved to FL to go more often.
jaskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
RHSTigerMom
Mouseketeer

Verizon will loan you a global-ready phone if yours is not compatible. You just pay shipping, which is around $20. They also have special pricing for data, etc. My daughter has traveled to Europe twice and it was a painless process both times. Call the Global Services number on the website or it may be in Contacts under Verizon.

Last edited by RHSTigerMom; 10-23-2013 at 07:44 PM.
RHSTigerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Tarabra
DIS Veteran

It's interesting, back in the day before smartphones, there was no roaming in St. Thomas. I always made a quick call from there. But as others have mentioned, be sure to call ahead of time and get the international plan. And also be careful if you see bars on your phone. I know when we were in the Bahamas I saw a ton of people on their phones and texting, but you will still get charged the at sea rates.

Tarabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarabra View Post
And also be careful if you see bars on your phone. I know when we were in the Bahamas I saw a ton of people on their phones and texting, but you will still get charged the at sea rates.
You only get charged the "at sea" rates only if you are on the ship's system, which is turned on only when you are actually at sea (and over X miles from shore) - i.e. if your phone says it's registered to "cellular at SEA." When in port in the Bahamas, including Castaway Cay, the ship's system is turned off, and you'll be connected to one of two Bahamas-based carriers: BTC or BaTelCell (they may in fact be the same company, but there appear to be two networks as far as your phone goes, and not all phones may be able to see both). So, in that case, you're charged whatever your roaming cost to Bahamas is, and can take advantage of whatever discount roaming package you sign up for.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: